12 Hours to Please Me, Ian Broudie
11 Feb 2013
Abbey Road Studios
Ian Broudie chats to Stuart Maconie
Five Facts about Do You Want To Know A Secret
- This was written by Lennon to give George Harrison a solo-spot. Lennon said later; "it only had three notes and he wasn't the best singer in the world", but added "he has improved a lot since then."
- It made #1 in the States but not until 1981 when it featured as part of the Stars on 45 medley.
- It of course made #2 in the UK, later on in 1963, when it was covered by Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas.
- Lennon claims to have made the demo for the song whilst sitting in a lavatory in Hamburg nightclub.
- They did 8 takes in the afternoon recording session between 2.30pm and 6pm.