- WaltonWilliam Walton 1902–1983
- March 'Orb and Sceptre' (Orb and Sceptre) (7 mins)
- RubbraEdmund Rubbra 1901–1986
- Ode to the Queen (13 mins)
- Susan Bickley mezzo-soprano
- BruchMax Bruch 1838–1920
- Concerto for Violin No. 1 in G minor (24 mins)
- Vilde Frang violin
- KorngoldErich Wolfgang Korngold 1897–1957
- Symphony in F sharp (50 mins)
About this event
The BBC Philharmonic and its Principal Guest Conductor return to the Royal Albert Hall for the first Proms performance of Erich Korngold’s Symphony. Dedicated to the memory of Franklin D. Roosevelt, the symphony refers back to Korngold’s score for the 1939 Errol Flynn and Bette Davis romance The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex.
Rubbra’s Ode to the Queen and Walton’s Orb and Sceptre celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s coronation, while Vilde Frang joins Storgårds and the orchestra for Bruch’s ever-popular Violin Concerto.