Pancras' splendid Midland Grand Hotel was built to service the new railway station
Designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, the hotel was built between
1868-1872 in a neo-Gothic style.
This cathedral to the railway age has an
ornate style which reflects church architecture.
Its pinnacles, towers,
and gables burst with ecclesiastical references.
This grand vision was no
less impressive inside with 450 rooms and corridors sometimes running 500 feet
The best bedrooms had their own sitting rooms with high quality
The station itself was another modern wonder with the largest
single span roof in the world when it was built - 245 feet wide, 105 feet high,
and 620 feet long.
It stands on 690 legs which suspend it 15 feet above
After 20 years of being empty, the hotel is currently being
restored to its former glory.
Today the whole complex is being restored
to its former glory with the renovation of St Pancras Chambers as a hotel and
a new Eurostar station terminal.