- WagnerRichard Wagner 1813–1883
- Tristan and Isolde (Tristan und Isolde, WWV 90)(concert performance; sung in German) (284 mins)
- Robert Dean Smith tenor (Tristan)
- Kwangchui Youn bass (King Mark), Proms debut artist
- Violeta Urmana soprano (Isolde)
- Boaz Daniel baritone (Kurwenal)
- David Wilson-Johnson baritone (Melot)
- Mihoko Fujimura mezzo-soprano (Brangäne)
- Edward Price baritone (Steersman)
- Andrew Staples tenor (Shepherd/Young Sailor)
- BBC Singers
- BBC Symphony Chorus
- BBC Symphony Orchestra
- Semyon Bychkov Conductor
About this event
The Wagner bicentenary celebration continues with the composer’s boldest fusion of legend and harmonic innovation, Tristan and Isolde, which forced him to break off work on his Ring cycle – near this very juncture in the Proms Ring, during the composition of Siegfried and before the final instalment, Götterdämmerung.
Semyon Bychkov conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra and a cast led by Violeta Urmana and Robert Dean Smith in a drama where love and death become one.
There will be two intervals of 30 minutes
The Essay: Wagner's Philosophers - explore this series on the philosophical influences on Wagner.
Download a guide to Tristan und Isolde, featuring Antonio Pappano, Donald Runnicles, Sarah Lenton and John Deathridge.
Watch and listen to more music from Wagner from the Proms.