cold war kids
Friday 26 October
Californian foursome Cold War Kids performed tracks from their critically acclaimed debut album, 'Robbers & Cowards' in support of the Kaiser Chiefs.
Copy this code to add this slideshow to your webpage:
Sorry we were only able to keep performance videos online for a week after the festival.
- Saint John
- We Used to Vacation
- Passing the Hat
- Dreams Old Men Dream
- Hospital Beds
- Hang Me Up to Dry
- Quiet Please
Minute by minute report, via text message, by the BBC's Sam Bailey.
- 19.31 - Radio 1's Zane Lowe welcomes everyone and introduces... Cold War Kids!
- 19.33 - The gig opens with whistling - not from the crowd, from Nathan on the opening bars of 'Pregnant'.
- 19.39 - Jonathon moves from guitar to keys for 'Saint John'. He's wearing a blue beanie hat and has a cymbal to hit as well!
- 19.42 - The man has a world of percussion to play with. Shakers, tambourine, and a wine bottle that he whacks with a drumstick.
- 19.45 - Crowd's ears perk up as they start 'We Used To Vacation' with a bit of "sometimes I feel like a motherless child"
- 19.48 - The crowd enjoy hearing the single, it's one of those songs you know you've heard even if you're not sure who it was by.
- 19.49 - Jon's ditched his blue hat, but Matt on bass is still wearing his black deer-stalker type thing. Nathan's moved to keys now. He's not wearing a hat.
- 19.51 - Three ladies with string instruments just came on. I'm reliably told it's violin, viola, and cello.
- 19.54 - The backdrop kinda looks like a Jack Daniel's label. "1000 years of solitude yet only 12 years old. Sweet sigh of relief. America's seas."
- 19.58 - The lights dim to a purpley hue for 'Robbers' and the backdrop changes to a kinda nighttime cloudscape with stars. Sweet.
- 19.59 - Big round of applause at the end of 'Robbers'. You can sort of tell that one was a clap for the string trio - they sound ace.
- 20.01 - Someone next to me sees the set list in my pocket and wants to take a peek. She's clearly a fan and I think this will spoil it for her!
- 20.04 - The crowd are quietly enjoying the Cold War Kids. They're mostly Kaiser Chiefs fans, but the music is a good fit. Heads are bobbing across the room.
- 20.06 - Big single time! Woops abound as the familiar bassline of 'Hang Me Up To Dry' twangs out of Matt's guitar. Head bobbing goes into overload.
- 20.07 - It's one of those lyrics the crowd has to point finger in air to sing along with.
- 20.09 - The crowd was really enjoying that. There are audible groans when Nathan announces 'Quiet Please' as the last number.
also at bbc electric proms
- Performed alongside Cold War Kids:
- Kaiser Chiefs via David Arnold
- Mark Ronson with special guests and the BBC Concert Orchestra
- Paul McCartney
- Kaiser Chiefs via David Arnold
- Bloc Party
- Ray Davies and friends
- Agaskodo Teliverek
- Ben Westbeech
- Basquiat Strings
- The Beatles: Help!
- Bob Dylan: The Other Side of the Mirror
- Breed 77
- Charlie Louvin
- The Chemical Brothers
- Cold War Kids
- The Coral
- Daft Punk: Electroma
- Duke Special
- Durrty Goodz
- Edwyn Collins
- The Enemy
- The Flaming Lips:
UFOs at the Zoo
- Kano presents London Town
- Kid Harpoon
- Noah and the Whale
- Once in a Blue Moon:
A tribute to Lal Waterson
- The Metros
- New Cassettes
- Radio Luxembourg
- Reverend and the Makers
- The Riff Raff and Riz MC
- Sam Isaac
- Sigur Rós: Heima
- SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS with Jamie Cullum
- Taio Cruz