Comments for http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html en-gb 30 Sun 21 Sep 2014 10:15:06 GMT+1 A feed of user comments from the page found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html flyingfireballxl5 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=99#comment162 mick mccarthy started his manger career with millwalland so did george graham both learn from the best clubin england and the best fans.no body likes us but we don't care . Sat 22 Aug 2009 05:36:01 GMT+1 CityRanger-HeavenIsBlue http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=98#comment161 "Yes he tried to injure Haaland but then he honestly admitted he did"Wow you make him sound so noble, he did not admit it, he gloated about it and did he ever apologise for ruining what was left of the guy's career or any of his other 'honest admissions'? I don't think so. As a footballer he was blessed with skill but as a man the guy was an @rse and any claim he may have had to greatness was dashed on the rocks as far as i am concerned by his less than savoury actions which he "honestly admitted to". Great players of which i list those such as Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Bobby Robson,Gary Lineaker,Ray Wilkins, Colin Bell etc were skillfull but were also honest hard working professionals who personified this on and off the pitch.Roy Keane? The guy was good but he was also a thug. Fri 21 Aug 2009 12:05:01 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=98#comment160 155. At 10:38pm on 19 Aug 2009, GazUtd wrote:I'm leaving too.For entirely different reasons.Are you going to England? You should feel right at home there. Thu 20 Aug 2009 16:38:18 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=97#comment159 159. At 2:47pm on 20 Aug 2009, GazUtd wrote:This time I really do give up.Slan! Thu 20 Aug 2009 14:44:10 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=96#comment158 This time I really do give up. Thu 20 Aug 2009 13:47:26 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=96#comment157 GazUtd;Your latest post is once again the usual mixture of abuse, irrelevancies and ill-thought out hyperbole. To call Mick McCarthy a donkey and a moron is up to the usual high standards of your wit but, obviously, if you had read Roy Keane’s autobiography you would have seen that he managed to fail his Inter Cert. For those of you who are not Irish this is equivalent to the O-levels in Britain. I am not sure how the British exam is structured but in Ireland you have a choice between doing honours or pass exams in each subject. Basically if you do the pass subjects you should be able to reach the required level by being able to read, write, multiply and divide. I will leave it to the readers (those who are left, if any) to decide who would be more worthy of those epithets.This has nothing to do with “who do you like more”. Your contribution to the argument is that you like Roy and dislike Mick. Your reasons for doing so are that Roy played for Manchester United and Mick did not. I would expect this from a young child but, if you are going to put your opinions in a public forum be sure that you are expected to engage on a more mature level. If you are going to engage in criticism of any individual at least try and base it on the facts and not on your prejudices. You have entirely accepted Roy Keane’s version of his reasons for his tirade against Mick McCarthy in Saipan. The reasons he gave were self-serving and ignored the basic facts. My reason for bringing up the handshake with Kenny Dalglish was to show that the word of Roy Keane means nothing. He did not behave honourably on that and many other occasions and, therefore, if you are a rational human being you have to consider this in relation to the events at the 2002 World Cup. Where I come from a man’s word is his bond and doubly so when it is accompanied with a handshake. You obviously are from different stock.One other thing. Do not put words in my mouth. I have no particular feelings towards Roy Keane one way or the other. I do not regard him as the anti-christ as you put it. I have some great friends who are from Cork and, when it comes to the GAA, would prefer to see Cork win the All-Ireland if my county couldn’t. I do not hate Manchester United. Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time, bar none. United have always striven to play good football and you are almost always guaranteed good football when they are involved. If it was not a good game you can be sure it wasn’t down to United. However you claim that Roy is too honest for his own good and give 3 examples.The handshake with Kenny – His agreement to join Blackburn was in the public domain long before his autobiography. How could he deny it?The deliberate attempt to injure Haaland – Anyone with eyes could have seen this. Again, how could he deny it?Walking out on Sunderland – How do you know he was being honest? I would wager that you have never met either Roy Keane or Mick McCarthy in person. This debate started when you bad-mouthed Mick in a previous blog. I defended his character and, in passing, mentioned Roy Keane as it was clear this was the reason for your dislike. When trying to ascertain a persons character you need to look at their actions. Every fact that I have advanced is provable in regards to Roy Keane. However, only Roy Keane himself can know the real reasons for his Saipan tirade. Therefore, you can only look at this in relation to his previous and subsequent actions. I think anyone who has had even a passing interest in the career of Mr. Keane could easily draw their own conclusions on whether to believe his subsequent explanations. Thu 20 Aug 2009 13:43:55 GMT+1 Sumatran_Tiger http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=95#comment156 Well OK Robbo it's a fair cop...not just top 4, but Spurs for Champions after they demolished Hull "Norwich in disguise" City 5-1. (or were we Everton in disguise?). After my comments on your blog of last week I am now having a large slice of humble pie.Re other postings: I am glad I left the country too. Yours in despair...still there are 36 games left and 10 days until the transfer window closes.PS. Man City can have Hull City's entire defence for 22 million quid! Thu 20 Aug 2009 01:11:41 GMT+1 TrotterUSA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=95#comment155 I just got back, yikes! Wait no, I'm already out of the country, there's no escape. I fancy Spurs for top 3, remember where you heard it first! Wed 19 Aug 2009 23:02:15 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=94#comment154 I'm leaving too.For entirely different reasons. Wed 19 Aug 2009 21:38:58 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=93#comment153 Gawd. Now we've all got to endure Robbo and the Spurs stuff.I'm leaving the country. Wed 19 Aug 2009 21:36:24 GMT+1 TrotterUSA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=93#comment152 Well, there's a turn up. Still, Ralph Coates had a Bobby Charlton before Bobby Charlton had a Bobby Charlton so you can't take it away from the lads. Funny old game. Wed 19 Aug 2009 21:25:21 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=92#comment151 Gladys Neville's on now!----Once that happened I knew all hope was lost. Wed 19 Aug 2009 20:30:23 GMT+1 oldstafford http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=92#comment150 #149Both quite a lot smaller than Barry.#150Gladys Neville's on now! Wed 19 Aug 2009 20:22:48 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=91#comment149 Is there any chance Supergran is available for the 2nd half at Turf Moor? Wed 19 Aug 2009 19:53:12 GMT+1 TrotterUSA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=90#comment148 148SuperGran is twice the man that Kathy Ireland will ever be! Wed 19 Aug 2009 19:48:12 GMT+1 oldstafford http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=90#comment147 #147I am ashamed and truly sorry, I was just trying to get off the subject of Keane, McCarthy and Ireland (Stephen) but then I realise so are you....Although now I'm thinking Roy Keane or Supergran??Ok I'll leave it! Wed 19 Aug 2009 18:30:17 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=89#comment146 Look this all started with Roy Keane calling Mick McCarthy a granny who definitely wasn't super so I whoever brought Supergran into it should be ashamed of themselves.I warned you all a while ago not to get involved with 2 Irish men (?) arguing but you wouldn't listen would you!So what has started as a "who do you like more, Roy or Mick" debate has degenerated into a pub argument, if the pub is in Austria and full of pshychologists.Look Ira, I think Roy is 100 times the player and the man that McCarthy is, I am never going to like McCarthy and you are not going to change my opinion on the grey-haired, by-heck, donkey, illiterate moron. (Hey if you are going to start calling people names you may as well do it properly)You clearly think Roy is some sort of Anti-Christ sent from Cork to lay waste to us all. A lot of people think that about Cork people funnily enough. The one thing I will say is that Roy is simply too honest for his own good. Yes he shook hands with Kenny, then he honestly admitted that this happened and he couldn't refuse the biggest club in the world (don't start all you Pool fans). Yes he tried to injure Haaland but then he honestly admitted he did. Yes he walked out on Sunderland, but then he honestly admitted why. Now how many other people in football have done the previous three things? Quite a lot I would wager. How many have been honest enough to admit to any of them? I can't think of anyone else. Roy is not perfect, no one is, but at least he is honest about it. Wed 19 Aug 2009 18:02:22 GMT+1 TrotterUSA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=88#comment145 #145I'm in a bit of a rush but you can't base this on the manager's decision at that time any more than I could say he was saving George for the big game they had coming up three days later.These things are so subjective, let's agree to disagree. I think GB was the best ever and you thing SG was better. Your opinion is just as valid as mine. Wed 19 Aug 2009 17:53:01 GMT+1 oldstafford http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=88#comment144 #139If you're using that argument then how do you know whether Supergran would not have surpassed GB's achievements at United if she had been given the chance. Unfortunately we will never know the outcome of either of the scenarios.I do hope this debate doesn't get to the same level that GazUtd's and the ira's has gotten to. I was merely pointing out that surely you would pick the better player in that situation and the manager went for Supergran....and they won. Wed 19 Aug 2009 17:31:00 GMT+1 TrotterUSA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=87#comment143 Zoot, I didn't know I was a Benthamite either but if you say so it must be so!There must be a subtle difference between the most people being happy at the success of one team and the most people being happy at the failure of one team. I can only applaud those who applaud. Stuart/Stewart, who cares? We all knew who you meant (cough cough). Wed 19 Aug 2009 17:18:58 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=87#comment142 John Stuart Mill. Dammit. And here was me trying to be all profound, and everything. Wed 19 Aug 2009 17:08:00 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=86#comment141 Trotter - you hope ManU win "simply because they are the best supported club in the world and their success will therefore make the most people happy!". Utilitarianism, as advocated by Jeremy Bentham and John Stewart Mill, preached "the greatest happiness of the greatest number" as being mankind's number 1 goal. I didn't know that you were such a keen Benthamite.The problem with your logic, of course, is that most football supporters may well feel some antipathy towards ManU, so you should be seeking ManU's complete and utter destruction as a means of securing "the greatest happiness of the greatest number".It would also preserve the motorways from the possible effects of Gaz's Merseyside danglers.Sorry about all this. I've been following Gaz and Irn_Bru, so I'm becoming all philosophical and logical.Your Supergran v GB analysis is MUCH more sound. Indeed, it's downright impressive. Wed 19 Aug 2009 16:50:29 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=85#comment140 GazUtd:It appears we were both wrong. Apparently the zygote did it! Wed 19 Aug 2009 16:25:12 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=85#comment139 GazUtd:Maybe I am the "epitome" of someone who can spell.Let us deal with the facts. You are constantly introducing irrelevancies into the argument. Just because you disagree with something does not make it wrong. It is merely a difference of opinion.To take your points in order:1. Can you give me even one example of where I pointed out “rubbish that never happened”? Was it one of the following?a) Roy Keane wanted to go home from Saipan because of personal reasons and injury concerns. You have already conceded this happened in a previous post.b) Roy Keane shook hands with Kenny Dalglish on a deal to join Blackburn Rovers. He admitted this in his autobiography. You should read it. It is badly written but gives a good insight into the character of Roy Keane. Other insights which appeared in that book were that he was involved in a brawl with Irish supporters, once threw a pint of lager over a lady with whom he had a difference of opinion and then proceeded to brawl with her husband, and once (eureka moment!) told Mick McCarthy to “go ****” himself when Mick (as captain) confronted him about arriving late and drunk for the team bus. These are only some of the delightful details that Roy wanted to share with us. This list is not exhaustive, and I am only recalling from memory but I think you can get the gist of it.2. Whether Roy Keane is or is not the best player to play for Ireland is completely irrelevant to the issue. He would definitely be in my top 5 but I have always thought that Paul McGrath should have that honour. As regards George Best I cannot comment as I never saw him play in the flesh. But, whatever, it is not material to the issue at hand. 3. For a team that was so badly prepared and had been badly disrupted by its most established player Ireland did not do too badly. They drew with Germany, Cameroon and Spain and beat Saudi Arabia. In the three drawn games they came from behind to get the draw which is a sign of a team with great spirit. I often wondered if this was because Roy Keane was SENT HOME as you so helpfully pointed out in capital letters in a previous post. 4. So Roy consistently suffers from being too honest for his own good. Could you give me an example of that? Was it when he shook hands with Kenny? Was it when he told Mick he wanted to go home because of personal reasons and because of his “troublesome” knee? Was it when he walked out on Sunderland?5. I never said that Stephen and Roy’s situations cancelled each other out. I was merely comparing the Manchester United supporters response to Stephens case (“numpty, “full apology” etc.) to how they perceived the Roy Keane situation (KeanoGod16 I believe).6. Where does it show that I have a “hatred” as you put it of Roy Keane and Manchester United? If it is in any of my posts I will gladly retract it and apologise. But of course it is not. I know this because it isn’t true. As a rational human being I am capable of deciding for myself the facts of a particular case. It may suit you to believe that hatred is the reason for my opinion as otherwise it would mean you would have to confront the facts in this case and that would take you out of your cosy “Manchester United are great because I support them” viewpoint. I am capable of dissociating Roy Keane the footballer from Roy Keane the man. Fine footballer but flawed human being (as we all are). Most Manchester United supporters seem to be incapable of making this distinction. 7. I never said you called me names but off the top of my head from your previous posts I can recall you comparing Mick McCarthy to a “blind goat”!? (no me neither), and said he was an “ignorant *********”. You also used the following terms, “drunken Australian with an IQ of 20”, “numpty”. Again you get the picture.8. Several of your previous posts also went along the lines of “I’m right and your wrong” so there. A true master of the debating arts obviously. Wed 19 Aug 2009 16:20:23 GMT+1 TrotterUSA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=84#comment138 138The scenario you describe doesn't allow us to reach the conclusion that "he couldn't have been that good."It could have been the case that had GB been sent on instead of SuperGran, their team may well have won even more convincingly. Wed 19 Aug 2009 16:17:16 GMT+1 oldstafford http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=84#comment137 #137 Too young to have seen GB play in his heyday (just) but I vaguely remember seeing him on a childrens programme called SuperGran! As I recall he was sitting on the bench and his team were losing with only minutes to go. Everybody assumed he would be called upon to turn the game around and therefore become the hero. Unfortunately for him they put SuperGran on instead and she single-handedly won the game - so he couldn't have been that good. I don't know whether it was true but I heard a rumour that her surname was Ireland...What? No-one else is actually commenting on the blog anymore...(Good blog as usual Robbo). Wed 19 Aug 2009 15:47:46 GMT+1 TrotterUSA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=83#comment136 Gaz, how are you mate? I reckon Georgie was the best ever and Pele agreed! Because of him (GB not Pele) I begged my ald man to take me to Old Trafford instead of Burnden Park but alas, the black peas were a greater draw. Nevertheless, my soft spot for ManU was there and I had my GB stylo matchmaker boots by my 8th birthday (no Trotters had comercial endorsements in those days, except maybe for Woodbines or Capstan Full Strength).Nowadays, I still hope ManU win everything, simply because they're the best supported club in the world and their success will therefore make the most people happy! Wed 19 Aug 2009 15:06:10 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=82#comment135 Ira you are the epitomy of a... well I don't know what I can call you the epitomy of without needlessly insulting a particular group.There is no point answering anything you ask because you do not accept the answer. You continually point out rubbish that never happened, just because you believe it did doesn't mean it actually did. The simple facts of the matter are this...1. Roy Keane is the best player that has ever came from The Republic of Ireland, a certain George Best lays claim to the best from this island.2. Mick McCarthy and the FAI who appointed him were responsible for a complete farce of preparation and participation in the biggest sporting competition in the world.3. Roy Keane consistently suffers from being too honest for his own good.4. The Stephen Ireland / Roy Keane sagas are two completely different arguments, people like you constantly link things like this together because you are incapable of having a proper debate about one thing. It's the classic defence and transference syndrome. To put it as simply as I can for you it IS possible to criticise Stephen Ireland and at the same time support Roy Keane, one does not cancel out the other.5. The simple fact that you put one ounce of faith or belief in the Genesis report shows exactly how stupid you are. This report is almost universally recognised as being a complete whitewash and nothing but a joke. For Gods sake the FAI appointed Steve Staunton after it.It is very obvious that you have a hatred for Roy Keane and Man Utd, this hatred means you are unable to see or even listen to facts or different points of view when they are presented to you.Now I fully expect the "that's what you do, you're worse than me" argument from you because you are incapable of anything else. Even after I continually answered whatever you ask you keep asking it and when I ask you or point out anything to you you either say I am calling you names, which I didn't but you did, or some other rubbish. Wed 19 Aug 2009 14:17:20 GMT+1 TrotterUSA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=82#comment134 RBA 127 chuckle chuckle chuckle.Zoot, I didn't need to pick up on the beach, I took my own. This also precludes the need for me to go shopping for fancy blue collared polo shirts. When's the cruise anyway?It has also occurred to me that the cock is France's answer to our three lions, no wonder Wenger feels right at home at Goodison Park. If they lose another like that this Hurricane Bill (possibly en route to Bermuda)will have a last name....Kenwright! Moyes might be left playing the triangle. Wed 19 Aug 2009 14:14:12 GMT+1 Spitfire http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=81#comment133 Gaz and Ira, you two get a room already. Luckily, neither of you would have to take a ferry to meet up. Wed 19 Aug 2009 13:47:47 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=80#comment132 GazUtdTo the more serious matter of Stephen Ireland and Roy Keane. My point is that he told Mick McCarthy originally that he was quitting the squad because of "personal reasons" and because of his troublesome knee. When Mick accepted this and called up Colin Healy as a replacement Roy (for whatever reason) decided that he did not want to go home after all so a) his personal problems had diminished and b) his troublesome knee had miraculously improved. When the "Showdown at the Saipan Corral" took place Roy did not mention anything about the mismanagement of the FAI. It was an extremely personal attack on Mick McCarthy as a person not as manager of the Irish team. This is clearly demonstrated because a large part of the tirade was aimed at Mick’s skills (or lack of them) as a player. How this impacted on his ability to manage I'm not quite sure. Alex Ferguson admitted that he himself was no great shakes as a player, Arsene Wenger never played at a professional level and neither did Jose Mourinho.When I pointed out that Roy Keane (in his own autobiography) had admitted to shaking hands with Kenny Dalglish on a deal to join Blackburn Rovers it showed that his word (and his handshake) could not be taken at face value and, therefore, his reasons for his disaffection should also be looked at in that light. I would not blame anybody for coming up with an excuse that reflected well on themselves and shifted the blame to somebody else. This is especially effective where you can blame an organisation rather than a person as it cannot be taken personally by any individual. However, when those of us who are removed from what happened try to glean the truth of it, it is important to consider the facts but also (and more importantly) to consider the character of the protagonists.As far as I can recall the Genesis report (which was very critical of the FAI) concluded that Roy Keane had no intention of playing in the World Cup.For anyone, therefore, to criticise Stephen Ireland for his resignation from the Irish squad and demand an apology whilst refusing to face the facts about Roy Keane is, at best, being disingenuous and, at worst, dishonest. Wed 19 Aug 2009 13:30:01 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=80#comment131 GazUtd,As ever failing to see the point and arguing about something that is of no relevance whatsoever. Whether the Irish language is dead or not is not important. You made certain claims about what my username stood for and I was merely pointing out that it does not mean "anybody but United". You appear to be suffering from what I believe is known as "post colonial guilt" whereby inhabitants of the newly independent country believe their own culture and language is inferior to their recently departed rulers. This was a deliberate ploy of all colonial powers (and not just the British) to keep the natives down so they would not object to their economic assets being exploited.Also, for a person who is quick to notice a humour deficit in another, you appear strangely lacking in the quality yourself. Wed 19 Aug 2009 13:29:36 GMT+1 spurs_happy http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=79#comment130 you have hit it on the nose robbo Wed 19 Aug 2009 13:02:32 GMT+1 RedBlueArmy92 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=79#comment129 I was mistaken for a Farnborough fan once so i know exactly what old eastlancmanc is going through... And its the sort of thing you never get over! Wed 19 Aug 2009 10:44:38 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=78#comment128 127 RedBlue:I've recently given eastlancsmanc a free transfer to City, and he's still traumatised. I thought if I said something remotely sensible about footy, about which he would vehemently disagree, it might bring him round.No word of him yet. I think it's all been too much. Wed 19 Aug 2009 10:21:12 GMT+1 chips_in_the_queue http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=77#comment127 119. DixieandPeleI'm afraid I can't take your comment seriously. Ferguson is one of the greatest managers ever and he has proven himself time after time.- You are saying that because Ferguson did what he did in the Scottish league, on a shoe-string, it bears no relevance whatsoever to his ability as a manager in England? - You are suggesting that Ferguson is an average manager who has only achieved what he has achieved because of money? (how about his continual faith in young players?)- You are saying that Manchester United's transformation only occurred because of 'kit revenues'?!!- And perhaps best of all, you are suggesting that Ferguson's scouting is limited to who is 'talk of the town' or who has 'caught the eye of the Media'. I don't need to argue against you on any of these points because when singled out, they do look rather silly don't they? Besides, your last paragraph nullifies any semblence of credibility your 'arguments' may have had. Wed 19 Aug 2009 10:14:41 GMT+1 RedBlueArmy92 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=77#comment126 Post 126: Zootmac:"Chelsea picking up momentum now. I find it difficult to see them dropping points from their first ten games, and after that they'll be difficult to dislodge."This is hardly the place to be discussing such matters! Wed 19 Aug 2009 09:51:38 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=76#comment125 Trotter - you're just back from Bermuda, and all you can think of is Robbo's blog? It's little wonder that all you could pick up on the beach are gran's chums, and Indy in his doteage. Just in passing, from your recent experience, would you say that the cock on Moyes' back is inside the Bermuda Triangle? If it's not there next week, we'll know why.Chelsea picking up momentum now. I find it difficult to see them dropping points from their first ten games, and after that they'll be difficult to dislodge. Wed 19 Aug 2009 08:42:25 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=76#comment124 118 eastlancsmancHeartfelt apologies. You see? Dense.122 Irn_BruAs if I could forget the Tallaght Band! The mayonnaise joke on the Band Joke website is one of my favourites. I remembered it when I read Gaz's reference to "flying seamen". (The a is silent, my Irish friends). Tue 18 Aug 2009 22:07:44 GMT+1 TrotterUSA http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=75#comment123 Lovely to get the season rolling, great blog Robbo. Shame about my season opening with a defeat but as ever, I'll settle for top 17!!!I've just dashed back from Bermuda full of the excitement of anticipation at the prospect of reading your blog. As it happens I was on the beach with Indiana Jones and a few younger friends of Zoot's Granny and oh, Gaz, there wasn't a crumb of fried grub in sight!I reckon Spurs might be a decent price for a top four spot but I'd only put your cash on that one. Top 6 more like it but time will tell us all. The over-riding fact is that nobody cares what I think or what drivel I spout....you on the other hand.......Wenger is saying "David, do you know there is a picture of a cock on your back?" Tue 18 Aug 2009 22:05:12 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=74#comment122 I really do give up this time. What bloody questions posed have I not answered? I thought we got to the bottom of this. I'm right, you're wrong. Is it really that hard to understand?And as for the Irish language I couldn't give two flying seamen. It's a stupid dead language that is only spoken by people who think it makes them more Irish than people who don't. It is of no value to anyone and does nothing but waste taxpayers money keeping up the ridiculious charade that we are a two language nation. Tue 18 Aug 2009 19:18:27 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=74#comment121 Zootmac,Don't forget the Irish group the Tallaght Band that were arrested at the UK border and sent to Guantanamo Bay. (the ght is silent my English friends).GazUtd:Another post that failed to address the questions posed and an admission that you yield to superior forces. This reminds me of the story of the Manchester United supporter (complete with latest kit as per corporate instructions) who was walking through the jungle when he was pounced upon and eaten by a lion. Later, the lion recounted his tale to his friend and said that in spite of his meal he still felt hungry. His friend replied "Your mistake was when you jumped on him you knocked the wind out of him. After that all you're left with are boots and buckle."I must also take you up on your previous post where you used the term abu before the item that it referred to. In the Irish language abu can only come after that which it refers to. For intance, in English it would be equivalent to saying "GazUtd is intelligent very". You see? That just doesn't make any sense does it? Tue 18 Aug 2009 19:07:16 GMT+1 Spitfire http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=73#comment120 Of all things revolting that is Phil Brown, he does dress up.Its the gawd aw-full patch of skin that protrudes out of the shirt is abhorrent. Tue 18 Aug 2009 18:37:35 GMT+1 vanjoh http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=73#comment119 So anyway, the pic at the top...Wenger's saying: "Look, David, if you want to break into the top four then you're going to have to wear a shirt and tie. I do, Alex does, Rafa does, Carlo does..."Which prompts the following question: who is the worst dressed manager in the Premiership?Tough one. [Scratches head] There's something about Phil Brown that makes you look twice - and not in a good way. He gets my vote. Tue 18 Aug 2009 18:09:29 GMT+1 DixieandPele http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=72#comment118 At 10:42am on 18 Aug 2009, chips_in_the_queue wrote:He did pretty well when he managed Aberdeen, breaking the 'Old Firm' dominance and winning a European trophy. I think he could probably do a decent job if he was at Everton!Oh come on ! You're talking of quite a different league, a different era, and who knew back then what kind of money any team or individual players enjoyed. Everton even had the good fortune to win the Cup Winners Cup around that same time. Fergie, was out of his depth at Old Trafford in the First Division until the kit revenues started cascading in and has never looked back. I can remember an Everton team beating Man Utd at Old Trafford by a score of 5-0 before the shirt deal was thought up by some slick marketeers ! Fergie has sought players because they were 'the talk of the town' only to dispense with them when his interest waned and someone else had caught the eye of the Media. He couldn't get his hands on Hargreaves fast enough and then look what happened, and that goes for a lot of players he couldn't get to perform as before though that was never mentioned as the reason for their eventual transfers. He's like a spoiled brat in a candy store, and with his resources he will even go so far as to pick up Michael Owen for free just to keep him from his competitors, why ? because he has the resources to do it and enjoys ramming it down the throats of the other Premiership managers. I've never been able to fathom how he received a knighthood when Liverpool FC before him had a manager who set the bar for excellence that he has salivated over and has striven to achieve with his millions to spend. Too bad Buckingham Palace doesn't have a branch operation down by the Mersey, if that could possibly have been the sole reason for it. I'm glad you said 'probably'. Tue 18 Aug 2009 18:00:51 GMT+1 eastlancsmanc LUHG http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=71#comment117 99. At 4:28pm on 18 Aug 2009, Zootmac wrote:95 eastlandsmanc"... back on "Top Gear" soon, only this time with Clarkson..." would have been more sympathetic towards my rapidly failing capacities. Although conjuring up the image of Clarkson mounting Usain Bolt and murmering "It moves...like a dream" is actually quite distressing.Thank heaven's for the nine o'clock watershed. I'll be in bed with my cocoa if it ever appears on telly.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Aaaargh!!!You called me eastlandsmanc. Do you realize how traumatized I now feel, and that I am casting about for someone to sue......eastlancsmanc, that's me!! Red forever. Tue 18 Aug 2009 17:49:29 GMT+1 vanjoh http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=71#comment116 Highbury? Er, make that The Emirates. I'm living in the past... Tue 18 Aug 2009 17:36:07 GMT+1 Robbo Robson http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=70#comment115 112. At 5:50pm on 18 Aug 2009, MarkusVanBasten wrote:Incidentally, a penny for your thought as to what Wenger is saying to Mayes there? Hardly "Well played". Maybe "So, have you thought about that Senderos deal?"._________________________________________________________________________I suggest a variant on that: 'If you need another P***-poor defender, Senderos is still available.'Or perhaps he's just saying "do what I do - preetend you never saw any of it." Tue 18 Aug 2009 17:33:22 GMT+1 vanjoh http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=69#comment114 Ref 112... Yeah, good point, MarkusvanBasten, what are they saying in the pic at the top?It's pre-match and I like to think Wenger is saying "OK, you let us win 6-1 today, and we'll let you win 6-1 at Highbury". And I'm not just saying that because I'm an Everton supporter. No way. Tue 18 Aug 2009 17:23:27 GMT+1 oncearedalways54 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=69#comment113 Good Blog Robbo - I especially like the description of Fabragas's second as... "It was like a late effort in a three-a-side kickabout on a full-size pitch" -you were spot on with this - watching on MOTD (and because of the narrow view provided by cameras following the ball) I actually thought that the Everton players had left the pitch!I feel sorry for David Moyes, he is as they say 'p.....ing against the wind' and somebody should have advised him (before now) to hike up the price as high as possible, before the season started and/or in the meantime keep Lescott on the bench - as SAF threathened to do with Ronaldo last year.His present position is untenable and after the 'thumping' by Arsenal somewhat humiliating - he does'nt deserve that! Tue 18 Aug 2009 17:05:56 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=68#comment112 Oh I give up!Well I don't really but I thought that would add to the dramatic effect.Of course you need validation from out English superiors Ira (if that is indeed your real name), every Irishman does. That have done nothing throughout the ages other than try to show us the way, much like a bigger brother really. Unless you were Jermaine. Or Tito.I would like to say we will agree to disagree but as TommyTheOnion or was it BeyondThePaleOfComprehension said the other day... I am always right. Which makes you wrong. Sorry, but that's just the way it is, they are English (well I am sure they must be because they are both Pool supporters and no Pool supporter has ever come from outside spitting distance of The Mersey) so therefore their opinions outweigh yours.And to prove how superior the English are I spent ages trying to come up with another funny-named relative but couldn't and then Zoot shot in there with Alky Eda. Quality as ever Zoot. Although Zoot might be Scottish, in which case that's a whole different ball game, the Welsh will be in next with their sheep shearing skills. Yes I said shearing. Tue 18 Aug 2009 16:55:31 GMT+1 MarkusVanBasten http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=68#comment111 In all fairness to Linford (and Usain), what else is there to say about running the 100m but 'The gun went off and I legged it'.Incidentally, a penny for your thought as to what Wenger is saying to Mayes there? Hardly "Well played". Maybe "So, have you thought about that Senderos deal?". Tue 18 Aug 2009 16:50:19 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=67#comment110 GazUtd, I am beginning to suspect I am dealing less with a fellow adult and more with a rather unruly child with access to a computer. It does not matter if someone else pointed it out last week. That does not make the point invalid. You did not explain why the reasons for his disgruntlement changed between his initial walking out (just because he did not physically walk out does not invalidate the claim) and the reasons he subsequently gave after (like said unruly child) he was sent home. Either he did not tell Mick McCarthy his true concerns initially or he was being economical with the truth subsequently. To help you decide perhaps you would consider the following. Roy Keane shook hands with Kenny Dalglish when he agreed to join Blackburn Rovers.Perhaps my humour is too subtle for you to understand. To accuse another of being humourless reflects more on the person making the claim than the subject of said claim. Nevertheless I would like to point out the following:1. I do not need validation for my point of view from our English superiors as you call them2. It is more likely that the zloty did it3. Are castrated pigs disgruntled? Tue 18 Aug 2009 16:41:22 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=66#comment109 Ref 105 GazNOT the liquorice variety? That has brought some comfit to me.Ref 106 RedBlueMy tipsy gran, Alky Eda, also had this problem. Bin laden with empties, dodgy videos, you name it. Tue 18 Aug 2009 16:38:13 GMT+1 Wayne http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=66#comment108 Yeh I was a bit surprised to hear he was a Man U fan...most of my Jamaican mates or family support London teams...mostly Arsenal with a few, like me...following Spurs.The sprint training must have worked cos Ronaldo did a runner pretty sharpish!! Tue 18 Aug 2009 16:32:10 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=65#comment107 Yep WHW it happened. Bolt, who proclaims to be a United fan after some sort of run in with a Ruud Van Nistelrooy jersey (no I don't know either) was at United training ground last May where he gave sprinting tips to none other than Ronaldo.Whether the rumour that Ronaldo asked for them because he was about to tell Fergie he was definitely going to Madrid is true or not remains to be seen. Tue 18 Aug 2009 16:19:52 GMT+1 Wayne http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=65#comment106 Thanks, Gerrardswhiskers I though for a minute Robbo was enforcing the age old stereotype that all black people like fried chicken...for once reading a Daily Mirror article actually enlightened me!!Also what happened about Usain Bolt training Man Utd at sprinting?Did that ever happen or was it just media hype as he was due to be in Manchester... Tue 18 Aug 2009 16:15:48 GMT+1 RedBlueArmy92 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=64#comment105 101 (point three): Don't take it too personally mate... my freind Alan Qaeda had simmilar problems for years... Tue 18 Aug 2009 16:01:41 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=63#comment104 Zoot you should attend a few caravan sites around these parts and wait for the Rozzers to show up. Many a munchkin has broken the 8 second barrier while carrying all sorts. And not the liqourice variety. Tue 18 Aug 2009 15:57:18 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=63#comment103 Ira I said you were anti a footie team, not football as a whole. Of course you denied it the other day, I mean it's not like a Leeds fan would have a dislike of United.And it's amazing how you quoted the exact same thing as someone else last week, yet you seem to have conveniently forgotten how it was pointed out that Roy did say that initially, then after talking to his friends (look it up) and family he decided that the best thing to do for his country was try to play on. Unfortunately, like the winner he is, he couldn't stand the playground FAI facilities while the usual fat-cats dined on fois-gras. He approaced his boss about this and his boss didn't like it so he sent him home. Read on in your quoted article and you will find this out. Who would ever think that actually reading to the end of a book could pay off. If you ever get through the dictionary you'll find out the zebra did it.And I can't find where I called anyone a name, I was suggesting that Stephen Ireland admitted himself that he was a numpty. Oops, I've used it again, sorry, don't like leaving you without one of your favourite words.Anyway you seem o have the JoeDavisRoach knack of missing the humour in anything, surprising for a Leeds fan, so I'm afradi there's not much more I can do.We await with bated breath to see which one of us our English superiors judges the winner. Come on you Brits, I always loved your Margaret Churchill! (Or should that be abu Brits?) Tue 18 Aug 2009 15:55:31 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=62#comment102 When the giant Cuban, Alberto Juantorena, destroyed the fields to win Olympic golds in 1976 in the 400m and 800m events, much was made of this being a definitive moment in athletics. "The era of the small man is finished..." was a standard response. Then came Sebastian Coe...When, in the mid-seventies, Filbert Bayi of Tanzania won every middle distance event in sight, smashing world records with astonishing frequency, Ron Pickering asked Brendan Foster if Bayi had "brought a new dimension to middle distance running", Foster replied, "No. He just runs faster."Usain is fabulous, but his performances are not necessarily definitive. I expect to see Arnold Munchkin make an appearance soon and break the nine second mark for the 100m.You heard it here first. Tue 18 Aug 2009 15:50:41 GMT+1 gay fish http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=61#comment101 100. At 4:30pm on 18 Aug 2009, white_hart_wayne wrote:Robbo...please explain the comment"I've not seen a better advert for fried chicken."Well I'm not Robbo but here you go, '"I woke around 11am and decided to watch some TV and had some nuggets."Then I slept for a couple of hours more. Then I got some more nuggets and came to the track." 'When Bolt was at the Olympics he wasn't too sure about the local food, which I am sure we would all rather eat, so he would have nuggets as it was the only thing they served in the Olympic village that he knew that he liked. Read more here:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/08/18/olympic-100m-hero-usain-bolt-powered-by-chicken-nuggets-and-yams-115875-20702431/Kind of makes a mockery of Jamie's school dinners doesn't it....but then before all the kids go out and eat them this bloke has to consume a huge amount of calories every day just to keep moving...so he has an excuse. Tue 18 Aug 2009 15:46:56 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=61#comment100 GazUtd,A number of other points:1. Abu is not a mythical term. It is used in everyday conversations between native Irish speakers and is used in the context of being an exhortation to ones team. For instance United abu! would translate as "Come on United". Do a little research next time.2. I am not "anti footie" as you put it. I played the game at a reasonable level as an adult for approximately 25 years. (although I do follow the fortunes of Leeds Utd. in which case the term probably has some meaning)3. Ira is my middle name (funnily enough for an Irishman)Now that that is out of the way perhaps we can concentrate on the matters at hand. Tue 18 Aug 2009 15:43:22 GMT+1 Wayne http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=60#comment99 Robbo...please explain the comment"I've not seen a better advert for fried chicken." Tue 18 Aug 2009 15:30:36 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=60#comment98 95 eastlandsmanc"... back on "Top Gear" soon, only this time with Clarkson..." would have been more sympathetic towards my rapidly failing capacities. Although conjuring up the image of Clarkson mounting Usain Bolt and murmering "It moves...like a dream" is actually quite distressing.Thank heaven's for the nine o'clock watershed. I'll be in bed with my cocoa if it ever appears on telly. Tue 18 Aug 2009 15:28:03 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=59#comment97 Ah GazUtd:Rather than deal with the specific issue at hand you once again resort to childish name calling (numpty is a favourite term of mine but is in danger of falling into disrepute from overuse) and focusing specifically on my username as if this had any bearing on what was being discussed. I will leave it to other users to decide if they perceive any chip on my shoulder or otherwise. Your reaction, however, is interesting. Perhaps you would care to read the following (from your beloved BBC) and explain to everyone whether this was the reason for Roys departure or because of mismanagement:From the BBCs own version of events: After returning to the team hotel Keane tells manager Mick McCarthy he wants to go home. He cites 'personal reasons' and concerns over his troublesome knee as the reasons. Stephen obviously was not the only Corkman who could change his story. Tue 18 Aug 2009 15:12:33 GMT+1 Born_Again http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=58#comment96 12. At 3:22pm on 17 Aug 2009, Spitfire wrote:What else, do you suppose, someone named Bolt is going to do when he grows up?So unfair.Tyson Gay seems to be doing alright....... Tue 18 Aug 2009 14:51:20 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=58#comment95 It was inevitable wasn't it!Perhaps Ira_Abu (who's name has mythical meaning and nothing else, in case anyone was wondering) if you realised that if Stephen Ireland came out and apologised for saying he was a complete numpty and would love to come back then everyone would welcome him with open arms.Liked the classical diversion tactic of yours there where you tried to tar Roy Keane with the same brush, even though the 2 things were as different as your name and any political or anti-footie team meaning.Nevertheless I have it on good authority that the Irish National shoulder hospital is opening again tomorrow so your chip removal surgery should be able to go ahead as scheduled. Tue 18 Aug 2009 14:46:15 GMT+1 eastlancsmanc LUHG http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=57#comment94 58. At 10:41pm on 17 Aug 2009, Zootmac wrote:I'm still confused about the Usain Bolt "Top Gear" reference. He HAS appeared on "Top Gear", as the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car", and during his interview with Clarkson, he acknowledged that he had prepared for the Olympic 100m final by resting and "havin' some nuggets". Am I being even more dense than usual, or is Robbo having a senior moment?- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Not knowing your usual density, I couldn't possibly comment, but what Robbo actually wrote was: He goes so fast he'll be on Top Gear soon with Clarkson on his back telling us how 'it moves... like a dream!' As in Clarkson would be on his back driving him...or summat. Tue 18 Aug 2009 14:45:57 GMT+1 Ireland Brew http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=57#comment93 91. At 12:54pm on 18 Aug 2009, GodKeano16 wrote:@53:Gaz you're quite right about Ireland. He's not fit to wear the green ever again. Interesting anagram of the name "Stephen Ireland" is "head present nil". Speaks volumes. Now I'd better run and hide before one of his possibly dead grannies runs over me with a zimmerframe.I, for one, would wholeheartedly support the return of Stephen to the Irish set up. Whatever his reasons for resigning from the squad in the first place (he was young as we all were once and he is entitled to some mistakes) we can ill afford to do without his sublime skills in the run in. Our squad is very threadbare as it is with any injury to a couple of key players likely to prove very costly. As Mr. Robson correctly points out his continued presence in the City team is absolutely essential (more so than any other player) if they are to enjoy any modicum of success this season. Perhaps if Stephen had claimed the reason he left the squad was because of the diabolical organisation of the FAI he would be getting a more reasoned response from the Manchester United supporters among us. Or maybe not. Tue 18 Aug 2009 14:16:15 GMT+1 oldswankid http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=56#comment92 I often wonder why clubs don't take action against players who engineer their own trnasfers through the courts: breach of contract!!!! Having said that we should let Lescott go as he's not worth the money City are offering and more tellingly he has a really dodgy knee which could go "pop" at any minute and it'll be career over. We've had three good years out of him chances are he'll have a serious injury before too long. Take the money Moyes!!!!!! Tue 18 Aug 2009 14:13:32 GMT+1 dyrewolfe http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=55#comment91 Another good article Robbo.I agree that Moyes shouldn't let the Lescott Saga continue any longer. If City really have offered over £20m for him, he should bite Hughes' hand off (not literally, of course!) If "Jolly Joleon" is causing unrest in he dressing room, there really is nothing to be gained from letting him stay.I too was in awe of the speed demon Usain. His starts aren't that good, but his acceleration at the halfway point, when he leaves the rest for dead, is just unbelieveable!Some funny results at the start of the Premier League season, but one game does not a season make, although it was encouraging to see Spurs, and Man City get off to a good start (the only teams I can see troubling the Big 4).Likewise, the Championship has a nice look to it with Newcastle and Boro in 3rd and 4th place respectively. Just hoping the Smoggies can maintain their form...Special mentions to Zootmac, GazUtd and Joe "The Roachman" Davis. I've had a right good chuckle reading your contributions. Tue 18 Aug 2009 14:06:24 GMT+1 GodKeano16 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=55#comment90 @53:Gaz you're quite right about Ireland. He's not fit to wear the green ever again. Interesting anagram of the name "Stephen Ireland" is "head present nil". Speaks volumes. Now I'd better run and hide before one of his possibly dead grannies runs over me with a zimmerframe. Tue 18 Aug 2009 11:54:38 GMT+1 vanjoh http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=54#comment89 Oh come on - you gotta watch MOTD! Part of the fabric of English football culture isn't it? Check out the goals, think to yourself "I could have scored that!" sneer at Hansen repeating the same thing week in and week out, exclaim to no one in particular "Dixon's alright, but Martin Keown is woefully dull", get in a bit of a grump about your team always being on right at the end. That sort of thing...You're quite right, though ~ MOTD2 is much better. Adrian Chiles is excellent. Tue 18 Aug 2009 11:51:37 GMT+1 gay fish http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=53#comment88 I didn't think anyone that wasn't in the pub watched MOTD any more! On the rare occasion I am in front of a tv (not owning one but having the internet) the only variant that is entertaining is MOTD 2! More relaxed, funnier and better analysis. Tue 18 Aug 2009 11:20:00 GMT+1 YoungWilsonBall http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=53#comment87 51. At 8:04pm on 17 Aug 2009, Peterpad32 wrote:Have to say that the first public mention of any bid for Lescott was actually made on the official Everton site. So all those that claim MCFC have unsettled the player are being just a tad disngenious.I think you and every other City fan who tries to make this point (including the 'current' manager..miaow)should remember that the story about City coming in for Lescott first appeared before last January's transfer window. I'm pretty sure the source then wasn't the Everton website. There's a world of difference between announcing that an official bid has been lodged and placing 'stories' with friendly reporters to help tap up another team's player. City put this in the press not Everton. Tue 18 Aug 2009 11:10:11 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=52#comment86 Whitley you mean there is money changing hands in the lower leagues?I thought players were traded for old kits and tokens for the hot water heaters in the showers.This really is testament to how far football has fallen. Disgraceful. Tue 18 Aug 2009 10:22:59 GMT+1 jonnothecitizen http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=52#comment85 and post #80. effin hilarious mate (Y) Tue 18 Aug 2009 10:22:45 GMT+1 jonnothecitizen http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=51#comment84 funny as always robbo.as a city fan i dont see why we're still chasing after Lescott. that said, ive got a horrible feeling Moyes is gunna turn round any day now and say 'fine, £20 million and were taking onuoha'. what a shame that would be. Tue 18 Aug 2009 10:20:45 GMT+1 WhitleyBayWonTheVase http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=50#comment83 Anyway, you should all think yourselves lucky. My team, having won the FA Vase, have just gone and sold one of our best players to Durham. Great, just what we needed to kick off a new season. Then, just to add the icing on the cake, our goalkeeper is confirmed as being out for 2 months.The relevance? Moore has gone to Durham for more money. The lower leagues are no different. We're suffering from post Wembley euphoria still, scraping a 2-2 draw at the weekend against Dunston in the FA Cup (yes, for us the FA Cup has started already!). That said, we play Shildon at the weekend and I reckon we're going to hammer them.Now, put it into perspective.... Tue 18 Aug 2009 10:13:01 GMT+1 masonhawks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=50#comment82 Moyes has taken Everton as far as he can, unless some sheik ya money comes along and buys them and throws a massive wad his way i think its only a matter of time till he thinks, stuff this ive had enough. Tue 18 Aug 2009 10:05:46 GMT+1 vanjoh http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=49#comment81 #21 & #56 ~ why Moyes is not universally admired by Everton fans...Well, because he's been there a long time and we haven't won anything! Secondly because under him we play a style of football that is invariably described as "workmanlike". I could live with the lack of success if we sometimes played teams off the park by turning on the flair. The team is in his image: honest and hard working but lacking a certain pizzazz. Finishing 5th and getting to the cup final may well be as good as it gets. I may be wrong and I hope I am. But I'm not alone in thinking that. Tue 18 Aug 2009 09:58:03 GMT+1 masonhawks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=49#comment80 Apparently Chelsea have bought a Kosice auto matic, personally i would have saved up a bit more and bought the Aguero. Tue 18 Aug 2009 09:47:25 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=48#comment79 #78 and 79Stop it. Just stop it.This is the internet and you cannot go pointing out facts willy-nilly. Things like facts cause people to get all mad and stuff and that's how internet fights start. And before you know it there are broken lightsabres and green blood everywhere. Tue 18 Aug 2009 09:47:24 GMT+1 WhitleyBayWonTheVase http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=47#comment78 Those saying that Ferguson couldn't cope with the resources of Moyes might do well to remember he did rather well with a lot less, at a club called Aberdeen when they won the title and a European trophy. How convenient it is for the cynics to forget... Tue 18 Aug 2009 09:43:49 GMT+1 chips_in_the_queue http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=47#comment77 54. DixieandPele:"When Robbo questions the comparison between Ferguson and Moyes, let him have Ferguson manage at Old Trafford with the same kind of financial support that Moyes has to contend with season after season, and then see how well he manages." (a point which Robbo backs up in post 55).He did pretty well when he managed Aberdeen, breaking the 'Old Firm' dominance and winning a European trophy. I think he could probably do a decent job if he was at Everton!I know it's fashionable to heap praise on canny wheeler-dealers like Redknapp and Moyes while suggesting that Ferguson only achieves what he has achieved because of financial support, but some of Ferguson's signings have been outstanding, for next to nothing, while his faith in youngsters has played a massive part in Manchester United's success. Tue 18 Aug 2009 09:42:49 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=46#comment76 75 GazI think that that's what might be described as a stirring posting.Thanks for the tip. That kind of thing can play havoc with your windscreen wipers.No bloody consideration... Tue 18 Aug 2009 09:34:46 GMT+1 masonhawks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=46#comment75 I agree Jimmy, i think both our boys will be scratching their heads this season, while you've got arguably one of the top three midfielders in the world, (the other two are at Barca) and definitely the best striker in the world, where's the creativity gonna come from? Everyone bangs on about us loosing Ronaldo as a creative force but where are the goals gonna come from? Berbatov? Tue 18 Aug 2009 09:21:23 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=45#comment74 This post has been Removed Tue 18 Aug 2009 09:19:41 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=44#comment73 73. I was being frivolous at the expense of Joe - who, curiously, HAS been hanging around Robbo like the macabre manulet which you so poetically describe.However, it's not for me to cast judgement on where a guy wants to dangle. Tue 18 Aug 2009 09:03:30 GMT+1 Were Ngoging to Ibiza http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=44#comment72 70. I think you mean pedant, unless you have the guy hanging around your neck on a chain like some macabre manulet? (portmanteau of amulet and man in case you wondered) Spurs will do well this season, about time as well seen as theyve spent the combined GDP of central america every year for the past 20 Tue 18 Aug 2009 08:49:33 GMT+1 Were Ngoging to Ibiza http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=43#comment71 Great blog as per usual robbo. As a liverpool fan im not surprised we lost, with Ron Burgundy and Brick Tamland in the boardroom we arent going to get very far, they sold one of our key players for 30 mil, we buy a player for 15 mil rising to 20 on appearances, then they say we have 1.5 mil for transfers... now this seems to me a bit like when the MPs wrote how of the 30k they were given to renovate their second home, they spent 20 grand on an oven glove and a toaster... oh well hopefully theyll decide theyve made enough soon and trot off before we turn into "The Merseyside Marauders" Tue 18 Aug 2009 08:47:23 GMT+1 masonhawks http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=42#comment70 Great blog Robbo, even as a man united fan ive always had a soft spot for harry and his teams so it was no surprise to see spurs turn the scousers over, i have a sneaking suspicion 'arry' might just be on to something there, and he's also imposed a booze ban on the players after what happened with Bentley, spurs are lucky to have him, he's a good bloke. Tue 18 Aug 2009 08:37:42 GMT+1 Zootmac http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=42#comment69 59 GazThank you for the improving messages. You pendant.68 RobboPendantic by itslf was the acheivement. The rest was drivel. Tue 18 Aug 2009 08:27:41 GMT+1 paul hewson http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=41#comment68 I have never understood this admiration for Moyes.He has been using the "we have no money" card for years now and still everyone buys into it. When he has had money he has bought decent players, then played them out of position and sold them.His favourite formation is 5-5-0 and still he gets the plaudits.His teams play crap football, he has no idea what to do with a striker and anyone who names his son after himself has got serious Issues!The hardman act over Lescott will only end in Moyes getting more wound up, which I find quite funny. Sparky's comments about the big club will only add to the twitch on Moyes face getting more pronounced.Its the fans along the A55 that I feel sorry for most.. Tue 18 Aug 2009 08:05:52 GMT+1 Robbo Robson http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=41#comment67 JoeNot to mention your pendantic pursuit of the "facts" on a Robbo blog which in itslf is an excercise in futility and an acheivement in missing the point._________________________________________________________________________Sorry to be pedantic but... Pendantic? Tue 18 Aug 2009 07:50:46 GMT+1 GazUtd http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=40#comment66 #64 JDRJoe you may be surprised to find out that my real name isn't GazUtd so unfortunately you are falling into your own trap by addressing me as such.At the minute on the radio here there is a very popular segment where a local comedian impersonates many different people, the show's presenter speaks to him in the guise of all these people, do you want me to call in and tell them to stop? I will if you want Joe, anything for you. Tue 18 Aug 2009 07:18:12 GMT+1 EeesyP http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=39#comment65 Funnily enough, not all Evertonians are massive fans of Moyes - for one reason and another ------------------------------------------------Why is that?-----------------------------------------------'cause he's not Harry Catterick or Felicity Kendal!!!!;) Tue 18 Aug 2009 06:42:39 GMT+1 DixieandPele http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=39#comment64 At 9:14pm on 17 Aug 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:>OI! If your read the first two paragraphs you'll realise that that's exactly what I was saying. A tad kneejerk >there me old son. "but Fergie hasn't been achieving quite so much with quite so little, has he?" You were talking about missing Ronaldo and Tevez, while I was talking about the disparity in the money available for buying the best talent around. I think you're guilty of the tad knee jerk me old grandson. Tue 18 Aug 2009 05:49:45 GMT+1 JoeDavisRoach http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/08/bolt_after_the_blues.html?page=38#comment63 GazUtd Yes Gaz, a simple error on my part. However you continue to appear each week and address Robbo as a real person. Much the same as one might address Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones were they to meet him on the street.Not to mention your pendantic pursuit of the "facts" on a Robbo blog which in itslf is an excercise in futility and an acheivement in missing the point. Tue 18 Aug 2009 00:06:43 GMT+1