charlie louvin with special guests
Wednesday 24 October
Celebrating his 80th year, Country music legend Charlie Louvin, a pioneer of country gospel in the 50's, performed a special show with The Handsome Family and Detroit roots outfit, Blanche.
Copy this code to add this slideshow to your webpage:
Sorry we were only able to keep performance videos online for a week after the festival.
on the bbc
Minute by minute report, via text message, by the BBC's Clare Hudson and Daniela Armstrong
- 21.33 - The crowd is excited as Bob Harris from Radio 2 gives his warm welcome.
- 21.34 - The crowd give Charlie Louvin a standing ovation welcome.
- 21.42 - Country Music Hall of Fame legend Charlie is on splendid form as performs 'This Darn Pen' which enchants the audience.
- 21.49 - The Handsome Family have joined Charlie on stage. Renee says they're so honoured, one of them may burst into flames.
- 21.52 - 'I love you Charlie!' shouts a lady in the audience - 'I love you too darling' replies Charlie in his Alabama drawl.
- 21.59 - The Handsome Family harmonize for the audience favourite 'The Knoxville Girl'
- 22.07 - The pace picks up with a harmonica solo and drums on the 'The Long Journey Home' - toes are tapping.
- 22.12 - The audience joins in singing the 'Worried Man Blues'
- 22.15 - Dan and Tracee from Blanche are back on stage to sing 'My Baby Has Gone' with Charlie.
- 22.19 - Charlie's introducing 'Atomic Power'. Blanche are staying for this one.
- 22.23 - And now it's time for a love song...
- 22.28 - Time for an electric guitar solo from Brett Wilson.
- 22.30 - Charlie asks the audience to give Bob Harris a round of applause.
- 22.36 - Charlie's singing a goodbye song to a rapt crowd. What a star.
- 22.37 - The crowd are on their feet shouting for more. Surely he's going to oblige!
- 22.44 - And a second encore to get them all dancing - the crowd are shouting requests...
- 22.51 - And with a yodel and one final story he's gone. So long Charlie.
also at bbc electric proms
- Performed alongside Charlie Louvin:
- Mark Ronson with special guests and the BBC Concert Orchestra
- Paul McCartney
- Kaiser Chiefs via David Arnold
- Bloc Party
- Ray Davies and friends
- Agaskodo Teliverek
- Ben Westbeech
- Basquiat Strings
- The Beatles: Help!
- Bob Dylan: The Other Side of the Mirror
- Breed 77
- Charlie Louvin
- The Chemical Brothers
- Cold War Kids
- The Coral
- Daft Punk: Electroma
- Duke Special
- Durrty Goodz
- Edwyn Collins
- The Enemy
- The Flaming Lips:
UFOs at the Zoo
- Kano presents London Town
- Kid Harpoon
- Noah and the Whale
- Once in a Blue Moon:
A tribute to Lal Waterson
- The Metros
- New Cassettes
- Radio Luxembourg
- Reverend and the Makers
- The Riff Raff and Riz MC
- Sam Isaac
- Sigur Rós: Heima
- SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS with Jamie Cullum
- Taio Cruz