Contact us Politics Show
Inside Out Accountability
A New Year's Day baby, my arrival merited one sentence in our local newspaper in Hampshire. From then on, a career in journalism beckoned!
As a junior reporter with the Surrey Daily Advertiser in Guildford, one of my best moments was reporting from Crufts dog show when my colleague Linda asked Lord Snowdon if he was the photographer from the Dorking Advertiser.
The same colleague was ejected from the press bench of a magistrates' court for wearing hot pants (the 70s - those were the days!). At BBC Radio Derby, I was the first woman to join the newsroom staff.
One very cold winter, I was sent to do a story in the Peak District in the middle of a blizzard - only to discover that the news editor's abandoned sports car had been run over by a snow plough and flattened.
The subsequent TV career has been rewarding and fun. I reported from various locations around the world for TV-AM and BBC 2's Travel Show - the latter providing me with one of my most embarrassing moments of all time.
I was doing a voxpop of holiday makers on a nudist beach near St Tropez when a respected, senior colleague from the BBC Birmingham newsroom tapped me on the shoulder. I was wearing clothes but he wasn't - I didn't know where to look!
Working on East Midlands Today has thrown up many challenges.
I particularly enjoyed presenting the programme live from Nottingham's Goose Fair standing on the roof of a public toilet block while seven months pregnant. There's no doubt, it's a glamorous business.
Top 10 list
1. Best Song Ever: Teenage kicks - The Undertones.
2. Best TV Show Ever: Blackadder.
3. Best personal TV moment: Keeping my composure while presenting Midlands Today when a studio cameraman tried to distract me by dropping his trousers
4. Best place in England: The Holly Bush at Makeney in Derbyshire.
5. Favourite / worst food: Worst food: Snake soup ( I was in Hong Kong and didn't realise what I was slurping).
6. Favourite / worst drink: Dry Martini and draught Guinness (preferably not together). Horlicks is the worst.
7. Favourite / worst animal: Lucy, a small black Labrador, aka "the dark destroyer" (so far she's eaten four pairs of new shoes). Worst: A camel in Tunisia. I was being filmed riding it when it suddenly lurched violently onto its knees. It threw me headlong into the sand and then spat on me.
8. Favourite name for boy/ girl: Not really thought about that one!
9. Favourite sport / least favourite sport: Football, I'm a big supporter of Duffield Dynamoes FC, particularly the under 9s and under 10s. Least favourite sport: Skiing. Sadly, I never quite mastered it. Once while filming in the Italian Alps I attempted to do a piece to camera on skis. I collided with the cameraman, but fortunately he said the injury could have been much worse.
10. Favourite politician / historical figure: Vlad the Impaler (I just like the name).
last updated: 19/01/2009 at 11:09