19:30 23 Hyd 2014 Grand HallCity Halls, Glasgow
Wozzeck In Concert Introduction
Semi-staged performance. Sung in German with English supertitles.
- Thomas J Mayer Wozzeck (please note change to originally advertised artist)
- Tom Randle Captain
- Michael Pflumm Andres
- Elena Zhidkova Marie
- Jennifer Johnston Margret
- Nathan Berg Doctor
- Thomas Blondelle Drum Major
- Andrew Greenan First Apprentice
- James Cleverton Second Apprentice
- Peter Van Hulle Idiot
- BBC Singers choir
- The Choristers of St Mary’s Cathedral, Edinburgh choir
- Donald Runnicles conductor
- Kenneth Richardson director
- BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
“Wretches like us – we’ll always be cursed, in this world and the next”. Wozzeck is at the bottom of the heap – an underdog made for kicking, and a soft target for the powerful, the cynical and the cruel. And as his spirit reaches snapping point, Alban Berg’s devastating opera tells the story in some of the most searching – and searing - music of the 20th century. Wozzeck is one of those dramas that everyone needs to experience for themselves, and this semi-staged performance, with Donald Runnicles conducting some of the finest living interpreters of these roles, will leave you reeling.
There will be no interval in this performance.
Prelude: 6.45pm in the Recital Room
Douglas Jarman, author of The Music of Alban Berg, introduces Wozzeck.
There will be no coda after this concert.
To be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3.