Always be clear about the type of writing you are aiming for. Identify four key areas - genre, audience, purpose and style. Who exactly are you writing for and what are you trying to tell them?
- Genre - what type of text you are writing, eg a magazine article.
- Audience - who will be reading your text, eg teenagers.
- Purpose - eg to convince people to do more sport.
- Style - your chosen writing style, eg informal.
Make notes on these four areas and use them to help plan your writing.
You should also think about:
- content - what you want to say
- organisation - how to lay out and structure your writing
- accuracy - correct spelling and punctuation
- vocabulary - using interesting words to bring your writing to life