- Wilhelm Stenhammar 1871–1927
Excelsior! (13 mins)
- Karol Szymanowski 1882–1937
- Richard Strauss 1864–1949
An Alpine Symphony An Alpine Symphony Also known as: Eine Alpensinfonie, Op 64 (50 mins)
- Michael Weinius tenor, Proms debut artist
- BBC National Chorus of Wales
- BBC Symphony Chorus
- BBC National Orchestra of Wales
- Thomas Søndergård Conductor
About this event
Evocations of Nordic forests, Persian gardens and snow-capped mountains feature in Thomas Søndergård’s first Prom as Principal Conductor of tonight’s orchestra.
Wilhelm Stenhammar’s 1896 symphonic overture Excelsior! leads into the opulent sound-world of Karol Syzmanowski’s Symphony No. 3, ‘The Song of the Night’. A journey from dusk to dawn and on into the night, Richard Strauss’s Alpine Symphony is a much a statement of the composer’s personal philosophy as a description of the natural world at its most dramatic.