basquiat strings with special guests
FreeDM Studio, Roundhouse
Friday 26 October
Basquiat Strings are a classically-trained quintet led by cellist Ben Davis, one of Europe's top jazz string players. Nominated for the Mercury Prize this year, they performed at the BBC Electric Proms with recognised tenor saxophonist from New York, Ellery Eskelin as well as leading improvising UK bassist Simon H Fell.
Copy this code to add this slideshow to your webpage:
Sorry we were only able to keep performance videos online for a week after the festival.
on the bbc
Minute by minute report, via text message, by the BBC's Pete Marsh
- 21.43 - The Basquiats take the stage. They have 20 strings between them and Seb Rochford on the drums.
- 21.50 - If Bartok had heard Bossa Nova he may have come up with something like this.
- 22.00 - Cellist Ben Davis takes an extraordinary solo on new piece 'Jack and Jill' which starts off sounding like Janacek and ends up like King Crimson. Sort of.
- 22.10 - Saxophonist Ellery Eskelin and bassist Simon H. Fell join the fray, weaving dense, knotty bursts of free jazz in and out of the lush strings.
- 22.14 - The two double basses are locking horns. It's getting heavy. Eskelin's tenor blasts are threatening to take the paint off the walls.
- 22.20 - Ben promises a wild second set...
- 22.24 - Eskeiln kicks off the second set with a solo that sounds like Lester Young being attacked by ducks.
- 22.30 - They're moving seamlessly from written passages to skronky improv...
- 22.36 - Mr Fell is attacking his bass with a small cymbal. Don't try this at home...
- 22.42 - You might think that mixing baroque strings with free jazz is a silly idea. So did I until about 7 minutes ago.
- 22.48 - Now they're deconstructing Mahler. And it's gorgeous. Really.
- 22.56 - ...and then we're back to the hard stuff...
- 23.05 - And they finish with a beautifully bizarre mash-up that hoovers up about 27 different genres and spits them out in a joyous, tender blast. Fab!
also at bbc electric proms
- Mark Ronson with special guests and the BBC Concert Orchestra
- Paul McCartney
- Kaiser Chiefs via David Arnold
- Bloc Party
- Ray Davies and friends
- Agaskodo Teliverek
- Ben Westbeech
- Basquiat Strings
- The Beatles: Help!
- Bob Dylan: The Other Side of the Mirror
- Breed 77
- Charlie Louvin
- The Chemical Brothers
- Cold War Kids
- The Coral
- Daft Punk: Electroma
- Duke Special
- Durrty Goodz
- Edwyn Collins
- The Enemy
- The Flaming Lips:
UFOs at the Zoo
- Kano presents London Town
- Kid Harpoon
- Noah and the Whale
- Once in a Blue Moon:
A tribute to Lal Waterson
- The Metros
- New Cassettes
- Radio Luxembourg
- Reverend and the Makers
- The Riff Raff and Riz MC
- Sam Isaac
- Sigur Rós: Heima
- SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS with Jamie Cullum
- Taio Cruz