- ProkofievSergey Prokofiev 1891–1953
- Romeo and Juliet - selection
- Liszt 1811–1886
- Concerto for Piano No. 1 in E flat major
- BartókBéla Bartók 1881–1945
- Concerto for Orchestra, Sz 116
Chief Conductor Juanjo Mena opens this Valentine’s concert with excerpts from Prokofiev’s ballet Romeo and Juliet. The score to the tragic tale of Shakespeare’s most famous young lovers is bursting with some of the most lyrical and colourful music Prokofiev ever wrote. The BBC Philharmonic is joined by virtuosic pianist Stephen Hough for Liszt’s breath-taking showpiece, the First Piano Concerto. And to end, a chance to hear each section of the BBC Philharmonic perform at the highest level in Bartok’s best known orchestral work, his dazzling Concerto for Orchestra.