- Computers can respond very rapidly to change.
- Systems can run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Control systems can operate in places that humans would find dangerous or awkward.
- Outputs are consistent and error free.
- Computers can process data quickly and machines can operate faster than humans.
Computers are now used to control many types of devices such as:
- air conditioning and central heating systems in large buildings
- security systems and burglar alarms
- manufacturing processes
- traffic lights and pedestrian crossings