Chappel Viaduct - focal point of the Colne Valley
Chappel Viaduct is a man made wonder. The first stone was laid in September 1847 and the architectural triumph still stands strong today. It stretches across the floor of the Colne Valley.
Photo by Andrea Abbott from Braintree
The Chappel Viaduct, in the north Essex Colne Valley, is a designated grade one European monument.
According to the book "White's Essex" which dates back to 1848, the first stone to build the viaduct was laid in September 1847.
It was planned to be 1066 feet long and cross the Colne Valley by 30 semicircular arches, each being 30 feet in span.
The height of the rails above the river is 80 feet and the viaduct took two years to build.
Along the top of the viaduct the Marks Tey to Sudbury line crosses the Colne Valley.
Looking through the viaduct
With a tally of seven million bricks it is one of the largest brick built structure in England.
The viaduct is a highly photographed feature of the Colne Valley, and together with the East Anglian Railway Museum attracts visitors and tourists every year.
See more photos of the Chappel Viaduct by clicking on the link below.
last updated: 25/09/2009 at 14:35