Comments for http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html en-gb 30 Sat 12 Jul 2014 04:34:09 GMT+1 A feed of user comments from the page found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html Dooralarm http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=99#comment360 How dare she! What right does she, or anyone, have to dictate to women how to feed their offspring. There are many reasons why some women chose to feed them manufactured food. No breasts, no milk, medical, psychological or maybe, like us, they prefer the more pure manufactured product. Bring on GM foods - it is better for us. Wed 04 Aug 2010 20:26:33 GMT+1 D G Cullum http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=99#comment359 Not everyone can or wants to breast feed their babies and its none of anyone business like this expert how many kids does she have? We are getting a world full of over educated people who all have something to say about others many women work they have no chose many women have a baby and a small child and no nanny or grandparent that wants to do the nanny job so does not have the time or energy to run after a toddler and feed a baby at the same time plus work and do the house work and shop and cook and see to husband and the dog. More money for the middle class never heard of this woman but it will have come out of the USA were all the best rubbish comes from, most of us live a REAL life and will less coming in many of us will not be having that problem as we will not be able to afford any children so she will be out of a job. Wed 04 Aug 2010 20:09:00 GMT+1 Pause for thought http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=99#comment358 Oh my word - I hope she never has triplets! Wed 04 Aug 2010 19:54:47 GMT+1 Sharon http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=98#comment357 One word, or rather... action. *facepalm* Wed 04 Aug 2010 19:50:46 GMT+1 g1c http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=98#comment356 #347 i asked about studies/proof earlier but strangly no-one can find anything.... Wed 04 Aug 2010 19:32:59 GMT+1 C Spybey http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=98#comment355 New mums should not be forced to breastfeed but encouraged to do so. Every mum goes through different experiences during and after birth. Some mums are blessed to have an easy birth and at ease to breastfeed while others will struggle. No new mums should feel guilty for not breastfeeding their children.When my son was born, he has jaundice. Within 5 days of his birth, he had to be hospitalised with lots of needles inserted into him. My son has to undergo photo-therapy, forced feed, sick most of the time and blood was taken out of him every hour to be tested. It took him almost 5 days to be on the path of healing. As a new mum then, I was so stressed and was also in a catch 22 situation. If I breastfeed my son, he would continue to lose weight and has to be admitted yet again in hospital. On the other hand, if I was to bottle feed him, he would put on weight and it would resolve the problem of his jaundice. Several mid wives came to show me how to breast feed. Each one told me different thing. I was made to feel guilty of not able to breastfeed my son - as if I was a bad mum. Eventually I decided I am the mum, I know I want the best for my son and I would do what is best for him. So I went to bottle feed him and he recovered. Thankfully for me, I was not forced into post natal depression! Was I a bad mum for not breastfeeding? No I just do what any mum would do - put my son first. Therefore Gisele Bundchen should just shut up! Not everyone is blessed to have so many helpers around.It was selfish, ignorant and vanity of Gisele Bundchen to make such an irresponsible remark without first understanding what other mums might go through. Her irresponsible remarks could make some mums guilty. Wed 04 Aug 2010 19:28:54 GMT+1 Malcolm Pearson http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=98#comment354 New mums should have the right to choose but they also deserve the correct advice i.e. it is better for baby if you do. You pass on all your own antibodies to your baby and will help baby fight infection.Education and the correct advice should be offerd...but not force-fed! Wed 04 Aug 2010 19:27:03 GMT+1 numptellie13 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=97#comment353 I am shocked and appalled at the slating that this woman (Gisele) has had over a throw-away comment, that simply implied her perception of the anti-breastfeeding culture that we now live in and how it damages our children. The sexist, misogynistic, abusive things said about her, it's incredible that the BBC allow it as free speech, when really it's catty, peevish, anonymous and ignorant people attempting to do her down personally as a woman and a model. I AM SICK of people talking about this. This crap doesn't seem to DIE! People whinging about how their kid waned to feed constantly so MUST have been starving (NEWBORNS FEED CONSTANTLY! MY 16 MONTH OLD is STILL MASSIVELY dependant on the breast!)! People whinging about personal choice and how THEY were bottle fed so they MUST be alright becasue they're 6ft! OF COURSE if you are reared on various animal proteins you are going to be massive (height does not equal health). As a nation we are SICK, ILL people. Dying of cancer, dementia, diabetes, you name it England and America have got it! MASSIVE bottle feeding cultures and incredible problems with diet. Victorian, prudish, religious histories have contributed massively to a decline in the true nuturing our children NEED. Mortality rates in the past have been due to unsanitary conditions etc. which, by the way for the people who reckon formula would have saved all those past kids...without MONEY AND CLEAN WATER FORMULA IS A KILLER! The MINOR MALADIES bttle feeding causes in wealthy countries; should they occur in a child in a developing country, can almost certainly mean DEATH! The year on year death rate directly attributed to formula feeding in developing countries makes it the biggest weapon of mass destruction the world has ever seen (this is not my opinion, I cite it as factual research!)!Breastfeeding is a delicate balance to strike...it means that every woman who had children would spend about 90% of her time feeding them! Bad news ladies...it's alot of effort ain't it! The techniques HAVE been lost as we are intefered with and confused by our culture. However breastfeeding IS coming back and the help IS out there so anyone struggling go get it. La Leche League etc. Tons of help now so don't feel helpless. Help yourselves and take responsibility for your babies! Wed 04 Aug 2010 19:25:59 GMT+1 Fiona_M http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=97#comment352 What I think is very telling is that when I was having my first baby everyone in the same ante-natal class as me wanted to breastfeed, knew how good it was for their baby and was aware of all the advertising which ecouraged them to do it, but only about 40% actually managed to still be breasfeeding at 6 weeks. Why? Because there is just not enough sensible practical advice available for new mums and they were not able to access any good quality support. That kind of support is what people need, not government or supermodels telling them what to do! Wed 04 Aug 2010 19:10:05 GMT+1 Dr Malcolm Alun Williams http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=97#comment351 10. At 6:08pm on 03 Aug 2010, Marie Harris wrote:Mums should be encouraged to breastfeed and given all possible help and guidance, but forced? No way. It is personel choice. And if a mother chooses not to breastfeed, she shouldn't be villianised.Hear hear! Wed 04 Aug 2010 18:55:09 GMT+1 Caroline Reid http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=96#comment350 Perhaps whatsername should get a life that has a point, then she can remove her nose from everyone else's! Wed 04 Aug 2010 18:36:29 GMT+1 Marie wingate http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=96#comment349 Why would anyone care?Maybe we should discuss the overwhelming inequality in the distribution of wealth in Brazil Gisele? Wed 04 Aug 2010 18:27:44 GMT+1 Rabbitkiller http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=96#comment348 Supermodel or super-idiot? Would someone tell her that some mothers have insufficient breast milk to sustain a baby? So would she let these infants starve to death? And - a 'worldwide law'? Someone please tell this woman to concentrate on her modelling and stop being stupid. Wed 04 Aug 2010 18:27:40 GMT+1 Val http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=96#comment347 I breast-fed my daughter for over a year. While I think new mums who are physically able to breast-feed should be encouraged to try it, I don't think it's the kind of thing you can just force on people. There are plenty of mums out there who either cannot or do not want to breast-feed, and this doesn't make them bad mothers.Remember - the important thing is that a baby is properly fed. This means enough food with the right nutrients. Breast milk is one way to do that, but formula was designed specifically to mimic breast-milk, and since its invention it has saved the lives of many babies whose mothers were unable to produce enough milk, or indeed any milk at all.Does the lovely Miss Bundchen really advocate letting babies starve just for the sake of 'going natural'? Wed 04 Aug 2010 18:23:42 GMT+1 J Workerbee http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=95#comment346 As one poster said, Breast milk and formula are not the same, and while formula does allow a child to grow and develop, you will never know its true potential.I wonder if there are any studies that follow the two methods?Seeing a rise in schools of children with ADHD, Dispraxia and a whole host of new problems, could it be down to the chemicals in formula? Wed 04 Aug 2010 18:15:43 GMT+1 Alasdair Campbell http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=95#comment345 An entirely personal decision in my view. My mother was dead when I was 3 days old and I am still here, alive and kicking at age nearly 70 - so, does the question really matter? Wed 04 Aug 2010 17:48:53 GMT+1 pauline http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=95#comment344 Ms Bundchen is an ecstatic new mum and has enjoyed (maybe with help) breastfeeding. I have had three children and attempted to breastfeed all of them. The first was most difficult but I was young and I persisted and lasted four months. It got easier with the other children - my second was fed for about 6 months including solid foods and my third was breastfed for around 10 months but again supplemented with solid foods. That was my choice! Breastfeeding is not for everyone. It is up to the individual mother! To make it law!! would be a law too far!! Don't victimise women for making their choice! Wed 04 Aug 2010 17:42:21 GMT+1 Jonn http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=95#comment343 #327. At 4:29pm on 04 Aug 2010, RubbishGirl wrote: quite a lot really.----------I remain unconvinced by your arguements - I still believe that the main hurdle to an increased rate of breast feeding is social rather than physical.Of course there are women who genuinally cannot breast feed. I just don't believe that this is the majority. An animal that cannot feed its own young is an evolutionary dead end. That there are ~6billion humans suggests that at some point breast feeding was possible for the majority.Corsets ? Are they, as you seem to suggest, really the cause of the decline in breast feeding in the UK ? It seems more likely that it is lack of facilities and intolerence of those mothers who choose to do so in public - i.e. social factors. Wed 04 Aug 2010 17:34:30 GMT+1 kimmyp66 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=94#comment342 The most important thing for a new baby and a new mum is that they are supported and not stressed.My first little girl was such a joy but the first two weeks were made absolute hell by a midwife and health visitor who bullied me and quite lterally made me feel like a total failure in their efforts to force breast feeding. I was in such a state my mother packed our bags and we went to stay with her. My mother called her GP which was our family doctors for years, they were so kind and helpful and came to see me and my new baby. his words were "what a load of nonsense, get those bottles sterelized and start enjoying these precious moments" My baby just could not latch on and the odd occasion she sort of did she just was not getting enough and i was feeding her all day and all night, she was unhappy and i was in so much pain and so tired. We got on with the bottles and the turn around was amazing. I got some sleep and my baby slept we got lots of fresh air and my little girl started to gain weight and just looked like a gorgeous little peach.It is perfectly ok to encourage a new mum to try but it is not ok to bully, intimedate and destroy what should be the most amazing and wonderful time.The truth is that most midwives are under enormous pressure and are just not able to give the amount of time to each new mum that they may need. some mums and babes seem to be very instinctive but for others they need a lot of help and even then it is not possible and actually that is perfectly normal thats why in the past wet nurses were used. Wed 04 Aug 2010 17:20:46 GMT+1 Jonn http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=94#comment341 325. At 4:14pm on 04 Aug 2010, Nakor wrote:284. At 1:44pm on 04 Aug 2010, Jonn wrote:"If this were truly the case then humans would have evolved to produce the exact same milk. There also would not be any lactose intolerance in human beings (being allergic to your own food source is an evolutionary dead end)."Ah but normally lactose intolerance develops after the child has been weened due to changes in the intestines and enzyme activity.----------------I think you missed the point. If cows milk is as good in every way for babies as human milk then there would be no differences between human milk and cows milk (they would be interchangable, you could use either, they'd be the same, they would lack difference, the one would be a perfect substitute for the other).But lactose intolerance is proof that they are not exactly the same. They differ. One is bette suited than the other. They are not equivalent.Sorry for not being clear first time. Wed 04 Aug 2010 17:20:17 GMT+1 adelaide http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=94#comment340 This woman is a "supermodel" and not necessarily that inteligent!! Her comments are rather silly and she is probably doing it to make herself more famous. So breastfeeding is better for the baby but there are many reasons why women cannot, and do not wish to, breast feed. If you want women to be at home, whilst their child is so young, then you will have to make it financially viable; they cannot work full-time and raise a child properly!! Wed 04 Aug 2010 17:02:11 GMT+1 Sat_tire http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=93#comment339 331. At 5:05pm on 04 Aug 2010, john33 wrote:Supermodels should stick to what they know and leave the advising regarding breastfeeding to the experts!It's amazing that when people achieve some level of celebrity they suddenly become experts on subjects they know little, or nothing about! I blame the media for having the stupidity to report it!==========================================As she had been breast feeding her new child this may give her some advantage in talking about it.The fact she is a celebrity is irrelevant. Its the issue that is the point, not the person who says it, in this instance Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:55:30 GMT+1 Leanne Evans http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=93#comment338 Oh for goodness sake, Gisele, you silly, silly girl. What a insensitive and uncalled for comment. Some people never really learn when to keep their mouth shut.I breast fed my son for 3 months and then, because of redundancy and the recession, was forced back to work since I was the only earner in the household. I would've loved to take more time with my son and breastfed for longer.Wouldn't it be great if we could all live in Gisele-land? Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:54:47 GMT+1 Peachypumpkin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=93#comment337 A typical off the cuff remark made by someone who doesn't really have a clue about the overall implications of what she's talking about. In an ideal world, yes, that would happen.I fed my first daughter for 13 months and it all came very easily for me - she latched on well, I had plenty of milk, everything went swimmingly. I assume as a result of this history that my second daughter would follow in the same way. My second daughter had problems latching on and was losing weight and I ended up back in hospital determined to get it to work. After coming home, the pallaver of trying to get her to take milk when she wouldn't latch on, whilst maintaining my supply was a nightmare. In the end I expressed for 5 weeks and fed her it from a bottle and then turned very reluctantly to formula believing I wasn't giving her the same chance as my first child. It broke my heart to do it and I beat myself up about it for months . My second daughter is, however, the picture of health. Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:48:00 GMT+1 junkmonkey http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=93#comment336 What an incredibly stupid HYS topic!She is a supermodel for God's sake. 'Boobies' are her stock in trade. The more ugly ones are shown about, the more value the really attractive ones will have.There is no more linkage between her mouth and her brain than there is from Barbara Striesand's mouth and brain. Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:42:57 GMT+1 Lenispal http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=92#comment335 If she is a celebrity then this woman's advice should be obeyed. In the olden days the masses were given rubbish to believe from religious nutters, now we get the rubbish from celebrities. Does my licence fee help to provide this information?It is a good idea to assume that most mums know best - why attempt to undermine their confidence?My litter of puppies was 11. Mum breast fed them, but I supplied lactol just in case there was not enough milk. Three have since qualified for Crufts, and two are accomplished doggy dancers. I hope my contribution has significantly enhanced this discussion. Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:36:01 GMT+1 recrec http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=92#comment334 No, no one should be forced to do anything! We have enough petty laws in this country already. Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:31:03 GMT+1 Lard_Cheeses http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=92#comment333 That law should be brought to the statute book as part of a general breastfeeding and supermodel act, so as to outlaw the use of formula AND prohibit overpaid dollybirds attempting an opinion in one fell swoop. Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:24:32 GMT+1 Adrian Swall http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=91#comment332 Who cares that some Supermodel has discovered that boobs have a genuine function. I have never heard of her and don't give a toss for her opinions. Just as a point of interest, I have no objection to people breast feeding in public and find objectors distictly weird. Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:16:50 GMT+1 BB http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=91#comment331 I am not a mother, and therefore no expert, but even I am amazed at the ignorance demonstrated by this comment. I'm sure 'breast is best' - but not breastfeeding your child does not mean that you are harming them, and some women simply cannot do it - either because their baby cannot learn to feed properly, or because they simply cannot get to grips with it. Then there are all the women who cannot breastfeed due to cancer treatment, or taking medication which would harm their baby.My mother breast fed both me and my brother, but admits to finding it extremely tiring - especially when she had post-natal depression to contend with. People talk about the benefits of breast milk due to the natural antibodies in a mother's milk - but whilst I was a healthy child and was hardly ever ill (I think I had less than a week off school in 14 years of education) - and still rarely get ill as an adult - my brother suffered with colds, tonsilitis, glandular fever, terrible hayfever ... you mention it, he had it. And yet we were both given breast milk.I have several friends with children and whilst some are happy to breast feed and find it simple, others have struggled - one even being reduced to tears by a health visitor because she was putting so much pressure on her to continue trying. Another had both babies by Caesarean section and was wiped out and simply did not have the energy or strength.To suggest that breast feeding should be made a legal requirement is irresponsible, and just adding to the many pressures already placed on new parents. Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:07:17 GMT+1 john33 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=91#comment330 Supermodels should stick to what they know and leave the advising regarding breastfeeding to the experts!It's amazing that when people achieve some level of celebrity they suddenly become experts on subjects they know little, or nothing about! I blame the media for having the stupidity to report it! Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:05:16 GMT+1 Ewenet Hagere http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=91#comment329 I agree that all women should try to breast-fed their babies however the idea of making it a law is going a bit too far. I have three children and breast-fed them all on demand. My first one was fed for two years, the other two about a year each. I experienced something strange among many men and women here in London. First of all I found a good number of my work colleagues ( females) would openly express their disgust when I told them I was breast feeding. I also found some women lie about it. ie, if they fed for two weeks, then they'd turn round and say 6 months which expose the huge pressure women are under when it comes to their body, image and child rearing. On one hand they want to do the best for their babies on the other they are pulled to modernism which in unintended way make them feel this is not cool. A lot of men also feel deeply uncomfortable at the sight of a mother feeding her child in public even discreetly. The irony is, when women bear their breast for show nobody is bothered by it-So, I believe in many people's mind in breast is a sexual part of the body rather than a source of life for infants as nature intended it to be. Other mammals do not have a problem with it-why should humans. My own experience taught me there is a link between the brain of a nursing mother and her breast. When you believe that this is very good for your child, the breast naturally becomes full and flexible. Without being insensitive and excluding those with huge medical need after birth, I noticed a good number of women who made so much fuss in the hospital of not being able to breast-feed are those who got worked up about the whole thing in the first place. Just relax, have a good meal and a warm drink at hand then all will be fine. Wed 04 Aug 2010 16:04:58 GMT+1 BrokenBlackberry http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=90#comment328 There's nothing more tedious than some MAW ('Model, Actress, Whatever'), whose profile is on the wane, banging on loudly about babies and childcare as soon as they've managed to squeeze one out.However, it's obvious she wasn't serious about wanting "a worldwide law that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months". Clearly this is just a light-hearted way of putting a bit of emphasis on how important she believes breast-feeding is. Not that anyone cares what she thinks...But it has caused great consternation and people are jumping up and down with steam coming out of their ears, so I guess the objective has been achieved: Gisele is back in the public consciousness. A nice PR result! Wed 04 Aug 2010 15:57:43 GMT+1 FrankandTomsDad http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=90#comment327 307. At 3:13pm on 04 Aug 2010, Sat_tire wrote:Absolutely, if they love their children............... If a man loves his wife, then the process of childbirth increases that love. It also gives a bond between mother and child, a different bond to a surgical procedure to avoid labour-------------------------------------------------------------------------My kids were breast fed for a while, I need to start with that because I'm about to upset your applecart Mrs Sat_tire.Love is a chemical inbalance that allows humans to be obsessed with a particular person so that breeding may happen. Homo Sapiens are not naturally monogomous, in fact, not many species are and set against the whole animal kingdom, it's a very small percantage and most of them are birds. Rightly there are some mammals that do, but I don't think any of the great apes are, so don't confuse the conservative victorian institution of pairing for life with anything to do with a natural state. The reason that we stay together for life, or not as many cases, is through convention and socio economic forces, not nature. At least, not on the whole, you will be able to find examples, but when you consider 6 billion people..?Also, I think you're wrong about the bond between mother and child and your thought process behind the birth itself. The bond is made throughout the time in the womb, not in the last few hours. Our brains are wired in such away that we don't remember our birth, the trauma would be too much. And I'm not convinced you're right about the 'lifestyle' element of your argument either. Wed 04 Aug 2010 15:39:16 GMT+1 RubbishGirl http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=90#comment326 Right John, I was willing to forgive your 1st ignorant post but as you seem determined to defend your stance regardless I cannot bite my tongue any longer!There is no "sudden rise" in women not being able to breastfeed in the uk this has always been an issue. Previously if a mother couldn't breastfeed or get a wet nurse the baby died. When the idea of wet nurses was raised you pooh-poohed it with the genius statement-------------------------------------------------------------------------Wet nurses - yes, I was already aware of this term. Again it doesn't really apply - a wet nurse had to be paid, only the well off could afford to do this. They chose to have a wetnurse primarily to get out of the bother of doing the feeding themselves, not because they were unable to do it. "It's easier not to" is also the mantra of the formula industry.-------------------------------------------------------------------------Yes indeed paid wet nurses were used mainly by the more well off however this doesn't preclude the peasants from using them, mothers would help out other mothers and considering the infant mortality rate was at 60% during the most prolific period of wet nursing (17th-18th century) there were no shortage of lactating women with no babies to go around. Also your assertion that the noblewomen who didn't breastfeed did so out of laziness, NOT TRUE, the majority of noblewomen who used wet nurses did so either because they couldn't breastfeed (corsetry played havoc with the boobies & internal organs,many were lucky to give birth at all) Or because lactating can be a barrier to ovulation & many of these women were pushed into using a wet nurse so they could be made pregnant again more quickly in case the 1st one died, then daddy gets his heir.Your claim that this is a "New" phenomena & in some way British women's fault is baseless & offensive. As an earlier poster said I feel sorry for your hypothetical wife if she ever fails to produce the milky goodness!Also at no point, or so I'm led to believe by trawling the net all day, has cows milk been held up as an acceptable healthy substitute for breast milk, general rule of thumb seems to be if you can breastfeed do, if not express, if this isn't an option use formula.BTW some babies ARE allergic to their mothers milk, it's rare but it happens, just the same as some women are allergic to their partners sperm, this is noones fault it just IS.Thankfully you seem to be in a minority here as one of those men who will just never get it. New mothers have enough on their plates already without being villified. Wed 04 Aug 2010 15:29:28 GMT+1 duckfilledfattypuss http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=90#comment325 She's either been misquoted or she's incapable of thinking beyond what's important to her own self.It's funny how some women can be seen as being really beautiful... until they open their ugly mouths.I fed my baby for 8 months and was very happy to do so. Some people aren't physically able to, and others aren't emotionally or psychologically able to. I suppose, if this Gisele woman had her way, those people would have their babies taken away because they broke her law.Quite unreal.Anyways, back to the real world......... Wed 04 Aug 2010 15:19:54 GMT+1 Nakor http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=89#comment324 284. At 1:44pm on 04 Aug 2010, Jonn wrote:"If this were truly the case then humans would have evolved to produce the exact same milk. There also would not be any lactose intolerance in human beings (being allergic to your own food source is an evolutionary dead end)."Ah but normally lactose intolerance develops after the child has been weened due to changes in the intestines and enzyme activity.It's been mentioned on here before that most ethnic races have a higher rate of intolerace than those of "white european" stock. Some African and Asian groups have nearly 80%-90% of the population as intolerant.If an animal can get all the nurtients it needs without needing milk it makes sense otherwise the women would produce milk all the time and not just when nursing. Wed 04 Aug 2010 15:14:01 GMT+1 braveraddish http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=89#comment323 This is why celebrities should not get involved with politics. Wed 04 Aug 2010 15:12:18 GMT+1 happygolucky http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=89#comment322 It is up to the mum and yes it is cheaper and better (in some cases) than the bottle milk, but may be the mum can't breastfeed. I think that we should mind our own business and let the mums get on with it. Wed 04 Aug 2010 15:11:12 GMT+1 katiecat83 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=88#comment321 There are so many flaws with her idea it's difficult to know where to begin!How would you police such a thing and what would happen to those women who actually can't? Not to mention personal choice...... Wed 04 Aug 2010 15:10:24 GMT+1 SS42 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=88#comment320 Mothers should be advised to breastfeed for as long as possible. There should be no stigma about breastfeeding in public. Breastfeeding has been shown to be beneficial with regards to the health of both mother and baby. Wed 04 Aug 2010 15:00:31 GMT+1 Sat_tire http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=88#comment319 304. At 2:50pm on 04 Aug 2010, DisgustedOfMitcham2 wrote:Guys, guys, this was never meant to be a serious suggestion. It was a little stunt dreamed up by Ms Bunchen's PR consultants to get her in the news.Looks like it worked, too.==========================That it may have been but now the story has taken a slightly serious dimension as all the so called experts start giving their views. Will this be complete when Cheryl Cole gives her opinion? But to be serious, it is a serious issue of giving your child the best start in life, if you can breast feed. The only reason not do is medical and not superficial. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:59:23 GMT+1 clamdip lobster claws http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=88#comment318 Sara raises an excellent point about getting help in the hospital. I thank the excellent nurse who fondled my breast and instructed me many years ago on proper breastfeeding techniques. If it weren't for her encouragement I probably would have given up too. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:53:18 GMT+1 Rob http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=87#comment317 What Training and Qualifications does "Gisele Bundchen" have in order to give such advice? Granted she may have just become a mother hand like all other new mothers, will have the "I know everything about motherhood" attitude, but she's still just a Model. Model's aren't exactly known for their intelligence.I also don't think it matters what she says, all other new mothers will probably "know everything about motherhood" and will just follow their own instincts. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:47:20 GMT+1 mags http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=87#comment316 All I can say is I have been allowed several minutes of smiling at the comments surrounding this artical. Its all down to the individual. I think even Gordon would be hard pressed to immpliment this as a law.I would have thought that this young lady would think carefully before such comments considering the uproar over models eating habits.Enough said I just find this amusing. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:45:10 GMT+1 LabourBrokeBritain http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=87#comment315 This post has been Removed Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:43:27 GMT+1 NBS77 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=86#comment314 I think Gisele should really think before she speaks. I for one could not breast feed. I agree with her that it would have been better for my son had I been able to, and I did try very hard, but a culmination of issues meant that my son was raised on formula milk. He is happy, healthy and full of beans, so I resent this person (who is paid merely for her looks, not her degrees in paediatric medicine or her years of research on what is best for mother and child) making a sweeping statement that really undervalues the efforts of us mere mortal mothers. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:41:50 GMT+1 Byblos http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=86#comment313 As soon as I saw the banner,I knew this would be a hornet's nest! To the question a resounding NO. Is this woman aware than in many countries, a woman breast feeding the first child, falls pregnant with her second (this is another can of worms). The second child doesn't get enough nourishment from Mum. Ergo, both children end up poorly nourished. I believe the name is Kwashiokor - erudation on this would be very helpful. Breastfeeding is definitely a private matter. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:40:21 GMT+1 Nok http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=86#comment312 This post has been Removed Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:33:40 GMT+1 U14366475 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=86#comment311 Should new mums be forced to breastfeed? No, they go to Iceland. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:29:09 GMT+1 Muddy Waters the 2nd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=85#comment310 I'm still a baby and still waiting for someone to breast feed me. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:27:52 GMT+1 life4peace http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=85#comment309 When will this one-size-fits-all mentality stop? Just because breastfeeding worked for me and this Brazillain, I would not be so arrogant as to assume it has, (is) and will always work for every woman. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:21:24 GMT+1 FrankandTomsDad http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=85#comment308 288. At 1:52pm on 04 Aug 2010, smell the coffee wrote:My reaction?I dont see the point in conr=tributing to this or any other BBC forum when the uber-controllers (its not PC to describe them as gestapo apparently) simply block posts.By all means have a "moderation" system but there should be some system of accountability whereby, if a post is bvlocked, the reasons for such blocking are given - not simply a reference to the HYS rules of engagement.What a waste of time------------------------------------------------------------------------That arguement's pretty knackered then isn't it!! Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:20:02 GMT+1 Peter_Sym http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=85#comment307 At 6:47pm on 03 Aug 2010, Charles wrote:Well, we are used to a controversial way of putting it aren't we... but yes, having a law like this wouldn't be such a bad idea, come to think of it... After all, the practice is rather the opposite in the West; people are detached from bodily contact and breastfeeding in public is considered offensive (unlike in the past), they opt for epidural numbness instead of connecting with their newbornYou do realise that having an epidural involves stick a large needle into the spinal column and has a fairly reasonable risk of paralysis and/or death if not done perfectly. Its not something you 'opt' to do like choosing a breakfast cereal. Incidentally I was a breech birth taking 28 hours. Rather than a C section I was manually rotated and delivered by hand (which involved something more often seen on programmes about vets and cattle). Believe me YOU'D want some pretty serious paint relief before letting an obstetrician do that to you. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:17:29 GMT+1 Sat_tire http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=84#comment306 Absolutely, if they love their children.However it cannot be universal as there may be medical reason for not breast feeding. Thats acceptable and a fact of life, but you can buy breast milk, I have seen a business pitch for it. It may have been on Dragon's Den. To choose not to breast feed so that they can drink alcohol, because her breasts are for her husband in bed, because they don't want them to change from breast feeding and all the other poor parenting reasons that are given are just that, poor parenting decisions. Its no different to people who are too lazy to go through natural childbirth because it will change their downstairs forever. Its been like that for all time. If a man loves his wife, then the process of childbirth increases that love. It also gives a bond between mother and child, a different bond to a surgical procedure to avoid labourMy daughter was breast feed for 2 years and my son for 19 months, neither has even been sick, apart from chicken pox. Is my GP lying when he says they are so healthy in part because they were breast feed for so long. I know who I would trust more, a GP or a major corporation making formula milk.If we were not meant to be breast feed then we would eat solid food right from the start.The best excuse I have ever heard was that a womans partner liked to do the feeding. I asked why she didn't express the milk. She couldn't answer. Say's it all. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:13:49 GMT+1 Peter_Sym http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=84#comment305 " 288. At 1:52pm on 04 Aug 2010, smell the coffee wrote:My reaction?I dont see the point in conr=tributing to this or any other BBC forum when the uber-controllers (its not PC to describe them as gestapo apparently) simply block posts.By all means have a "moderation" system but there should be some system of accountability whereby, if a post is bvlocked, the reasons for such blocking are given - not simply a reference to the HYS rules of engagement.What a waste of time "The gestapo were usually efficient and if you got arrested by them it was usually for a pretty obvious reason. The BBC mods decisions are completely arbitrary and without any logic. It is very well known that several supermodels have been caught taking drugs and that many smoke in order to suppress their appetite. Eating disorders (both anorexia and bulemia) are common too.I had one post recently deleted for saying Jeffrey Archer lied in court. For gods sake! He did two years in jail for it! Its not libel to state the truth. The fact that there were hundreds of posts speculating that Gordon Brown beats up his staff makes the 'House rules' even more ridiculous.Saying this however violates the house rules.What a joke. Wed 04 Aug 2010 14:13:30 GMT+1 Vladimir Plouzhnikov http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=84#comment304 How is she going to make them to breastfeed? What if they refuse? What is she going to do then - put those who refuse in jail? Take the babies away?Is she going to create a Breast Feeding Service which will breast feed babies confiscated from mothers who refuse to breast feed?She'd better concentrate on modeling and leave the lawmaking to lawmakers and politicians. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:54:23 GMT+1 DisgustedOfMitcham2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=83#comment303 Guys, guys, this was never meant to be a serious suggestion. It was a little stunt dreamed up by Ms Bunchen's PR consultants to get her in the news.Looks like it worked, too. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:50:39 GMT+1 Sphodrias http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=83#comment302 "The reality is that 96% of women who CHOOSE not to breastfeed do so for selfish reasons. very few women don't produce enough milk they aren't taught, willing to or supported properly. when we finally realise that if we choose to reproduce then it is our moral and human duty to let go of our selfish, self obsessed, me time for a few months and focus on the child we chose to have. too much for many women? yes, read the above. She has a point."_________________________For a few months?Surely that should be several years? Or your attitude could explain the abundance of uncontrollable children from 'earth mothers' who love nothing more than informing everyone how fabulous they were and how they did everything 'naturally'.They think motherhood only lasts a few months and so educating their children in how to integrate into society as they grow is not their job! Truly an eye opener! Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:50:26 GMT+1 Sphodrias http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=83#comment301 "What are the point of breasts if mothers don't breastfeed?"_______________________Have you ever posed question that to a woman who either had no children or did not breastfeed?Why not go the whole hog and ask what is the point of a woman who does not reproduce?Or shall we just accept that in the modern age people, even women, have choices? Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:39:16 GMT+1 Nok http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=83#comment300 280. At 1:37pm on 04 Aug 2010, Peter_Sym wrote:Another secret BBC house rule: you can't mention the methods used by models to keep their weight down to show why taking diet advice from a model is pretty stupid.----In legal terms i would guess there is a fine line betwen relating, historically, that certain super-models have used illegal intoxicants, such as cocaine as appetite suppresants, and actually inferring that a specific model is a rabid coke-head. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:36:13 GMT+1 Dave http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=82#comment299 This is a individual concern and should be left as such. Pity HYS can't find anything better to ask.Leave it up to the parents, sure be interesting to hear the HYS comments on this one. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:32:48 GMT+1 Nina http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=82#comment298 There has always been those women who cannot breast feed and for those the babies would have died a long time ago when there was no formula. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:26:38 GMT+1 Nina http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=82#comment297 Look, this is her opinion, as long as no one actually takes it seriously or implements it then we are ok. It should be down to the mothers how to feed their baby on the advice of their midwives and doctors. This is not a communist country as this is a very communist thing to say. Some mothers physically cannot breast feed due to health issues or infections or babies just not wanting it. Also, all those companies making milk formula will go out of business and that would be more people unemployed. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:24:10 GMT+1 MagicKirin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=81#comment296 Because Gisele's husband Real Football Star Tom Brady plays in boston, we hear more from her than we would like.Reports say she only breast fed for three weeks Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:17:02 GMT+1 Phil the Pill http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=81#comment295 Since when did motherhood inpart any divine insight on anything? The BBC for one seem to think that when any issue relating to child behaviour and care is being discussed they need to trot out Sophie (mother of five) or Antonia (mother of eight) as the ideal spokesperson to tell us all "how it should be done". The best comment I have heard on motherhood, came from the Judge in my divorce hearing, when one of the witnesses for my ex-wife started her comments with "As a mother..." The Judge immediately stopped her and said, "Your status as a mother has no particular weight or bearing on your observations....." and basically dismissed her "evidence". Same applies here do whatever the individual feels comfortable with having weighed up all the valid pros and cons. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:13:05 GMT+1 Graham http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=81#comment294 271. At 1:11pm on 04 Aug 2010, Jonn wrote:239. At 11:41am on 04 Aug 2010, Jonn wrote:Something I don't understand though, reading through a lot of these comments, is how suddenly women have become unable to breast feed. Since the milk replacement / formula industry has only existed for about 50 years, how is that humans managed for thousands of years but have suddenly in Western Europe (and the UK in particular) become unable to breast feed ?Is there a doctor in the house who can explain this mysterious example of evolution ---------------------------------I am not a doctor but check the infant mortality rate before bottle formulas were introduced. -----------------------------------That is a different question you are answering,- but in any case that would include the effect of not having modern medicines or hygiene.It would probably be more useful to look at modern data for Western Euopean countries which have higher rates of breast feeding than in the UK (France, Sweden, Germany, Denmark,... hmm getting to be a long list - quite a few really). These countries don't show a higher level of infant mortality.Which still leaves the original question unanswered - how is that women in the UK have evolved such that they are incapable of breast feeding ? Not that they choose not to. Not that they need any medical assistance, or advice, or support. From reading a lot of the comments above they actually are physically incapable of breast feeding - how did that happen ? Shouldn't there be some sort of inquiry ?-----------------------------------This stupid topic, prompted by a bimbo in Brazil, promoting a law forcing women to breast feed, has no place on HYS. The fact that an number of women either can't or do not want to breast feed is of no business to anyone but the mother. If it is lifestyle choice then that is exactly what it is, a choice. If it is due to medical conditions then there is no option. What does the mother do? Let the baby die?I did a little research (used a search engine) on John's post and did find that statistically he is correct that we have lower breasteeding mothers than most European countries. I also found that there seems to be a lot of pressure groups floating around promoting similar lunatic suggestions that the "Girl from Ipanema" is mouthing.These pressure groups all quote World Health Organisation "rules", "judgements", etc, etc, on breast feeding "targets" and "advice" to government health officials. Is this the same WHO that caused mass panic last year when we were all going to die from Swine Flu? Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:11:58 GMT+1 The Ghosts of John Galt http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=81#comment293 Should new mums be forced to breastfeed?I am not so sure many 'new mums' will want to drink breast milk! ;-)Or is the proposal for 'new mums' to drink the breast milk from other 'new mums'? Either way I am not sure the State can force any 'new mum' to drink breast milk.......Sounds quite horrible to me ;-) A bit Little Britain..... Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:11:52 GMT+1 SNA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=80#comment292 13. At 6:09pm on 03 Aug 2010, Suz wrote:No way.Not everyone can stay at home and raise a child. It's sexist and insulting. Men raise children too. Are we going to marginalise half of the child's parents for not being able to lactate?===============================================================Insulting ? how huh ?this is the child RIGHT also .. to be 100% healthy to have a good immunity system .. you dont want to take care of your child dont have a child ...it is HIS RIGHT .. not yours ..a real MOTHER , do u understand the meaning of this word ??would leave everything for her children ...actually it is not insulting u are selfish .the world has gone upside down .. the right thing is an insult now. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:10:43 GMT+1 dorflimp http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=80#comment291 This pampered over preening clothes horse needs to do a reality check,not all ladies can breast feed....and not all want to,those who do are welcome to it but do not look down your noses at those who do not wish to participate.......hell fire, if we cannot tell people what they may or may not wear,how the hell can we tell people what to do with their bodies ?! Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:07:36 GMT+1 angry_of_garston http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=80#comment290 Who is she? Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:06:36 GMT+1 tardigrade http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=80#comment289 Yes, and they should be made to wear floral-print frocks, have long blond hair, perfect dentition, rosy cheeks and all be named Gwyneth Paltrow. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:06:04 GMT+1 milvusvestal http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=79#comment288 Yes, all mothers should breastfeed whenever practically possible. Milk from the breast is the most natural thing in the world, and artificial substitutes are just that. You are what you eat. Wed 04 Aug 2010 13:05:30 GMT+1 smell the coffee http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=79#comment287 My reaction?I dont see the point in conr=tributing to this or any other BBC forum when the uber-controllers (its not PC to describe them as gestapo apparently) simply block posts.By all means have a "moderation" system but there should be some system of accountability whereby, if a post is bvlocked, the reasons for such blocking are given - not simply a reference to the HYS rules of engagement.What a waste of time Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:52:25 GMT+1 pandatank http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=79#comment286 I agree with Giselle, it may be the last chance to put them on display before they turn into razor strops. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:48:53 GMT+1 daisie108 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=78#comment285 At 6:47pm on 03 Aug 2010, Charles wrote:Well, we are used to a controversial way of putting it aren't we... but yes, having a law like this wouldn't be such a bad idea, come to think of it... After all, the practice is rather the opposite in the West; people are detached from bodily contact and breastfeeding in public is considered offensive (unlike in the past), they opt for epidural numbness instead of connecting with their newborn----------------------------------------------------------That's rich coming from someone called Charles... whom I assume is male and can neither breastfeed nor give birth. You thankfully will never know that pain or pleasure of either. I can to a degree understand that you have an opinion on breastfeeding however it completely boggles my mind to read that you seem to think it is wrong to offer a mother some pain relief during birth. Easy to have an opinion on it when you'll never have to experience that pain. Believe me you can still feel almost everything during childbirth with an epidural, it only dulls the pain a bit. I speak from experience, 18 hours of hard labor and an epidural with my 1st child only to end up with a C-section (btw Charles.. you can feel everything during that C-section aswell) I suppose you could possibly be against C-sections too, but sometimes they are necessary if the baby is in distress. Good luck to your wife Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:45:38 GMT+1 AdMeus-CaputFilius http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=78#comment284 Once more a 'celebrity' shows that their lack of compasion towards others, proving yet again they are 'divorced' from the real world. I would imagine she also thinks that everyother woman in the world had the same 'wonderful' pregnancy and the same help her fame and fortune bought her.My wife caught a 'Superbug' whilst in hospital, although it was clear she was having problems (not just with breast feeding) the hospital staff were very unhelpful, she put up with it and said all the right things to get home becasue she felt so isolated and alone - after three days she was re-admitted and kept in isolation for a week on high drugs dosages which prevented her from breast feeding and I had to care for my son (taking him in to see her during visiting hours). The hospital admitted they had problems (we were not the only ones to complain) which were quickly put right. According to this 'celebrity', my wife should have been forced to breast feed my son, so if that were the case, would she (as she is advocatng this law) accept the resposibility for any ill or side effects my son would have suffered? No, I didn't think so. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:45:20 GMT+1 Jonn http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=78#comment283 255. At 12:39pm on 04 Aug 2010, David wrote:239. At 11:41am on 04 Aug 2010, Jonn wrote:Something I don't understand though, reading through a lot of these comments, is how suddenly women have become unable to breast feed. Since the milk replacement / formula industry has only existed for about 50 years, how is that humans managed for thousands of years but have suddenly in Western Europe (and the UK in particular) become unable to breast feed ?Is there a doctor in the house who can explain this mysterious example of evolution ? -------------------------------------------------------------The fact is that a lot of women can not breastfeed, and this isn't a new situation, it has happened throughout evolution. In the past before alternatives became available either the baby died or a wet nurse was used. A wet nurse in case you don't know is another female who was producing milk. -----------------------------I have no doubt that some women really cannot breast feed. You say a lot of women ? Evidence for this "fact" seems to be poorly documented. In the UK it seems to be a majority (based on postings here - which could be an unreliable sample I grant you). A majority are incapable ? Can't find any evidence for that at all. Even if it were true, why isn't this the case in other similar European countries which have a much higher rate of breast feeding ? Wet nurses - yes, I was already aware of this term. Again it doesn't really apply - a wet nurse had to be paid, only the well off could afford to do this. They chose to have a wetnurse primarily to get out of the bother of doing the feeding themselves, not because they were unable to do it. "It's easier not to" is also the mantra of the formula industry.It seems odd (to me anyway) that cows milk should be better/as good as human milk. If this were truly the case then humans would have evolved to produce the exact same milk. There also would not be any lactose intolerance in human beings (being allergic to your own food source is an evolutionary dead end). Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:44:38 GMT+1 Carolyn http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=78#comment282 This post has been Removed Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:41:31 GMT+1 Tiahahnya http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=77#comment281 For crying out loud, yet another new so called celebrity mother and suddenly she knows best and seems to think she is some sort of position to dictate to others. No women should not be forced to breast feed, not now nor in the future. None of my kids would breast feed for whatever reason and quite honestly I didn't really enjoy it myself. All my kids had formula milk and are doing just as well for it. What I also enjoyed was the fact that their father could get involved and thus developed a bond with the kids, that is more important to me.I doubt this will ever be made law because its nobody else's business but the parents, I don't even think parents should be put under pressure to breast feed, its your choice and you as the parent do what you feel more comfortable doing. These celebs know nothing really but seem to think that because they are in the money that makes them the best parents in the world. Pathetic! Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:39:36 GMT+1 toni49 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=77#comment280 It really should be a mother's choice. There should be facilities available for breast feeding mothers, and it should be acceptable to breast feed in public. However, if a mother does not want to breast feed then thats okay too. One of the most important things is that both parents are happy and enjoy the first few months of having a new baby. Breast is best, but bottle is okay too. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:39:34 GMT+1 Peter_Sym http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=77#comment279 Another secret BBC house rule: you can't mention the methods used by models to keep their weight down to show why taking diet advice from a model is pretty stupid. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:37:40 GMT+1 DansLeDoute http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=77#comment278 What a ridiculous thing to say! My sister suffered four months of terrible pain while trying to breastfeed my nephew. The health visitors’ only remark was “stop fussing – your baby needs this so you’ll just have to deal with it.” She tried to carry on out of guilt but was in such a state that her husband ended up begging her to stop. I can’t believe there are women out there who would make comments like this... Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:37:19 GMT+1 EvilPandora http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=76#comment277 No mother should be made to breast feed or made to feel a failure if for any reason she can't.I had my daughter some 40 years ago and intended to breast feed, I was discharged from hospital when she was 36 hours old with a screaming fractious baby and the hospital couldn't/wouldn't cope. My GP came and said she got to go one the bottle, your breast haven't produced milk, so she went on Cow & Gate, unfortunately the clinic health professional kept telling me to cut her feeds down as she was fat because she was bottled feed!, by the time she was four months old she weighed 7 pounds she weighed 5lbs 14ozs (4 weeks early), cried for 20 hours out of 24. My daughter was being starved by so called experts and my lasting memories are those dreadful first 4 months.When my son arrived 8 weeks early he was put straight onto SMA by tube, again I expressed milk and was told it was as weak as water and to forget breast feeding. When my daughter in law had my grandson she didn't produce enough milk so he was put on formula and when my daughter son arrived she couldn't breastfeed because of the steroids and other medication she is taking for her brittle asthma. So we are on our second generation of 'bottle fed' and, surprise surprise we all intelligent and contented people.The moral - WE ALL DO WHAT IS BEST FOR OUR BABIES AND IF THE CHOICE IS A BOTTLE OR A DEAD BREAST FED BABY THERE IS NO CHOICE Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:34:31 GMT+1 rodgercambs http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=76#comment276 This model returned to the catwalk 6 weeks after giving birth. So if she managed to shed the baby weight in 6 weeks and maintain here under weight BMI, is her baby getting all the nutrients it needs via breast feeding.Just a thought Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:31:22 GMT+1 Rupert Smyth http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=76#comment275 265. At 1:00pm on 04 Aug 2010, Caroline wrote:Breast is best, certainly.-------------------------------------------Oh I don't know so much. I am a leg man myself. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:29:02 GMT+1 John in Scotland http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=75#comment274 Stupor Model endorses Worldwide BREAST Feeding Law( or Be the BREAST You Can Be )I am just so perfectAs you can plainly seeAll of the magazines Taking pictures of meWhat was Tom doingWhile on top of meThe Doctor confirmed A mother you will beI have a great careerMust keep myself trimBodies getting biggerWork out at the gymThe moment has comeIt’s time for labour dayThe Kung fu Yoga pandaHelps me prepare the wayA son was our blessingLittle Ben is his nameI must start right awayThe breastfeeding gameOh - he is latching onLeft first then rightHungry little BennySucking day and nightGiselle – now an expertHer breasts are just fineThe BAZAAR magazinePut her words on lineA worldwide law neededBreastfeeding the planBabies need booby milkNot stuff from a can If they passed the lawGave it their endorsementI guess we call the copsBreast Law EnforcementHidden from prying eyesA bottle is being usedTried hard with her babyHer breasts were refusedLocation is surroundedThe suspect is insideHow hard it has becomeTo find a place to hideTIT Cops on the scene The door is broken downSuspect apprehendedFace down on the groundBreast-cuffs are appliedMom she shakes with fearThe baby taken from herBoth crying great big tearsI put baby on my breastHonestly I really triedThe Court day is decidedRequest for bail deniedThe charge sheet read outBreast-law 107 brokenSentence swiftly passedNo defence was spoken10 years Breast labourThe sentence very scaryShe works 12 hours/dayMilking cows at a dairyParole is not an optionIn the Breast Nanny StateBut what about her babyShe’ll never learn it’s fateJohn in ScotlandNotes from the Author ( and no I’m not a MILKY Breast-expert )1 – Not every woman is able to feed her baby on the breast, so according to the BAFS Law ( Breasts are for Sucking Law ), I guess these women would have to adopt out their baby and then be sterilized from becoming pregnant ever again2 – Should we blame the babies – you know – not every baby can manage to latch on. I guess these babies that don’t or won’t suck the breast would be shunned like lepers were in times past.3 – What if a new mom follows the BAFS Law and her baby starves to death – I guess the law would have to charge her with murder, pass the sentence, lock up her Breasts and throw away the key4 – What if a new mother with Milky breasts loses her child shortly after it is born. Will the BAFS Law impound her breasts and force her to feed other babies whose mom’s can’t deliver the WHITE Stuff. I can picture the scene – Milky breasted ladies in cages while a conveyor sends junior down at feeding time. It’s kind of like battery hens and laying eggs.5 – AGREED – a baby needs fed ( by whatever means – breast or bottle ) but more importantly a baby needs love.6 – If you can breast feed that’s great - but it does not mean you’re a better mother than other women who can’t7 – If you can’t breast feed for whatever reason that’s fine. Don’t let them make you believe that you are not a good mother because of the WHITE stuff 8 – Babies are truly a blessing. I know because we have been blessed four times in our marriage with 1 boy and 3 girls.FINAL NOTE to GiselleTake your opinions, pick up your baby, pack up the pram, tuck in your tits and go back to BRA-zil into your fantasy land. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:24:49 GMT+1 rjaggar http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=75#comment273 And maybe Giselle can learn the difference between encouraging free women and treating them like prisoners without adult rights?? Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:22:47 GMT+1 Caroline http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=75#comment272 239. At 11:41am on 04 Aug 2010, Jonn wrote:Something I don't understand though, reading through a lot of these comments, is how suddenly women have become unable to breast feed. Since the milk replacement / formula industry has only existed for about 50 years, how is that humans managed for thousands of years but have suddenly in Western Europe (and the UK in particular) become unable to breast feed ?---You might want to look at infant mortality rates, John.There have always been women who've been unable to breastfeed. Moreover for hundreds of years there have been women who were 'too posh to'. Before formula, they hired wet-nurses. Or their babies died.Where feeding is considered normal, mothers, sisters & aunties are all willing and able to help a new mum with the process. No one bats an eye if they see a mum on the bus or in a park or cafe feeding her child. It's only in this so-called civilised country that we dare not for fear someone will catch a flash of a few inches of skin. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:16:39 GMT+1 northern_lass2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=75#comment271 I tried & tried for 11 weeks to BF my son but eventually gave up. I had lots of support from NHS & NCT BF Counsellors but for whatever reason, my son just wouldn't latch on so I ended up expressing for EVERY feed for 11 weeks! It was VERY stressful, upsetting & I felt like a failure because I couldn't do what was supposed to be 'the most natural thing' between mother & baby. He had formula after that & is happy & healthy 2 years on. There's enough pressure on new mums as it is without stupid comments like this from clueless celebs! Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:16:00 GMT+1 Jonn http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=74#comment270 239. At 11:41am on 04 Aug 2010, Jonn wrote:Something I don't understand though, reading through a lot of these comments, is how suddenly women have become unable to breast feed. Since the milk replacement / formula industry has only existed for about 50 years, how is that humans managed for thousands of years but have suddenly in Western Europe (and the UK in particular) become unable to breast feed ?Is there a doctor in the house who can explain this mysterious example of evolution ---------------------------------I am not a doctor but check the infant mortality rate before bottle formulas were introduced. -----------------------------------That is a different question you are answering,- but in any case that would include the effect of not having modern medicines or hygiene.It would probably be more useful to look at modern data for Western Euopean countries which have higher rates of breast feeding than in the UK (France, Sweden, Germany, Denmark,... hmm getting to be a long list - quite a few really). These countries don't show a higher level of infant mortality.Which still leaves the original question unanswered - how is that women in the UK have evolved such that they are incapable of breast feeding ? Not that they choose not to. Not that they need any medical assistance, or advice, or support. From reading a lot of the comments above they actually are physically incapable of breast feeding - how did that happen ? Shouldn't there be some sort of inquiry ? Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:11:20 GMT+1 Sue Cardiff http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=74#comment269 What a load of tosh, who does Gisele Bundchen think she is? I breast fed both of my children and whereas I believe I did what I thought best for them, I don't think that anyone has the right to demand babies should be breast fed, in fact one sure way to put mums off breast feeding is to demand that they do it. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:10:01 GMT+1 oldhoneybee http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=74#comment268 First, you have a magazine columnist who thinks that letting a baby latch on to her "funbags" is creepy, then you have a supermodel who wants to force women breastfeed. Who cares about what they think, anyway? Breatfeeding or not, it is a personal decision, based upon the physical and psychological conditions of both mother and baby, and the circumstance they live in. Perhaps we should stop being judgemental and let everyone live the lives they want, as long as this doesn't affect the others. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:05:24 GMT+1 Wage_Slave http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=73#comment267 Great idea!Now where do I sign up to for one of these new breast inspector jobs? Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:04:15 GMT+1 Peter N http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=73#comment266 "#58. At 7:03pm on 03 Aug 2010, Michelle Leonard wrote:This is an offensive statement for adoptive mothers."I don't think she was actually including 'adoptive mothers' any more than she was step-mothers, mother superior or Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. She was talking about women who have just given birth....you know.....mothers. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:03:59 GMT+1 Scottish Davie http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=73#comment265 Does anybody care? Apparently I wasn't breastfed but my younger sister was. I've never felt the need to ask our mother why. We're both fit, healthy, reasonably sane fifty-somethings and either way it hasn't mattered. OK, as man I see things a bit differently but nowadays there seems to be something approaching fascism about breastfeeding. If a woman can't or won't breastfeed that should be a matter for her and nobody else.On a different point my local NHS Trust apparently employs a number of "breastfeeding support workers" which makes me wonder exactly why NHS spending should be ring-fenced when they can waste money like this. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:01:04 GMT+1 Caroline http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=73#comment264 Breast is best, certainly.Women who try but fail to feed often feel guilty or upset. The more exper support and encouragement they get, the better. Fewer will fail. Women often feel horribly self-conscious if they take their babies out. You can't condemn a woman to effective house arrest for 6 months, so let's see better Public acceptance of the RIGHT to breastfeed. Then maybe fewer will give up (as I did) after a few weeks of feeling trapped at home.But I am appalled at the ignorance of a woman who wants to enforce it. What is she expecting? Boobie-Cops to go around confiscating formula and bottles? How ridiculous. Wed 04 Aug 2010 12:00:41 GMT+1 George http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=72#comment263 yes.... Wed 04 Aug 2010 11:59:20 GMT+1 Peter N http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=72#comment262 "#6. At 5:58pm on 03 Aug 2010, SimonM wrote:My blood is boiling !!! What planet is this woman on... it certainly isn't the same one as me."No, she is, she's from Brazil; that is in South America. Wed 04 Aug 2010 11:58:52 GMT+1 Neil Probert http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/08/should_new_mums_be_forced_to_b.html?page=72#comment261 'Should new mums be forced to breastfeed?'At gunpoint? Wed 04 Aug 2010 11:54:18 GMT+1