Comments for http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html en-gb 30 Thu 02 Oct 2014 09:16:41 GMT+1 A feed of user comments from the page found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html wonkeb http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=99#comment342 All of them are fanatstic players but Messi is the most worthy winner Fri 28 Jan 2011 15:18:32 GMT+1 AndyNeill http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=99#comment341 By the way, Xavi did win the World Soccer magazine version of the award, which is a long-standing and prestigious one. Sun 23 Jan 2011 14:58:22 GMT+1 AndyNeill http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=99#comment340 The few weeks of the World Cup always have too much influence on the voting. I remember Davor Suker was runner-up in '98 for his World Cup goals, even though for the rest of the year he was on the bench for Real Madrid and only scored about 8 goals. Whilst I love Xavi and Iniesta as players, Messi is the World's best player right now, and so deserved the award. There are other trophies for 'achievement' which are awarded to whole teams i.e. La Liga, The Champions League, the World Cup.Don't forget, all through the spring of 2010 everyone was debating whether Messi was playing at a level with Maradona and Pele. Great players though Xavi and Iniesta certainly are (and to a lesser extent Ronaldo and Schneider), none of them was ever compared to Maradona during 2010. Sun 23 Jan 2011 14:56:59 GMT+1 kieoo http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=98#comment339 MESSI IS A WONDERFUL PLAYER BUT DIDNT MERIT THE AWARD ,ESPECIALLY IN A WORLD CUP YEAR, WHERE HIS TEAM DIDNT EVEN REACH THE SEMI FINALS. IT WAS A CRIME FOR FIFA TO EXCLUDE WESLEY SNEIDJER FROM THE HONORS. HAD FIFA NOT BLUNDERED BY THE MERGING BOTH AWARDS, SNEIDJER WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE NOD FOR EUROPEAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR, AND PERHAPS XAVI OR INIESTA FOR THE WORLD PLAYER AWARD. ITS MIND BOGGLING TO SEE FABIO CANNAVARO, KNOWN FOR TEAM PLAY,SWEEP THE AWARDS IN 2006, BUT NOT SO FOR THE LIKES OF XAVI, WHO WAS MORE VISIBLE FOR CLUB AND COUNTRY. THIS IS CIVILISED ROBBERY. AM NOT HAPPY Thu 20 Jan 2011 23:14:11 GMT+1 LeoMessiah http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=98#comment338 @337 there is no second shortlist, they just announce the three most voted playersFor those who comment that Messi doesn't have to put up with hard defenders in La Liga, look for videos on that theme, particularly good the ones about how Real deal with Messi (hunt him down with pure brutality), and of course, search for the "Ujfalusi tackle on Messi" at the beginning of this season. It hurts watching. Thu 20 Jan 2011 13:22:37 GMT+1 REDREDRED http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=98#comment337 Lionel Messi is a Master but so is Xavi and Inesta in their own way. Any one was deserving of this award. I am pleased for Lionel as I watch Baca every week and drool over the whole team and the way they play this glorious game this is how it should be played. Thu 20 Jan 2011 09:29:18 GMT+1 bambangpoerbo http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=97#comment336 I believed FIFA had made the new Ballon d'Or not picking the right person. First the shortlisted thing. Then the 2nd shortlisted phase that only have 3 players to choose. That was wrong in the Ballon d'Or spirit. I bet Mourinho and maybe other coaches wanted to choose other player (Sneijder maybe hinted by the fact Mourinho had said about it) but he could not because of that shortlisted choices. This is more frustrating that having to accept Lionel Messi as the recipient of this year Ballon d'Or. As for me, as it turned out like this, Ballon d'Or is not on my list of interest anymore of choosing the best player of the year. I would gladly choose other award. Tue 18 Jan 2011 20:02:25 GMT+1 Tommy http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=97#comment335 If Messi and Xavi are so good, how come in the champions league this year, they lost to inter 3-1 at san siro and they did not just lose they were out played. Then in the return match this super Messi could even get a shot on target? and when he eventually got a shot, julio Cesar made a miracle save to deniy him?I say Julio Cesar should win the golden boot award for stopping the best footballer in the world????Good, so if you win all the trophies possible but score a few hat-trick you get world football of the year.... please Tue 18 Jan 2011 17:27:18 GMT+1 Tommy http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=97#comment334 I think Sniedjer should have won the award, ha has won 5 trophy's and took Holland to the final scoring 5 goals! Wesley actually created 2 goals for Robben and of course we all know that he missed but if he had scored and holland had won... would Messi still have won this award?Anyhow, the system sucks not a surprise from a federation that it light away from reality. Tue 18 Jan 2011 17:19:02 GMT+1 JamesLincs http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=97#comment333 no doubt in my mind.. sneijder has had an exceptional year but messi has still been better Mon 17 Jan 2011 18:18:00 GMT+1 dammage http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=96#comment332 January 1st to december 31st 2010...messi was best player buy mile.even the people whom say he shouldny have won it, if you were picking a team on sunday league, and could have ONE player on team, everyone would choose messi>xavi>iniesta Sun 16 Jan 2011 11:43:18 GMT+1 kumlachew_asmare http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=96#comment331 I would say the award goes to the right person. I wonder why some people think a month-time world cup performance should influence the destination of the award which is meant for giving credits for a year-long performance.I can not deny that Xavi and Inesta are good players and had good year but this can never overshadow messi's magnificent performance in 2010. His Argentina squad is not full of excellent players; he did his best in WC. Do not forget that he is human and hence can not win alone against a team full of excellent players. Xavi and Inesta are helped by excellent players in Spain squad. One should not forget that it was Villa who almost single-handedly helped Spain in the knock out stages. Though Snieder was a treble winner and a WC finalist, the success of Inter Milan is attributed to the magnificent goal scoring abilities of the strikers (eto and milito)as well. Besides, Jose Mourinho's contribution took a lion share for the success of the Inter Milan.Some players had a good year just because the whole team had a good year. Messi had a good year because he was amazing regardless of his team mates.I am happy he made it. Viva Messi. U deserve it ! Sat 15 Jan 2011 21:36:59 GMT+1 physical_graffiti http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=96#comment330 Xavi or Iniesta?Pacino or De Niro? Sat 15 Jan 2011 16:09:15 GMT+1 doctormightyhotspur http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=95#comment329 Most of the people who think Messi should not have won it think it's because he had a bad world cup. It is quite frankly startling how often I hear this and I am at a loss to know why unless it's just that by not actually winning it you draw the conclusion he was useless. I, like many many others watched all Argentina's games and Messi was head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch in every game. Messi should have the ballon d'or by a far greater margin than he did. Sat 15 Jan 2011 14:05:51 GMT+1 hearyehearye http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=95#comment328 For all those extolling the merits of Sneijder: what has he done SINCE the world cup? Nothing, pretty much. As I remember, he had a good WC, but not a jaw-droppingly good one, certainly didn't do enough to make him best player in the world automatically. His performances for Inter were excellent until summer domestically and in the CL. But so were those of the three actual candidates, who also continued their excellent form until the end of the year.In sum, while it is not ridiculous to suggest Wesley as a candidate, it is rather ridiculous to pretend that his absence is actually unjust. I mean, what about C Ronaldo, whose scoring record was nearly equal to Messi's last season, and so far better this season, and is scoring hattricks for fun? There are about 5 or 6 worthy candidates, but only 3 places. To call that "unjust" is silly.And between the 3 real candidates, the best man won. If you asked Xavi or Iniesta who was the best player in the world, they would say Leo Messi (as they have indeed done). This award shouldn't be about headline-grabbing (Iniesta's winning goal) or a feeling that a consistently great player finally deserves recognition (Xavi). It is about a very simple question: who, over 12 months, has been the best player (with particular attention to the World Cup)? "Leo Messi" is certainly not a ridiculous answer to that question.So no, Phil, the wrong man did not win the Ballon d'Or. Sat 15 Jan 2011 09:24:35 GMT+1 jyonda http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=95#comment327 If anything this underlines the fact that football is a team game and that having the worlds best player doesn't guarantee success. For me, this actually makes the award more credible. Sat 15 Jan 2011 08:04:18 GMT+1 Spaced Invader http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=95#comment326 Messi was the correct choice - anyone who watched Barcelona in 2010 will know he was consistently their most dangerous and exceptional player.Playing 6 or 7 good games at the world cup should not decide anything (and anyhow, whilst Spain deserved to win the WC, their performances were hardly sparkling - an actually dominated by David Villa anyway!) Fri 14 Jan 2011 22:11:57 GMT+1 All_Rafa_s_starlets http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=94#comment325 Concerning the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments, I must say that, like a lot of other people, I was a bit surprised. But only at first. In hindsight, it seems to me like a very brave decision on FIFA's part to try and make football's family a truly global one by including parts of the world that have previously been left out. I hate what the Russians did to Peter Odemwingie and I am well aware of the fact that Qatar is not exactly a footballing powerhouse. But football's greatest tournament needed to go to eastern Europe and the Middle East. Much as I find the opacity of its workings unhelpful, I think FIFA is probably getting undeserved criticism about these decisions. Fri 14 Jan 2011 21:10:22 GMT+1 All_Rafa_s_starlets http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=94#comment324 I, too, thought Wesley Sneijder should have been in the three-man shortlist - perhaps alongside Xavi and Messi. But I always thought that the award should go to the man who played the most awesome football of 2010 and was the biggest asset to his team. That man was Lionel Messi, regardless of how poorly he did at the World Cup; by his standards, that is. Through no fault of his, I might add. Fri 14 Jan 2011 20:57:13 GMT+1 DrCajetanCoelho http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=94#comment323 Xavi, Iniesta, Wesley and Messi are all top class consistent performers. They all work very hard for their respective teams. Messi possesses a few more special dribbling techniques that make him far more dangerous to the rival defenders and a joy to watch for the spectators. The Ballon d'Or appears to have gone in the right direction. Congrats to the winner and all the very best to all our distinguished footballers in 2011.Dr. Cajetan Coelho Fri 14 Jan 2011 13:05:56 GMT+1 ryan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=93#comment322 @James, I know you're late in arrving at this thread but see point 143. Regarding you're point about Xavi and Iniesta assisting Messi, well Messi has more assists to his name than both of them. Messi is a better player for Barca than Argentina, but that is because of how Barca are able to play, because they have the likes of Xavi and Iniesta in their team, rather than the fact that he is constantly fed by them. For Argenitna, Messi was forced to drop deep to get any time on the ball, much the same as Ronaldo for Portugal. But look at their form for their respective clubs!Against Deportivo last week for example, Messi assisted the first and third and scored the second. He is more than a midfielder - whose job is to assist; He is more than a striker - whose job is to score goals. He does both, in abundance. For that reason, he deserves the award, regardless of his form for Argentina. Like you said yourself, Xavi and Iniesta have the luxury of Torres and Villa to score goals. During the World Cup, Messi was forced to carry the team. Don't forget, this is a team that almost failed to qualify for the World Cup in the first place, despite boasting the likes of Messi, Di Maria, Higuan, Arguero, Milito and even Veron (based on his form the previous season). Any other country in the world, even Spain, would love to have that kind of attacking threat (It's gotta be better than Crouch, Bent, Heskey, Carlton Cole, Zamora!!!), and yet they still failed. Why should that having any bearing on Messi's phenomenal year? @ NaaneI like your point about the distinction. Sums it up pefectly! Fri 14 Jan 2011 12:01:02 GMT+1 James http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=93#comment321 I live in Madrid (Spain) and I usually watch La Liga's matches quite regularly. Barca plays incredibly well, awesome passing, high creativity, a lot of pace and acceleration etc.But, in my opinnion, the great secret of Barca is the midfield (Xavi & Iniesta) with having the best world player at the moment (Messi). Xavi & Iniesta are entrusted of creating the good chances, opening the rival defences and making the precise assitences in each match, and Messi adds the quality. So, from my point of view, Messi would not be the world class player that he is without Xavi and Iniesta (i.e please, only watch how he plays with Argentina national team). However, Xavi and Iniesta with a top goalscorer (as Villa or Torres) can reach or be definitive (i.e please, only see the last world cup champions).To conclude, in my opinnion, the golden ball should have go to Xavi or Iniesta, not only because how they play or they are more definitive/useful for a team, but also because they were better in 2009 than Messi). Fri 14 Jan 2011 11:28:32 GMT+1 Naane http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=93#comment320 the other two yes have won the world cup, but looking at the contribution they made to all teams involved( barca, Spain and Agentina)individually who is outstanding of the three. Foget Spain winning the world cup and look at this athlets indivuddually, they all had a wonderful year but i do not blame Messi for underperfomance of Agentina, he has individually made outstanding moves to help barca be on top of the log as copared to the two. so why deny him the award just beacause Agentina did not win the world cup. he deserved the award. it does not mean others are not deserving it is only that even academically when you get 95% you have a distinction but the one who has 96% has beaten you. Fri 14 Jan 2011 09:22:07 GMT+1 matador http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=93#comment319 Everybody seems to be missing the point. If you accept that winning the world cup is the pinnacle of a footballers' career then every four years the fifa / balon d'or is a world cup winner.fifa since 1991 - 1994 romario, 1998 zizou, 2002 Ronaldo ( injured for most of the season ) 2006 Cannavaro. for the balon d or European players only back of the day -the only exception to this rule was cruyff in 74 just beating the kasier.82 rossi, 90 matthaus and it copies the fifa award. so if the precedent is set by having an injured ronaldo win it in 2002 and the captain of the worst world cup winning team in 2006 winning this award then surely it is reasonable to query what is the criteria for winning this award? like everything to do with fifa the goal posts keep moving Thu 13 Jan 2011 20:31:51 GMT+1 johnsonk http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=92#comment318 "I was sent by God to play football and score goal" Cristiano Ronaldo" I didn't send anyone!" Lionel Messi Thu 13 Jan 2011 19:07:38 GMT+1 pyaklich http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=92#comment317 Has anyone considered how embarrassing it would be not to give it to Messi? The man is averaging better than a goal per game this season and won the Golden Boot last season, were they really supposed to deny him based solely on his nationality? While Spaniards in general may feel aggrieved, I don't think there is a single Barcelona supporter that, if they had to choose, would sell Messi over either Iniesta or Xavi. By last year most of the world conceded that Messi is the greatest active player on earth, the small price of being lucky enough to see him play every week is that player awards will have to lack variety for a few years to come. Thu 13 Jan 2011 18:19:10 GMT+1 ryan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=92#comment316 316. At 3:24pm on 13 Jan 2011, fabulousRedsReds wrote:Lionel Messi deserves it over 74 goals in the year 2010.This is the prize for the best player in the year 2010 right? No-one else even came close to that figure of goals, even in the poorer leagues.Now onto Wesley Sneijder, for those moaning he should have won it because he won a treble with Inter? The award is for the year 2010 and in the year 2010 Wesley Sneijder has scored 1 Serie A goal, has been absolutely appalling since the World Cup final.If he was as good as Lionel Messi, he would have actually performed for at least 11/12 months of the year, but he didnt. He performed for 6 months. On the other hand Messi was still Argentina's best player at the World Cup despite not scoring._________________________________________________All the Sneijder fans, read that again! Many of those who think that Sneijder should have won it either don't watch him play, or don't watch Messi play, or don't watch either one of them play on a regular basis.Did the wrong man win? Silly question that does not befit being on a BBC blog. Messi? The wrong man? Are you seeking attention or know nothing about football? Poor blog, as usual.-------------------------------------------------------------------------The wrong man definitely didn;t win, but for all the people pointing out why Sneijder should have won, there are an equal number who are shouting down his achievements up to and including the World Cup. If the final few months of the regular season - i.e. the latter stages of the UCL and domestic leagues - and the world cup did not have an overall bearing on nominations, then how on earth was Asamoah Gyan end up on the final list. Like I have said in a previous post - if Gyan was there, where was Robert Vittek?By no means should any of this detract from the fact that Messi was the best player in the world throughout the past 12 calendar months and a deserving winner, but if we are going to talk about Sneijder's form of late, it's only fair that the whole list of nomimees is scrutinised in the same way, including FIFA's reasons for selection. Thu 13 Jan 2011 15:40:12 GMT+1 A wet windy night in Stoke http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=91#comment315 Lionel Messi deserves it over 74 goals in the year 2010.This is the prize for the best player in the year 2010 right? No-one else even came close to that figure of goals, even in the poorer leagues.Now onto Wesley Sneijder, for those moaning he should have won it because he won a treble with Inter? The award is for the year 2010 and in the year 2010 Wesley Sneijder has scored 1 Serie A goal, has been absolutely appalling since the World Cup final.If he was as good as Lionel Messi, he would have actually performed for at least 11/12 months of the year, but he didnt. He performed for 6 months. On the other hand Messi was still Argentina's best player at the World Cup despite not scoring._________________________________________________All the Sneijder fans, read that again! Many of those who think that Sneijder should have won it either don't watch him play, or don't watch Messi play, or don't watch either one of them play on a regular basis.Did the wrong man win? Silly question that does not befit being on a BBC blog. Messi? The wrong man? Are you seeking attention or know nothing about football? Poor blog, as usual. Thu 13 Jan 2011 15:24:34 GMT+1 ryan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=91#comment314 @ mrsouthamericaApologies, I thought you said WCQF not semi final. My mistake, and I agree with you on that point. Spain were lucky not to lose to Paraguay in the QF. Thu 13 Jan 2011 14:55:15 GMT+1 ryan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=91#comment313 305. At 12:35pm on 13 Jan 2011, mrsouthamerica wrote:"On the actual subject of the Ballon dor, i cant see an issue with the result. Having watched all 7 world cup games of Spain and not just joined the party at the semi or final, i can't honestly say Spain & Xavi or Iniesta were dazzling throughout. The truth is Spain were dull until the semi when the inclusion of Pedro sparked them into life and their best performance, until this point it had been David Villa alone who had dragged a subdued Spanish through. Iniesta sparkled in the final and scored but he missed or only part played many of the early games due to injury" For someone who claims to have watched all 7 games, I can;t understand why you seem to think that Iniesta missed or part played 'many of the early games'. He was replaced in the final ten minutes of the opening game, because of a fear that he had a reccurence of his injury. As a result, he was rested against Honduras, because Spain had more than enough to win that game without him. Apart from that, he played every minute of the tournament. And Spain's best performance was against Germany. They were lucky not to lose to Paraguay!!!"Sneijder- again how many calls for this player are based purely on Inters match against Chelsea! The truth of Inter's success does not rest with Wesley Sneijder but a collective of Milito, Cambiasso, Zanetti, Lucio, Eto'o etc all of which had an equal shout as their ballon dor candidate. An unsuccessful world cup final could have little impact in tipping the balance on a player whose individual club merits had been over hyped"Inter's away match against Chelsea, Inter's first leg SF against Barca, The UCL final, UEFA midfielder of the year, almost every game in the world cup was MOTM. Joint top scorer, player of the tournament nomination. Plus, this season he was the reason Inter were 4-0 up at half time against Spurs. Everyone talks about Bale, but he was the real star when the match still mattered. Bale took full advantage of Inter's laxidaisical second half - thinking the game was won. Before that, Sneijder pulled Spurs all over the place. I'd said it's because of a little bit more than the game against Chelsea Thu 13 Jan 2011 14:51:36 GMT+1 licecapades http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=90#comment312 Genesisred, it seems you're the typical armchair fan"because he didnt get the passes from the midfield". Thats right, he dropped deep into his own half just to get on the ball, so in essence, he couldnt impact the game because his team and the set up wasnt good enough. Wow, no kidding eh, if he plays in a mediocre side against a well organized side he cant win the game.Great insight there, you're obviously Jose Mourinho Mark II with that kind of analysis.But yeh, because he didnt score or assists against germany or Inter milan he shouldnt have won it. He only stuffs rubbish teams like betis, he hasnt stuffed, Madrid, Arsenal, Man Utd etc. I think its time for you to log off mate. You've been on redcafe too much with the other Utd fans who cannot view anything barcelona related objectively because its too painful for them to accept that they're out in front Thu 13 Jan 2011 14:49:01 GMT+1 GenesisRed http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=90#comment311 @licecapades Thanks for finally (if accidentally) getting the point by the end of it.Yes, you cannot compare such players to each other.As far as in and out and sometimes absent, you obviously only watch Messi on the highlight reel or through rose tinted glasses. The example I gave was vs Germany where he barely had a touch, much less show the world how great he is. Why? Because he didn't get the passes from midfield that he is used to from Xavi. You pointed out another where, when against a well drilled team where he doesn't have the space to dazzle, he disappears in a puff of smoke. Being able to stuff a rubbish team means what...? Betis are a poor team, so beating them means nothing. Don't get me wrong, he can turn it on and do the "impossible", but he's not a demi-god, the way you and others carry on. As I say, is the award for the highest peaks or the most overall contribution to title winning teams? He wins on the highest peaks, but wouldn't on the latter.Also, thanks licecapades for proving my point that the armchair fans like you and FIFA only notice the obvious, and miss the equally valuable quiet contributions that build the platform for others. Thu 13 Jan 2011 14:38:21 GMT+1 licecapades http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=90#comment310 haha. Genesisred, thats a laughable assessment of things.Messi 'in and out' and sometimes absent. Xavi great in every game you watched? give me a break. By absent you're probably talking about Inter, a game Xavi was notoriously absent in too, most of them were because of Mourinho's 11 man defence.For some reason you've also bizarrely brought Torres into the argument, i have no clue why. He can score goals they can only dream off? errrr, yeh? It works both ways, Torres could only dream of scoring a goal like Messi's vs Getafe, or Ronaldos vs Porto Thu 13 Jan 2011 14:00:34 GMT+1 JUSTICE GYAN http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=90#comment309 I SCREAMED WHEN I READ MESSI WAS AWARDED THE PRIZE. HOW COULD FIFA GIVE SUCH AN AWARD TO A PLAYER WHO DID NOT WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AND ALSO THE WORLD CUP? WE NEED TO INVESTIGATE HOW DOES THINGS THESE DAYS. I REMEMBER JUST A FEW WEEKS AGO, THEY ALSO SURPRISING DECIDED TO AWARD THE STAGING OF THE WORD CUP TO RUSSIA INSTEAD OF ENGLAND. WE NEED A CHANGE AT FIFA. Thu 13 Jan 2011 13:58:04 GMT+1 LeoMessiah http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=89#comment308 62 goals in all competitions during 2010, and if you actually watch every game Messi plays, you'll get to see some outstanding, dazzling performances (vs Zaragoza, Valencia, Arsenal) noone else can pull.So far this league season, 18 games with 18 goals and 13 assists. Last night, after offering the trophy to Barca's fans, hat-trick vs Betis. Makes you wonder if he's any good, doesn't it?Messi has won by a mile according to coaches' votes, and by another mile according to player's votes. So where do those doubts come from?The big forgotten player yesterday was Forlan, who wasn't even included in the best XI, when Villa hadn't won anything in his last season with Valencia, but Forlan took Europa League and Euro Supercup, scoring as many goals as Villa in the WC, and being the WC's MVP. Thu 13 Jan 2011 13:52:23 GMT+1 Vladimir http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=89#comment307 Wrong man! The little guy is a genius. I think we put the critics to shame last night with a hat trick against Betis in the Copa Del Ray!The award if for the best player in the world for the previous year/ season. Messi was amazing and has been the world’s greatest player for the past two years. This year its Messi vs Renaldo!If the award was called “Services to football” then Xavi should have won it.Yes he didn’t have an amazing World Cup campaign because Argentina were awful but the best player is awarded the ward for being best when his team did play! Messi! Viva Barca! Thu 13 Jan 2011 13:45:50 GMT+1 Vladimir http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=89#comment306 This post has been Removed Thu 13 Jan 2011 13:42:51 GMT+1 GenesisRed http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=88#comment305 "Miso Brecko shut out Rooney for the entire England v Slovenia game, remember? Rooney was supposed to be one of the best wasn't he. Brecko should get it, had a fantastic season."Do we need to remind you about how Messi fared in the World Cup against Germany? Shut out of the game entirely by Schweinsteiger. So, your point was...?Any player can be marked out of the game. ANY player. Christ, Phil Neville showed that against Vieira... The sad fact for England was that Rooney was the only player worth marking. Thu 13 Jan 2011 12:38:19 GMT+1 mrsouthamerica http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=88#comment304 #300 thanks! On the actual subject of the Ballon dor, i cant see an issue with the result. Having watched all 7 world cup games of Spain and not just joined the party at the semi or final, i can't honestly say Spain & Xavi or Iniesta were dazzling throughout. The truth is Spain were dull until the semi when the inclusion of Pedro sparked them into life and their best performance, until this point it had been David Villa alone who had dragged a subdued Spanish through. Iniesta sparkled in the final and scored but he missed or only part played many of the early games due to injury. Injury and poor form had blighted his season too, missing both the beginning and end of the 09/10 season through injury and finding himself occassionally dropped during the periods when he was fit due to poor form. Hardly a candidate for the Best player of the SEASON, unless of course you only tuned into to Spain/Germany, Spain/ Holland.Xavi had less than a steller domestic season with his form and fitness not hitting the dizzy heights of the previous yr but still a class act and had sentiment ruled (Giggs anyone) the ballon dor would be his.Sneijder- again how many calls for this player are based purely on Inters match against Chelsea! The truth of Inter's success does not rest with Wesley Sneijder but a collective of Milito, Cambiasso, Zanetti, Lucio, Eto'o etc all of which had an equal shout as their ballon dor candidate. An unsuccessful world cup final could have little impact in tipping the balance on a player whose individual club merits had been over hyped.So in the end there could only be one, the one who carried Barcelona, the goals of Eto'o had gone, likewise Henry, Iniesta & Xavi had dried up infront of goal, one player provided more assists than the others, scored more goals than anyone, more hattricks, in fact for me there was a 2 week period around March time when Xavi and Iniesta were both missing physically and ibra well was just missing, that the world took note that Messi was simply on another level. The 2 back to back hattricks, in particular the Zaragoza game showed that there is Messi then the rest. Some mainly from these shores will point to the world cup, but they forget that after the first 4 games of the tournament he was the only star deemed to have turned up! Hardly fair to use the inept tactics and selection of his coach in the match against Germany to use as a stick to beat Messi with!In the end the Ballon dor is for the best player in the world which is Messi, it would of only been another Ronaldinho speach ('im not even the best at Barcelona') if Xavi or Iniesta would of won it ahead of him. Thu 13 Jan 2011 12:35:38 GMT+1 ryan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=88#comment303 302. At 12:16pm on 13 Jan 2011, Ben Mayer wrote:268. At 4:16pm on 12 Jan 2011, Komoria-United wrote:Messi deserved the ballon d'or, what i don't understand is that Fifa's recognition on English football, as that is the best league in the world. So i was supprised that i didn't any English footballer on the short list. Fifa need to wake up.-------------------------------------------------------------------Who exactly? Stop with this mindless arrogance from the EPL. Which English player would have deserved the award, or for a matter of fact, who would have deserved it from the EPL would have deserved it against Xavi, Iniesta, Snjeider or hmmm....let's think....there was one left....can't quite get the name.....oh yeah: Messi.Having said that, i do have to say that Cattermole had a fantastic season. And NO Bale does not deserve the award before you ask. "But he tormented the best right back in the world"Miso Brecko shut out Rooney for the entire England v Slovenia game, remember? Rooney was supposed to be one of the best wasn't he. Brecko should get it, had a fantastic season.Just start accepting that there is a world outside the EPL, once you do that, it's not so hard to appreciate other football.Last night's hat-trick against Betis was another piece of evidence that he is the best player and did deserve the award. All the goals summed it up. A cheecky chip, cool in front of goal, and determination not give up and the ability to somehow score from every situation.He deserved just as much as the others did, the award goes to Barcelona tough-------------------------------------------------------------------------And to further your point, the original poster said "what i don't understand is that Fifa's recognition on English football, as that is the BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD"Unless I speak a different variety of English to this guy, I understand that to mean that some of the best players in world play in the Premier League. The quote didn't mention anything about them being English. I'm pretty sure Drogba was on the original list!! oh and Bale isn't English anyway :) Thu 13 Jan 2011 12:27:09 GMT+1 GenesisRed http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=88#comment302 Sorry, but the comments about Ronaldo vs Messi are laughable.It's always a fool's game to compare two different kinds of players and try and decide who is better.Messi fits into a system at Barcelona, and is the main man for Argentina (the side virtually built around him).Ronaldo can be too selfish a player but has more pace and strength, beats players in a different way, takes different kinds of shots. At United, I always wished they'd play Ronaldo with Rooney just behind him, because when they linked up it was phenominal. Messi and Ronaldo could link up because they play different roles.That Messi has been more successful in head to heads (the Messi proponents casually ignoring how many times he has been completely anonymous when his supply has been cut) means nothing. He has a decent team structured around him, and he is a more link up player. Is he better than Torres? Not as a striker no. In fact, Torres and Ronaldo are more similar, Ronaldo a more tricksy deeper-playing version in many respects. Torres can score goals Messi and Ronaldo can only dream of, because he's a true Brazilian-Ronaldo style predator. Basically, such comparisons are stupid. World top players are exceptional and can only be mimicked, not copied or compared. Is Zidane like Kaka? No, because they play a different if similar game.The question is only who was the best player in the year last year. Iniesta was overrated, Messi in and out - sometimes exceptional and beyond any other, but many other times completely absent - while Xavi was top class in every game of his I saw. So is it the peaks that count or the overall contribution. Surely it must be the latter... Thu 13 Jan 2011 12:22:53 GMT+1 Ben Mayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=87#comment301 268. At 4:16pm on 12 Jan 2011, Komoria-United wrote:Messi deserved the ballon d'or, what i don't understand is that Fifa's recognition on English football, as that is the best league in the world. So i was supprised that i didn't any English footballer on the short list. Fifa need to wake up.-------------------------------------------------------------------Who exactly? Stop with this mindless arrogance from the EPL. Which English player would have deserved the award, or for a matter of fact, who would have deserved it from the EPL would have deserved it against Xavi, Iniesta, Snjeider or hmmm....let's think....there was one left....can't quite get the name.....oh yeah: Messi.Having said that, i do have to say that Cattermole had a fantastic season. And NO Bale does not deserve the award before you ask. "But he tormented the best right back in the world"Miso Brecko shut out Rooney for the entire England v Slovenia game, remember? Rooney was supposed to be one of the best wasn't he. Brecko should get it, had a fantastic season.Just start accepting that there is a world outside the EPL, once you do that, it's not so hard to appreciate other football.Last night's hat-trick against Betis was another piece of evidence that he is the best player and did deserve the award. All the goals summed it up. A cheecky chip, cool in front of goal, and determination not give up and the ability to somehow score from every situation.He deserved just as much as the others did, the award goes to Barcelona tough Thu 13 Jan 2011 12:16:23 GMT+1 ryan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=87#comment300 299. At 11:30am on 13 Jan 2011, mrsouthamerica wrote:The latest attack upon La liga is that its a 2 horse race, hasnt the EPL been that for the last 10 yrs!? In the last decade there have been 5 different winners of La Liga but only 3 different winners of the Prem so which is factually proven the more predictable! In the last 5 yrs of the CL, 2 winners have been from Spain and two from Italy but only one from England and in the last 5 yrs of international competition - the world champions have been Italy & Spain and the Euro Champions have been Spain. Its amazing how when you compare facts against hype how far a drift they proove to be!-------------------------------------------------------------------------If you are talking about the last ten seasons, then 3 teams have won La Liga - Valencia, Barcelona and Real. In the same time period, 3 teams have also won the Premier League - Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd. The reason so many believe La Liga to be such a two horse race is because of the the gulf that now exists between the top and everyone else. Last season Real Madrid were 25 points above third place, scored over 100 goals and still didn't win. Barcelona were one short of 100 points - where else would that happen in a competitive 20 team league?? In the Premier League, 2nd to 8th were separated by the same points margin as 2nd and 3rd in La Liga. Two horse race?? What do the facts tell you?? In no way am I endorsing the Premier league and the hype that surrounds it, but there is no denying that the Spanish league is only gonna be between two teams for some time, especially taking into consideration the financial problems some of the other 18 teams face. Next you'll be telling me that the Scottish League is open!!! Thu 13 Jan 2011 12:00:10 GMT+1 licecapades http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=87#comment299 At 11:30am on 13 Jan 2011, mrsouthamerica wrote:Everytime a Messi article is written there are these absurd comments such as 'the dark arts of mourinho' or 'Master tacticians Hiddink and Mourinho that undid Barcelona'. 242,86,85,47 and im sure there's a few more who arrive at this false illusion! Question, where were the dark arts of mourinho when he was recently humbled 5-0? Or the 2 defeats his Inter side suffered against Barcelona in the CL last season. His only victory was on the back of the 'Coach trip' week, unless you include amongst his 'dark arts' the ability to control volcano's!? Hiddinks masterplan of camping in your own half and hoping to sneak one with a 4-500 million pound team was testiment to how inferior he knew his side were. It was a smart move that had one flaw- barcelona will always get one good chance and they did! Chelsea fans will continue to cry but if their players had concentrated on exploiting barca's 10 men than time wasting (drogba anyone!) there wouldnt have been any 94th minute.The second joke is the constant hype of Ronaldo, how many times has this guy gone head to head with Messi and looked inferior? Answer? every single game they've been opposed! Even the 2 semi finals when utd won Messi took both man of the match awards (proof that the best player doesnt necessarily have to represent the successfull team). To even bring Ronaldo into a disussion with Messi you should sign up to the Andy Grxy school of 'hot air', Messi struggle in the Prem? difficult against the likes of stoke? OH PLEASE! It's the blind leading the blind in bubble wrapped world of the EPL. The latest attack upon La liga is that its a 2 horse race, hasnt the EPL been that for the last 10 yrs!? In the last decade there have been 5 different winners of La Liga but only 3 different winners of the Prem so which is factually proven the more predictable! In the last 5 yrs of the CL, 2 winners have been from Spain and two from Italy but only one from England and in the last 5 yrs of international competition - the world champions have been Italy & Spain and the Euro Champions have been Spain. Its amazing how when you compare facts against hype how far a drift they proove to be!------------------------------------------------------------well said actually.Im sure its blind arrogance that radiates from england that stops folk from voting for them when it comes to hosting world cups too :D Thu 13 Jan 2011 11:41:36 GMT+1 mrsouthamerica http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=86#comment298 Everytime a Messi article is written there are these absurd comments such as 'the dark arts of mourinho' or 'Master tacticians Hiddink and Mourinho that undid Barcelona'. 242,86,85,47 and im sure there's a few more who arrive at this false illusion! Question, where were the dark arts of mourinho when he was recently humbled 5-0? Or the 2 defeats his Inter side suffered against Barcelona in the CL last season. His only victory was on the back of the 'Coach trip' week, unless you include amongst his 'dark arts' the ability to control volcano's!? Hiddinks masterplan of camping in your own half and hoping to sneak one with a 4-500 million pound team was testiment to how inferior he knew his side were. It was a smart move that had one flaw- barcelona will always get one good chance and they did! Chelsea fans will continue to cry but if their players had concentrated on exploiting barca's 10 men than time wasting (drogba anyone!) there wouldnt have been any 94th minute.The second joke is the constant hype of Ronaldo, how many times has this guy gone head to head with Messi and looked inferior? Answer? every single game they've been opposed! Even the 2 semi finals when utd won Messi took both man of the match awards (proof that the best player doesnt necessarily have to represent the successfull team). To even bring Ronaldo into a disussion with Messi you should sign up to the Andy Grxy school of 'hot air', Messi struggle in the Prem? difficult against the likes of stoke? OH PLEASE! It's the blind leading the blind in bubble wrapped world of the EPL. The latest attack upon La liga is that its a 2 horse race, hasnt the EPL been that for the last 10 yrs!? In the last decade there have been 5 different winners of La Liga but only 3 different winners of the Prem so which is factually proven the more predictable! In the last 5 yrs of the CL, 2 winners have been from Spain and two from Italy but only one from England and in the last 5 yrs of international competition - the world champions have been Italy & Spain and the Euro Champions have been Spain. Its amazing how when you compare facts against hype how far a drift they proove to be! Thu 13 Jan 2011 11:30:11 GMT+1 yakobo http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=86#comment297 I think the whole process was driven by excitement rather than logic and factual reasoning. Some one wins all domestic trophies, champions league and plays in world cup final and they are not even mentioned in the final three???Come on this is politics Thu 13 Jan 2011 11:03:05 GMT+1 GenesisRed http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=86#comment296 @rikkirokkit, Iniesta went down "a couple of times easy"? He dives and pulls faces with the best (worst) of them, but rarely if ever gets punished for his playacting. Maybe that makes him better at it. As for Xavi not being a match winner, without his passes and possession skills, the space and passes wouldn't exist for Iniesta and Messi to dazzle. I guess it comes down to the glamour players vs the fundamentally important ones. Scholes is a good example of a similar player to Xavi. Neither really had the praise they deserve, but were wanted by every manager. At their prime both were critical to the team, pulling the opposition around and opening the opposition defence. But its usually the scorer who get's the most praise, because their input is more obvious.It will always be a Messi or Ronaldo getting the prize, because it's goals and dribbling that is remembered, not wonder passes. Thu 13 Jan 2011 09:51:42 GMT+1 cristiano http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=86#comment295 as well i'm concerned, cristiano ronaldo is the best one among all players..... but it does not mean to regret someone... FIFA is performing it's duty just fantastit and the right one has deserve the right award for himself... It was the result of Messi's performances throughout the year which made him the best enough to earned that prestigious award Ballon Dor... Thu 13 Jan 2011 07:16:32 GMT+1 cristiano http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=85#comment294 it's just a nature of people specially from those who are spanish.........they want their players to be on the top ..... as a fact it's just a matter that messi is not spanish... if he would be a spanish, he will surely be appreciated rather then discouraging... Thu 13 Jan 2011 07:10:43 GMT+1 A wet windy night in Stoke http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=85#comment293 293. At 05:30am on 13 Jan 2011, palmblue wrote:only one name come to mind: Ronaldo________________________________________The real Ronaldo? Not sure he was up there last year. 13 years ago he was sensational.. Thu 13 Jan 2011 05:53:27 GMT+1 palmblue http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=85#comment292 only one name come to mind: Ronaldo Thu 13 Jan 2011 05:30:17 GMT+1 croatandabout http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=84#comment291 Just been and watched a masterclass from all three again against Betis. Messi scored a hat trick Xavi passed perfectly for 90 minutes and Iniesta delivered final balls that were at times breathtaking! To say the wrong man won the Ballon is mis-guided it just so happen that for the past 12 months all three have consistently put in performances that most footballers can only dream of! Forza Barca! Thu 13 Jan 2011 01:11:21 GMT+1 BobbyMagic http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=84#comment290 All I say is, if the manager of the club you love had the opportunity to sign any player in the world who would you want it to be? I am very sure most of you would pick a certain Argentine lad. Thu 13 Jan 2011 00:46:31 GMT+1 licecapades http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=84#comment289 Luis Figo summed it up“This is an individual trophy and Messi is the best. He won despite the fact that both Xavi and Iniesta had done very well this year.“I am not surprised that they elected Messi. I think that Xavi and Iniesta have deserved to win, but Messi is a player who is above everyone.” Thu 13 Jan 2011 00:05:02 GMT+1 rightback http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=83#comment288 As much as I love Messi, I'm a bit disappointed that Xavi didn't win. Everything goes through Xavi on Barca and Spain...neither team is nearly as effective without him. That said, one of the things that sets Messi apart from the likes of Ronaldo or Sneijder is he at a par with Xavi in his vision and teamwork. Wed 12 Jan 2011 22:23:27 GMT+1 albert http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=83#comment287 it did not surprize me, there is a biased effort locate maradona's sucsesor and am sure had he scored one goal in the world cup he would have gotten the legasy crown as an example the year ronaldo won his balon d'or in wich there was no dought who should take the honors after being the highest scorer in the champions the premier ect messi still got more than 300 votes!!! Wed 12 Jan 2011 22:15:15 GMT+1 Mourinho is God http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=83#comment286 I can't say I'm terribly surprised Messi won it. Once again Messi has been in sensational form for Barcelona this season and while he may not have won the World Cup or the Champions League this year, you cannot ignore his performances. I agree that it was a bit boring to see him pick it up again, but results are results. I also feel a bit disappointed for Iniesta and Xavi because they too have played some incredible football in the past couple of years for club and country, but at the same time I couldn't possibly decide between the two as it would be slightly unfair to the other. I also can't help but think though, if you split Xavi and Iniesta up and put them in two different clubs, would they still be on the list of contenders for the award? Think about it. Almost their whole reason for being on the contenders list is thanks to the other. Their bond and style of play is what has gotten them there. No doubt they would still be top-notch footballers if they were split up, but would they be as good as they are when they play together? Would they still have played just as well together for their country in the 2010 World Cup if they played for different clubs? They can't both win the award for best footballer and it would have been unfair to the other any how (in my opinion). Maybe that's partly the reason Messi won it again, maybe not.Either way, I too was a little disappointed Sneijder wasn't even considered for the award, but I guess results are what count. Wed 12 Jan 2011 19:10:39 GMT+1 A wet windy night in Stoke http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=83#comment285 Sneijder should not have been in the top three. No way. If the award was for a player who quietly does his part for the team and makes no mistakes then the Inter back 4, golie, Et'o and Milito should all get the award.Back to the Barcelona trio. Xavi is the weakest candidate of the three. Xavi is exceptional at keeping the ball. He turns away from challenges as if the opponents do not want the ball. This is an incredible skill to possess, however, it does not win you matches. Then we are left with Iniesta and Messi. Both of them specialise in the most difficult and risky part of their team's play - transitioning from keeping the ball to making a goal scoring oppotunity. This phase is requires more creativity, skill and quickness ot thought than keeping the ball. Messi does it better than Iniesta 7 out of 10 times. Then there is the most important part of the game for any team - score goals (more than your opponents score against you in any case). Messi did this 47 times last season. I don't remember how many Iniesta had but I remember deep into the season he had 1 goal. The winner therefore can only be one Messi. Wed 12 Jan 2011 18:59:45 GMT+1 RedWhiteandermblue http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=82#comment284 No question I would have given it to Sneijder, with Xavi second, just ahead of Forlan. But I think I have different criteria than the judges. I wouldn't argue that Messi is right now the best player in the world. But to me the award should go to the player who accomplished the most. So Sneijder should get it for being the player that led his teams to the Champion's Cup and the World Cup final. Neither one of those teams were very special wihout him. Xavi for being the best player on the World Cup winner would just edge Forlan, for his European cup success and for getting his team into the World Cup semifinal. Wed 12 Jan 2011 18:54:40 GMT+1 nangesta http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=82#comment283 Not really bothered to be honest who won as the best player in world/European football award has been comical for a while now since Thierry Henry never won. Losing out twice, once to zidane & the other to ronaldinho. Not just being an annoyed arsenal fan but how did the two mentioned players beat him on those years when both times I think you will find Henry was leading scorer (England & Europe?), leading assister (England), numerous league/cup winner (club/country) etc etc should I go on any further. Both zidane & ronaldinho those years won nothing with their clubs etc etc so they just won based on popularity their name & skills/tricks which Henry had in abundance aswell. So you tell me what more a player like Henry had to do & you moan about this year. Why wasn't a blog/review written about that Very laughable I must say. Wed 12 Jan 2011 18:41:02 GMT+1 gooner8 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=82#comment282 it is really difficult to decide who should have won this award, seeing as barcelona wer knocked out in the semi final of the champions league and argentina only reached the quarter final of the world cup, however messi has still had a great season, it is difficult to decide who shud win, the wons who maintain possession and provide messi with the ball or messi who is the vital goalscorer and gamewinner who is impossible to dispossess, i think that taking it into account either iniesta or xavi shud hav won it, out of those two iniesta probably wud hav got my vote, however xavi may hav just won it becos of his age and the fact that he wil not get many more opportunitis whereas iniesta is young in comparison, iniesta has been a revelation tho and the two link up brilliantlybut messi probably won on the merits of his previous seasons and it wasnt exactly the biggest mistake made in an individual honour unlike ryan giggs' pfa player of the league award in 2009 only because he was old and and he scored like one goal all season that still annoys me Wed 12 Jan 2011 18:24:04 GMT+1 Martin Davis http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=81#comment281 In a way its almost a pointless debate -they are all superb and highly influential footballers who would grace any team in any era. Any of the three would have been a deserving winner, as the closeness of the vote demonstrates. For Barca to have all 3...well!However, put the question another way;not who had the best season?or, who had the best World Cup? Instead ask which of them is a potential football great, fit to rank with Pele, Best, Cruyff Maradona etc, as against (simply) a very, very fine player. Then, surely there can only be one answer, Messi Wed 12 Jan 2011 18:04:50 GMT+1 reddevils78 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=81#comment280 Sneijder should have been the winner thru and thru. I thought, Ronaldo won it the first time, Messi the second because they won their teams the treble. And so did Sneijder. He was brilliant this year. He also sent his team to the World Cup finals. What else could one ask more?Certainly, if the award were to go to an eye-pleaser as Fifa seem to have gone here then let Messi take it. But effectiveness also surely counts for something. Wed 12 Jan 2011 18:01:21 GMT+1 jem http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=81#comment279 for playing in the dutch team and under mourinho, sneijder should get the ballon noir. "it's not cheating if the referee doesn't see it"? mourinho could have played the lump in the microwave at the end of time bandits. Wed 12 Jan 2011 17:49:50 GMT+1 ryan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=81#comment278 275. At 5:28pm on 12 Jan 2011, rikkirokkit wrote:Sneijder is no way near as good as the shortlisted players. He has nevered excited with skill or dominated the semi of Cl or final of WC. He had few touches against Spain or Barca. Tactics, the ref decisons and ash clouds got Inter past barca not Sneijder. Mourinhos got his award for his dark arts. Outside of that the best 3 in world were rightly aclaimed. Its an honour to Barca-------------------------------------------------------------------------Sneijder scored the first and assisted the third in the UCL semi final first leg against Barca. He also produced the pass of the final, which should have allowed Robben to put the game beyond Spain. Apart from that, he had very few touches!!!How does the old saying go 'quality not quantity'? As for dominating the WC final. If anyone should claim the award for the most incisive player, then Fabregas should stand head and shoulders above anyone, despite only making a subsitute appearance. He was simply awesome when he came on!! Wed 12 Jan 2011 17:47:08 GMT+1 jem http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=80#comment277 performances in the world cup shouldn't count for anything. international football is rubbish.if I had to choose one player out of ronaldo and messi, I would take ronaldo. messi seems like a nice little guy and is making the most of his talent; ronaldo is greedy (on the ball), moody and distracted and should be more effective than he is. under me, ronaldo would be the better player. :0)(incidentally, in games against united, messi has been largely ineffective, beating men but without using possession wisely. iniesta and xavi generally have united chasing around, though. the only effective thing messi did was get between ferdinand and vidic (as the only man in the area) to score a header in the final - I'd put that down to shocking defending. in the semis the previous year, he wasn't a factor. also, his hair is pretty terrible. Wed 12 Jan 2011 17:45:42 GMT+1 Chaddyroar http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=80#comment276 I personally would have gone for Iniesta or Sneijder.Sneijder is the creative and tactical lynchpin of an Inter side that won the treble, he also reached the WC final with Holland.Iniesta has been superb for a long time. Last year he gave object lessons in how to keep the ball and create space across all tournaments, simply untouchable in some games, he also seems to be a consumate pro and scored the goal than won the WC. He's gotta be asking what else you have to do (except perhaps win Champs League in the year).As it seems the WC had so much bearing on some placings on the list, it's perhaps a shame for players such as Forlan and Ozil that Barcelona/Spain and Inter/Holland had such unbelievable years. Most years their performance may merit a top 3 finishHopefully English based players will do better next year. Who is likely to feature from EPL? Right now I believe Van de Vaart may be the most influential player in the league, but he will be overlooked unless Spurs get to Champs League final. If United win the League and get to the Champs League latter stages you might find Giggs or Scholes get a high finish on the 'lifetime' basis, but it's hard to see a winner that doesn't play for Barcelone right now. Wed 12 Jan 2011 17:39:08 GMT+1 Tricefc http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=80#comment275 Messi is a great player but suresly one of the Spaniards should have won it! As a few people have mentioned, whilst Iniesta and Xavi are playing together neither will win the World Player of the year...the likes of Messi or Ronaldo will always pick it up!Votes are split between the two as they are so hard to seperate! We never think of one alone it is always Xavi and Iniesta. If their votes were combined(as their performance on the pitch is) or if only one of the two went up for the award they would comfortably win.....http://upper90magazine.wordpress.com/ Wed 12 Jan 2011 17:34:59 GMT+1 rikkirokkit http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=79#comment274 Sneijder is no way near as good as the shortlisted players. He has nevered excited with skill or dominated the semi of Cl or final of WC. He had few touches against Spain or Barca. Tactics, the ref decisons and ash clouds got Inter past barca not Sneijder. Mourinhos got his award for his dark arts. Outside of that the best 3 in world were rightly aclaimed. Its an honour to Barca Wed 12 Jan 2011 17:28:01 GMT+1 rikkirokkit http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=79#comment273 GeneseisRED. Iniesta did go down easy a couple of times in the second half. 2 things though. He´s only a wee fella and the Dutch played like thugs. The ref let them get away with urder and went unpunished time and time again so all was fair in that cauldron of bad decisions and negative violent play by the Dutch Wed 12 Jan 2011 17:25:20 GMT+1 GenesisRed http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=79#comment272 So bored of hearing about how great Barcelona are. Even more bored about hearing out great Messi is. Yes, he's a hugely talented player, capable (as many players are) of winning the game out of nothing. Ronaldo and Torres are two other classy examples, although they haven't lived up to the standards so much this last year. But more than anything, i'm hugely bored of all the superlatives thrown Iniesta's way. He's a great player, playing at a fabulous level for many years. But he's also not averse to some bambi-on-ice behaviour, as shown repeatedly AT the World Cup. Having watched Ronaldo be hacked to the ground repeatedly over years, and then other times watch him fall with a gust of wind, i'm perfectly familiar with seeing both happen to flair players. But in the World Cup final, he spent half the time diving to try and create an opportunity. It would just be nice to see a quality player win it who doesn't feel the need to dive more often than he's fouled.So on that basis, it would have been far better to see Xavi - the TRUE linchpin of Barcelona rather than Inesta of Messi who add the gold leaf to his master pieces - holding the award. Wed 12 Jan 2011 17:05:56 GMT+1 Portugal_R_Live http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=79#comment271 Messi is amazing and he is the best along with Cristiano Ronaldo. But in a world cup year I though one of the spanish players would win it. To me sneider has had great season winning the treble and a great world cup also being joint top goal scorer and leading his country to a world cup final. I think personaly also Robben had a amazing year and he was desive throughout the season. Wed 12 Jan 2011 16:44:27 GMT+1 red-devilhomerjay - save 606 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=78#comment270 Literally anyone of the final three would have been worthy winners...for people to say Messi isn't a worthy winner is laughable, fickle media and fans with short memories i genuinely can't recall more than 4/5 games where Messi hasnt been devastating scoring and assiting goals at will. This is not to deflect from what Xavi and Ineista achieved over the year including their WC win, but this alone should not be the defining factor in awards such as this.As i said previously though either of the three would have been worthy winners. Wed 12 Jan 2011 16:40:12 GMT+1 brian http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=78#comment269 I don't know why people and even you Phil keeps saying Sneijder deserves to be in top 3 !! I am not saying he was not good,he deserved to be in top 5,thats it for me !! They said inter treble was because of him.I disagree..50 % of inter treble goes to Jose Mourinho,25 % goes to their defence and maybe 10 % was from Sneijder..How did inter knock out Barca in Semifial UCl ? Was it Sneijder ? NO..It was Mourinho's defensive tactics that cought Barca off-guard !! Messi, Xavi and Iniesta all deserve to be in top 3 and deserve to win the title !! Unfortunately for Xavi and Iniesta and spain it went to Messi who in my opinion deserved the title .Some said he had a bad world cup.Yes they crushed out in quarter final..his personal performance till quarter final was one of the bestin that world cup.Yes he did not score but he had few assist and he was sublime !!! Wed 12 Jan 2011 16:32:19 GMT+1 ryan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=78#comment268 Just had a look at the contenders who were selected before the three man short list was made and was surprised to see Asamoah Gyan on there. A player who spent the 09/10 season at a mid table French team and harldy played. It looks like the World Cup has more of a bearing than first thought. If a player who scores three goals in the WC, two of which were pens, is nominated, then where was Robert Vittek's nomination???? He helped eliminate the holders!!Was this just another one of FIFA's token gestures, because the World Cup happened to be held in Africa in 2010 and Ghana were the most successful African team?? Am I missing something? And before anyway accuses me of any kind of prejudice, Drogba, who is also from an African nation, is also on the list and rightly so. Wed 12 Jan 2011 16:16:44 GMT+1 Komoria-United http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=77#comment267 Messi deserved the ballon d'or, what i don't understand is that Fifa's recognition on English football, as that is the best league in the world. So i was supprised that i didn't any English footballer on the short list. Fifa need to wake up. Wed 12 Jan 2011 16:16:42 GMT+1 Sam Wanjere http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=77#comment266 The following excerpt is perhaps where this argument can be won: "...Few pundits begrudged Jose Mourinho his honour after achieving an unprecedented treble with Inter Milan, winning the domestic league and cup double on top of the Champions League. It in no way diminishes the achievements of Vicente Del Bosque but it was broadly accepted the Spain coach took over an already established and outstanding group of players when he succeeded Luis Aragones in 2008 in the wake of the Euro 2008 triumph..."There are clear double standards here when comparison is made between Mourinho's award Vs Del Bosque, and Messi Vs the Spanish favorites. Both Mou and Messi share the underdog status, with their respective teams, Inter Milan and Argentina's national team, underdogs to Barcelona and Spain. The latter pair are (were) already established conquerors, while the previous two required more work, hence the enormity of their achievement.When it comes to Barcelona, the genius of Iniesta and Xavi is undoubted, their abilities unparalleled, yet that team's marquee player remains the Flea. He's the offensive magician who makes things happen. Things in this case are either goals or assists that lead to goals. No one player can win games by themselves, although some schools of thought would disagree (read Michael Jordan or Steven Gerrard here).Messi's role at Barca is understated, with excellence all round him. With Argentina his "shortcomings" also expose his strengths. When things got real bad tactically for Argentina's WC 2010 squad, all balls were thrust in Messi's direction, in the hope that he'd wave his magic wand. Spain's depth was frightening because Xavi's off day could be compensated by others (Alonso, even Iniesta). If it's a matter of relativity, I'd argue that Messi should win this award hands down. The one thing I'd have done in the award is tie Messi and Xavi. Xavi is on the wrong side of time and this honor to elude him now represents possibly his last chance to win it. But does it matter that much? Does the lifting of such an honor diminish a player like Xavi's greatness? I don't think so one bit. Wed 12 Jan 2011 15:47:53 GMT+1 eaman http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=77#comment265 first of all specnur. Messi won la liga didnt he and was top scorer in the champions league and was very unlucky not to score in the world cup. remember messi isnt just a goalscorer he is an unbelievable creator of goals as his 5 assists in the world cup proved. also alot of Messi's goals are created by himself. so to say he relies on xavi and iniesta all the time is rubbish. i also believe Barcelona werent at there best in the first leg against inter coz of there disrupted travel plans. there travel plans were disrupted against Osasuna this year and they looked shaky for half an hour. also inter won the champs league due to tactics more so than sneijder. he got very little touches of the ball in both legs. Messi made cesar pull off a wonder save and he also put in a pinpoint cross that bojan should have scored. Point is Messi is the best in the world Wed 12 Jan 2011 15:31:58 GMT+1 pekster11-save 606 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=76#comment264 259# if you think ronaldo has more skill than messi, you should start watching another sport ! Wed 12 Jan 2011 15:29:56 GMT+1 licecapades http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=76#comment263 "At 1:55pm on 12 Jan 2011, d3v3n wrote:Although Messi is a great player, so is Ronaldo, Iniesta, Xavi, Sniejder, Rooney, Gerrard, Torres etc.. but why Messi won the award is questionable.The winner should have been selected based on what they had achieved. And with those thoughts the winner should have been Sneijder... "--------------------------------------------------------------------sorry its an individual award not a 'team' award. Wed 12 Jan 2011 15:23:10 GMT+1 Dazz http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=76#comment262 27. At 1:47pm on 11 Jan 2011, Amanbro wrote:The British public seem to think this award is for the most successful player of the year. The FIFA version of the award is based on the judgment of coaches. Let's face it, if a coach is given the choice of having any player in his team then Messi would be the first name on the team sheet. The Ballon D'or on the other hand is based on the judgment of journalists who (I imagine) would have gone for Xavi (or maybe Sneijder is he was on the shortlist). Iniesta would have garnered similar interest in both awards. Personally, I fully agree with Messi winning the award. He is so much better than anyone else (including the last 12 months). When people look back in history they would want to know who the best player in the world was (not who had a good year). He fully deserves it. I feel silly arguing with people who are set in their ways and too stubborn to change but I hope somebody may see sense from my comments.------------------------------------------------------------------------Totally agree! Wed 12 Jan 2011 15:17:17 GMT+1 ArronD http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=76#comment261 If you were putting together a World XI, who would be the first player you would think of? Most people would say Messi. He was the best player in the world last year IMO. Nobody comes near him in terms of ability (bar maybe Ronaldo). He deserved to win it. The Spanish media's reaction makes no sense to me. Wed 12 Jan 2011 15:10:57 GMT+1 ryan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=75#comment260 260. At 2:15pm on 12 Jan 2011, kabaja wrote:NO XAVI, NO MESSI BLVI ME. WATCH AGERNTINA TEAM.U GET 2 UNDERSTAND ME MORE.-------------------------------------------------------------------------Que Pasa?Anyway, forget Messi. Where is the blog about the injustice of Phil Taylor not winning the SPOTY? AP looked very surprised that it wasn't Phil! Wed 12 Jan 2011 14:28:46 GMT+1 kabaja http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=75#comment259 NO XAVI, NO MESSI BLVI ME. WATCH AGERNTINA TEAM.U GET 2 UNDERSTAND ME MORE. Wed 12 Jan 2011 14:15:15 GMT+1 Alex Winter http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=75#comment258 To say if it was a wrong decision, one thing needs to be answered; What is the criteria for this award? Is it overall skill, or success at a club/world level? In my mind, the three finalists were definitely wrong anyway. Messi and Ronaldo are the most skillful players out there, by a long way. But in terms of success, Messi and Ronaldo, although individually brilliant for both club and country, didn't win either the champions league or World Cup. Without a doubt, Wesley Sneijder should have won this award (if the criteria was leading a team to success). He led Inter to European success, and he led the Netherlands to the World Cup Final (and it was more of a shock for them to be there, than the Spaniards). In my book, on skill, the order is Ronaldo, Messi, Xavi. However on influence of the game for 2010, it is Sneijder, Iniesta, Xavi.I think Ronaldo is extremely hard-done by that noone has been throwing out his name as unlucky to not be in the final 3. Anyone with half a brain can see he is immensely talented, even more-so as he is not playing alongside these other players. Wed 12 Jan 2011 14:09:18 GMT+1 kabaja http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=74#comment257 I THINK DE END OF BARCELONA, MONKEY D WORK SOMETHING DE CHOP. Wed 12 Jan 2011 14:03:06 GMT+1 ed http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=74#comment256 For me, Messi, who was already the best player in the world at the start of this year, progressed onto another level over the last 12 months. Even though it was only for Barcelona and not for Argentina, you have to agree that he personally added an incredible spectacle to World Football. Every time i watched a game of his on tv (which was quite often) you wouldn't bet against him scoring a hat-trick of beautifully crafted solo efforts or team goals in which he would be a central creative figure. Xavi and Iniesta are a great pairing. And both offer a lot individually. Their passing ranges are insane. Their vision is something else. But on a week in, week out basis, they have not been as consistant as Lionel over the past 12 months. On a personal note, i think of past Balllon d'Or winners like Zidane and Ronaldinho who were outstanding. Both incredibly artistic, beautiful and effective players. Messi is in that category. If Messi had been sidelined with injury for the past 12 months, ok Xavi or Iniesta could have stepped in to claim the award. But Messi is a true great. He's up there with Pele. Wed 12 Jan 2011 14:02:48 GMT+1 Paul http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=74#comment255 On a more serious note, does it really matter?I'm pretty sure if you gave Xavi and Iniesta the choice between a World Cup winner's medal or the Ballon d'Or I know which one they'd choose. The same goes for Sneijder - Ballon d'Or or Champions League?And the winner, Messi - I bet he'd love to exchange his Ballon d'Or award for a World Cup winners medal.Sure it's a nice award, but it's no big deal. Wed 12 Jan 2011 14:00:38 GMT+1 d3v3n http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=74#comment254 Although Messi is a great player, so is Ronaldo, Iniesta, Xavi, Sniejder, Rooney, Gerrard, Torres etc.. but why Messi won the award is questionable.The winner should have been selected based on what they had achieved. And with those thoughts the winner should have been Sneijder... Wed 12 Jan 2011 13:55:00 GMT+1 thabootifulgame http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=73#comment253 its just a realm pity xavi will never recieve the award, when he has been a influential player for yers and puts the magic into every game he plays, a truely exciting playmaker! Wed 12 Jan 2011 13:54:53 GMT+1 rikkirokkit http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=73#comment252 Jay V C...winning the champions leaguewinning the italian leaguewinning the italian cupyeh Mourinho and his dark arts did get the trophy. Wed 12 Jan 2011 13:53:47 GMT+1 Paul http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=73#comment251 The truth is that I should have won the Ballon d'Or for my performances on my local 5-a-side pitch. Trouble is, the professionals were all too busy making wads of cash to come and watch. Wed 12 Jan 2011 13:53:03 GMT+1 rikkirokkit http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=72#comment250 Dusk1983...spot on.Saw this link someone posted. It sums up Messi. Fantastic skill and great honour and determination. The best there is...worthy winner.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJhh-YcvbU Wed 12 Jan 2011 13:51:12 GMT+1 Liamjm http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=72#comment249 Messi is best player in world so he is a worthy winner for me! 37 goals last season says it all. Wed 12 Jan 2011 13:26:11 GMT+1 Dusk1983 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=72#comment248 Those claiming Messi isn't subjected to strong, physical opposition play in La Liga - please watch a game or two before opening your mouths!Plenty of players are sent out target him but have learnt over the last few years it is largely futile. His centre of gravity is so low and his legs are so short, quick & powerful that, even in full flight, he can - literally - be unchallengable, riding tackles that would seriously injure any other player.Ramos and Carvalho, two of the world's finest defenders, spent the second half of El Classico blatantly trying to "reduce" him, and failed miserably.It really, really doesn't bear thinking about what lumbering oafs such as Shawcross and Bramble would end up resorting to. Either they'd (a) freeze in fear, or more likely (b) lunge in clumsily and concede a penalty inside the first 5 minutes!If Barcelona were to play in the Premier League, not only would every side ship a terrifying amount of goals, they'd each lose 2 or 3 players to suspension as a result of every fixture. It'd end up Barca vs. EPL Under 21s! Wed 12 Jan 2011 13:20:41 GMT+1 tgbutd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=72#comment247 Whats with all there cries. Best player of the 3 was Messi. If it was on achievements then it would have been one of the other two. I admire how humble Messi is. More like kaka. They are truly a blessing to this greedy modern game. Its unfortunate that Xavi doesnt score many goals because he is an exceptional midfielder. Should be honoured for his contributions. As long as Messi and Ronaldo are in such sterling scoring form it would be hard for anyone to win the award. Lets face it these two guys have that extra bit of skill. Iniesta may get his opportunity if he improves his goal scoring prowess. Wed 12 Jan 2011 12:43:13 GMT+1 Jau http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=71#comment246 id go with the man that was a big part in:winning the champions leaguewinning the italian leaguewinning the italian cupgetting to the final of the world cup, along with being joint top goalscorer at the world cup.but well..what do i know hey!? Wed 12 Jan 2011 12:33:34 GMT+1 rikkirokkit http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=71#comment245 YES he did deserve it. But Xavi and Iniesta did too. The thing is the trophy is Barcas trophy again. Its another testament to FC Barcelonas outstanding philosophy and academy. Wed 12 Jan 2011 11:55:06 GMT+1 i hate sepp blatter http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=71#comment244 he scored over 60 goals for club and country in 2010...... of course he deserved it Wed 12 Jan 2011 11:36:24 GMT+1 Giggs' Left Peg http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philminshull/2011/01/did_the_wrong_man_win_the_ball.html?page=70#comment243 I think if you look at all 3 players objectively there is no question Messi has been the best footballer on the planet in 2010 - is that not what this award is for?Going for sentiment, Xavi should have got it and going off the World Cup i think Iniesta or Sneijder should have got it.I think the main travesty is that Sneijder didn't get in the top 3. Won the domestic treble with his club and inspired his national team to the WC final earning the golden boot jointly in the process. What more could he have done apart from win the world cup? Wed 12 Jan 2011 11:33:04 GMT+1