Wheel in the Isle of Man is a product of the Victorian Industrial Age that shaped
the North West of England.
Today the giant red and white structure is the
largest working water wheel in the world.
Designed by Robert Casement, a
Victorian engineer, it was constructed in 1854 to pump water from the Great Laxey
The wheel is over 70 feet in diameter, and 227 feet in circumference.
In its heyday the wheel pumped 250 gallons of water a minute from the nearby
The mines, which closed in 1929, produced a range of minerals
including copper, lead, silver and zinc.
Nicknamed the Lady Isabella
after the wife of the Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man, the wheel was bought
by the Manx Government in 1965 who kick-started its restoration.