East Essex Aviation Society and Museum
The East Essex Aviation Society and Museum have been housed in the historic Martello Tower at Point Clear since its first opening in 1986. The tower is one of the first Napoleonic Forts built in 1805 to repel invasion from France.
The East Essex Aviation Society was formed in 1985 when interest grew locally in the recovery of a crashed American P51 Mustang of the U.S. 479th Fighter Group that was forced to ditch into the sea off the coast of Clacton on 13th January 1945.
Albert Scott, Chairman of the Museum
The Tower was an ideal place to store and preserve the wreckage after it was retrieved from the sea. The remains of this aircraft now takes pride of place along with a memorial display to the pilot, but in addition to this the museum also houses a large collection of displays covering the major conflicts of this century.
On the ground floor are many items recovered from local aircraft crash sites, several displays, an extensive model collection and "Fred's Workshop" where recovered crash site artefacts are cleaned and treated to preserve them from decay.
On the first floor a wide range of memorabilia is displayed as part of the members personal collections. The uniforms and equipment are from the First World War, the Army, Navy, American Forces, The 479th Fighter Group, Homefront, Civil Defence and Royal Observer Corps, RAF and many more organisations.
last updated: 29/07/2009 at 07:54
See photos from across the county