14:00 Thursday 6 Feb 2014 Grand HallCity Halls, Glasgow
- MozartWolfgang Amadeus Mozart 1756–1791
- Symphony No. 7a in G major, K 45a
- Richard Strauss 1864–1949
- TchaikovskyPyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky 1840–1893
- Symphony No. 6 in B minor, 'Pathétique'
Mozart's delightful early Symphony in G major, probably composed in 1766/7, acts as a short overture to this programme which continues with another work by this season's featured composer Richard Strauss; leading British pianist Martin Roscoe plays the mini-concerto Burleske. Young British conductor Andrew Gourlay brings the afternoon to a stirring close with Tchaikovsky's intensely personal last symphony, a work which was premiered just nine days before the composer's death.
The concert will be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3.