Comments for http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html en-gb 30 Mon 22 Dec 2014 02:16:39 GMT+1 A feed of user comments from the page found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html Edwin Schrodinger http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=99#comment529 521. At 11:19pm on 19 Nov 2010, Papa Bue wrote:'As far as I am concerned, your problem is not with PC world, the Guardian or the daily mail it's with the fact that I am intelligent.'I'm glad one person thinks so. Sat 20 Nov 2010 10:43:17 GMT+1 Len Day http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=99#comment528 #528. bobbgoodukWell said Bob! Brilliant post - everyone should read it! Sat 20 Nov 2010 10:22:54 GMT+1 bobbgooduk http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=99#comment527 Bang on, Stevengrant! The English language has been exported all over the world and, through it, Great Britain has an influence far beyond its natural "size". Great Britain should make use of this unearned capital, but does not.One of the reasons I left the UK 8 years ago was I was sick of hearing the constant bleating and complaining. Perhaps we should preserve that at one of the British traditions.Finding fault with others when the fault lies with ourselves - that's another thing the British are good at - blame the EU, blame the immigrants, blame the Americans, blame the Russians - blame anyone rather than take a cold look at ourselves and identify what WE could do better.There have always been immigrants, refugees and foreign business interests in Britain. Britain's skill, in the past anyway, was to use the energies of these people for MUTUAL benefit. Perhaps this is a tradition we should preserve, for now we just sit there and say "It's not fair". Britain has a rich and extremely varied history, a phenomenal cultural heritage, an adavntage in terms of language influence to die for, and a green and pleasant land to call home. Hey but why look for the positive when you can look for the negative instead? `Always look on the shite side of life`. whistle whistleMy hometown of Stoke on Trent has changed enormously since I was a child. Whole districts of the city (the run-down, back-to-back parts) have become home to many immigrant families, probably much as has happened in most other cities in the UK. Do I see this as negative, that "real" British families are not living in these run-down areas instead? No! When I lived in West London, I enjoyed the fact that I could travel to Southall, get off the train at a station with its name in Punjabi as well as English, that I could walk down the street and see people selling juicy mangoes on the pavement, that I could buy any fruit, vegetable or spice I could imagine. I saw that as an ENRICHMENT of my life, not as an impoverishment.Fish and Chips AND curry! It is possible to like both, they are not mutually exclusive and both are BRITISH traditions. Preserve them for sure but, please, let´s not allow the overarching sense of doom, gloom and misery and the wallowing in it become something the British traditionally engage in, along with binge drinking, teenage motherhood and island mentality. Sat 20 Nov 2010 10:12:20 GMT+1 stevegrant http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=99#comment526 The most important heritage the British have is the English language.Whether by design or not the British have joined countries together with a common means of communication,trade and understanding.Because of our language other nations have a greater knowledge the British people and this great country,small as it appears.We believe that the British are not respected in the world and to fair thats how foriegn owned media report seem to report the worst aspects of us.However whether you live in China,Japan,Russia,USA or any other country on this planet orinary residents will be able to speak English and understand where it came from and have respect for that nation.What more could you ask for? Sat 20 Nov 2010 08:20:10 GMT+1 Sjeh76 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=99#comment525 I read once that everyone in the world alive today is related to both Confucius and Nefertiti, which is an amazing thought.If that's true, culture is really only about different ways of doing the same things, and ultimatly isn't as important as all the stuff we don't seem to be all that bothered about, like being decent human beings.And to be perfectly frank, even if it's not true, then we are still focussing on what makes us DIFFERENT to everyone else rather than what makes us the SAME. The only reason for that that I can think of is that we as a species are faced with an in-built inferiority complex - 'MY culture's WAY better than your rubbish culture!' which makes culture still less important than the aforementioned altruism because it's a clear barrier to our progress as a species.Swish. Come on HYS - have a read of what all the racists have to say! It's a right fun time!Blimey. Sat 20 Nov 2010 08:10:50 GMT+1 Gruffydd ap Llywelyn http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=98#comment524 What part of my heritage would I protect? Being a Welsh-Dane it has to be: Bara brith, Welsh Cakes, Laverbread and Rød Grød Med Flode. There's tidy. Sat 20 Nov 2010 05:32:06 GMT+1 roy smith http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=98#comment523 At 11:55am on 17 Nov 2010, BanglaShields wrote:"No part of my ethnic heritage worth saving exists any more, as the previous government deemed it unacceptable and potentially offensive to the hordes of immigrants (illegal or otherwise) asylum seekers and other ne'er do wells that they welcomed to this country with open arms! And all for the sake of multiculturalism, an experiment with our lives that has never worked in the past and will never work in the future."This will speak for me and my British heritage. Sat 20 Nov 2010 01:30:58 GMT+1 Worldcitizen1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=98#comment522 488. At 3:22pm on 19 Nov 2010, Ben wrote:"Britain is still a beautiful, unique and fasinating country. Rich in cultural heritage and something to be celebrated. Great buildings, stunning landscapes, unique cities and a superb personality. The things that ruin it are the press, whinging and a feeling that we have never had it so bad. Make the most of this country and embrace it's ever changing nature."-------------------------------------------------------------------------I could not agree with you more. England is one of the most beautiful countries on the face of the Earth. To all of the constant complainers who live in England, I suggest that you spend some time on the following website: http://www.picturesofengland.com/I understand that this site won't solve your political complaints but, it should allow you to appreciate the geographical heritage that takes the back seat to few other countries, in terms of beauty. Sat 20 Nov 2010 01:04:33 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=98#comment521 516. At 9:46pm on 19 Nov 2010, Johns the Man wrote:504. At 5:20pm on 19 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote: The teaching of the Holocaust remains within the curriculum. The then Secretary of State Ed Balls confirmed this in 2008, and the present administration have confirmed that it will continue to be the case.Where did you read this nonsense, or is this just another anti-Muslim rant?---------------------------------------------------------------------1. This nonsense, as you have just described it, was a recent matter of debate on the curriculum, which if were paying attention you would have noticed, that is why I raised the matter. 2. As regards "another anti Muslim rant", I served overseas many years ago and have seen their actions first hand, then they were nowhere as evil as they are now, with the bombings and murders they have carried out, supposedly in the name of Islam and Alla, so I don't need to make an anti muslim rant, the muslims have brought all of that on by themselves with no help from anyone else at all.3. So I make no appologies for what I have said. Had the muslims been peacefull then such attrocities as they have been carrying out would never have happened in the first place - maybe that is something you have overlooked? Or maybe you support them?.4. So therefore it follows that they are NOT peacefull at all, or maybe you have failed to notice all the attrocities over the last ten years?5. That is why I have stated that we must never allow these attrocaties to be forgotten - because they must never, ever, be forgotten.---- The reason I ask, is that your OP is lifted verbatim from a spoof anti-muslim diatribe, which can easily be found on the 'Urban Legend' website, and which has been discredited.There has been no debate regarding the Holocaust, and your posting remains a vile piece of racism, fit only for the gutter. Sat 20 Nov 2010 00:23:37 GMT+1 Ralphie http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=98#comment520 459. At 09:05am on 19 Nov 2010, John Sparks wrote:441. At 10:30pm on 18 Nov 2010, Papa Bue wrote:Did you see the story in the papers today (Thurs) about the schoolboy who was threatened with death by a gang of pupils because he supported the poppy appeal? Try that for a start. Look around you.'Typical Daily Mail non-story, with the added bonus for the Hate Mail, that the protagonists were, wait for it... Muslims! Woo Hoo! What a surprise: muslims get cross about boy who supports the troops who are murdering and torturing other Muslims. Stab me vitals!'Oh dear. Does that mean everyone who supports the poppy appeal should be subjected to this sort of treatment by Muslims in your PC world? British soldiers died so you can express your nauseous opinions. And oohh yes, just because it was in the Daily Mail it can't be a story can it? Ignore the fact it appeared in other papers as well. Ignore the fact that this little boy and his family have been terrorised. Ignore what's going on in our schools. Ignore the facts because hey, that's all part of PC Britain. And you know why the Guardian didn't run the story don't you? Because they are more biased than the Daily Mail. But ignore that too. ???The fact that you can't even figure out who to quote (I never said any of what you put my name against, make an effort and look it up) makes me wonder how serious one can take you. My PC world? I shop on Amazon thank you very much. Or might you be referring to that fictitious part of society that according to you rules the world? And if you read my post again - I was arrogantly presuming this story came from the daily mail, and guess what, my arrogant presumption was spot on. And what's the Guardian got to do with it? Haven't read one in years. As far as I am concerned, your problem is not with PC world, the Guardian or the daily mail it's with the fact that I am intelligent. Fri 19 Nov 2010 23:19:19 GMT+1 This is a colleague announcement http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=97#comment519 Should more be done to protect food?No it should be eaten. Fri 19 Nov 2010 23:17:26 GMT+1 Sonofcy http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=97#comment518 Jim Royles shirt Fri 19 Nov 2010 23:05:20 GMT+1 Upemall http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=97#comment517 Johns the Man (516) - Why doesn't anyone remember the King David Hotel outrage? Could it be because the Jews were responsible for it? Fri 19 Nov 2010 22:28:15 GMT+1 Reiver http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=97#comment516 What "part" of my heritage would I protect? The whole of it! I resent government eroding my heritage to create a society that neither I nor my fellow countrymen do not want and have never asked for just to please immigrants that have been allowed to come here against the people's wishes. I guess the main "part" of my heritage I would want to protect would be my democratic rights. Fri 19 Nov 2010 22:10:04 GMT+1 Johns the Man http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=97#comment515 This post has been Removed Fri 19 Nov 2010 21:46:21 GMT+1 endorb http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=96#comment514 Traditional marriage and family Fri 19 Nov 2010 21:09:57 GMT+1 hammersmithjack http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=96#comment513 We`have a national personality that cannot be heritaged. It is however something of which I am proud, a humour, an invention, a spirit, an integrity, a friendliness, a true internationalism which no other country truly approaches. Yes plus an arrogance! But it is suppressed by an awful political system that protects mediocrity, inheritance and inefficiency and which tolerates rudeness, selfishness and violence. We need an overhaul in the Uk to protect the true British heritage. We` invented law and now need to be the first to admit we got a lot wrong. That could be our heritage. Fri 19 Nov 2010 19:55:23 GMT+1 Upemall http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=96#comment512 I would have chosen our industrial heritage. Throughout the provinces, there are heritage centres and museums trying to preserve something of the history that changed the world (for good or ill). The canal network itself is a wonder and deserves to be preserved in some way. Fri 19 Nov 2010 19:42:57 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=96#comment511 510. At 6:44pm on 19 Nov 2010, John Charlton wrote:469. At 1:26pm on 19 Nov 2010, John Charlton wrote: "I would preserve the traditional weights & measures and stop persecuting shopkeepers who please their customers by using them. Their use and our retention of the miles and yards on our roads is just as much a part of our cultural heritage as Shakespeare."-----------471. At 1:41pm on 19 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote: "Shopkeepers are free to sell produce in any units they wish. Miles were officially done away with 40 years ago but still persist. (Look at any OS map after the 1970s - it's in km.) Try not reading the Daily Wail."-------------James, have you ever seen direction signs on our roads? Believe it or not they are in miles. Get out a bit more.----------Please read the OP: We went metric following the W&M Act of 1963, but much of it has never been implemented. All official documents and measurements of roads, railways, land area etc. are metric. Fri 19 Nov 2010 19:04:57 GMT+1 Bob kerr http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=96#comment510 I would protect the countryside from house building, Since we need a million houses for the immigrants!Also good old fashioned beer and Scottish malt whisky.Being allowed to say what i want without upseting anybody of a different culture.Being white british and proud of it. Fri 19 Nov 2010 18:51:05 GMT+1 John Charlton http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=96#comment509 469. At 1:26pm on 19 Nov 2010, John Charlton wrote: "I would preserve the traditional weights & measures and stop persecuting shopkeepers who please their customers by using them. Their use and our retention of the miles and yards on our roads is just as much a part of our cultural heritage as Shakespeare."----------- 471. At 1:41pm on 19 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote: "Shopkeepers are free to sell produce in any units they wish. Miles were officially done away with 40 years ago but still persist. (Look at any OS map after the 1970s - it's in km.) Try not reading the Daily Wail."-------------James, have you ever seen direction signs on our roads? Believe it or not they are in miles. Get out a bit more. Fri 19 Nov 2010 18:44:44 GMT+1 William http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=95#comment508 I am British, Afrikaans, Scottish, French, Swedish, and Ukranian.Could I say that I identify and adopt any specific one of those? No. There are things I like about each, but I have very little cultural pride. In reality, I identify most with Hispanics, and have an intense emotional attachment to them!I am a typical Canadian, more interested in variety. I sincerely respect all cultures for what they're worth, and enjoy aspects of each. What makes me depressed is when they are merged together to form a cultural hodge-podge, or if I can't access a variety of cultures. Fri 19 Nov 2010 18:15:50 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=95#comment507 506. At 5:49pm on 19 Nov 2010, Edwin Schrodinger wrote:500. At 4:28pm on 19 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:Answer the question with an answer, not a tirade of obfuscation. How do you plan to reduce the world's population?Sorry - I thought the point was glaringly obvious. I object to over population of the UK which could be easily cut by reducing immigration. Hope that makes it clear for you. -----------The question was addressed to the OP - John Sparks, unless you are one and the same. The question was about the restriction of WORLD population growth, not the UK.I asked him what sort of measures he had in mind. Fri 19 Nov 2010 18:13:36 GMT+1 Geoff http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=95#comment506 Many aspects of our heritage are quite well looked after at present, including real ale (much improved with advent of micro-breweries) and still lots of excellent pubs, despite many closures, beautiful landscapes and buildings, looked after through the National Trust, Welsh and Gaelic (better supported than ever before).Everything gradually changes, of course, but there are still plenty of people who support good pubs and beer in preference to Big Macs and tasteless lager, even if it is a minority. Fri 19 Nov 2010 18:11:02 GMT+1 Edwin Schrodinger http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=95#comment505 500. At 4:28pm on 19 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:Answer the question with an answer, not a tirade of obfuscation. How do you plan to reduce the world's population?Sorry - I thought the point was glaringly obvious. I object to over population of the UK which could be easily cut by reducing immigration. Hope that makes it clear for you. Fri 19 Nov 2010 17:49:43 GMT+1 Phosgene http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=95#comment504 486. At 3:17pm on 19 Nov 2010, Toothpick Harry wrote:"I'm brassed of with those groups of people who mock and threaten those of us who do challenge their racist and anti-British behavour."----------So you like the EDF because the movement's racist and anti-British behavour appeals to you?Harry, it's only about race if you make it about race. And you're making it about race. Your genes are not from a single source; racial purity is a myth that most of us have outgrown and a refuge for underachievers. Fri 19 Nov 2010 17:47:22 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=94#comment503 502. At 4:56pm on 19 Nov 2010, Johns the Man wrote:What part of your heritage would you protect?As regards heritage, there is a huge amount of heritage in the UK, The traditional English Pubs and Coaching Inns immediately comes to mind, The London Double Decker bus, like the Black Taxi-Cab is recognised all over the world, The BBC of course with the Promenade Concerts in the Royal Albert Hall broadcasting all over the world, English Music Composers; Henry Purcell, Sir Edward Elgar, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Benjamin Britten, and strangely enough, German born George Frideric Handel, who spent most of his life writing music in England, Classical to the modern of the Beatles - Sir Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, The Dave Clark Five The Spencer Davis Group, The Moody Blues, Gerry & The Pacemakers, The Searchers etc. etc.The British Bobby, the Britsh Army, the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force, these are also part of our heritage and tradition, The sailing of Captain Cooks ship Endevour, on his voyages of discovery are also a great historic part of a huge Royal Naval and British Heritage.There is also the Great Castles of England, Scotland and Wales. Although I am no longer a Royalist, I have to agree that they are part of the Heritage of the UK, their homes, palaces and estates certainly are, the great homes of the UK, Sheffield Park House, Scarisbrick Hall, The Tower of London, Carisbrook Castle, Bosworth Hall, Admiralty House, this list goes on and on.But one must always remember, that to keep and enjoy our countries heritage and traditions, you must always look back to our countries history to see what made these heritage sites so valuable and important to our country and for our Great Grandchildren to see and read about.For this to be truly appreciated you have to also remember not just the greatest events that formed our history and heritage, learning about them through school, you also have to understand some of the darker periods of our countries, and indeed Europes and the World Wide events that have contributed to this history and heritage. General Eisenhower Warned the world. It is a matter of history that when the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces, General Dwight Eisenhower, was shown the victims of the Nazi death camps he ordered all possible photographs to be taken, and for the German people from surrounding villages to be ushered through the camps and even made to bury the dead. He did this because he is on record as having said:”Get it all on record now - get it all filmed - get the witnesses - because somewhere down the road of history some ******* will get up and say that this never happened”This week, the UK debated whether to remove The Holocaust from its school curriculum because it 'offends' the Muslim population which claims it never occurred. It is not removed as yet. However, this is a frightening portent of the fear that is gripping the world and how easily each country is giving into the statements that it offends some minorities, in this case, Muslims.It is now more than 60 years after the Second World War in Europe ended. Six million Jews, 20 million Russians, 10 million Christians, and 1,900 Catholic priests Who were 'murdered, burned, starved, beaten, experimented on and humiliated' while many in the world looked the other way!Now, more than ever, with Iran, among others, claiming the Holocaust to be 'a myth,' it is imperative to make sure this country and the World never, ever, forgets what happened. If we choose not to remember, How many years will it be before the attack on the World Trade Centre is denied and stated that it; 'NEVER HAPPENED', Because it offends some Muslims?To remove the history of the holocaust from the curriculum is opening the doors wide to the denial of the atrocities carried out in the name of Islam, the bombing of London and the wanton murder of innocent civilians on 7/7, the deliberate and planned attack on the world trade centre on 9/11 which murdered thousands, The murder of the priest and fifty members of his congregation in Bagdad.All of these events MUST NEVER, EVER, BE FORGOTTEN!To appreciate this countries heritage and traditions, you must always appreciate what formed this heritage and these traditions, and why. -----------The teaching of the Holocaust remains within the curriculum. The then Secretary of State Ed Balls confirmed this in 2008, and the present administration have confirmed that it will continue to be the case.Where did you read this nonsense, or is this just another anti-Muslim rant? Fri 19 Nov 2010 17:20:22 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=94#comment502 501. At 4:37pm on 19 Nov 2010, Stepney Boy wrote:Do we have any heritage left after the past 30 years?-----------Please refer to the previous 500 posts. Stacks of examples, and even they only scratch the surface. Fri 19 Nov 2010 16:59:09 GMT+1 Johns the Man http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=94#comment501 This post has been Removed Fri 19 Nov 2010 16:56:36 GMT+1 Stepney Boy http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=94#comment500 Do we have any heritage left after the past 30 years? Fri 19 Nov 2010 16:37:34 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=94#comment499 497. At 3:56pm on 19 Nov 2010, John Sparks wrote:490. At 3:32pm on 19 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:'Restrict population growth'. Oh dear, what did you have in mind? Compulsory sterilisation perhaps? Or something more sinister? Do tell.OOOooh silly me. I forgot that it is very non PC to point out that at the current rate of world population is unsustainable and that the British countryside is already being destroyed to house our grossly and artificially inflated population. We might offend people who want to have as many children as they want. After all, someone will pick up the bill for them. What did you have in mind? Concreting over what is left of Britain's natural world? Ploughing up more of the rain forest to make beef burgers to feed everyone? ------------Answer the question with an answer, not a tirade of obfuscation. How do you plan to reduce the world's population? Fri 19 Nov 2010 16:28:40 GMT+1 anotherfakename http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=93#comment498 We should protect manufacturing. This is thing that bought massive prosperity and employment to the UK, took us out of poverty and provided us with GREAT Britain and an Empire. The extremely hostile environment in the UK to industry needs to be stopped in order to preserve this vital heritage...a) Have the ability to raise capital for long term projects... banks won't lend for long term and neither does the shares market these daysb) Have the ability to buy and use cheap fuel - reopen those coal mines Thatcher inadvisedly closed, we need that energy, we need it now.c) Suppliment that energy with energy generated from methane (sewers) and rubbish - we used to have this sort of ability - burning rubbish and extracting energy (as used to be done in Cambridge - see the museum of technology).d) Sort out the health and safety laws, we really don't need nearly as muche) Sort out insurance market - can only be done by sorting out the courts, if I don't hold a door and the wind blows it in my face it IS MY FAULT, no one elses, if I trip over a loose paving stone because I'm not looking ITS MY FAULT, if I use a keyboard too long and injure my wrists ITS MY FAULY, if I fall off a ladder I climbed when I was too stupid to climb it without training, and too stupid to make sure it was securely in position ITS MY FAULT, people taking companies, councils, schools and individuals to court for this sort of thing should be locked up for the common good and their own protection.f) BUY BRITISH, why the government thinks it is cheaper to buy German cars for the cabinet (Labour), Chinese uniforms for the army (Labour), American tanks (Labour), Italian gym kit (local Conservatives), German ambulances (local Conservatives) I really don't know - not one of those purchases protects a single British job, every one of them provides marketting and investment for foreign companies to out compete our own. NO OTHER COUNTRY IS THIS STUPID!!! Fri 19 Nov 2010 16:18:52 GMT+1 confusus http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=93#comment497 British good manners, humour, pubs, sense of fair play, right to be an individual.Basically anything the Nu-Lab soviet is against! Anything EU tyrants are against. Anything that the Clegyweggy and Camers conjunction think is old fashioned, needs changing or, they dare to think they can improve! Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:57:22 GMT+1 John Sparks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=93#comment496 490. At 3:32pm on 19 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:'Restrict population growth'. Oh dear, what did you have in mind? Compulsory sterilisation perhaps? Or something more sinister? Do tell.OOOooh silly me. I forgot that it is very non PC to point out that at the current rate of world population is unsustainable and that the British countryside is already being destroyed to house our grossly and artificially inflated population. We might offend people who want to have as many children as they want. After all, someone will pick up the bill for them. What did you have in mind? Concreting over what is left of Britain's natural world? Ploughing up more of the rain forest to make beef burgers to feed everyone? Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:56:42 GMT+1 Nic121 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=93#comment495 472. At 1:51pm on 19 Nov 2010, yellowsandydog wrote:"467. At 1:00pm on 19 Nov 2010, Sepenenre wrote:Apparently protecting my cultural heritage is either politically incorrect or racist. But then I'm English, the only ethnicity in the World where this applies."At least you had the sense to include the word "apparently". Have you noticed how many museums there are in this country, how many listed buildings, how many Sites of Special Scientific Interest? Did you know that English history is taught in our schools and often features in TV documentaries and dramas? Did you realise that many people earn a living as historians and archeologists? Have you ever noticed Morris dancing, or mystery plays, or other examples of old entertainment still performed today? Did you know that there is a completely legal organisation called English Heritage?I could go on, ad nauseum, but I will just add, look around you!=========================================================================The above comment is one of a number of posts on HYS completely and successfully rebutting the ridiculous notion that 'Britain has no heritage left anymore' according to many HYSers who clearly walk around with their fingers in their ears and eyes closed.Have a glance over the above comment...you could easily add more heritage to the list, including the number of small village fetes/craft fares and large county shows that take place each and every year all over Britain displaying plenty of British heritage...and please don't tell me that 'oh, but their all being cancelled' blah blah blah - they are not and I'm willing to bet they'll be around for a lot longer. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:51:23 GMT+1 MrWonderfulReality http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=93#comment494 480. At 2:28pm on 19 Nov 2010, General_Jack_Ripper wrote:MrWonderfulReality wrote:Hence basically, the yearly English heritage celebrations of November the 5th is relatively and factually no different to celebrating the Taleban or Al Queda and 7/7 and 9/11. In many towns and citys our council taxes even pay for celebratory fireworks. LOL.Basically we are celebrating a failed religious murderous terrorist plot.You really shouldn't be throwing around insults such as ignorant when you post rubbish like this yourself.The 5th of November celebrations are not a celebration of the attempted attack on Parliament, they are celebration that the plot was uncovered and prevented; that's why we burn a Guy on top of the bonfire; people are literally burning an effigy of an individual who tried to bring down the government and kill the King.To celebrate the fact that the King had survived the attack bonfires were lit all over London and within a couple of months the Observance of 5th November Act was passed through government which called for an annual celebration and thanksgiving that the assassination attempt had failed.The King also commissioned several sermons, prayers and rhymes to commemorate the failure of the plot, most have been forgotten over time but most people still remember one of them:Remember remember the fifth of NovemberGunpowder, treason and plot.I see no reason why gunpowder, treasonShould ever be forgot...The point of which is that people should remember what happens to traitors.=======================================No, they ARE presently celebrations, just a time for a good old knees up & a bit of fun without due thought given to the TRUE reality which you further rightly add substance. Those words are essentially more greatly taken in the context of some nursery rhyme.So many people now actually celebrate that it was an attack on Parliament, because so many people are just that way inclined due to years & years of one grieviance or another.Very very FEW places in UK actually follow the true sense of meaning of 5th November, mainly en mass, its just turn up & start the fireworks & watch while munching motdogs, without even a single mention as to the occassion. YOU yourself dont even mention the fact that this was a Catholic terrorist plot and that Catholics were carrying out acts of terrorism in Britain and Europe in the 1500s and 1600s just as Al Queda do today.So many people just think it was a bunch of geezers a bit unhappy with parliament, which is as far from the full truth and reality as todays November the 5th celebrations are. So, some people might know that Guy Fawkes & his crew tried to blow up parliament, but only a minority are fully aware that it was anything to do with Catholicism and its attempts for totalitarian rule across Europe & the world.Just like Xmas & Easter, the REAL meaning has essentially been abandoned, Xmas is just a time of excessive greed, gorging and waste instead of deep moral thought.Even WWII, "Lest we forget" has basically been abandoned, which is why we cut the military instead of the NHS.History is often glossed over, as is Guy Fawkes, YOU might know the reality, but so MANY do not.How many kids today are taught that Guy Fawkes was a terrorist, which is the TRUE reality, and which is also relative to today. You'd think that terrorism was a recent invention but in fact it is just part of politics and power of which many a nation has vented such terrorism upon others, if the will of the day has not been adhered to.I KNOW what 5th of November is FACTUALLY about, my WHOLE point is that so many just do NOT, hence they are just having celebratory FUN. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:48:16 GMT+1 Ben http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=93#comment493 485. At 3:15pm on 19 Nov 2010, John Sparks wrote:Ben wrote:'The Britian you are trying to protect from immigrants, is a Britain that has been created by immigrants for centuries... EVERYTHING IS NOT THAT BAD! MAKE THE BEST OF IT AND GET ON WITH IT!'You are wrong. I am not objecting to immigrants per se. Britain would have lost WWII without the Poles and the Indians. I am objecting to the Labour party policy of flooding Britain with three million immigrants in ten years. This has been a disaster for Britain's schools, hospitals and infrastructure. I also object to the nonsensical argument that 'we've had immigrants in the past why not a few million more.' Britain was not a grossly overcrowded country 1,000 years ago. We are talking about country at the dawn of history then, not a 'civilised' nation which has a duty to the world to restrict population growth. Well you've edited out most of my post that agrees that immigration is an issue that needs to be addressed. But I'll leave it at that as this topic has been hijacked by the usual broken Britain whingers. Good day Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:38:55 GMT+1 General Belgrano http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=92#comment492 // All the above comments aside though, it might also be worth remembering (and feeling happy and proud of) our excellent history of language, literature, music and general creativity in the arts. But then that's untypically positive isn't it...? //It's not untypically positive; it's typically untrue. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:34:43 GMT+1 david http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=92#comment491 Naughty.Ghosts of John Galt ducked 393 at 396.Come on. Don't disappoint me. Enlighten me.All I know about philosophers starts:Immanuel Kant was a real p.... who was very rarely stable etc.Try Richard Feynman on philosophers. I hope he makes you laugh as much as he makes me.P.S. In post 6 about Lord Young, I think you mean perpetuity rather than perpetuation. I only point this out because I know what store you set by accuracy, clarity and rational thought. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:34:15 GMT+1 MilwaukeeRay http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=92#comment490 I'm still trying to figure out why UNESCO wants to protect flamingo dancing. Sure, they're beautiful birds, and some folks have plastic ones on their lawns. But I never heard of any dance proclivities, although they do tend to move in unison, like synchronized swimmers. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:33:56 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=92#comment489 485. At 3:15pm on 19 Nov 2010, John Sparks wrote:Ben wrote:'The Britian you are trying to protect from immigrants, is a Britain that has been created by immigrants for centuries... EVERYTHING IS NOT THAT BAD! MAKE THE BEST OF IT AND GET ON WITH IT!'You are wrong. I am not objecting to immigrants per se. Britain would have lost WWII without the Poles and the Indians. I am objecting to the Labour party policy of flooding Britain with three million immigrants in ten years. This has been a disaster for Britain's schools, hospitals and infrastructure. I also object to the nonsensical argument that 'we've had immigrants in the past why not a few million more.' Britain was not a grossly overcrowded country 1,000 years ago. We are talking about country at the dawn of history then, not a 'civilised' nation which has a duty to the world to restrict population growth. --------'Restrict population growth'. Oh dear, what did you have in mind? Compulsory sterilisation perhaps? Or something more sinister? Do tell. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:32:40 GMT+1 General Belgrano http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=92#comment488 Lord Young's recent comments may have cost him his job, but they also reveal that Britain's true heritage (privilege for the few, serfdom for the rest) is protected beyond measure. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:32:10 GMT+1 Ben http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=91#comment487 Britain is still a beautiful, unique and fasinating country. Rich in cultural heritage and something to be celebrated. Great buildings, stunning landscapes, unique cities and a superb personality. The things that ruin it are the press, whinging and a feeling that we have never had it so bad. Make the most of this country and embrace it's ever changing nature. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:22:37 GMT+1 Edwin Schrodinger http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=91#comment486 484. At 3:02pm on 19 Nov 2010, wok wrote:'If you base your concept of 'English cultural heritage' on ethnicity than you are racist. Now, what do you think the chances are the original poster is white?And speaking of the BBC, i do find Reggie Perrin very funny. If you don't like it, go play with your tingoil hat.'Your sterotypical assumptions are as bigoted as the racists you object to.I'll make an assumption about you. If you find the new series of ReggiePerrin 'very funny' you have no sense of humour and need to get out and about a bit more. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:20:19 GMT+1 Muddy Waters the 2nd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=91#comment485 473. At 1:52pm on 19 Nov 2010, wok wrote:---------------------Edwin Schrodinger wrote:You miss the point entirely. The answer refers to 'funny BBC comedy. The black manager in Reggie Perin is put there just for the purposes of political correctness because the character and the actor have has no entertainment value whatsoever. Little Britain. Funny? No but yeah but no? Absolutely hilarious. South Park? Funny. But you see, it has nothing to do with the BBC or licence payers' money. Top Gear? A comdedy? Politically incorrect? What, just because its a programme about cars? Good grief, it's worse that I thought. -------------------------------HELP!It's a PC conspiracy! Are you wearing your tinfoil hat yet? =====================================================================Britain is supposed to have an immigrant population of 7% that presumably includes white immigrants. Have you noticed though, every programme every advert has the obligatory dark face, even when the cast is maybe only a half dozen. Every debate programme that even mildly is associated with immigration or the migrant population has an imbalance of audience, over half sometimes are non white and they always undermine the British and their values. There is some sort of brain-washing agenda, maybe it's the programme makers who themselves are migrants, but it is a naked put down of the indigenous white population of Britain. Not only that, whenever and wherever they get the chance, the human rights gang do everything they can to undermine our laws and authority. If you were born and bred in Britain, you have every right to challenge groups of people who constantly try to undermine you, particularly as they hide behind the race relations act so that you are unable to defend yourself. I'm brassed of with those groups of people who mock and threaten those of us who do challenge their racist and anti-British behavour. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:17:15 GMT+1 John Sparks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=91#comment484 Ben wrote:'The Britian you are trying to protect from immigrants, is a Britain that has been created by immigrants for centuries... EVERYTHING IS NOT THAT BAD! MAKE THE BEST OF IT AND GET ON WITH IT!'You are wrong. I am not objecting to immigrants per se. Britain would have lost WWII without the Poles and the Indians. I am objecting to the Labour party policy of flooding Britain with three million immigrants in ten years. This has been a disaster for Britain's schools, hospitals and infrastructure. I also object to the nonsensical argument that 'we've had immigrants in the past why not a few million more.' Britain was not a grossly overcrowded country 1,000 years ago. We are talking about country at the dawn of history then, not a 'civilised' nation which has a duty to the world to restrict population growth. Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:15:03 GMT+1 wok http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=91#comment483 ----------------Yeah, that's right. There is no such thing as the English and anyone who mentions 'English ethnicity' must be a horrid racist person. And BBC comedies, yeah, are really, really funny-----------------nobody says there is not such thing as 'the English'. however there is no such thing as the 'English ethnicity', because the English are made up of a whole range of different ethnic backgrounds. If you base your concept of 'English cultural heritage' on ethnicity than you are racist. Now, what do you think the chances are the original poster is white?And speaking of the BBC, i do find Reggie Perrin very funny. If you don't like it, go play with your tingoil hat Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:02:42 GMT+1 Ben http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=90#comment482 475. At 2:00pm on 19 Nov 2010, John Sparks wrote:470. At 1:32pm on 19 Nov 2010, Ben wrote:'Do you have any idea how mich Britain is influenced by migrants from the Normans and Vikings through to overseas connections even in the Royal Family. The volume of immigration today pales into insignificance with the era of the Romans, Vikings or Normans - ages which formed the very 'Britain' you are talking about.' I thin you are living in the past of 1,000 years ago.My point is....the Britain we have today is a result of thousands of years of different eras and migration. Today is a just a microcosm of the history of this country and is just another chapter in its cultural heritage. The Britian you are trying to protect from immigrants, is a Britain that has been created by immigrants for centuries. No one is doubting that there are issues with immigration and that it needs to be debated but to just blame everything on them, as many of the comments do here, is pathetic and indicative of the self indulgent whinging that prevails throughout the country today. EVERYTHING IS NOT THAT BAD! MAKE THE BEST OF IT AND GET ON WITH IT! Fri 19 Nov 2010 14:44:17 GMT+1 Edwin Schrodinger http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=90#comment481 479. At 2:19pm on 19 Nov 2010, wok wrote:'And second, just for the record, there is no 'English ethnicity'.Yeah, that's right. There is no such thing as the English and anyone who mentions 'English ethnicity' must be a horrid racist person. And BBC comedies, yeah, are really, really funny. Fri 19 Nov 2010 14:38:16 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=90#comment480 Weights and Measures Act 1963.Look it up.Only parts of it were implemented, but it remains on the statute book. Fri 19 Nov 2010 14:34:58 GMT+1 General_Jack_Ripper http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=90#comment479 MrWonderfulReality wrote:Hence basically, the yearly English heritage celebrations of November the 5th is relatively and factually no different to celebrating the Taleban or Al Queda and 7/7 and 9/11. In many towns and citys our council taxes even pay for celebratory fireworks. LOL.Basically we are celebrating a failed religious murderous terrorist plot.You really shouldn't be throwing around insults such as ignorant when you post rubbish like this yourself.The 5th of November celebrations are not a celebration of the attempted attack on Parliament, they are celebration that the plot was uncovered and prevented; that's why we burn a Guy on top of the bonfire; people are literally burning an effigy of an individual who tried to bring down the government and kill the King.To celebrate the fact that the King had survived the attack bonfires were lit all over London and within a couple of months the Observance of 5th November Act was passed through government which called for an annual celebration and thanksgiving that the assassination attempt had failed.The King also commissioned several sermons, prayers and rhymes to commemorate the failure of the plot, most have been forgotten over time but most people still remember one of them:Remember remember the fifth of NovemberGunpowder, treason and plot.I see no reason why gunpowder, treasonShould ever be forgot...The point of which is that people should remember what happens to traitors. Fri 19 Nov 2010 14:28:27 GMT+1 wok http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=90#comment478 ------------------------------"467. At 1:00pm on 19 Nov 2010, Sepenenre wrote:Apparently protecting my cultural heritage is either politically incorrect or racist. But then I'm English, the only ethnicity in the World where this applies."-------------------------------As someone already pointed out, your first assertion is incorrect. Now, even while it is incorrect, in itself it's not a racist statement. However, the fact that you included 'English ethnicity' makes you a very likely subject. First: How does ethnicity come into play when speaking of cultural heritage? And second, just for the record, there is no 'English ethnicity'. Fri 19 Nov 2010 14:19:52 GMT+1 Edwin Schrodinger http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=90#comment477 471. At 1:41pm on 19 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:Shopkeepers are free to sell produce in any units they wish. Miles were officially done away with 40 years ago but still persist. (Look at any OS map after the 1970s - it's in km.) Try not reading the Daily Wail.Horaay! It's the Daily Mail's fault (yet again) that people hold opinions contrary to yours. I think someone should tell the Highways Agency that miles have been 'officially done away with 40 years ago' because they still appear on all the road signs in Britain. Anyway, I'm off for a quick litre. Fri 19 Nov 2010 14:12:08 GMT+1 Les Bowring http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=89#comment476 We used to have a caring all in it together attitude where we all got stuck in and helped each other through good times and bad now its sod you jack i'm alright, We think more of the materilistic gains, posh cars, holiday homes abroad etc. What I would preserve is the Community Sprit we used to have, stop all this oh we can't say this, display that, take this out it might offend garbbage WHO exactly are we offending? have the ethnic minorities said they are offended or is it just someone who hates themselves and is externalise their hatred for everything. Let us get back to common sense ideas and TALK to each other with honesty and maturity not PCspeak Fri 19 Nov 2010 14:09:05 GMT+1 John Sparks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=89#comment475 468. At 1:01pm on 19 Nov 2010, Mickey wrote:Our Christian heritage, the thing that put the Great into Great Britain."Errr, no. It was the Germans that put the "Great" into Britain as a way of identifying Britanny (Britannien) and big Britain (Gross Britannien.)If you must use the term "Great" Britain, at least acknowledge that "Great" means "big" and nothing else. Oh right. So it should have been 'Alfred the Big' then? Or would you prefer just 'Big Alfred.' Fri 19 Nov 2010 14:02:39 GMT+1 John Sparks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=89#comment474 470. At 1:32pm on 19 Nov 2010, Ben wrote:'Do you have any idea how mich Britain is influenced by migrants from the Normans and Vikings through to overseas connections even in the Royal Family. The volume of immigration today pales into insignificance with the era of the Romans, Vikings or Normans - ages which formed the very 'Britain' you are talking about.' I thin you are living in the past of 1,000 years ago. Fri 19 Nov 2010 14:00:55 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=89#comment473 . At 1:32pm on 19 Nov 2010, Ben wrote:"No part of my ethnic heritage worth saving exists any more, as the previous government deemed it unacceptable and potentially offensive to the hordes of immigrants (illegal or otherwise) asylum seekers and other ne'er do wells that they welcomed to this country with open arms!"Always the same old rubbish on this website. Same old miserable gits moaning about immigration blah blah blah. Do you have any idea how mich Britain is influenced by migrants from the Normans and Vikings through to overseas connections even in the Royal Family. The volume of immigration today pales into insignificance with the era of the Romans, Vikings or Normans - ages which formed the very 'Britain' you are talking about. So stop you idiotic, jingoistic moaning and embrace a bit of change as in another 500 years time people will be looking back on this period as one that again moulded the country. This is an interesting debate on what aspects of our heritage should be preserved. It isn't a platform for the same thinly veiled racist nonsense that prevails on every single debate here. Always blaming the government or foreigners. Boring. Answer the question. For me it would be the built heritage. So much was allowed to be ruined in the last century that we should cherish what we have left and preserve it for future generations.-----Well said.Perhaps we could NOT preserve the aforementioned moaning old gits - but I doubt it. Fri 19 Nov 2010 13:54:24 GMT+1 wok http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=89#comment472 ---------------------Edwin Schrodinger wrote:You miss the point entirely. The answer refers to 'funny BBC comedy. The black manager in Reggie Perin is put there just for the purposes of political correctness because the character and the actor have has no entertainment value whatsoever. Little Britain. Funny? No but yeah but no? Absolutely hilarious. South Park? Funny. But you see, it has nothing to do with the BBC or licence payers' money. Top Gear? A comdedy? Politically incorrect? What, just because its a programme about cars? Good grief, it's worse that I thought. -------------------------------HELP!It's a PC conspiracy! Are you wearing your tinfoil hat yet? Fri 19 Nov 2010 13:52:06 GMT+1 yellowsandydog http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=88#comment471 "467. At 1:00pm on 19 Nov 2010, Sepenenre wrote:Apparently protecting my cultural heritage is either politically incorrect or racist. But then I'm English, the only ethnicity in the World where this applies."At least you had the sense to include the word "apparently". Have you noticed how many museums there are in this country, how many listed buildings, how many Sites of Special Scientific Interest? Did you know that English history is taught in our schools and often features in TV documentaries and dramas? Did you realise that many people earn a living as historians and archeologists? Have you ever noticed Morris dancing, or mystery plays, or other examples of old entertainment still performed today? Did you know that there is a completely legal organisation called English Heritage?I could go on, ad nauseum, but I will just add, look around you! Fri 19 Nov 2010 13:51:43 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=88#comment470 469. At 1:26pm on 19 Nov 2010, John Charlton wrote:I would preserve the traditional weights & measures and stop persecuting shopkeepers who please their customers by using them. Their use and our retention of the miles and yards on our roads is just as much a part of our cultural heritage as Shakespeare.-----------Shopkeepers are free to sell produce in any units they wish. Miles were officially done away with 40 years ago but still persist. (Look at any OS map after the 1970s - it's in km.) Try not reading the Daily Wail. Fri 19 Nov 2010 13:41:53 GMT+1 Ben http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=88#comment469 "No part of my ethnic heritage worth saving exists any more, as the previous government deemed it unacceptable and potentially offensive to the hordes of immigrants (illegal or otherwise) asylum seekers and other ne'er do wells that they welcomed to this country with open arms!"Always the same old rubbish on this website. Same old miserable gits moaning about immigration blah blah blah. Do you have any idea how mich Britain is influenced by migrants from the Normans and Vikings through to overseas connections even in the Royal Family. The volume of immigration today pales into insignificance with the era of the Romans, Vikings or Normans - ages which formed the very 'Britain' you are talking about. So stop you idiotic, jingoistic moaning and embrace a bit of change as in another 500 years time people will be looking back on this period as one that again moulded the country. This is an interesting debate on what aspects of our heritage should be preserved. It isn't a platform for the same thinly veiled racist nonsense that prevails on every single debate here. Always blaming the government or foreigners. Boring. Answer the question. For me it would be the built heritage. So much was allowed to be ruined in the last century that we should cherish what we have left and preserve it for future generations. Fri 19 Nov 2010 13:32:43 GMT+1 John Charlton http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=88#comment468 I would preserve the traditional weights & measures and stop persecuting shopkeepers who please their customers by using them. Their use and our retention of the miles and yards on our roads is just as much a part of our cultural heritage as Shakespeare. Fri 19 Nov 2010 13:26:17 GMT+1 Mickey http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=88#comment467 Our Christian heritage, the thing that put the Great into Great Britain."Errr, no. It was the Germans that put the "Great" into Britain as a way of identifying Britanny (Britannien) and big Britain (Gross Britannien.)If you must use the term "Great" Britain, at least acknowledge that "Great" means "big" and nothing else. Fri 19 Nov 2010 13:01:34 GMT+1 Seqenenre http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=87#comment466 Apparently protecting my cultural heritage is either politically incorrect or racist. But then I'm English, the only ethnicity in the World where this applies. Fri 19 Nov 2010 13:00:39 GMT+1 Bibi http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=87#comment465 Northernvoice wrote:Our Christian heritage, the thing that put the Great into Great Britain.***********************************************************Actually, what put the *Great* in Britain was an unbelievably ruthless bunch of industrialists and empirical monsters who milked the poor, the uneducated and the defenseless to within an inch of their lives, if not beyond - and these charlatans are still allowed to run the people of this country into the ground. The part religion has played in the disaster that is the British class system and wealth distribution is not inconsiderable, but certainly not laudable either. Such archaic nonsense belongs in the history books. Fri 19 Nov 2010 12:56:51 GMT+1 S C MEHTA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=87#comment464 UNESCO's world heritage list: Think old and protect the old cultural traditions; they were always more humane than those of the present times; let's consider the following, in addition to those already in the list:-1. Worshiping of the respected trees (for their flowers, fruits and medicinal values).2. The oldest relics and books of merit.3. Protecting and respecting the 'Romas' (ones of the earliest recognized nomads) from being down-trodden and exploited.4. The oldest cooking-recipes or palate, wines/spirits.5. The oldest wears (apparel & foot-wears).There might be many more qualifying for the list; the choices are many. I think, it needs a consensus (world opinion/choice) to finally decide upon the new inclusions. Fri 19 Nov 2010 12:56:13 GMT+1 Mickey http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=87#comment463 The Welsh preserve their heritage as do the Scots. Does England have a heritage? Fri 19 Nov 2010 12:53:36 GMT+1 Bibi http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=87#comment462 Oh..obviously we must keep all the things the UK holds dear .. the idle rich royals; the muttering racists, jingoists and bigots; the fat cat business executives and bankers; the selfish people earning over £44,000 who begrudge giving up their child benefits so that people who earn a quarter of their salaries can have a few pence more ... oh and our endless list of brainless, talentless and tastless celebrities. Fri 19 Nov 2010 12:49:48 GMT+1 Anaiya http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=86#comment461 I would protect our Pagan heritage - all this rediculous 'Christian heritage' malarky makes me sick, when our country had a beautiful, peaceful, indigineous religion beforehand. I would save the Welsh Language - I don't speak it myself, but as someone who is Welsh, I think it is important that we don't let it die out. After all, we have fought against some nasty competition that tried to take it away and we still have it.Folk music, real ale, real food, our pride in our nation. I can't speak for England, Scotland and Ireland, but the Welsh are extremley pround of our heritage and where we come from, and we need to keep that pride. Fri 19 Nov 2010 11:37:06 GMT+1 MrWonderfulReality http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=86#comment460 What part of your heritage would you protect?Theres ONLY ONE relative part of British heritage I would and do protect which is TRUTH. Of which so much of it is often just abandoned and hidden away because in reality it doesnt taste nice.Take for instance Guy Fawkes, the November the fifth gunpowder plot which millions in UK celebrate and jump around and use as an excuse to have party's etc, MAINLY and FACTUALLY out of PURE and unadulterated IGNORANCE of what they are FACTUALLY celebratingLest we forget that Guy Fawkes main role was not just that he wanted to blow up Parliament, but his purpose was that he was a murdering extremist Catholic terrorist who wanted to empower Catholicism and destroy the protestant Monarchy in Britain.People are mainly ignorant of the fact that Guy Fawkes was a Catholic religious extremist terrorist, who also took part in Catholic Spains Eighty Years' War on the side of Catholic Spain against Protestant Dutch reformators. Guy Fawkes then returned to England and conspired with his fellow extremist Catholic terrorists to blow up Parliament, of which he came very close to achieving.If this terrorist plot had suceeded then the streets of England would have turned red with the blood of a new religious civil war.Hence basically, the yearly English heritage celebrations of November the 5th is relatively and factually no different to celebrating the Taleban or Al Queda and 7/7 and 9/11. In many towns and citys our council taxes even pay for celebratory fireworks. LOL.Basically we are celebrating a failed religious murderous terrorist plot.I wonder what would be the outcome if Islamic extremists in UK were to hold similar celebrations for recent failed terrorist plots. If they were caught with fireworks, they would probably be arrested for possession of explosive materials, among other things. LOLHeritage is a wonderful thing, if you FULLY UNDERSTAND it for what it FACTUALLY IS and what it represents. Fri 19 Nov 2010 10:22:33 GMT+1 MrWonderfulReality http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=86#comment459 I'm not telling. I know a few places greatly untouched by the masses, as long as the masses keep away, these places will remain as they are now, hence preserved heritage. Fri 19 Nov 2010 09:41:59 GMT+1 John Sparks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=86#comment458 441. At 10:30pm on 18 Nov 2010, Papa Bue wrote:Did you see the story in the papers today (Thurs) about the schoolboy who was threatened with death by a gang of pupils because he supported the poppy appeal? Try that for a start. Look around you.'Typical Daily Mail non-story, with the added bonus for the Hate Mail, that the protagonists were, wait for it... Muslims! Woo Hoo! What a surprise: muslims get cross about boy who supports the troops who are murdering and torturing other Muslims. Stab me vitals!'Oh dear. Does that mean everyone who supports the poppy appeal should be subjected to this sort of treatment by Muslims in your PC world? British soldiers died so you can express your nauseous opinions. And oohh yes, just because it was in the Daily Mail it can't be a story can it? Ignore the fact it appeared in other papers as well. Ignore the fact that this little boy and his family have been terrorised. Ignore what's going on in our schools. Ignore the facts because hey, that's all part of PC Britain. And you know why the Guardian didn't run the story don't you? Because they are more biased than the Daily Mail. But ignore that too. Fri 19 Nov 2010 09:05:21 GMT+1 Edwin Schrodinger http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=86#comment457 362. At 1:01pm on 18 Nov 2010, Laputa wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------------------A black manager!!!! How preposterous. Must be PC gone mad. Nothing else could possibly explain that casting decision, could it? How does Little Britain get made and aired if the BBC is so politically correct? Or Top Gear? How does Frankie Boyle get on telly so much? Or Jimmy Carr? Or South Park?PC Britain doesn't exist, except in the fevered imaginations of people who just can't move with the times.You miss the point entirely. The answer refers to 'funny BBC comedy. The black manager in Reggie Perin is put there just for the purposes of political correctness because the character and the actor have has no entertainment value whatsoever. Little Britain. Funny? No but yeah but no? Absolutely hilarious. South Park? Funny. But you see, it has nothing to do with the BBC or licence payers' money. Top Gear? A comdedy? Politically incorrect? What, just because its a programme about cars? Good grief, it's worse that I thought. Fri 19 Nov 2010 08:54:25 GMT+1 The Freckle Faced Ginger Englishman http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=86#comment456 You only have to turn on the TV or Radio, to know this country as we knew it is fast disappearing.The country I grew up in, in the 50's 60's and 70's and loved, wont be around in another 50 years.The One consolation I have is I wont be around to see it. Fri 19 Nov 2010 08:35:23 GMT+1 Peter Bridgemont http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=85#comment455 This post has been Removed Fri 19 Nov 2010 07:36:21 GMT+1 AngMoDavy http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=85#comment454 "2. At 11:47am on 17 Nov 2010, RubbishGirl wrote:I'd protect our music. Particularly our bands. Despite going through a minor slump at the moment with few real stars out there, Britain has always produced some of the best music & bands in the world."Great comment, I agree UK music is one of the many things that puts the "Great" in Great Britain! (along with Fish and Chips!) Fri 19 Nov 2010 05:57:48 GMT+1 Ackwern http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=85#comment453 176. At 4:39pm on 17 Nov 2010, Hazel wrote: "How lovely Scottish dancing looks when you have lots of dancers and English country dancing does too."Agree with your post wholeheartedly Hazel, but much Scottish dancing is actually English in origin. Unfortunately we are in a new "Victorian" era where ordinary folk are encouraged to think every native "folk" tradition is viewed as gauche or twee. The Victorians thought their culture was the bees knees and the height of taste. It was only a few far-sighted people in the 19th and 20th century that realised what was being lost and tried to preserve it. And now we can look back on some of those "tasteful" Victorians and see the vandalism they carried out destroying medieval English church interiors and calling it progress. What goes around comes around. Fri 19 Nov 2010 05:38:39 GMT+1 Nina Szombately http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=85#comment452 This post has been Removed Fri 19 Nov 2010 04:51:22 GMT+1 DLincoln http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=85#comment451 As an American, I would like to see our protestant work ethic protected. It would be easier to achieve world peace. Fri 19 Nov 2010 03:34:30 GMT+1 Worldcitizen1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=84#comment450 450. At 02:21am on 19 Nov 2010, Papa Bue wrote:448. "At 00:43am on 19 Nov 2010, Worldcitizen1 wrote:The Royal Family makes England sparkle and shine. They are like the crowning touch on a Christmas tree, or a beautiful piece of jewelry that adorns a supermodel. They make England truly special. //You do know that there are more royal families in Europe, don't you? And far more glamorous, sparkling and shining than the Windsors, with a lot more adventure as well... Think about the Grimaldi's of Monaco, Grace Kelly, the dramatic history surrounding the Spanish monarchy, the controversial Dutch... The British Monarchy is squalid and boring; ugly, prematurely balding, dull heirs to the throne, embarrassing sexual revelations, a marriage to a dire yank divorcee.... Pffff. If that's considered a beautiful jewelry, then thsi recession has affected our tastebuds even worse than I thought... "-------------------------------------------------------------------------I don't think its fair to compare one Royal family with a Royal family from another country. You, like most people, will always think the grass is greener on the other side of the street. There are people in those countries which you mention who feel the same about their Royal families too, you know. They each have their good points and each Royal family has made mistakes. They are, after all, only human. The way they deal with their mistakes is what matters. The Royals of England have done a splendid job in that regard. We don't get news here in the states on the other Royal families so, I can't comment on them.Every person in England should be proud of their Royal family. It is their heritage. When you speak bad about the Royals, you speak bad about England herself. Eventually, you will see that. Hopefully, you will understand what I mean by that before you leave this Earth. Fri 19 Nov 2010 02:57:05 GMT+1 Ralphie http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=84#comment449 448. At 00:43am on 19 Nov 2010, Worldcitizen1 wrote:The Royal Family makes England sparkle and shine. They are like the crowning touch on a Christmas tree, or a beautiful piece of jewelry that adorns a supermodel. They make England truly special. //You do know that there are more royal families in Europe, don't you? And far more glamorous, sparkling and shining than the Windsors, with a lot more adventure as well... Think about the Grimaldi's of Monaco, Grace Kelly, the dramatic history surrounding the Spanish monarchy, the controversial Dutch... The British Monarchy is squalid and boring; ugly, prematurely balding, dull heirs to the throne, embarrassing sexual revelations, a marriage to a dire yank divorcee.... Pffff. If that's considered a beautiful jewelry, then thsi recession has affected our tastebuds even worse than I thought... Fri 19 Nov 2010 02:21:00 GMT+1 Ralphie http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=84#comment448 I agree with Laputa that PC Britain is a figment of people's imagination. Some have conspiracy theories, others have this fixation about some PC organisation. Different symptoms, same disease. Fri 19 Nov 2010 00:57:36 GMT+1 Worldcitizen1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=84#comment447 408. At 4:55pm on 18 Nov 2010, sensiblegrannie wrote:"Worldcitizen1I guess you have a less-than-secret fancy to have a bash at being really royal? Don't bother, the rest of us don't because it is much better to watch someone else, with more patience, do the job. The job appears glamorous but is probably hugely disappointing once behind the bars. I wouldn't be at all surprised if all of the Royals have royal handshake repetItive strain injury. Think of all of those lovely dinners spoiled by long boring speeches.Let us protect: ecky thump; bath chap; mince pies; mashed potato; mashed swede; haggis; cullen skink; eccles cakes; really matured cheddar cheese; stilton; lardy cake; cream scones; strawberries; rhubarb crumble; eton mess; bread and butter pudding; summer pudding; bread pudding; bramley apples; russet apples; comice pears; cob nuts; king edward potatoes; roast beef; yorkshire pud served with treacle; real ale; scrumpy; hot cross buns; apple charlotte; English apple pie; roast chestnuts; English marmalade; porridge; eggs with lion prints; real butcher shops; real baker shops; real fishmonger shops etc bagpipes; kilts; rugby; red hair; accents; playing conkers; bluebell woods; morris dancers; beating the bounds; carnivals; the neatly groomed natural world; gypsy cart races and so much more. folk music; Bestival; Beatles; Edinburgh festival/fringe; the Mill at Sonning; the Watermill in Berkshire; bonfire night; Henley Regatta and fireworks; pop concerts; Glyndebourne and Glastonbury and loads more let us be more inclusive:Diwali; chinese new year; beer festivals; foreign visiting markets; live theatre and music broadcasts at local cinemas; "-------------------------------------------------------------------------All of that is worth preserving except: Haggis. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww! What on the face of this Earth is: "Ecky Thump", "Cullin Skink", "Eccles Cakes", and "Eton Mess"?You also wrote: "Worldcitizen1I guess you have a less-than-secret fancy to have a bash at being really royal?"-------------------------------------------------------------------------I have pondered that question myself and have come to the conclusion that I live a better life than they do. I am free to do as I want without worrying too much about my reputation every moment of every day. I would deplore being dressed, and I LOVE to do my own grocery shopping. There are not many things that the Royals can do that I (or you, for that matter) couldn't do, except own a Rolls Royce (Which I am working to rectify). That does not mean that I think I am better (or worse) than the Royals, it just means that I have read how life was for my progenitors when they ruled and I think that they must have been under an ENORMOUS amount of pressure 24/7. They were all involved in some kind of conflict, whether internal or external, and some of them lost their heads over it. Cromwell (De Cromwell) shows up as a progenitor but, so does one of my favorite Royals (Lyons) so, it creates a schism in my mind. I don't think I would make a very good Royal member as I am too free spirited and independent. I am NOT a traitor though. I do have an ENORMOUS amount of respect for the Royal family as I know how daunting it must be to maintain a certain image on a day-to-day basis. One gives up much personal freedom when life is like that. I would not make a very good example to follow. Few people nowadays could live like that with all of the personal choices we have in society. The Royal family, for the most part, has done an EXCELLENT job at being good, honest, and very decent people in a time when most don't really care how they are perceived. Their heritage is also my heritage and the heritage of every person living in England.It is most definitely worth preserving.I've written it before and I will write it once again: Perhaps the Monarchy wasn't right for those of us in the new colony here in the U.S.A. but, few people would argue that the Monarchy is wrong for Great Britain. The Royal Family makes England sparkle and shine. They are like the crowning touch on a Christmas tree, or a beautiful piece of jewelry that adorns a supermodel. They make England truly special. With that written, I have to get in gear and go out and buy a Turkey for Thanksgiving. (My chestnut stuffing recipe goes back at least 300 years. I tried to get the original recipe for the Royal Plum pudding (for Christmas) but, just get form letters, for travel to England, in return.) Fri 19 Nov 2010 00:43:00 GMT+1 Ralphie http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=84#comment446 446. At 11:17pm on 18 Nov 2010, Laputa wrote:417. At 5:40pm on 18 Nov 2010, Edwin Schrodinger wrote:362. At 1:01pm on 18 Nov 2010, Laputa wrote:'Then perhaps you could enlighten me by giving some concrete examples of ways in which this country is too PC.'How about the fact that the BBC is unable to produce TV comedy any more despite a budget of £3.5 billion of licence payer's money. Name one funny BBC comedy. Here's a great example. The remake of Reginald Perrin is dire - why? Because it is so PC. The boss is black - the mother-in-law hippo has vanished. Do you think Fawlty Towers would get made today? Curb Your Enthusiasm is funny precisely because it is so un-PC. But don't worry - it is your money they are wasting. Bet that makes you laugh. PC Britain is a miserable place.-------------------------------------------------------------------------A black manager!!!! How preposterous. Must be PC gone mad. Nothing else could possibly explain that casting decision, could it? How does Little Britain get made and aired if the BBC is so politically correct? Or Top Gear? How does Frankie Boyle get on telly so much? Or Jimmy Carr? Or South Park?PC Britain doesn't exist, except in the fevered imaginations of people who just can't move with the times.///I have watched Reggie Perrin sporadically, but that black boss seems to be portrayed as a rather unpleasant person... What is all this, are they messing with our minds? I am so confused... Fri 19 Nov 2010 00:03:16 GMT+1 Laputa http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=83#comment445 417. At 5:40pm on 18 Nov 2010, Edwin Schrodinger wrote:362. At 1:01pm on 18 Nov 2010, Laputa wrote:'Then perhaps you could enlighten me by giving some concrete examples of ways in which this country is too PC.'How about the fact that the BBC is unable to produce TV comedy any more despite a budget of £3.5 billion of licence payer's money. Name one funny BBC comedy. Here's a great example. The remake of Reginald Perrin is dire - why? Because it is so PC. The boss is black - the mother-in-law hippo has vanished. Do you think Fawlty Towers would get made today? Curb Your Enthusiasm is funny precisely because it is so un-PC. But don't worry - it is your money they are wasting. Bet that makes you laugh. PC Britain is a miserable place.-------------------------------------------------------------------------A black manager!!!! How preposterous. Must be PC gone mad. Nothing else could possibly explain that casting decision, could it? How does Little Britain get made and aired if the BBC is so politically correct? Or Top Gear? How does Frankie Boyle get on telly so much? Or Jimmy Carr? Or South Park?PC Britain doesn't exist, except in the fevered imaginations of people who just can't move with the times. Thu 18 Nov 2010 23:17:22 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=83#comment444 442. At 10:35pm on 18 Nov 2010, George wrote:Well, as this country actually embodies Islam much better than any Islamic country, I suggest we just keep being British and doing what we do, and that is being a good reflection of religion without religion. I just don't know how we do it but we do... We just forget how great we actually all are.-------------I know it's getting late, but you've got me stumped there. What are you trying to say? Thu 18 Nov 2010 23:08:34 GMT+1 Worldcitizen1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=83#comment443 370. At 1:39pm on 18 Nov 2010, General_Jack_Ripper wrote:"I hate to break this to you mate and I don't want you to think I'm dismissing your family history but almost every single person of European descent can trace their bloodline back to the European Royal Families. My sister got very excited when tracing our family history as she discovered that we were related to several of the European Royal Families. She took it quite badly when a professional genealogist told her that virtually everyone of European descent is related to at least one Royal Family."------------------------------------------------------------------------I understand that but, none the less, it is something worth preserving and something to be proud of too. One of my Father's direct paternal progenitors (Johnson) lived on the London Bridge during the outbreak of the Black Plague. Only two people who lived on that bridge came down with the plague. Before that, they were from Canterbury, Kent, England. Those are my "long distance" paternal roots to England. Both places were, and/or still are beautiful areas in England. It is a shame that the old London Bridge, with the beautiful buildings, was demolished for the stark bridge which is there today. When I was in England for 2 months, I used to walk across that bridge every day to get into downtown London. That was before doing my genealogy. If I had known that my Father's side actually lived just a few yards down (on the old bridge) from it at one time, I would have paid more attention to that area. I will have to go back one day.I agree with your view though. I learned early on in my genealogy that basically, we are all related to one another. You and I, as well as the people who live in the rain-forests of Peru, to the Eskimos, to the Pygmy tribes, ALL shared a common set of parents at one time or another. That is why racism is such a foolish practice to engage in.A family history is definitely a heritage worth preserving though. Thu 18 Nov 2010 23:03:30 GMT+1 deanarabin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=83#comment442 The BBC's worth retaining, but without taxpayer-funded light entertainment. Thu 18 Nov 2010 22:58:38 GMT+1 George http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=83#comment441 Well, as this country actually embodies Islam much better than any Islamic country, I suggest we just keep being British and doing what we do, and that is being a good reflection of religion without religion. I just don't know how we do it but we do... We just forget how great we actually all are. Thu 18 Nov 2010 22:35:06 GMT+1 Ralphie http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=83#comment440 439. At 10:08pm on 18 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:434. At 9:40pm on 18 Nov 2010, Papa Bue wrote:431. At 9:22pm on 18 Nov 2010, John Sparks wrote:429. At 8:55pm on 18 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:Please give examples of the way in which, as you claim, our cultural heritage has been 'sacrificied to the idea of multiculturalism'.Did you see the story in the papers today (Thurs) about the schoolboy who was threatened with death by a gang of pupils because he supported the poppy appeal? Try that for a start. Look around you.///I read that! It was in the Daily Toyland Mail. ---------Thanks for that. I just read it, and it's not quite as the OP suggests. The 'death threats' were on Facebook, yes FACEBOOK. You do realise that teenagers spend most of their time on Facebook issuing death threats, don't you?Typical Daily Mail non-story, with the added bonus for the Hate Mail, that the protagonists were, wait for it... Muslims! Woo Hoo! What a surprise: muslims get cross about boy who supports the troops who are murdering and torturing other Muslims. Stab me vitals!///Hah! To be honest, I didn't actually know it really was in the Daily Mail, it just fitted snugly around "Toyland", but how sadly predictable that satire imitates life. Thu 18 Nov 2010 22:30:08 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=82#comment439 437. At 9:53pm on 18 Nov 2010, Alfred Penderel Bright wrote:If Adrian Swall is still om air and reading the HYS comments I should just like to point out that we are discussing heritage NOT CULTURE. Heritage covers "things done in the past" like the death penalty and I also wonder how your dictionary spells the word OBVIOUSLY - you omitted the "U" in your comment so I am reminded of the old saying about "People in glass houses and throwing stones"!!!-----The death penalty has been abolished, permanently. The way in which that was done, in legal terms, means that it can NEVER be reintroduced.Therefore, there is no point going on about it: IT's GONE FOREVER. Thu 18 Nov 2010 22:16:25 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=82#comment438 434. At 9:40pm on 18 Nov 2010, Papa Bue wrote:431. At 9:22pm on 18 Nov 2010, John Sparks wrote:429. At 8:55pm on 18 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:Please give examples of the way in which, as you claim, our cultural heritage has been 'sacrificied to the idea of multiculturalism'.Did you see the story in the papers today (Thurs) about the schoolboy who was threatened with death by a gang of pupils because he supported the poppy appeal? Try that for a start. Look around you.///I read that! It was in the Daily Toyland Mail. ---------Thanks for that. I just read it, and it's not quite as the OP suggests. The 'death threats' were on Facebook, yes FACEBOOK. You do realise that teenagers spend most of their time on Facebook issuing death threats, don't you?Typical Daily Mail non-story, with the added bonus for the Hate Mail, that the protagonists were, wait for it... Muslims! Woo Hoo! What a surprise: muslims get cross about boy who supports the troops who are murdering and torturing other Muslims. Stab me vitals! Thu 18 Nov 2010 22:08:03 GMT+1 Ralphie http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=82#comment437 432. At 9:30pm on 18 Nov 2010, Edwin Schrodinger wrote:424. At 7:42pm on 18 Nov 2010, Papa Bue wrote:You really don't get "Curb", do you? Oh well, people didn't get Alf Garnett either. Which basically means you lot haven't evolved in over 30 years. You obviously know nothing about Johnny Speight - your understanding of TV hasn't evolved much.///??? That comment doesn't make any sense at all. You just playing wiff waff with whatever I say. No wonder you haven't evolved: there is no originality to start with... Thu 18 Nov 2010 22:02:28 GMT+1 Billy The Bull http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=82#comment436 If Adrian Swall is still om air and reading the HYS comments I should just like to point out that we are discussing heritage NOT CULTURE. Heritage covers "things done in the past" like the death penalty and I also wonder how your dictionary spells the word OBVIOUSLY - you omitted the "U" in your comment so I am reminded of the old saying about "People in glass houses and throwing stones"!!! Thu 18 Nov 2010 21:53:13 GMT+1 James Daly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=82#comment435 431. At 9:22pm on 18 Nov 2010, John Sparks wrote:429. At 8:55pm on 18 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:Please give examples of the way in which, as you claim, our cultural heritage has been 'sacrificied to the idea of multiculturalism'.Did you see the story in the papers today (Thurs) about the schoolboy who was threatened with death by a gang of pupils because he supported the poppy appeal? Try that for a start. Look around you.------------I hardly think the poppy appeal is symbolic of our culture. I suspect this was a case of teenage gang behaviour/bullying: something which has always existed, and which IS, perversely, part of our 'culture'. Brighton Rock, anyone? Teddy Boys? Glasgow razor gangs?You really need to come up with something better. The OP sounds like a bitter and twisted type, who can't come to terms with the modern, vibrant and exciting place that the UK now is. The world moves on: we must too. Thu 18 Nov 2010 21:44:02 GMT+1 Dole Boy 1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=81#comment434 Rich landowners owning everything and shouting "get off MY land".Always having rich Posh-Boys from Eton running the country.The poor getting shafted by the banking crisis to pay for the Toffs who caused it.Royalty going on jollies at our expense.Oh what a great heritage we have to preserve. Thu 18 Nov 2010 21:42:05 GMT+1 Ralphie http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=81#comment433 431. At 9:22pm on 18 Nov 2010, John Sparks wrote:429. At 8:55pm on 18 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:Please give examples of the way in which, as you claim, our cultural heritage has been 'sacrificied to the idea of multiculturalism'.Did you see the story in the papers today (Thurs) about the schoolboy who was threatened with death by a gang of pupils because he supported the poppy appeal? Try that for a start. Look around you.///I read that! It was in the Daily Toyland Mail. Thu 18 Nov 2010 21:40:51 GMT+1 You Are On Another Planet http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=81#comment432 86. At 2:00pm on 17 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:79. At 1:50pm on 17 Nov 2010, Total Mass Retain wrote:It would appear that the moderators have totally lost that long standing British tradition: a sense of humour and self deprecation!NO. It was removed because it was a puerile piece of racist filth.In what way? There was definitely no reference to race, nor could it be inferred.-----------Wow Mr Retain! I thought you knew something about history but had no sense of humour! It appears I am wrong on both counts. Hats off to you sir! As Mae West said, people who are easily offended should be offended a lot. Thu 18 Nov 2010 21:36:25 GMT+1 Edwin Schrodinger http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=81#comment431 424. At 7:42pm on 18 Nov 2010, Papa Bue wrote:You really don't get "Curb", do you? Oh well, people didn't get Alf Garnett either. Which basically means you lot haven't evolved in over 30 years. You obviously know nothing about Johnny Speight - your understanding of TV hasn't evolved much. Thu 18 Nov 2010 21:30:50 GMT+1 John Sparks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/11/what_part_of_your_heritage_wou.html?page=81#comment430 429. At 8:55pm on 18 Nov 2010, James Daly wrote:Please give examples of the way in which, as you claim, our cultural heritage has been 'sacrificied to the idea of multiculturalism'.Did you see the story in the papers today (Thurs) about the schoolboy who was threatened with death by a gang of pupils because he supported the poppy appeal? Try that for a start. Look around you. Thu 18 Nov 2010 21:22:50 GMT+1