Comments for http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html en-gb 30 Sun 20 Apr 2014 00:04:57 GMT+1 A feed of user comments from the page found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html Rabbitsmoker http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=99#comment363 There are no reporters in America anymore. There is no way to get news here. It's all a nonstop editorial. We don't get facts, we get the opinions of whatever talking head has the current screen time. We only se whatever video clips the editor who's working wants us to see. Both Fox News and MSNBC are just endless campaign advertisements for the party they "represent". Journalism is dead in America and because of that of course it will get nastier and we will all get stupider. The only "news" (I don't see why we even call it that anymore)worth watching here is on Comedy Central. At least they know they are a joke and don't try and hide it.HEALTH CARE IS A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT! It's disgusting, pathetic and evil that there is even 5 minutes of debate about this. I have a bunch of money and I can't get "insurance" (another joke) because we let filthy rich, greedy and absolutely inhumane corporations decide who lives and dies in this so called "land of the free". I can tell you that until the problem is solved I will continue to go to emergency rooms and will continue to refuse to pay the bill. If very American that does not have health insurance or are killing themselves working just to keep their health insurance, went to the nearest hospital emergency room on the same day just once, This ridiculous argument would be over. Wed 10 Mar 2010 19:37:41 GMT+1 Jim Micheau http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=99#comment362 Mark. Must not worry about us Yanks. We have developed the quiet resolve. While the sign wavers are getting all of the news coverage the rest of us are waiting for our turn in the voting booth. Many of those who voted for the current administration and congress are in denial right now. Their voice of pre-election support has been muted by the very politicians they voted for. I wouldn't say that the up-coming mid-term election is going to be a blood-bath. I would say, and I would hope, that the outcome is going to help us quietly return us to a pattern of normalcy. The Republic of the United States of America is very precious to us all. We will preserve it.P.S. You must get away from the East coast for a better perspective. Drop me a line. I'd love to show you around Arizona. Wed 10 Mar 2010 03:53:07 GMT+1 Andrew Hodgkinson http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=99#comment361 Whilst I appreciate this is off the topic, wasn't Brian the snail and Dougal was the dog? Either way he has my vote as well!One wonders if the manipulation of language to make a point is as much about deliberately creating ambiguity as it is creating sound-bite for the masses. From what I have seen of the American electoral process they are increasingly reliant on emotional response, deliberately clouding the factual content of any message to limit negative spin. Tue 09 Mar 2010 00:51:01 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=98#comment360 Perhaps I should start writing official press releases? :) Mon 08 Mar 2010 23:28:07 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=98#comment359 This post has been Removed Mon 08 Mar 2010 22:05:57 GMT+1 GH1618 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=98#comment358 What difference does it make what political leanings these obviously disturbed individuals held, anyway? There are such people across the political spectrum, and they are probably proportionally represented in every group. Is there any basis for claiming that one political point of view is more valid than another if those who adhere to it have a smaller proportion of schizophrenics in their midst? Mon 08 Mar 2010 21:27:15 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=98#comment357 357. At 8:23pm on 08 Mar 2010, John_From_Dublin wrote: "That's really your defence? 'OK - I'm telling fibs - but he started it!'?"I have presented at least some documentation to indicate that they at least were not right wing and at most were left wing. No one else has offered any sources to back up they were right wing so I don't see how I am incorrect. Mon 08 Mar 2010 21:06:52 GMT+1 John_From_Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=97#comment356 # 338 csgators "335. At 2:51pm on 08 Mar 2010, John_From_Dublin wrote:"You stated as a fact that both were extreme leftists."And the original post said they liked Palin, didn't see anyone ask them for sources."That's really your defence? 'OK - I'm telling fibs - but he started it!'? Mon 08 Mar 2010 20:23:06 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=97#comment355 Re # 351 SDI do hope that all Spanish territories recover from their current predicament, particularly financial one, which is not of theirs, but of Madrid's doing.The fact that Portugal is in an even worse shape is not much of a consolation.BTW. When I was there many locals watched with great interest and concern reports about Paris, and particularly Berlin, not being too eager to bail out Greece. Obviously drawing a parallel.[No, I don't want to go into Iceland's predicament; that's a separate issue]P.S. If euro continues to weaken many American tourists who stayed away in recent years - may return. Which might help some. But just some. Mon 08 Mar 2010 19:54:37 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=97#comment354 This post has been Removed Mon 08 Mar 2010 19:37:58 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=96#comment353 349. At 5:50pm on 08 Mar 2010, GH1618 wrote:"It looks like JackalMightyNonGrata already has two more identies. Has anybody kept count?"Have no fear, meerkat's here. :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Mon 08 Mar 2010 19:21:11 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=96#comment352 Re #345What's so funny, you ask?A pot calling a kettle black.People living in glass houses and casting stones...Acorn activists denigrating Bible-Belt folk.Socialists swearing they are none of the kind.Teabaggers claiming high moral ground and criticizing members of Tea Party.What an amusing bunch of hypocrites.Yes, That's actually pretty funny. :-)))))))))) Mon 08 Mar 2010 19:01:22 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=96#comment351 Below is a link to a video statement by the American-born al-Qaida spokesman, which not only our Commander-in-Chief Barack Hussein Obama, but quite a few posters in this blog should watch and listen to.Because it's a good educational material for Islamists' fellow travelers.[Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator] Mon 08 Mar 2010 18:42:28 GMT+1 SaintDominick http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=96#comment350 Ref 317, powermeerkat"Been to Madeira about a week ago. What a shame. :-((("Relatives in Gran Canaria and La Palma sent me pictures that show some of the devastation in those islands, and changes such as waterfalls that would have been hard to believe a few decades ago. Not as bad as Madeira, but hard to handle when they are struggling to overcome the effects of the global economic recession. Mon 08 Mar 2010 18:28:13 GMT+1 GH1618 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=95#comment349 David Murrell (#346), likewise, I could not find anything to support this from a web search. All we have is powerm..'s quotation taken out of context, with no supporting documentation. This is typical of his contributions, as was recently shown by his castigating The New York Times for not returning a Pulitzer Prize which is not in their possession.This contributor is someone who merely wishes to grind his political axe, without regard for documented facts. I don't take any of his postings seriously. Mon 08 Mar 2010 18:24:15 GMT+1 GH1618 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=95#comment348 It looks like JackalMightyNonGrata already has two more identies. Has anybody kept count? Mon 08 Mar 2010 17:50:24 GMT+1 averum http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=95#comment347 As a Southern, former Democrat, sometimes Redneck independent, my hope is that we will finally have an election that will be so nasty that Nixon's "Great Silent Majority", will elect an independent or even a Libertarian. However, It is my comic belief that the world will end on 12-12-2012 purely because God could not stand for His "Blessed America" to endure another stolen election such as in 2000 and that God could not let the world suffer another 8 years of fascist Republican rule. Why will God wait 5 weeks after the November 5th election to pull the plug? It's simple, because the election will be so close, it will take that long for the Supreme Court (sounds saintly, doesn't it) to decide the outcome in favor of the Money Changer Corporate Elite (aka, Democrat or Republican). What's the difference between a Democrat and Republican? A Republican has no humor, a Democrat is a Joke, both support the elite.averum Mon 08 Mar 2010 17:48:53 GMT+1 Eugene http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=95#comment346 I wonder sometimes, if the people who make the comments know the history behind their own country, on the very issues that they are addressing. being an American, what amazes me, is that our own politicians, believe that we are too ignorant of the facts. Racism is brought up by the people who are actually running for office, not the voters.Political promises are difficult to keep due to our own constitution,and rightful so. It is what keeps us the land of the free. It is also, through the right to vote, what is slowly taking our freedoms away. Socialism is probably the most perfect form of government, but won't work because everybody is suppose to share equally, including the people at the top. Case in point our own senators, congressman, and the benefits they receive. The great empires of the world were all destroyed by the people in power. Mon 08 Mar 2010 17:48:13 GMT+1 David Murrell http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=94#comment345 For interest I checked the "Beware of politicians hailing from Austria!" LA Times headline through an internet search to see if I could read this story. That exact term came up only twice, once on this board today and once as a quote used on this board on 6th October 2009 (surprisingly from the same author – Always nice to be original :)))))))))))))))))))))) etc).Now I am not saying the LA Times never went with this headline (though it does not show on their website archives) just that I am guessing it has been misquoted. So anyone else remember this headline? Otherwise I am going to have discount it as an amusing piece of hearsay, after all quotation marks don’t mean something’s actually a quote! Mon 08 Mar 2010 17:14:35 GMT+1 U14374938 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=94#comment344 341. At 4:00pm on 08 Mar 2010, powermeerkat wrote:Re #330 "laughter lines"reminds me of a warning from the liberal Los Angeles Times, when Arnie S. ran for California's governor 1st time:"Beware of politicians hailing from Austria!".It was nice to see that when it suited them Leftist media did not mind to use sen. McCarthy's methods. :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))Sorry but I fail to see any connection between this and the topic being discussed.Nor to be honest can I understand how laughter lines provoking a thought about Arnie being from Austria . Mon 08 Mar 2010 17:09:58 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=94#comment343 The US treasury department has eased sanctions on Iran, Cuba and Sudan to help further the use of web services and support opposition groups.US technology firms will now be allowed to export online services such as instant messaging and social networks. Companies had not offered such services for fear of violating sanctions. Opposition supporters in Iran used social networking sites and services to organise protests after the country's disputed presidential poll last year. The US Treasury said exports would be allowed of services related to web browsing, blogging, email, instant messaging, chat, social networking and photo- and movie-sharing. The move was intended to "ensure that individuals in these countries can exercise their universal right to free speech and information to the greatest extent possible," it said. [BBC]I'm sure that if those decisions bring fruit, we shall see a veritable flood of anti-US, anti-capitalism, anti IFOR, etc., comments from common Cubans, Iranians, etc., even is this blog. ;-)Oh boy, it's going to be fun! :-)))P.S. Too bad about North Korea, Syria and Vietnam not being on the list. Or even Venezuela. And I was really looking forward to that. :-( Mon 08 Mar 2010 17:06:11 GMT+1 U14374938 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=93#comment342 340 The other shooter that went to the Pentagon was a lefty. You can tell he was found with marijuana in his bag. The cessation of anti depressant medication has absolutely nothing to do with people attacking others.The use of non prescribed marijuana was blamed.No one has ever lost it from stopping taking their medication when it was legal medicines. Mon 08 Mar 2010 16:55:11 GMT+1 GH1618 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=93#comment341 arclightt (#334) "You are correct that in practice a popular President can and does sway the Congress' actions on the budget. However, from a Constitutional standpoint (and we do still believe that to be the ultimate law of the land, don't we?) the Congress, not the President, is still ultimately accountable for what is allocated."That's the Republican point of view, I would say. Sole legislative power resides with the Congress, constitutionally, but to say that makes them "ultimately accountable" is just simplistic blather. Accountability is nowhere defined in the Constitution; it is purely political. Voters deside whom to hold accountable, sometimes with good justification, sometimes not.The chart of US National Debt relative to GDP (to which I have posted links several times) shows a clear and significant correlation between the sharp runup in the debt and the presidencies of Reagan and the first Bush, after 35 years of decline (relative to GDP) under presidencies of both parties and a Congress controlled by Democrats, then a reduction in the debt under President Clinton, and up again under the second President Bush. Presidential policies are the most significant factor influencing changes in the debt.Since the Budget and Accounting Act of 1921, the burden of proposing a budget has fallen on the Executive Branch, and budgeting has been a cooperative effort between the Congress and the White House. Here is a link to a document The Congress, the President, and the Budget which would help you understand the process, if you are interested (I don't expect you are), or others in any case.References to what is written in the Constitution do not impress me. I am a pragmatist. I look to what the Supreme Court says the Constitution means, not to anonymous persons on blogs, and I look at how our constitutional government actually functions, not to how some pedant thinks it ought to function. Mon 08 Mar 2010 16:49:04 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=93#comment340 Re #330 "laughter lines"reminds me of a warning from the liberal Los Angeles Times, when Arnie S. ran for California's governor 1st time:"Beware of politicians hailing from Austria!".It was nice to see that when it suited them Leftist media did not mind to use sen. McCarthy's methods. :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Mon 08 Mar 2010 16:00:48 GMT+1 David Murrell http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=93#comment339 Ok read both of those articles about the IRS suicide and the museum shooter and neither other than the bias of the writers suggests either was a rabid left-winger.With the first, I am sorry but the article lost all credibility when I read ‘It is the Left who are slaves to Marxism, the foundation of today’s Democratic Party’. Let’s face fact this ‘pilot’ was a sad unhinged fellow, whose reasoning was solely in his head and probably had little to do with actual politics.As for the shooter, Ms Malkin took one fact that the shooter had a magazine address and extrapolated without any further evidence. Neither the FBI nor magazine said they had received any threats. I have magazine addresses at home, shockingly I have never threatened any of them! Mon 08 Mar 2010 15:55:15 GMT+1 Quillan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=92#comment338 It is a bit unfair to present Obama as leading the socialistic trends of today when there have been others, and certainly USA has clearly been on a mercantilist path for many decades. The only difference between ho w socialism and mercantilism are implemented (in most cases) is the morality used to cleverly shroud the former while the latter is done with great hypocrisy under a “free market” cloak. Both socialism and mercantilism interferes with free market principles to the detriment o f the economy, while neither major party can excuse themselves for being respectively involved therefore responsible for the outcomes. In the end, one can merely point to any of the recent presidents finding all have contributed to the current economic dilemma. I would agree, Obama has greatly exasperated the “state of the union” with his socialistic tendencies, but a “state” which he inherited as well. Mon 08 Mar 2010 15:45:35 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=92#comment337 335. At 2:51pm on 08 Mar 2010, John_From_Dublin wrote:"You stated as a fact that both were extreme leftists."And the original post said they liked Palin, didn't see anyone ask them for sources. Mon 08 Mar 2010 15:34:37 GMT+1 U14374829 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=92#comment336 321. At 1:27pm on 08 Mar 2010, MagicKirin wrote:Here is one link that show Rev Wright's racismhttp://www.wnd.com/?pageId=59230"The task of black theology is to kill gods who do not belong to the black community"Whites have used white theology to deny blacks their own religions for years. What was all that slavery and conversion about?326 David Murrel"obviously falls down on the argument that Christ was black, which he wasn’t either. If Christ existed he would have been a Semite, Jewish to be exact,"http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8550614.stm Racist's come in every colour , I just don't believe Rev Wright was more than a frustrated patriot.Many people made similar comments that America should have expected an attack. Mon 08 Mar 2010 15:28:04 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=92#comment335 Qoutes from Wright:"On June 9, 2009, in an interview with the Daily Press of Newport News, Wright indicated that he hadn't had contact with Obama up to that point because "Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me""[T]he Jewish vote, the A-I-P-A-C vote, that’s controlling him, that would not let him send representation to the Darfur Review Conference, that’s talking this craziness on this trip, cause they’re Zionists, they would not let him talk to someone who calls a spade what it is""Speaking at the Washington, D.C., school's Andrew Rankin Memorial Chapel, Wright said, "We started the AIDS virus. … We are only able to maintain our level of living by making sure that Third World people live in grinding poverty."""The pastor reportedly said in a sermon just after 9/11, "The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. The government lied.""http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Wrighthttp://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=58928 Mon 08 Mar 2010 15:04:25 GMT+1 John_From_Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=91#comment334 # 277 csgators wrote:"@John_From_Dublin/Poliltics is always a matter of opinion but:/Joseph Stack: http://www.newsrealblog.com/2010/02/20/joseph-stack-disillusioned-leftist-not-racist-right-wing-teabagger/muesem shooter: http://michellemalkin.com/2009/06/11/inconvenient-truth-holocaust-museum-shooter-hated-fox-news-murdoch-weekly-standard-possible-target/"You stated as a fact that both were extreme leftists. I didn't say they weren't but asked for evidence, especially re the museum guy. Your evidence re the museum guy is a link to an extreme right winger who suggests that it MAY not be that simple, since he had the address of an apparently right wing mag in his apartment, and he ranted against 'neocons'. Politics is not 'always a matter of opinion '. Facts occasionally intrude... Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:51:40 GMT+1 arclightt http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=91#comment333 @118 (GH) / 122 (StD): What both of you wrote regarding the interaction between the President and the Congress on the allocation of the budget is "necessary but not sufficient". You are correct that in practice a popular President can and does sway the Congress' actions on the budget. However, from a Constitutional standpoint (and we do still believe that to be the ultimate law of the land, don't we?) the Congress, not the President, is still ultimately accountable for what is allocated. This is why our current debt situation cannot be laid at the feet of Reagan, or Bush 1 or 2, or Clinton, LBJ, FDR, etc., as popular (or not) as they were in their times. It must be laid and kept firmly at the feet of the Congress. If we are unwilling to do that, then we are ascribing to the Executive Branch powers that the Constitution says the Executive does not have, with no check or balance on those powers; we are contributing to the dysfunction of our government.As an aside, I believe that if you check you will find that during the Nixon administration the Congress passed at least one piece of legislation that required the President to spend ALL of what was allocated (Nixon apparently had taken the position that just because the Congress allocated funds for X, he didn't have to spend them). This is another example of the Congress asserting its ultimate authority over the budget.Thanks,Arclight Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:51:16 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=91#comment332 Messed up that last post, link is not to Cato but a description of an article on the subject. Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:49:48 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=90#comment331 Hmmm how about the Cato institute?See the problem is the ones doing the bias reporting aren’t going to report on it. Anyone who points it out is immediately labeled right wing.Keep in mid the trend is tons of report on it during the 80's when it wasn't that bad and then less coverage during the 90's when it was getting worse and worse.[Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator] Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:47:47 GMT+1 PartTimeDon http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=90#comment330 Ref# 325"Yes the MRC reports on liberal bias since the majority of the news media is iberal there is really not a need for a conservative watch dog. although Media Matters trys to potray itself as one."________________Magic, you are parroting an assertion that has never been proved.The NRC set out to prove that a media bias existed. It has not publicly done so, but continues to operate as if that assumption is true.Any respectable "research center" would at least try to prove this. Any research center that had this assumption as part of it's setup literature needs to at least try and prove it in order not to be considered a laughing stock. Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:40:45 GMT+1 John_From_Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=90#comment329 # 319 powermeerkat wrote:"Not at all. There's still PBS and NPR, after all. :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))"I make that approx 26 'smiles' [or at least I assume that's what they are intended to represent]. I'm reminded of the story of Mick jagger being interviewed. He was asked about the [many] lines on his face, and replied 'they're laughter lines'. To which someone else replied - 'Nothing's THAT funny'. ;-p Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:31:36 GMT+1 PartTimeDon http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=90#comment328 Ref# 321 MagicAre you aware of the difference between supposition and reporting?Wright has demonstrated contravertial views in the past, but the only reference to evidence cited on that link is the well documented "God Damn America" sermon.The rest of the article cites theology that it attributes to Wright without once backing that attribution up and quotes another editorial that is nothing but speculation about Wrights views. Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:12:48 GMT+1 David Murrell http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=89#comment327 Csgator – the point is if you rely on news organisations that only support your own ideology the argument is undermined. The MRC claim, with no basis in reality, to be scientific in their analysis, since they fail to live up to simple expectations they give themselves, any data they supply must be questioned. Put simply, they find evidence to back up their hypothesis, suggesting that they in all likelihood ignore any evidence that counters that hypothesis.They may well be correct in this regard but we have only their say so. If you or others had found similar supporting evidence elsewhere then we could have thrown that pinch of salt over our shoulders. As it is we have to accept secondary evidence from an admitted biased source, I for one would prefer something more substantiated and provable. Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:09:24 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=89#comment326 Oh and Magic is right about Rev. Wright. He is indefensible, just ask Obama. Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:03:04 GMT+1 David Murrell http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=89#comment325 Magic – To be fair that article speaks more about Cone than Wright. In some ways Cone is correct the West does depict Christ as white, actually it depicts Christ as a specific white person (answers on a postcode as to which white person), his argument obviously falls down on the argument that Christ was black, which he wasn’t either. If Christ existed he would have been a Semite, Jewish to be exact, he would have looked like the locals of Israel and Palestine (ironically more Palestinian, since many Israelis have returned to their homeland after spending centuries outside the Levant).I am not sure the point, however, surely not the fact that black people can be racist!?! Just as racist as white people, Asian people, Jewish people (unless of course the term Gentile does not have connotations of inferiority), as I have said previously xenophobia is part of our basic psychology, and historically has served humanity well (we just don’t live in the past any more).Are you suggesting that because Wright is racist, it follows that Obama (who is maternally half white) is also racist? You think this endorses as view that Obama hates whites, sees them as an enemy? If not, again what is the point? My Father is quite proud of the fact that his is both racist and homophobic, by rights he should have more influence over me than this priest would over Obama, yet I subscribe to none of my Father’s views in this regard, as he would be the first acknowledge. Mon 08 Mar 2010 14:01:35 GMT+1 MagicKirin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=89#comment324 ref #320Yes the MRC reports on liberal bias since the majority of the news media is iberal there is really not a need for a conservative watch dog. although Media Matters trys to potray itself as one. Mon 08 Mar 2010 13:57:17 GMT+1 MagicKirin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=88#comment323 ref #318You have repeatedly made the assertion that Fox is in fact 'fair and balanced'. I don't think even Fox believes that.___________-When ever people complain about Fox they point our conservative shows like Beck and Hannity. (personal note Hannity and Colmes was much better than Hannity, probaly from a busness standpoint, Ailes biggest mistake)But have any of the detractors watch the Fox News report with Shepard Smith that is the news reporting end. Mon 08 Mar 2010 13:55:58 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=88#comment322 Say what you want about Media Research Center but I still think they have the ability to count how many stories ran in the MSM about a certain topic, which was how they were brought into the conversation to begin with. Mon 08 Mar 2010 13:42:53 GMT+1 PartTimeDon http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=88#comment321 Ref 318 JFDMurdoch is a realist. His newspapers promote the policies that will most benefit his empire. He was happy to back Blair in the UK for over a decade. In the absence of any other factor, he tends to back the low tax party.P.S. I wouldn't spend too long trying to get info out of Magic. It quicker to get the information directly from Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly or Glenn Back. Mon 08 Mar 2010 13:41:40 GMT+1 MagicKirin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=87#comment320 Here is one link that show Rev Wright's racismhttp://www.wnd.com/?pageId=59230 Mon 08 Mar 2010 13:27:17 GMT+1 PartTimeDon http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=87#comment319 The Media Research Center looks like the same kind of construct as Bob Jones University. It's a cynical attempt to add a veneer of authenticity to partisan marginalised opinions in an attempt to make them mainstream.There's no reporting - (there's no research!!). At best it's editorialising and at worst (usually) it's pontificating. Basically its a pressure group set up to indoctrinate right wing beliefs. Mon 08 Mar 2010 13:23:24 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=87#comment318 "If Fox is the best you can do...."Not at all. There's still PBS and NPR, after all. :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))) Mon 08 Mar 2010 13:22:46 GMT+1 John_From_Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=87#comment317 # 313 MagicKirin wrote:"To David and dublin: I wil give you quotes./However before I go through that effort, I want to be assured that if I use say Fox News or the WSJ you are not going to immediatly (sic) disregard it."Your main assertion was the following - "Brent Bozell like Scott Rasmusen [sic] is quite reputable. Certainaly [sic] he can be trusted far more than the George Soros funded Media Matters". You have repeatedly made the assertion that Fox is in fact 'fair and balanced'. I don't think even Fox believes that.I know little of the WSJ other that it is unashamedly conservative, and considered to be even more so since Murdoch bought it. [For the record I do not dismiss everything Murdoch is involved with - I watch his Sky News and read his Sunday Times - one big difference however is that, under UK broadcasting law, Sky News genuinely has to attempt to be 'fair and balanced'].If Fox is the best you can do....As for the WSJ - if you are referring to their news reports, I maintain an open mind. If however your 'evidence' is that right wing columnists and/or editorials tend to favour right wing websites over left wing ones... Mon 08 Mar 2010 13:06:54 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=86#comment316 P.S. SaintDominickI honestly believe that not only a Sov..er...Russian-U.S. nuclear arms reduction treaty should be signed soon [the problem so far having been Moscow's opposition to an effective verification regime], but that most of U.S. military bases abroad should be closed, and U.S. Army becoming robotized as much as possible as soon as practically possible.Which then would make lots of $$$$ available for legitimate social programs I would not be against at all. On the contrary.P.S. Been to Madeira about a week ago. What a shame. :-((( Mon 08 Mar 2010 13:02:26 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=86#comment315 SaintDominick Ref 312, powermeerkatYes,I think Islamabad saw the writing on the wall a year or so ago when it looked like they were going to lose control of the country. I'll be surprised if the top echelon of Al Qaeda is still around. My guess is that they relocated their operations to Somalia or Yemen a long time ago.Nope. As far as I know they haven't. And they are still in NWFP. For a good reason.The House of Saudis, now drectly threatened, has take a rather effective military action against miscreants in adjacent Yemen.[from which Usama ibn Laden's family hails, incidentally]And, make no mistake about it: Saudis are much less concerned about accusations of 'renditions' and 'tortures' that U.S. ever would.Including dropping terrorists in the middle of Yemeni desert.Even when there is a shortage of parachutes.[ME is in recession after all, with oil prices falling fast] Mon 08 Mar 2010 12:53:46 GMT+1 David Murrell http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=86#comment314 Magic – I read the MRC website and the two most recent columns by Mr Bozell, the website clearly states that its sole reason existence is to counterbalance a liberal media monopoly that that it sees there being. This does not mean that there is such a monopoly, its claim of being scientific is obviously and clearly false. It is not using the empirical model, it works from a hypothesis and only looks for proof to support this hypothesis (if anyone is unsure why this fails to be scientific, shame on you).As for Mr Bozell’s column, well not the most insightful pieces of journalism are they? Praising nasty Simon Cowell over Howard Stern, especially since it concerns American Idol, is not the cutting edge political debate the MRC seems to suggest it aims for.I must say if this special interest group is what you are basing your claims against the media on, I can see the problem. As for Fox News and Wall Street Journal, please do, I am not sure what should be the American equivalent to the Financial Times is going to say of relevance, outside the business world but hey I live to learn. As for Fox News, I have very little knowledge about that news agency other than the few bizarre quotes that sometimes reach these shores.I will point out, however, I didn’t actually ask for any of this, I was merely pointing out your earlier response was both disrespectful and failed to actually respond to the original request. Mon 08 Mar 2010 12:32:24 GMT+1 SaintDominick http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=85#comment313 Ref 312, powermeerkat Yes,I think Islamabad saw the writing on the wall a year or so ago when it looked like they were going to lose control of the country. I'll be surprised if the top echelon of Al Qaeda is still around. My guess is that they relocated their operations to Somalia or Yemen a long time ago. Mon 08 Mar 2010 12:27:09 GMT+1 MagicKirin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=85#comment312 To David and dublin: I wil give you quotes.However before I go through that effort, I want to be assured that if I use say Fox News or the WSJ you are not going to immediatly disregard it. Mon 08 Mar 2010 12:14:04 GMT+1 powermeerkat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=85#comment311 Re SaintDominick: "Good to see the Pakistani government and the ISI cooperating after years of playing cat and mouse with the Bush Administration."It has nothing to to do with "W"'s versus BHO's Administration.More with Islamabad belatedly recognizing that the monster it's created (Taliban) has come back to bite it. I's simply self-preservation at this point. Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:59:43 GMT+1 squirrelist http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=85#comment310 Just for fun, I looked up MRC? and Bozell (the Third, apparently):"The mission of the Media Research Center, "America's Media Watchdog," is to bring balance to the news media. Leaders of America's conservative movement have long believed that within the national news media a strident liberal bias existed that influenced the public's understanding of critical issues. On October 1, 1987, a group of young determined conservatives set out to not only prove — through sound scientific research — that liberal bias in the media does exist and undermines traditional American values, but also to neutralize its impact on the American political scene."(I couldn't actually find any examples of what is usually considered 'sound scientific research' (or 'sound' or 'scientific' or 'research' to be precise) just a lot of the kind of opinions about Limbaugh, Palin, climate change and so on magic giraffes like.) Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:51:49 GMT+1 John_From_Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=84#comment309 # 308 David Murrell wrote:"I am sure that Magic can give us the evidence to support his stance, whether he will rather than reacting in an emotive manner is another thing."David, I applaud your optimism.I am unable, however, to share it... Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:51:12 GMT+1 SaintDominick http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=84#comment308 Ref 300, squirrelist"Basically, I think that company is ripping people off and applying a political motive to get out of being blamed themselves for what I believe in the US is called 'price gouging' and which really has a more truthful name: "profiteering'."Since I have not used propane for decades I can not comment on the specific execise tax (?) or corporate subterfuge mentioned by American Grizzly, but I can tell you that our telephone bills are full of fees of dubious legality. I suspect that some are being used to offset the effects of voters refusing to allow inordinate utility cost increases and enjoy the tacit support of state governments. The fee I mentioned yesterday, which was designed to fund 20th century wars and the Spanish American War of 1898 was legitimate and was put in place at a time when both politicians and the public understood the importance of fiscal responsibility and the need to accept the consequences of our decisions. However, I would be surprised if all the revenues that are being collected actually go to the Federal government....On the other matter, simply consider the source. Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:46:15 GMT+1 David Murrell http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=84#comment307 John & Squirrel – Let’s be kind, Magic has the ability to give reasoned answers; though I don’t always accept the logic behind them I can accept there is a logic. It is a common failing to confuse ones own logic with pure logic, ignoring the fact that humans are incapable of pure logic outside mathematics, even there our understanding is coloured by the human experience and underlying mechanics of the brain.I don’t expect people to accept things which I find logical and obvious because I understand that I can have a rather unique way of looking at things. This is due to my intellect and emotional progression, I expect if I was ten years younger that I would have been diagnosed with some kind of mild aspergers. I can make intuitive leaps, especially in mathematics, which I am incapable of explaining. I have a tendency to take a macro view of things, making connections out of things which to others seem unconnected, from experience I know this can be frustrating (sadly I get a semi-sadistic pleasure out of causing this frustration).I am sure that Magic can give us the evidence to support his stance, whether he will rather than reacting in an emotive manner is another thing. Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:37:53 GMT+1 squirrelist http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=84#comment306 285. At 11:43pm on 07 Mar 2010, AmericanGrizzly wrote:"Obama is only the steward at present. The military has always been doing its job. Along with other government agencies. I bet even the citizens of the UK feel more faith towards their own military than elected officials."To do what, exactly? Not to do what elected civilians do, no. (That's usually called a military coup.) They do wars, mostly. Or peacekeeping after them, preferably. Or help to rescue people from a natural disaster if we're a bit short of people to deal with it otherwise.I'm fascinated as to why Americans are so keen on having their soldiers run things. (Especially as they don't really seem to have been that good at running wars over the last 30 years, or fixing the levees in New Orleans, stopping rivers drying up, stuff like that, but do seem to be consistently absolutely brilliant at demanding, spending and wasting huge amounts of money.) Here's another example:"The administration official says President Barack Obama has chosen retired General Robert Harding to lead the federal agency charged with keeping terrorists and bombs off airplanes.The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement is not yet public." [The current US media way of saying 'this is really just a rumour' or 'one person told us this, who might really know or might not, and we couldn't be bothered to look for anybody to confirm it'. Or even, 'It was a cleaner who overheard a plumber fixing the loo say it who told us.']"Obama's original pick for the TSA job, Erroll Southers, withdrew his name from consideration when it became clear he would face a tough confirmation battle in the Senate. Republican Sen. Jim DeMint had single-handedly blocked Southers' nomination because Southers would not rule out the possibility of allowing TSA workers to unionize." [CNN]So that's a valid reason for picking a General? Gawd give me strength. Would he be expected to call out the National Guard to a union meeting or something? Shoot pickets? That's happened before, hasn't it? Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:36:03 GMT+1 John_From_Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=83#comment305 # 302 MagicKirinny Boy wrote:"ref #271/Jhonny (sic) Boy being against Obama does not make you right wing, merly (sic) rational./why do you insist that only people you disgree (sic - twice) document their comments?/And who made you the arbiter on legitimate sources?"Being rabidly opposed to all Democrats [except Liebermann], anyone who is in any way liberal or progressive, anyone who ever dares question any action or policy of whichever government is currently in power in Israel, anyone who is employed by the State, all trade unions, Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Tutu, former President Carter, and a long list of others too numerous to mention...And rabidly supportive of eg the 'wise' GW Bush & D Cheney....Does not make you 'rational' - merely rightwingAs for your other 'queries' - I don't even read all postings, let alone comment on them. However, you did not make 'comments', you, as is your wont, made assertions of your opinion disguised as facts. I asked what if any basis you had for your assertions, such as "Brent Bozell like Scott Rasmusen [sic] is quite reputable. Certainaly [sic] he can be trusted far more than the George Soros funded Media Matters". As ever, answer came there none, except for a deafening silence. "And who made you the arbiter on legitimate sources?"This is almost amusing - from the person who whines about Wikipedia's bias because they won't let him write their entries on the Middle East.Mr Pot - meet MagicKettle. Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:23:41 GMT+1 squirrelist http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=83#comment304 303. At 10:14am on 08 Mar 2010, David Murrell wrote:"simply knee jerking undermines your own position – I expect better!"Can't think why. . . Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:05:02 GMT+1 John_From_Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=83#comment303 I second the points of the Honourable Gentleman (Mr Murrell) at # 303.With the exception of his last 3 words - 'I expect better!'.When it comes to MK, from bitter experience, in terms of both literacy and logic, I don't expect any better.I think it was the late Sir Peter Ustinov who used to talk of his wartime military experiences, which apparently included seeing assessments that had been written about various officers by their superiors. For some strange reason I am reminded of this one - "He sets himself abysmally low standards, which he signally fails to achieve".... Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:03:50 GMT+1 David Murrell http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=82#comment302 Magic – Two things: 1 – Why the need for the semi-arrogant put down, calling someone boy is pretty contemptuous. Not bothering to check the spelling of someone’s name shows a certain level of disrespect as well, simply reading your post should have shown that you had his name wrong (also calling John, Johnny suggests you are treating him as a child or inferior).2 – You were asked to supply evidence to back up your assertion, which you failed to do, instead you continued with this assertion, whilst suggesting you held some kind of moral/intellectual superiority. If you wish to promote such a superiority then back up your assertions (spell checking might be a bonus, it is only rational after all).All in all if you were trying to prove a point, you succeeded – just not the point you were trying to make. You can be rational (by the way being rational does not mean that opinion is correct, just that it has been reasoned) and make relevant points, simply knee jerking undermines your own position – I expect better! Mon 08 Mar 2010 10:14:53 GMT+1 MagicKirin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=82#comment301 ref #271Jhonny Boy being against Obama does not make you right wing, merly rational.why do you insist that only people you disgree document their comments?And who made you the arbiter on legitimate sources? Mon 08 Mar 2010 09:54:45 GMT+1 David Murrell http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=82#comment300 Well if this board is anything go by then the next election is going to be really nasty. Looks like things got more than slightly charged and personal over the weekend.Let’s face facts guys EVERYONE is racist to some degree or another, fear of the other is a part of our basic psychology. Admitting this to yourself is the first step in overcoming the problem, a bit like alcoholism. Turning around and claiming that someone else is racist does not give you or your social class/ethnicity any moral high ground. So can we stop the whole ‘I’m not racist, *this political person I don’t like* is racist… So there!’For the historical education of our American based colleagues – ‘Red’ Ken was never put forward as a Labour leader, nor was he replaced by the late John Smith. ‘Red’ Ken was the leader of the GLC during the Thatcher years, before she killed it off. The labour leaders at the time were late Michael Foot (one of the last true socialist of British politics) and Neil Kinnock. Neil was replaced by John Smith and had red hair, and was famous for falling over on a beach and disastrously predicting he would win the general election (which was one of the reasons he didn’t).On the leadership/PM yes if you change a leader with a term you will probably have a new election within a couple of years, because a British term is at maximum five years. So while people may, and do vote, for parties based on the leader the truth is in Britain you are voting for your local MP, the political party and the political leader in that order – Unlike the US we don’t get to vote directly for our head of state, which would be the monarch (our constitutional monarchy aint that constitutional)! Mon 08 Mar 2010 09:12:24 GMT+1 squirrelist http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=82#comment299 283. AmericanGrizzly, almighty, StD:Well I did a little Googling, and (from the Connecticut state government site) I found this:"Under current law, a person, firm, or corporation must obtain a certificate of registration from the Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) to legally engage in the retail sale of home heating oil or propane gas (CGS § 16a-23m(a)). Dealers must annually apply for a certificate of registration with the DCP and pay a $ 100 registration fee."Not $100 dollars per customer . . .If there was ever an argument for better consumer protection law in the US (which is the kind of thing I gather Republicans are against) it's what follows:"Proposed Bill 506 prohibits any home heating oil or propane gas dealer from offering any residential customer a guaranteed, prepaid, fixed, or capped contract on or after July 1, 2009.Proposed Bill 5404 requires propane dealers to disclose all delivery and material charges as separate items on their bills and to disclose all such charges at the time of contracting with a customer. A violation is an unfair trade practice.Proposed Bill 5994 requires propane dealers to disclose to residential customers the current price per gallon of propane."So, in Connecticut (and I would suspect other states too), while the customer's bill has to show the actual price of the gas, the supplier can tack on pretty well whatever other charges they like and call them what they like.So, this supplier is, by the look of it, putting the blame for all kinds of 'extras' that make up their profits on 'government regulation' but without being required to actually either itemise them or even distribute the cost proportionately. Well, it's a free market, ass they say.Well, when I order heating oil or a propane tank, the bill might not tell me what the actual cost of either the oil or gas is, but I know what the VATY is, I know what the delivery charge is, and what any suppler has tp pay for safety, fireproofing, training, mandatory insurance and god knows what other perfectly normal costs of running a business I couldn't care less about. That's reflected in the price. But I wouldn't want to deal with a company that tried to pretend all these normal costs of running a business were the 'fault' of the French government.It's as though a company were to add a surcharge to every bill for supplying a first aid kit and an Accident Book in every office, or fitting a tachometer to every delivery tanker, the cost of an HGV licence for the tanker driver, all the things that are required of everybody (I'm using British and European examples, but there must be US equivalents) as though they have to be paid anew on every delivery to each customer.Basically, I think that company is ripping people off and applying a political motive to get out of being blamed themselves for what I believe in the US is called 'price gouging' and which really has a more truthful name: "profiteering'. Mon 08 Mar 2010 08:18:43 GMT+1 KScurmudgeon http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=81#comment298 AmericanGrizzly - and allPlease reread StDom at #229. Too many of us, on this blog and in the country at large, hide from the truth when the explanation takes longer than a soundbite.Preconceptions, also known as prejudices, always get in our way so that we call them reality - but they ain't by their very nature. Keep scrubbing the window. Listen to what the man, Obama, says with at least as much attention as you do his detractors. And don't be so remote from the picture that you lump Obama with the Democrats currently in Congress. They couldn't be more different and still be willing to wear the same tag around their necks. If Obama gets a major change in both houses, and I suspect he will, it will be better for him just as it will be better for the American people. Considering who they are, this pack of idiots leading the House and Senate were a curse for him, and not a benefit.This would be a very different country if, as has been said, we had the sense to question the jingoists and look after our own interests.KScurmudgeon Mon 08 Mar 2010 07:41:33 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=81#comment297 @allmymarbles He is not corrupt enough. Have you noticed how President Obama has cleared the field in NY? Patterson gone, Ford gone, it's Obama's MO...clear the field. Mon 08 Mar 2010 05:30:23 GMT+1 allmymarbles http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=81#comment296 For really dirty politics you have to look at the race for governor of New York. Paterson, the only politician in my memory who has spoken plainly enough to be understood, is being eaten alive by wolves - wolves of his own party. Cuomo will do just about anything to get elected. Poor Paterson. He is the best thing that has happened to New York in a long time. Mon 08 Mar 2010 05:04:47 GMT+1 GH1618 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=81#comment295 TeaPot (#295) "Nobody on either the national or Cal state scene is addressing the regulatory environment that prevents new factories, power plants or transmission lines from getting built. When your government is run by extreme greenies, it should not be surprising that manufacturing jobs migrate to other locations. Will the last manufacturer to leave California please turn out the lights?"An exaggeration. Tesla Motors recently decided to manufacture in California, after considering other southwestern states, to name just one. Mon 08 Mar 2010 02:34:10 GMT+1 TeaPot562 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=80#comment294 Nastiness is not limited to general elections or to either party. In Calif., at least one GOP candidate for governor is spending $millions on attack ads on her primary opponent, also GOP. Apparently attack ads are easier to fit in 30 second sound bites than a positive portrayal of one's own program.Given California's budget difficulties, working the state toward a solution long term would require a major turnover in the legislature -- not going to happen; and a sense of community responsibility by the public employees' unions and their generous early retirement provisions. Since no politician with serious chances to get elected is willing to take that "class" of citizens on, that is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN either. Nobody on either the national or Cal state scene is addressing the regulatory environment that prevents new factories, power plants or transmission lines from getting built. When your government is run by extreme greenies, it should not be surprising that manufacturing jobs migrate to other locations. Will the last manufacturer to leave California please turn out the lights?"The time has come, the walrus said, to speak of many things;of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings;of why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings . . ."(Charles Lutwig Dodson)On the last, we need to check with famed philosopher Nikita Kruschev who opined that certain changes would happen "when pigs fly". Sorry to be so pessimistic.TeaPot562 Mon 08 Mar 2010 02:19:50 GMT+1 GH1618 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=80#comment293 The New York Times is reporting that it appears that someone other than Gadahn was arrested in Pakistan. It has not been confirmed that Gadahn was arrested. Mon 08 Mar 2010 02:12:10 GMT+1 GH1618 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=80#comment292 I'm counting five screen names at once. What's the point of that? Mon 08 Mar 2010 01:20:13 GMT+1 american grizzly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=79#comment291 I agree that like Perot said, if a tax for say to improve roads, use it as such. Don't shift it over to here, over to there. Pay as you go. I agree wholehearted with this approach. It bothers me when govenment uses tactics that deceive, smoke and mirrors. Then when it collapses usually after the culprit is out of office, the reckoning comes. Like this healthcare bill coming say in 2018 as the buzz goes. Nothing is transparent...I think like SALT, trust but verify. I even sit in local town hall meetings and the Democrats sit on one side, the Republicans on the other. The Independents/non-affiliates sit in the back and middle. The consistently oppose each other on local issues much less national. The town suffers. The teachers are the worse, they come and complain, they don't live in the community they serve. So the rest of the towns concerns are of no concern to them. Right now 70% of town property taxes is for education (we have negative population growth at present). The other 30% runs the town. Last year the Democratic council raised taxes, this year, looks like it will be even more. The meeting is soon. I will be there. Not getting better getting worse. When Republicans were in taxes declined, then Democrats got in they increased. Republicans came in they stayed stable, now the Democrats are back in and again they will increase, this meeting will be interesting, of course police will be there. LOL. We independents are like stunned as usual. How did it come to this pendulum getting so twisted, it never hits center any longer. Mon 08 Mar 2010 01:03:17 GMT+1 SaintDominick http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=79#comment290 American GrizzlyI don't doubt what you said about your gas bill. My telephone bill included until very recently a Telephone Federal Excise Fee to pay for the cost of the Spanish-American war! All kidding aside, at least we use to pay for our wars the old fashion way, not too long ago our President paid for part of our adventures in the Persian Gulf region by signing emergency resolutions and adding a few billions to the magical world of unfunded liabilities. It made his budgets look somewhat "conservative", and like he said our liabilities are just IOUs...pieces of paper. Maybe President Obama should give it a try, that gimmick did wonders for his predecessor who didn't have to worry about filibusters, reconciliations or anything else...just an imperial pen. Mon 08 Mar 2010 00:38:12 GMT+1 GH1618 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=79#comment289 LucyIllinois (#278) "I hope they return him to the USA, so he can be interrogated, tried, and executed for treason in a military trial."Treason is a civilian crime. Gadahn is a U. S. Citizen. Almost certainly, he will be tried in civilian court. As for the death penalty, I doubt it. The last treason conviction was 50 years ago, and that case (from WWII), the death sentence was commuted by President Eisenhower. There would be no point to it, in my opinion. Mon 08 Mar 2010 00:33:25 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=79#comment288 284. At 11:42pm on 07 Mar 2010, enoughlies wrote: "None but I did not start the accusations. I'm just playing fair."Nor did I, the original post claimed they were Sarah Palin fans... Mon 08 Mar 2010 00:25:35 GMT+1 american grizzly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=78#comment287 "Well bring in REGULATIONS to prevent that. That would seem like a solution.Do you think the GOP will endorse that?They cut back all the OSHA inspectors. How does that help with whistle blowers in the industries that cause the most health problems for their workers?" ticktockstoptheclock "The Sarbanes–Oxley Act of 2002 (Pub.L. 107-204, 116 Stat. 745, enacted July 30, 2002), also known as the 'Public Company Accounting Reform and Investor Protection Act' (in the Senate) and 'Corporate and Auditing Accountability and Responsibility Act' (in the House) and commonly called Sarbanes–Oxley, Sarbox or SOX, is a United States federal law enacted on July 30, 2002. It is named after sponsors U.S. Senator Paul Sarbanes (D-MD) and U.S. Representative Michael G. Oxley (R-OH)." WikipediaOh, look legislation written by a Democrat and Republican! What will the hacks do now that each party worked together. Lemming hacks of both parties, they both have good people regardless of party label. Just the rabid hacks keep droning on how this one is better, my dog is better than yours. Man it is sickening. Mon 08 Mar 2010 00:11:31 GMT+1 Neal http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=78#comment286 I don't see why it should be nasty, the Democrats will lose, therefore the Congress will be controlled by he Republicans. Obama and the Democrats in Congress have forced things on the citizens as a dictatorship. Come election time it will not be nasty except in the eyes of the Democrats who will lose their shirts. SUPER!! Mon 08 Mar 2010 00:07:46 GMT+1 american grizzly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=78#comment285 "Yet the idea that the problem lies with the Democrats' and Obama's national agenda, not the pollster, seems to elude the Dems, and when it comes to accuracy, one need only look at the results of the 2008 predictions for the 2008 elections to see that Rasmussen led all other pollsters (Gallop was 17th). They are shooting at the messenger, and the messenger is not the problem, the Democrats agenda is what the American public is rejecting." Poltico Don't believe if you want... Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:56:33 GMT+1 american grizzly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=78#comment284 Obama is only the steward at present. The military has always been doing its job. Along with other government agencies. I bet even the citizens of the UK feel more faith towards their own military than elected officials. So I too am glad to see another terrorist get caught. I don't hate Obama, I just don't like his politics and leadership. The government still can function even with him in charge good balance is all. Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:43:07 GMT+1 U14373801 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=77#comment283 "282. At 11:28pm on 07 Mar 2010, csgators wrote:@ticktockstoptheclockSo racism = right wing? What proof do you have he was right wing?"None but I did not start the accusations. I'm just playing fair.Can you tell the truth now?To concentrate on the wing-nuts (not my idea) and forget the mass that has spoken is a really really silly thing to do.It must be easier for those that can "join up and kill a (deleted from a British uniform)" than those that get crazed by the continual denial of equality in the states.And other countries. Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:42:46 GMT+1 american grizzly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=77#comment282 Well the bill is here. I don't surrender personal information on the web. Not on a foreign blog site much less anywhere else. You don't have to believe me. I don't require anything from you, unlike your demands. Check it out yourself. Go research it yourself I don't work for you. I don't give a rats backside what you think. I never said that natural gas comes from the US. Some does, some doesn't. " However, with regulation of wellhead prices, as well as assured monopolies for large transportation pipelines and distribution companies, there was little competition in the marketplace, and incentives to improve service and innovate were few. Regulation of the industry also led to natural gas shortages in the 1970s, and surpluses in the 1980s." Try this website if you like. www.regulations.gov . Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:38:07 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=77#comment281 @ticktockstoptheclockSo racism = right wing? What proof do you have he was right wing? Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:28:48 GMT+1 U14373952 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=76#comment280 276 Please do. Go to the membership page and click away."That guy was one of the worst traitors ever. I hope they return him to the USA, so he can be interrogated, tried, and executed for treason in a military trial."What's the point in that trial?What if the verdict didn't go your way? (I know not likely but some people here get real steamed if you pronounce people guilty without trial. Especially if the "guilty person "is an American Christian.)276 I agree ban those that use the complain button. 272" Thank to whistleblowers, but they always pay the supreme sacrifice, and usually leave. " Well bring in REGULATIONS to prevent that. That would seem like a solution. Do you think the GOP will endorse that?They cut back all the OSHA inspectors. How does that help with whistle blowers in the industries that cause the most health problems for their workers? Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:25:57 GMT+1 LucyJ http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=76#comment279 Sorry about your health care dilemma, St. Dominick. That is rough. Just keep pressing them. Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:25:13 GMT+1 U14373952 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=76#comment278 277. csgators He was a rabid anti semite. No kidding he didn't like or hated Murdock. That is a trait of anti semetism. They hate neocons for being all friendly with Latinos and supporting Israel anytime it asked. But he was no leftie.the other guy did crack. but what do you expect. You all said "wait until you win an election then it will be your turn" then when that happened you all ripped the guts out of democracy and threatened to start a revolution.Then you wonder why someone would loose it. Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:18:21 GMT+1 LucyJ http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=76#comment277 On a positive note, one of the most wanted terrorists was arrested today. Yeaaaahhhhh!!! That's great news, for sure. Good job, Pakistan. That guy was one of the worst traitors ever. I hope they return him to the USA, so he can be interrogated, tried, and executed for treason in a military trial.Saint Dominick, you are probably right about being too harsh. I should be more positive toward President Obama. It is easy to gravitate toward negativity, but it is better and more worthwhile to drift to positivity. I do feel more positive after hearing about that capture.It's easy to get down and hard to get back up. But the USA does not give up and neither will I. I wish lots of luck to President Obama and Congress. I hope that they are able to figure out the best solution for the difficulties facing the people of America- all Americans, not just select groups. We are all Americans. Let's work together for the greater good of America and beyond. God Bless America and her Allies. Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:14:52 GMT+1 csgators http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=75#comment276 @John_From_DublinPoliltics is always a matter of opinion but:Joseph Stack:http://www.newsrealblog.com/2010/02/20/joseph-stack-disillusioned-leftist-not-racist-right-wing-teabagger/muesem shooter:http://michellemalkin.com/2009/06/11/inconvenient-truth-holocaust-museum-shooter-hated-fox-news-murdoch-weekly-standard-possible-target/ Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:05:13 GMT+1 programmercraig http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=75#comment275 BBC, seriously: Please delete my account. I don't see an option to do it myself. And if you've got any sense at all you will delete the accounts of people who abuse the "complain about this comment" feature. First offense, since it only takes a few minutes to create a new account. That won't stop them but it will at least slow them down. Sun 07 Mar 2010 23:04:21 GMT+1 programmercraig http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=75#comment274 By the way, is there a way to delete my account? I don't want to be tempted to ever try to comment here again. Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:57:18 GMT+1 SaintDominick http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=75#comment273 Speaking of extra charges, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that when I talked to the pharmacy they told me that the co-pay for my medication was $23 and my wife's was going to be over $100 because of the insurance company mix up. We both got 5 cough suppressant pills and an antihistamin. After the insurance company corrected the error my wife's co-pay went down to $30. Mine was a little less because I am on MEDICARE and I have supplemental insurance.Am I the only one that thinks we are getting ripped off? Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:56:26 GMT+1 programmercraig http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=74#comment272 My comment defending myself from unjust accusations of racism was moderated? Seriously? But the abusive accusations remain? lol. This is a waste of time. For some reason I expected better than ideologues acting as thought-police on the BBC. Is that what moderation is for? To promote select ideologies, such as people who abusively play the "race card" against anyone they disagree with? I'm outta here. Have fun with all your trolling, mightymouse and others. Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:56:24 GMT+1 american grizzly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=74#comment271 Well I am glad you got your problems straightened out StDom. But I still believe government can make things better. But don't believe it can solve it all. It featherbeds the whole process with cronies and roadblocks many times with layers of bureaucracy. I think a more pragmatic approach is needed, and should be more incremental. Not throw the baby out with the bath water, ram it down your throat healthbill. Sorry you many trust the government, but as a citizen I prefer to keep a watch on it. Hope someone you know doesn't need a mammogram at 40. They will just be a government statistic under this new plan. The old bill still has the same language, it hasn't been rewritten or amended. I believe healthcare should be reformed, but not this way. Sorry to disagree. I spent sometime working directly with government. And yes there are good people, and there is a lot of political favors an corruption. Thank to whistleblowers, but they always pay the supreme sacrifice, and usually leave. Good luck with your health. I hope you all feel better. I will look for land in Nebraska for you, at least we can ride free and let the other 49 states and possessions pay. Deal of the Century Porky Pig lives! Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:56:17 GMT+1 John_From_Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=74#comment270 # 258 MagicKirin wrote"Brent Bozell like Scott Rasmusen [sic] is quite reputable. Certainaly [sic] he can be trusted far more than the George Soros funded Media Matters"Really? And your evidence for this assertion - if any? [Your relentless rightwing bias does not constitute 'evidence'] Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:50:32 GMT+1 U14357051 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=73#comment269 268 Yes it does. it is as I suspected. it is there to provide training so idiots don't light up while serving you. And to make sure there is not too much in the way of contamination."The RegFee is being charged instead of including it in the price per gallon of propane" Bull. If they charged "$18.00 for 2.9 gallons of propane."you got robbed by the company not the feds. Maybe they just do this to re-coop the cost of transport. Let me ask what state are you in. then we can check the authenticity of your claims with the state records on this. If not I will remain very sceptical that a company can charge 3 bucks for propane at the pump (that's about it average for this area at least) but 18 bucks delivered. And you claim the fee is all the increase. Yes hazardous vehicles licence have to be checked, but I suspect you are for not the first time ,not giving us the whole story. Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:50:20 GMT+1 U14357051 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=73#comment268 "264. At 10:30pm on 07 Mar 2010, AmericanGrizzly wrote:An considering pipedream, I did not state that all natural gas comes from the US. Duh, Gazprom...... Man some people are so rude...."Well you should be more clear with your writing"Supposedly propane and natural gas comes right from America's own native supply" Now last I checked Gazprom was not an American concern.MAn you are SOOO rude to twist every word with deceit. Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:43:32 GMT+1 american grizzly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=73#comment267 "Where authorized by law, a RegFee will appear on your invoice. THe RegFee is charged to recover regulatory compliance costs for inplementing policies and procedures, employee training, and equipment purchased to comply with federal and state requirements. The RegFee is being charged instead of including it in the price per gallon of propane." Off the back of the bill.. Hope that satisfies you.. Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:41:09 GMT+1 U14357051 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=73#comment266 258 And where Have I quoted Soros?259 Good piece.263So it is a private company. Now those "regulatory fees. is that a fixed amount? you had two gallons delivered right? How big was your tank?Does the propane magically appear in your tank when you order it. Or do they drive a truck out to your place and only charge you 55 cents per gallon delivery fee? So I ask a question asked before,do you live next door to the depot. Because if you got charged one buck for someone to drive out to your place and deliver two gallons. You should stop complaining. And also can you explain the "regulatory fee" what is it written up as. why is it there. Is it to fund inspections to make sure your propane was not filled with some other less volatile gasses? or more volatile?I suspect you are playing fast and loose with the figures you bring to the table. Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:40:55 GMT+1 dratomic http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=72#comment265 As more people have become locked into smaller and smaller ideas and stopped thinking of the common good, it has gotten worse. As the politicians have stopped working for their constituents and only to pad their resumes and wallets, it has gotten worse. We need to find politicians who are willing to solve problems. As for dogs to vote for I would vote for Grommet, but I assume as a British subject he could not be on the ballot here. Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:40:31 GMT+1 american grizzly http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2010/03/trending_towards_the_nastiest.html?page=72#comment264 John from Dublin, I guess man that flew the plane into the IRS building left some kind of Manifesto. The various news organizations were saying it was communist. I think both are just nuts, along with the Muslim Psy that shot the soldiers. Mixed nuts, none the less seems like no shortage of crazies.... Sun 07 Mar 2010 22:36:18 GMT+1