Martello Tower 'F' opened to the public this year with a new identity, that of a contemporary restaurant. Tower F restaurant came into being after Roselee decided to find out more about this landmark in her home town.
Built in 1810, it is the only surviving tower with its original drawbridge and possibly the only one still with its moat. There is also a coastguard station on the roof, built in 1888 but now disused.
Roger has researched the various lives of the Tower and has found that up to the 1970's the moat was the home of a children's zoo. Prior to that it housed a model village and prior to that the whole moat was planted with wheat!
Its most recent use before being acquired by the entrepreneurial couple was as a Scout centre and there was talk at one time of using it as an International Scout Camp.
Working together on the project, Roselee painted and chose furniture while Roger undertook the structural work. The whole family have become involved with preparing the restaurant including the choice of colour scheme made by Roselee's daughter.
With couples often now searching for the ever more unusual venue, its not suprising that Roger and Roselee have already taken a provisional booking for a wedding and are now looking at the possibility of licensing the premises for weddings.