Comments for http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html en-gb 30 Wed 17 Sep 2014 01:30:29 GMT+1 A feed of user comments from the page found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html Stephen Derry http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=99#comment324 Don't count your chickens, nursealoft, there are whole cohorts of disaffected lawyers out there who were expecting nice juicy fees... things could still get nasty. Wed 05 Nov 2008 21:54:33 GMT+1 nursealoft http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=99#comment323 Oh gosh it was terrifying wasn't it? The riots that ensued following Obama's win? I saw tissue boxes upturned and American flags recklessly waved about. Somebody could have lost an eye! Those bloodthirsty urbanites just couldn't control themselves. Wed 05 Nov 2008 17:54:37 GMT+1 Susan Bird http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=99#comment322 I think that Justin should post a blog about Joe the Plumber. After all, Justin knowledge of the US election shows that he is more than capable to moderate a well needed debate.God save us from the Right Winged Media of UK. Tue 04 Nov 2008 05:29:42 GMT+1 Susan Bird http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=98#comment321 What is the point of this particular story Justin? Reminds me of the Tory scaremongering tactics. You sound racist and near fascist in temperament. Are you one of those dumbwits: "How can 52 million people be so dumb" (NYT) after the 2004 reelection of Bush. We are on the verge of a new era. We are going to have a New Boy on the block. Get used to it! A new future for USA. Get a grip Justin. Tue 04 Nov 2008 05:22:32 GMT+1 David Cunard http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=98#comment320 #310. StephenDerry: "The difference is immaterial to an atheist! I meant to use a word that means "anyone who believes in any sort of god at all" and etymologically, "deist" seemed the logical construction."Exactly - you're right and Sankari is wrong:301. Sankari: "No philosophical conclusion is without its consequences." But belief in a deity is religious, not philosophical. Neither SD (above) nor I subscribe to the idea that there is some supernatural being involved with life. Tue 04 Nov 2008 01:43:18 GMT+1 SamTyler1969 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=98#comment319 #278My Bad.Dumb Sam Mon 03 Nov 2008 23:31:06 GMT+1 kalman-jet http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=97#comment318 @ 315if your really intrested there are several kinds of dyslexia- along with dysgraphia and sevreal other "dys's". And considering there is no medical definition for the word "severe" I chose to use it to describe the condition of someone, who was diagnosed with dyslexia, and finds himself unable to remember how words are spelt, and even if I do, still sometimes spell them incorectly due to some bad "wiring" between the brain and hands. Reading is also more problematic, but I manage. Sorry if I offended you, or your family member, either way the point I made reamains valid- just because some can't spell properly does not make his opinions less valid- as oppose to someone who is completely ignorant on the subject matter he chooses to talk about. Mon 03 Nov 2008 17:17:43 GMT+1 thunderpilgrim http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=97#comment317 So it's alright for the McCain campaign to try to paint Mr Obama a socialist but Palin really thinks she's speaking to the French president and the media is biased.Says all you need to know about Republicans who cannot accept their ticket is to old on the one hand and to naive on the other! Mon 03 Nov 2008 17:11:03 GMT+1 Gary_A_Hill http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=97#comment316 flawedlogic (#305), your logic is flawed. People in free countries have the right to complain about any post at all for whatever reason; you do not set the standard for what "rights" others who post here supposedly have.How would you know what others "condone" anyway. Some people who post here are just so off-the-wall that others might choose simply to ignore them, because to complain or otherwise oppose their views could be seen to give them more legitimacy than they deserve. Mon 03 Nov 2008 17:07:53 GMT+1 british-ish http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=96#comment315 I see jcp is contributing yet more half-truths.One is the so-called 'Gaza phone bank'; others can search the BBC site for the original report. (It was in 'Outlook' on the World Service, I think and needless to say it doesn't amount to what jcp claims.)As to the rest . . . well, who cares any more? The usual thoughtless nonsense is taking over again. Time to abandon this ship, I think. Mon 03 Nov 2008 15:03:55 GMT+1 Simon21 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=96#comment314 "312. At 1:46pm on 03 Nov 2008, kalman-jet wrote:to John-In-DublinFirst off I find it amusing that you would attack my ability to "write" as your only defense- I like many people such as Einstien, Napoleon and a million others am severly dyslexic"really well that is interesting. As someone with a close relative who is severely dyslexic, can I ask how it is you are apprently able to read and write."Severely" dyslexic people find it almost impossible to do either. Mon 03 Nov 2008 14:22:57 GMT+1 kalman-jet http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=96#comment313 @ 194"Many still claim God's promise for everything between the Nile and the Euphrates, with parts of Iran and Saudi Arabia thrown in. The Gush Emunim (armed terrorists and settlers) claim the whole World.If there is a "modern Zionist movement", I have no idea of its leadership or organization. I think that one would have to speak of individual parties in Israel."The Gush Emunim that you refer too is a tiny minority (the group is made up of fewer then a hundred people) and its leaders thrown in jail by israeli officials. The modern Zionist movement is the one we see leading Israel today- no it dosn't have a spesific beurocracy and organization- the Zionist movement hasnt had one since Israel was founded and the Jewish Congress was basicly disbanded, having achieved its goal. The magority of the Israeli population dosn't even stake a moral god given claim to the West Bank and Gazza, let alone Saudi Arabia or the whole world (which is a shame because really Israel could do with some more oil), evidence to this is of course- the disengagement from Gazza, which was met with 76% approval from Israeli citizens, (that approval rating has dropped some what in the last few years- with the infighting between Fatah and Hamas and Hamas's rise to power and daily shelling of Israel), not to mention overwhelming support for the ongoing negotiations between "Kadima" and the leading party in Israeli governement and and Abu Mazen (Head of Fatah) to get to a final agreement regarding these terriories. (you might find it intresting to know that "Likud" the right winged Israeli party currently has 11 mandates out of a possible 120, "kadima" and "Labour" the centrist-left wing parties have 50 between them- the rest are shared out by small political parties, mainly spesific intrest groups). These people are the "leaders" of the modern Zionist movement. Mon 03 Nov 2008 13:58:00 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=96#comment312 My favorite pic of Barracuda. http://img.blogads.com/192010340/img.jpgAnyone shares that? Mon 03 Nov 2008 13:53:30 GMT+1 kalman-jet http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=95#comment311 to John-In-DublinFirst off I find it amusing that you would attack my ability to "write" as your only defense- I like many people such as Einstien, Napoleon and a million others am severly dyslexic (I say this not to compare myself to such great minds- rather to illustrate how pathetic, and quite frankly desperate an attempt at argumentation that was).As for me accusing you of saying things you didnt- Jackturk at 21 said "Fundamentalism is evident in Zionism and creationism. They are dangerous for at least two reasons; in the case of Zionism, whether it be Christian or Jewish, most followers believe that they have a god given right to occupy a certain piece of territory, which to any sensible person is obvious nonsense. To achieve their goal they de-humanise anyone who stands in their way and if people are harmed it is just considered to be 'collateral damage'. Many Zionists even condemn other members of their own faith such as Noam Chomsky for not supporting their cause, they use that awful term 'self hating Jew'."you then wrote:"If you have a specific objection to any of that - let's hear it. Backed by evidence of course. [There's a first time for everything.....]"Maybe it was my illetiracy that led me not to understand that last sentance, but to the casual out looker it would seem that you a. support what he said and b. ask for a "specific objection... backed by evidence".I was only too happy to oblige.You and Jack are right of course in that I should of addresed my post to both you and Jack. Mon 03 Nov 2008 13:46:24 GMT+1 PaulPieniezny http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=95#comment310 My post about the misconceptions over the Luftwaffe song has been declared contrary to house rules.I will therefore repeat my main point only(the rest of my corrections you will have to look for on google or on Youtube yourself) : McCain's "slogan" Bomb, bomb, Iran may look like it was influenced by that song, but before McCain the song had already been abused by the other side (i.e. German nazis supporting Iran against Israel). So there is no blame to be put on McCain here. Mon 03 Nov 2008 13:40:37 GMT+1 Stephen Derry http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=95#comment309 293/Sankari (and David_Cunard)The difference is immaterial to an atheist! I meant to use a word that means "anyone who believes in any sort of god at all" and etymologically, "deist" seemed the logical construction. However I note that word is actually applied as a technical term distinguished from theism. It doesn't affect my point. Mon 03 Nov 2008 13:25:06 GMT+1 john-In-Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=94#comment308 # 258.TheHandOfHistory wrote: "john-in-dublin,I don't think it's unfair to say that no matter what happens on Tuesday - whether America elects their first black president or first female vice president - your achievement on being the first to comment on this blog spot will go down in history as THE significant moment of 2008./The fact that you come all the way from Dublin makes this achievement all the more remarkable./I for one feel honoured at being one of the first people to recognise this momentous day in our history."Personally I would adhere to the view that the US electing the first African-American President might just be even more momentous than my being the first to comment on this blog spot.But let's not quibble over details.;-p Mon 03 Nov 2008 13:17:50 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=94#comment307 299. At 06:36am on 03 Nov 2008, David_Cunard wrote:#293. Sankari: "(Wright')s not a deist. He's a theist."If Deism is a belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it, and Theism is the belief in the existence of a god or gods, I fail to see any distinction of importance. Both include the belief in an unseen, unheard and supernatural being. Whether one is caring or not seems immaterial.--------------------------Because if you are a deist you need not pray. But Wright evidently prays. Its the difference between children and some teenagers. Children believe in Santa and ask for presents. While some teenagers might just believe in Santa but not ask anything. Mon 03 Nov 2008 13:16:29 GMT+1 Simon21 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=94#comment306 "303. At 10:09am on 03 Nov 2008, MagicKirin wrote:ref #211Jack here is an accurate link to the situation with Carterhttp://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N11171023.htmI ive in the area, the people and proffessors who signed this letter were on the left. Overwhelmingly the students wanted to heat Carter challenged.As a resident, I was barred from coming as well."Is this the sameMr Dershowitz who defended a group of nazi-sympathisers who wanted to march through a jewish area?Thus getting him the publicity he craves.And you support him?Very weird. Mon 03 Nov 2008 12:54:42 GMT+1 SaintDominick http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=93#comment305 Ref 296"You can't deny that Palin sounds like a very nice charming lady."She sound like a very charming high school cheerleader hoping to become prom Queen. Mon 03 Nov 2008 12:38:39 GMT+1 flawedlogic http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=93#comment304 I have read every post on this article, I am amazed that it seems okay for one left-wing poster Xie_Ming to spout such hate filled slogans, this posters previous comments on this blog and others are a disgrace, if the rest of you condone Xie_Mings comments than you have no right to complain about any of the right-wing posts.Obama will win, I will then judge him once he has had time to bring his own flavour to the Presidency.And as always remember that BOTH sides of the campaign have done things that bring no credit to their causes. Mon 03 Nov 2008 12:27:16 GMT+1 MuttStrat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=93#comment303 Biased, much?I've always suspected it but this post from Webb shows just who he would be voting for if he could.Pathetic stuff. That's me done with anything this 'journalist' has to report/write. Mon 03 Nov 2008 11:10:57 GMT+1 MagicKirin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=92#comment302 ref #211Jack here is an accurate link to the situation with Carterhttp://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N11171023.htmI ive in the area, the people and proffessors who signed this letter were on the left. Overwhelmingly the students wanted to heat Carter challenged.As a resident, I was barred from coming as well. Mon 03 Nov 2008 10:09:31 GMT+1 oldnat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=92#comment301 #278 pkkmresMickey Mouse is fictitious?Foul slander. Mon 03 Nov 2008 09:47:06 GMT+1 Sankari http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=92#comment300 Post #299; David_Cunard wrote: "If Deism is a belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it, and Theism is the belief in the existence of a god or gods, I fail to see any distinction of importance".In the immortal words of Dr Samuel Johnson: "Sir, I have found you an argument. I am not obliged to find you an understanding".A first year university course in philosophy should clear things up for you."Both include the belief in an unseen, unheard and supernatural being. Whether one is caring or not seems immaterial".On the contrary, it is entirely material. No philosophical conclusion is without its consequences. Mon 03 Nov 2008 09:02:30 GMT+1 british-ish http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=92#comment299 296. montrealmarc wrote:"You can't deny that Palin sounds like a very nice charming lady."Yes I can. Mon 03 Nov 2008 06:53:25 GMT+1 David Cunard http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=91#comment298 #293. Sankari: "(Wright')s not a deist. He's a theist."If Deism is a belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it, and Theism is the belief in the existence of a god or gods, I fail to see any distinction of importance. Both include the belief in an unseen, unheard and supernatural being. Whether one is caring or not seems immaterial. Mon 03 Nov 2008 06:36:21 GMT+1 british-ish http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=91#comment297 294. allmymarbles 291, everyoneiscrazyLet me put it this way, because (reading some of the sites some people point to here and the handful of extremists who post here) this is sometimes the way it looks from outside:The way the propaganda for, and the practice of, the 'War on Terror' has been conducted seems to have legitimized hate, or at least the expression of it:1) of ethnic groups2) of immigrants (particularly non-white, or at least 'Latino')3) of non-fundamentalist non-Christians and especially Islam4) of the political process5) of the processes of government.I tend to believe those who profess that hatred are in a minority, though a very vocal one. But the danger of a minority to a majority lies in their actions, not their numbers.I merely wonder whether American social society is actually cohesive enough (outside a few metropolitan enclaves) in much of America to withstand the strain. Especially with so many guns about.There really is a lot about this that reminds me of what I've read and been told of the passions and fears that arose in London at the beginning of the Spanish Civil War.I've written before here that I found (purely as a European Leftie) the concept of a 'Civilian National Security Force' disturbing.Not as some weird paramilitary agent of left-wing repression, but just in the militaristic way it was phrased. I'm sure that was intended as some kind of signal to the right that "I'm tough, too" -- meant to be some kind of auxiliary police-type National Guard or something? It didn't sound like boy scouts -- and backfired.What most dismays many of us outside the US is the prospect of total inaction on the world economy in the US until maybe the end of January.By that time, you know, an awful lot of Americans, who seem to think the problems have all somehow mysteriously gone away during this election, are going to have to face up to a lot of very, very unpleasant economic truths for which no-one (certainly not Obama) has prepared them.It's a little different, here; we have been thinking of little else, but we haven't been distracted by an election, and in our system we don't have a 'lame duck' period during which a government effectively abandons its responsibilities to its people and shuffle them off onto somebody else two months on, as seems to have happened. Mon 03 Nov 2008 06:34:39 GMT+1 everyoneiscrazy http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=91#comment296 Gotta keep asking marbles.If nothing else i find it irks themI like that. Mon 03 Nov 2008 06:24:32 GMT+1 montrealmarc http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=90#comment295 You can't deny that Palin sounds like a very nice charming lady.I don't want here to be vice-president, but dammit, count me in for a Pot-luck dinner party at her house any day of the week! Mon 03 Nov 2008 06:22:38 GMT+1 Stephen Derry http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=90#comment294 If Obama can thrive in Chicago politics, a town which houses Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan and many of the most ruthless, cut-throat, power-hungry politicians outside of Washington, then I suspect the relative calm of the Oval Office will be a relief as much as anything.We know he is calm in a crisis (not maverick enough), we know he is smart (elite), we know he has some high calibre advisors around him (crutches), we know he has leadership skills from the way he kept a very tight grip on his campaign (dictator), and we know he actually has a plan and some policies (secret agenda).I think we can trust him. (fear him! fear him!) Mon 03 Nov 2008 05:26:48 GMT+1 allmymarbles http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=90#comment293 291, everyoneiscrazy.How can you expect a reasonable reply from a loony zealot? Fortunately we are not voting in the loony zealots. I never doubted the outcome because I felt Americans were cleverer than the media gave us credit for. Even the media doesn't know we are in the 21st century. Mon 03 Nov 2008 05:25:16 GMT+1 Sankari http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=89#comment292 Post #38; StephenDerry wrote: "I've seen Wright interviewed, he is a measured, intelligent man, and as rational as a deist can be".He's not a deist. He's a theist.The distinction is important. Mon 03 Nov 2008 05:24:18 GMT+1 Sankari http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=89#comment291 Post #27; pkkmres wrote: "There is a Montreal in France".Actually, there's about half a dozen Montreals in France. And I sincerely doubt that Palin knows this.If asked "Have you been to Montreal?" I think it's fair to say that the majority of people would think immediately of Canada, not France (presuming that they know Montreal is in Canada).Had Palin been aware that there is more than one Montreal, she would not automatically have concluded that they must be in France; she would have said "Which Montreal?"But she did not. Her assumption that they must be in France proves that she is aware of only one Montreal, and she believes it to be France. Mon 03 Nov 2008 05:18:10 GMT+1 everyoneiscrazy http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=89#comment290 Re #281"He's promising to unite the country, but in fact,he shall divide it. If he lives out his first term"Scary stuff. Really."It is more likely that we will have general unrest.This talk of a "national security force" is unsettling.I fear that this is the end of the US as a stable democracy. This whole thing was initiated byBush, and if elected, Obama will preside overthe end of the process"Please, can you please give some kind of explanation as to why, please?Maybe if i say please enough you'll actually answer. Cos from what i can see you seem to be worried that a democrat will take down the country when a republican, though he tried his very best, didn't. Yet you offer no insight or opinion as to why. Why is the national security force so unsettling? You can't just make rambling sweeping statments and not explain yourself. What are you so afraid of? Mon 03 Nov 2008 05:09:03 GMT+1 Wil http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=88#comment289 Hi 205 StephenDerry,Yes, if only McCain campaign in this way of promoting what he could bring and what he stand for. However, this is not republican year and McCain knows he probably cannot win with honesy campaigning.How can people trust McCain to stand firm when things get hot. When he cannot even stand firm about his campaigning.Plus McCain stands too closely with Bush, one of the worse president US has. (some might disagree).So I feel sad for McCain that he is being use by Jeff Bush etc as fodder so that they can delay their bid for president til 4-8 years later. McCain will be a much better president compare to Bush. However, US and world need a non-Republican President to mend ties and bring relative peace. The problem with Obama is that he is not tried, and this is a risk. But no risk no gain. And McCain is already a lose in the world's view. Give Obama a Chance. Mon 03 Nov 2008 05:05:24 GMT+1 David Cunard http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=88#comment288 #231. niwus00 "THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER!! Seriously - home to such outrageous crap as "my grand-mother gave birth to an alien".You're wrong; apparently you haven't stood in a supermarket line for some time. The Enquirer may be trashy, but it does not run such stories - you're thinking of The Globe and the old Weekly World News which did indeed did run similar articles. The Enquirer pays good money to its sources for any 'dirt' which it can dig up and verify, as it did in the case of John Edwards.#286. nessie1945: "As Robin Williams said, God's mistake in making man was not to give him enough blood to operate his brain at the same time operated his [word censored to escape the moderators]. What's wrong with Vice President Cheney's first name? It's Dick. Mon 03 Nov 2008 05:05:13 GMT+1 british-ish http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=88#comment287 282 StephenDerryVery lucid. Mk, however is not the only one we go through that rigmarole with. Mon 03 Nov 2008 04:38:01 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=88#comment286 283. At 03:56am on 03 Nov 2008, StephenDerry wrote:We have witnessed the operation of conservative values, some would say extreme conservative values, for the past 8 years. --------------The real problem is that they were not even conservative values. That's what happens if you put fool(W) and evil(cheney) run the govt for self interest and the intellectuals marginalized. If they implemented conservative values of Lincoln it would have been much than it has been.Values based on individual liberty/responsibility, Huntington's foreign policy and fiscal responsibility.They failed on all of them. The real problem is that McCain promises to continue the failure on some issues. Mon 03 Nov 2008 04:18:45 GMT+1 Cassandra http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=87#comment285 219Baah?You missed the reference entirely - which is OK - but don't get your knickers in a twist.254Maybe that's the ticket. McCain has a cunning plan.... maybe even "a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel." But I hope not.255Palin's sex has nothing to do with her lack of depth. Bush is definitely in the shallow end of the pond. Sex and brainpower only collide when men look at a good-looking woman and their (the men's) IQ drops. Lucky for her, Palin's looks may earn votes for just that reason.As Robin Williams said, God's mistake in making man was not to give him enough blood to operate his brain at the same time operated his [word censored to escape the moderators]. Mon 03 Nov 2008 04:14:24 GMT+1 Gary_A_Hill http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=87#comment284 niwus00 (#231), The National Enquirer hasn't used stories about space aliens for many years. That market segment is covered by another rag now. You need to get up to date on the supermarket tabloid papers. Mon 03 Nov 2008 04:12:11 GMT+1 autish http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=87#comment283 What surprises me is how few networks have pointed out that Palin seemed to suggest she knew the Canadian Prime Minister and the Premier of Quebec, and yet didn't know that the names being used were completely wrong. Mon 03 Nov 2008 04:05:26 GMT+1 Stephen Derry http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=86#comment282 277: JRHawkWe are good at scornful comments, when we are provided with so much material worthy of them.What we are rarely provided with is a coherent argument of why conservative values and policies in general, and McCain's in particular are preferable to liberal values and policies in general, and Obama's in particular.We have witnessed the operation of conservative values, some would say extreme conservative values, for the past 8 years. I suspect that unbridled conservatism can get a lot more extreme than even Bush, who if anything was more centrist than his hawkish advisors, as started to become apparant as their power waned. I think there is a broad consensus that the last 8 years have not been good for America - even Sarah Palin doesn't argue that.That puts the onus on the conservatives. How can you argue for conservative values and policies, when conservative values and policies have clearly failed?Yet all we have to debate are hysterical claims that Obama is a Muslim, a terrorist, a Marxist, the Antichrist, a black supremacist, a baby murderer or (and this one has been surprisingly hard to kill off despite being patently ridiculous) a foreigner. And all these stories are absolutely true but don't get reported because the mainstream media (everyone but Fox News) is deliberately suppressing it.Is scorn not the only appropriate response? Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:56:15 GMT+1 Stephen Derry http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=86#comment281 269/neil_a2MagicKirin is the attacker, not the attackee. Anything we say about him can be wholly backed up just by reading his posts.This is how it works: *He makes an accusation about Obama.*We explain the flaw in his argument (usually factual errors or lack of understanding).*He says we're just biased. Then he makes another, different accusation.*We point out the flaw in his new argument, and maybe one or two spelling errors.*He says we're elitist. Then he repeats the first attack he made, with the same flawed argument we pointed out to him previously.*We repeat the flaw we previously pointed out, and point out that we did actually point out before.*He calls us all Marxists.I suppose "explanations" can be viewed as attacks. However, we're justified in explaining to him that ACORN are the victims of voter registration fraud, not the perpetrators, explaining that you can still win the popular vote and lose the electoral college, explaining that opinions are not the same as facts, and what some guy says on a right-wing blog isn't strictly speaking evidence, or explaining that the word "dictator" doesn't apply to elected leaders serving a fixed term of office.If we come to the conclusion that he's stupid/immature/ignorant, I think there is a modicum of evidence to support this strewn across these comments pages. Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:43:26 GMT+1 gunsandreligion http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=86#comment280 Ms. Marbles, Obama is really a false prophet.He's promising to unite the country, but in fact,he shall divide it. If he lives out his first term,then we shall probably have civil unrest the likesof which we have not seen in our lifetimes.I doubt that we will have civil war, because thedivisions in the US are now between winners andlosers in the global economy, different ethnic groups,religious issues, etc. These are demographicand socio-economic issues, not geographic ones.It is more likely that we will have general unrest.This talk of a "national security force" is unsettling.I fear that this is the end of the US as a stable democracy. This whole thing was initiated byBush, and if elected, Obama will preside overthe end of the process. Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:34:05 GMT+1 allmymarbles http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=85#comment279 275, geo.See, sexism works both ways. Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:32:20 GMT+1 David Cunard http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=85#comment278 #261. HarryLake: "This is not the kind of journalism I expect from Mr Webb. I am accustomed to getting real, in-depth insights."This is a BLOG, not a place for in-depth remarks from Mr Webb. He gives others a point to discuss or argue about and, rather than criticising him, you could have contributed to the discussion. Add your voice to the debate! Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:28:57 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=85#comment277 263. At 02:14am on 03 Nov 2008, SamTyler1969 wrote:PK,Mickey didn't vote. Had his address checked out and he showed up on polling day as a first time voter with a picture ID he could have voted. But he didn't vote. Voter registration fraud and voter fraud are two very different things.266. At 02:28am on 03 Nov 2008, timohio wrote:re: 242. pkkmres:Although I agree with all of your points, I should point out that Mickey Mouse never actually cast a vote. -------------------------I was being sarcastic. Oops. Did not come off right. I knew Mickey Mouse never cast a vote. How a fictitious person cast a vote? Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:28:01 GMT+1 JRhawk http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=84#comment276 StephenDerryJust thought the borderless and unitarian world govt at #94 was kind of silly.#143 is more compelling. Could it be that thoughtful conservative contributors are less likely to post due to the avalanche of scornful comments ? Are you really willing to consider opposing viewpoints ?On that note, whom do you consider as a legitimate intellectual voice on the right ? David Brooks ? Wm F. Buckley ?Any that you suggest ? Just curious. Would be interested in other responses. Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:27:30 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=84#comment275 However much I want Obama to win I can not stop sympathizing for McCain. Poor old man wanted to be president. He is certainly a nice person. Just on the wrong side on the issues.I am not sure if we can find another honest and sincere republican. Bipartisan and moderate. Would have been much better if he wanted to pull out of Iraq and chose a moderate VP candidate. Hope he has a peaceful rest of life if he loses. Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:24:52 GMT+1 geomapgirl http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=84#comment274 #267 - His picked up Palin is supper, just the combination of American Hero plus American Beauty we like to see,So ... you are actually voting for Palin for VP - someone who would become president if the president cannot continue to serve - because she's good-looking??? Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:23:51 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=84#comment273 253. At 01:48am on 03 Nov 2008, selfevidenttruths wrote:pkk: just been looking at the polls again, it would seem that Obama's lead in the national trackers is stable at around +6, but there is undeniable closing in certain states (PA, VA, CO)-----------Damn, the moderation rate is awful. Anyway, if PA is getting closer that's a problem. A conservative win for Obama would be Kerry + IA + NM + CO.But since PA is close he must now win VA and NV too. And you can never count on OH or FL. Also NC early voting raises hopes but you can never trust a red state turning blue. So its better it people do not become complacent about voting. Obama would be better off spending some time in PA tomorrow. PA does not have early voting which means any small swing and Obama may lose. Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:12:20 GMT+1 allmymarbles http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=83#comment272 255, geo.I agree. Sarah Palin is an embarrassment to modern women. She is a throwback. Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:08:30 GMT+1 allmymarbles http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=83#comment271 205, Stephen.People reent Obama having more money to campaign with than McCain. What they don't acknowledge is that 6.1 million individual supporters provided that money. They wanted Obama to win. If they had wanted McCain to win they would have given the money to him. So the money represented Obama's popularity. It is not as though he was deleriously wealthy and financing himself.Sour grapes, McCain. Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:04:03 GMT+1 selfevidenttruths http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=83#comment270 by the time this appears I shall be asleep. To be on the safe side I'll disagree with all of ya! lolHappy discussions : ) Mon 03 Nov 2008 03:03:04 GMT+1 neil_a2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=82#comment269 Re: 249. Historian Sam - questionDid Edwards ever close the books on his 2004 campaign? They were still outstanding as of August, 2008.It is good that he kept his affairs to his vendors. It helped avoid double payment. Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:58:17 GMT+1 neil_a2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=82#comment268 Magic, Hang in there this group can not function unless they are attacking someone.You are identified as "not one of them", so they will feel compelled to attack you. They can not even leave their own fold or their peers will attack them. Re: 47. MarcusAureliusII, you maybe a little weak on Obama's youth, but right on his lack of experience and professional involvement.I sincerely hope Obama works out. We have run the country on 2/3 of the government for the past 16 years. This time, I am afraid, we have even less.Godspeed Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:53:50 GMT+1 allmymarbles http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=82#comment267 244, guns.Nothing matters anymore - articles, theories, mudslinging, aunts, pranks. The race is over. Obama will be out next president. Lets breathe a sigh of relief. Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:43:51 GMT+1 HKDeshan http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=81#comment266 US ELECTION 2008By HKDeshan, Nov 03,2008, HK.I watched BBC tonight talking about USA election and I have something to say:1. Palin is qualified enough to be vice president nominated. She started her political career from a simple union member and has got elected one step to another ever since. This is proved her capability and popularity.2. The economic tsunami we face today is so freaky that we never seen before. And it’s globalization effected. But this crisis basically under control by this us adm, with the coop of the govs world wide, of course. To be hones speaking we can’t imagine what would be happened if this were led by others adms that follows the old economic formula. Even the ex chairman Greenspan has admitted that his old economic formula was not fitted today’s situation and praised the Bush adm doing right.3. Economic crisis often deriving social tens and turmoil. The economic hardship we face today is so huge and do impacting all over the world. Under such as tons of pressure, our world is about to burs out at any time! We pray and won’t see the world war between the countries. But we could not avoid any war between justice and turmoil, between innocent and terror…. We must be in alert! Particularly to USA, it’s a tough time for you and the world does not allow you to have further loss. Therefore, you experiences leadership is crucially needed. 4. John McCain is a wise guy. He has knowledge about our Chinese 46 strategies of war and did comply it well. He is a tough soldier that knows how to deal in hard time and war. His picked up Palin is supper, just the combination of American Hero plus American Beauty we like to see, and that made a die-hard American even unbeatable.(Sorry for my poor English spelling) Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:29:27 GMT+1 timohio http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=81#comment265 re: 242. pkkmres:Although I agree with all of your points, I should point out that Mickey Mouse never actually cast a vote. He submitted a voter registration form. In order for Mickey to actually vote, in most states he would have had to present official documentation (driver's license, student ID, etc.) identifying him as the mouse in question. So no voter fraud actually took place. People seem to have missed that in all the uproar about ACORN. Election officials at the polling place would undoubtedly have caught the mouse in the act. And if they hadn't, the Republican poll monitors certainly would have. So, as they say, no harm, no foul. Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:28:54 GMT+1 timohio http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=81#comment264 re: 171. SpeleoKarst:"Well, Canadian French is to Parisian French as Liverpudlian is to Queen's English: It sounds very different."Well, yes, I concede that point. When I had my one visit to Quebec (long, long ago) the only person whose French I easily understood turned out to be Romanian. He had learned his French the same way I did: in school.But to an American or Briton unaccustomed to French dialects, a Quebec accent will sound French. So I don't fault Palin on not recognizing a Quebec accent. Just on not having any common sense.And not to split linguistic hairs, but Parisian French is only one dialect among many spoken in France. As Queen's English is only one dialect among many spoken in Britain. (I don't dare tread upon the dicey question of whether Americans speak English. In this setting it might spark hundreds of posts.) One dialect only comes to be considered "pure" because the group speaking it is on the top of the social and economic heap. Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:17:21 GMT+1 David Cunard http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=80#comment263 #239. MarcusAureliusII: "I have the benefit of having read all about the social climate of Britain and how its people behave because it was posted on the internet by people who claimed to know."You really shouldn't believe all you read on the internet. You generalised about 66 million people saying they were 'soccer hooligans', which is as ridiculous as suggesting that all Americans are poorly educated or insular. In any case, you could not have heard or seen the programme on which you were making comment - you simply like to be contentious and perversely confrontational. If someone said black you'd swear up and down that it was white. anomalyNo, I don't recall what Justin said, less-than-flattering or not, so why not post a link. Unlike yourself, I don't claim to be perfect. In the meantime, why not go back to discussing whether or not God exists - last time I looked you had made ten posts on the subject. Get a life - and a spellcheck: "anomoly" is anomaly. Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:15:28 GMT+1 SamTyler1969 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=80#comment262 #242PK,Mickey didn't vote. Had his address checked out and he showed up on polling day as a first time voter with a picture ID he could have voted. But he didn't vote. Voter registration fraud and voter fraud are two very different things.The ACORN thing is a red herring. They are required to turn in all forms regardless of how stupid the information is to prevent them, for example, registering only Democrats. That's the law.For the record there hasn't been a single case of Voter Fraud tied to ACORN. And they have been registering voters for years.I know that a lot of folks right now want gto believe that there is some vast conspiracy working against mcCain and the Republicans. But sadly his camapign just sucked, from start to finish, and this is being reflected in the polls.The only thing sadder than being a loser is being a loser in denial. Whoever wins in the end we owe it to ourselves to stop all this voter fraud voter supression media bias whining and get on with fixing the economy and moving our country forwards.Patriot Sam Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:14:18 GMT+1 Ed Iglehart http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=80#comment261 No comment needed Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:11:00 GMT+1 HarryLake http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=80#comment260 This is not the kind of journalism I expect from Mr Webb. I am accustomed to getting real, in-depth insights. Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:10:04 GMT+1 NCPatriot http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=79#comment259 This is yet another bad move by the McCain campaign, not to talk about the "Aunt-gate". It is really important to keep the topic alive - it keeps the focus in the last couple of days on Obama and his character - so thanks for doing your part, Justin.Justin, let me also take this opportunity to congratulate you for running this blog all through this never-ending election cycle. It offered a fair and neutral opinion - a welcome relief from the lies and slanders of the in-the-tank-for-you-know-who MSM. Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:07:03 GMT+1 Stephen Derry http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=79#comment258 230 pkkmres239 MarcusAureliusII241 JRHawkI would like to see how Sarah Palin would cope as Mayor of Chicago and see if she thrives in Chicago politics as well as Barack Obama did. To rise to the top in what I'm told is the toughest political arena in the USA surely demonstrates a political resume of the highest calibre, enhanced by his being the first person to beat the Clinton machine - something no Republican has ever managed.Alaska has lots of money. Perfect Republican state. Meanwhile, Chicago has lots of social problems, including a high level of crime (although I don't think "cavortion" is a felony, yet). Perfect Democrat city.Conveniently enough, Sarah Palin is good at spending money and Barack Obama is good at understanding social problems such as crime, poverty and unemployment where there is no money. He has plans on how to address them.If there were no, ya know, borders, then there would be no division of funds. Alaska wouldn't have a surplus purely for the benefit of Alaskans, and Chicago (not to mention Appalachia) would have slightly more money to spend on regeneration and job creation.But why should Chicago get free handouts off the back of hard-working... um... make that rich-resourced Alaskans? The city deserves what it gets for not sitting on a lake of oil, or having a million acres of forest!StephenDerryLand has no borders, but plenty of hope. Borders divide us, but hope unites us. There's not Alaskan money and Illinois money and Texan money and Pennsylvanian money... there's just a United States of Money, which goes where it is most needed. That is the way to StephenDerryLand. Mon 03 Nov 2008 02:06:17 GMT+1 TheHandOfHistory http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=79#comment257 john-in-dublin,I don't think it's unfair to say that no matter what happens on Tuesday - whether America elects their first black president or first female vice president - your achievement on being the first to comment on this blog spot will go down in history as THE significant moment of 2008.The fact that you come all the way from Dublin makes this achievement all the more remarkable.I for one feel honoured at being one of the first people to recognise this momentous day in our history. Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:59:19 GMT+1 geomapgirl http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=78#comment256 #231 THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER!! Seriously - home to such outrageous crap as "my grand-mother gave birth to an alien". But that's what its come to because the likes of CNN, ABC, and MSNBC refuse do their jobs!Actually, I've always wondered if the Enquirer originally printed that story as fiction - and then Edwards blinked, because it happened to be true.Enquiring minds want to know ... Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:59:16 GMT+1 tokando http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=78#comment255 I have figured it all out!! My intellect has allowed me to see through the looking glass. John Mccain has for years been branded a "closet liberal" by the conservatives, so I think that he deliberately flip flopped on all his past statements, chose a running mate who is insanely stupid and ran one of the worst campaigns on purpose just so he can put an end to republican rule.....unfortunately for John he didn't realise the level of blind idiocy on the far right of America and actually has tightend the polls??? My god, poor John must be trying to think what else he could possibly do to lose this election in the last 2 days! (for those idiotic right wing sheeple, this is a joke) Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:57:11 GMT+1 geomapgirl http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=78#comment254 #216 - All these nasty Palin comments, she's so stupid, she has no experience...She has more time in executive government than Obama. That's why he hired Joe "Amex" Biden.It's obvious it's because she's female No. No, no, no, and no. I AM a female, and I object to your post, and to all the others who insist on repeating endlessly how much more "experience" Palin has than Obama. The "experience" line is irrelevant: the woman has absolutely zero knowledge of what is necessary to run a country. She proved that without a shadow of a doubt in the Katie Couric interview. I have not seen Obama stare at a reporter with a deer-in-the-headlights stare, dissemble repeatedly, and finally say, "I'll get back to you on that." Nor has Obama hidden himself away from the press. Palin's inaccessibility is unprecedented for a candidate for high office. It is this blatant ignorance which makes her unacceptable as a candidate, not executive experience or lack thereof. As for her being a woman - I sincerely hope she does NOT get elected as it will set back women's rights for many years. Anyone against women's equality will simply point to her as a supreme example of why women shouldn't hold high office. Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:57:02 GMT+1 SamTyler1969 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=77#comment253 #219Dude,Those papers endorsed, umm, Obama. They did endorse McCain in the Republican primaries but surprisingly (in some cases) decided to endorse Obama for President.'Try to think Baldrick. Thinking is so important.'Sam Blackadder Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:53:23 GMT+1 selfevidenttruths http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=77#comment252 pkk: just been looking at the polls again, it would seem that Obama's lead in the national trackers is stable at around +6, but there is undeniable closing in certain states (PA, VA, CO). This makes me think that Obama is genuinely competitive in many states that were red in the last election. And that consequently McCain is having to deploy key resources to states he never thought he'd had to. Your thoughts ... Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:48:23 GMT+1 gtfc2007 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=77#comment251 Can anyone else remember the blog in which Justin Webb made a lazy comparison between Palin and Thatcher? Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:46:28 GMT+1 Cartponybefore http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=76#comment250 I wonder if This guy has a wiser view or not? Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:44:11 GMT+1 geomapgirl http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=76#comment249 #210 - Interesting to hear Swarzenegger's comments o Obama: "...scrawny...skinny...." That's IT? That's the best he can do?Considering the source (a man who made his fortune body-building), it's probably the worst insult he can possibly imagine.I admit to wondering what the political climate is like in his household, though ... Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:43:20 GMT+1 SamTyler1969 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=76#comment248 #231Minor correction. Edwards dropped out of the race because his ass was handed to him by HRC and Obama. It later turned out he was having an affair. The main controversy was that had he won this would have come out and been damaging in the Presidential campaign.Historian Sam Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:42:54 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=76#comment247 239. At 01:16am on 03 Nov 2008, MarcusAureliusII wrote:"I am not a conservative. I'm also not a liberal. I am not a Republican or a Democrat. "I highly doubt that. Why? See below " We'll see what happens when he's put to the test. He certainly isn't qualified to be Commander-in-Chief. Those aren't my words, they were Hillary Clinton's during the primaries. Now she renounces them. Was she lying then or is she lying now."Are you thinking the same about the criticism made against JMC by giuliani, Romney, Thompson, and Huckabee. Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:42:17 GMT+1 Nick-Gotts http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=75#comment246 "I have the benefit of having read all about the social climate of Britain and how its people behave because it was posted on the internet by people who claimed to know. In fact on BBC. In fact on this very blog site. In fact as I recall you were there too. I don't recall short memory as being one of the defects on the list of character traits typical of Englishmen on Justin Webb's list. Perhaps you are an anomoly or maybe it's just peculiar to you. Or perhaps you just don't want to remember what he said on that blog entry. I wouldn't blame you for trying to forget. It was hardly flattering."MAIIYou think a list of character traits on a blog makes you an expert on the country? Good grief, your stupidity is astounding. Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:42:14 GMT+1 SamTyler1969 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=75#comment245 #212Nessie,With a ying and a yang and a buzz buzz buzz.Although I fear this humour has been taken to a new level by the Mitchell and Webb Boys.'Hello? Darling, guess what? They've made me the new Fuhrer. Well they wouldn't have done it if things were going well, would they. Still, Heil me, eh? Heil me Darling'Amused Sam Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:41:24 GMT+1 selfevidenttruths http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=75#comment244 pkk: you're kickin' ass! lol - chilling out after work and having fun watching the world go by ... Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:40:33 GMT+1 gunsandreligion http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=74#comment243 niwus, #219, what do you think of this article? Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:36:14 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=74#comment242 231. At 00:59am on 03 Nov 2008, niwus00 wrote:But that's what its come to because the likes of CNN, ABC, and MSNBC refuse do their jobs!-------------In a capitalistic society free media does not have a dictated job description. They may have self-imposed responsibilities.Now if you want the media to toe your line then why do not you go to a communist country say China. You just need to become a party member there.But you probably are also frightened of Obama making this country a communist state. What a situation. Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:34:01 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=74#comment241 219. At 00:08am on 03 Nov 2008, niwus00 wrote:"- so i'm a sheep? not like the rest of you happily taking the steaming pile of BS spoon fed to you by your trusted media!"You mean fox too?"anyone who who even dares to ask a real question is cut off. Cenralists (and yes, so right leaning) radio stations are being shut down or muzzled. just a few days ago journalists from the New York times, the Washington Post, and the Dallas Morning News were sent packing because their papers endorsed McCain."First which stations were shut down(any links?). They were jettisoned from Obama's aircraft. Now, New York Times endorsed Obama. So did Washington post. Looks like in your hatred you forgot to see who is your friends and who is your enemy. Centralism is the concentration of power you probably wanted to say centrists. I am a non-native English speaker and I am embarrassed to correct your English. If you do not learn math and science at least learn your own language (mother tongue)" This is extremely disturbing behavior by Obama, and raises real questions about how an Obama administration would treat dissension from the press."I am guessing they wont use water boarding or wire tapping."- and don't let those polls fool you, even Gallup admits some 80% of people contacted refuse to participate (for some odd reason, gee I wonder why??!). The figures so proudly touted as Obamas insurmountable lead are only based on some 20% of those contacted. "The polls were accurate within few points (margin of error) when your buddy Bush won in 2004. They are not reliable when they say its close but are reliable when the gap is larger(still one needs to be cautious since the vote has not been cast). Could you provide me the link that has your "80%" claim?. I also suggest you to study statistics and sciences."This is why ACORNs involvement is so critical - he knows this thing is FAR from won, and stealing this thing (like the primaries) might just be the only way."With ACORN, yeah a guy named Micky Mouse caste a vote. You probably need to think a little but how such fictitious people can cast votes. The source of the problem has been revealed that a few greedy people registered fake names and that they require verification by the govt and that the fake names have been purged. A little bit of though is needed instead of blind hated. I am suggesting this as a fellow conservative(moderate). Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:25:32 GMT+1 JRhawk http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=73#comment240 #94StephenDerry for President !StephenDerry for President !Now, can you please show me to StephenDerryLand ? Does it have a border ? Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:24:14 GMT+1 Ed Iglehart http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=73#comment239 The ceellphone effect Interesting indeed!Peace and communicationsed Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:18:38 GMT+1 MarcusAureliusII http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=73#comment238 StephenDerry;Yes I was wrong about where Barack Obama spent his childhood. But as a politician he grew up in Chicago with Reverend Wrong, his crooked friends, and a terrorist. It's where he fell in with people who conspire to commit voterraud. Where could you find a better place this side of Zimbabwe? After all, that's how John Kennedy become President, by voter fraud in Chicago.I am not a conservative. I'm also not a liberal. I am not a Republican or a Democrat. I won't let you or anyone else neatly put me in a box. It might interest you to know that I learned to detest Republicans long before I learned to detest Democrats. The genius of America is that it survives and thrives in spite of its governments. Earlier this year, BBC wasted a lot of time trying to fill up space talking about children offering their opinions on world events, politics, and even voting. Now we'll get to see one in office. As a leader, Obama is a tyro far to inexperienced to be president. We'll see what happens when he's put to the test. He certainly isn't qualified to be Commander-in-Chief. Those aren't my words, they were Hillary Clinton's during the primaries. Now she renounces them. Was she lying then or is she lying now. David_CunardI have the benefit of having read all about the social climate of Britain and how its people behave because it was posted on the internet by people who claimed to know. In fact on BBC. In fact on this very blog site. In fact as I recall you were there too. I don't recall short memory as being one of the defects on the list of character traits typical of Englishmen on Justin Webb's list. Perhaps you are an anomoly or maybe it's just peculiar to you. Or perhaps you just don't want to remember what he said on that blog entry. I wouldn't blame you for trying to forget. It was hardly flattering. Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:16:31 GMT+1 Stephen Derry http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=72#comment237 *The polls are wrong. *The whole media is biased. *Obama's donations are from dodgy overseas sources. *Black people are only voting for him because he's black. *His candidacy is not valid because he is not a United States citizen. *If people knew the truth about him they wouldn't vote for him. *Sarah Palin has been unfairly ridiculed, that's the only reason no-one is voting for McCain. Does anyone else think this is all starting to sound like:a) Denialb) Whiningc) Excuses?Obama is the better candidate. He's won this election. He's going to be your new President. Deal with it. Better still, enjoy it! Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:07:38 GMT+1 selfevidenttruths http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=72#comment236 219 niwus00: lol ... Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:07:24 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=72#comment235 216. At 11:55pm on 02 Nov 2008, SirDaav wrote:All these nasty Palin comments, she's so stupid, she has no experience...She has more time in executive government than Obama. That's why he hired Joe "Amex" Biden.---------------She definitely has experience. But she is unqualified for the reasons I mentioned in #230. One more reason she is unqualified is that she appeals to the instincts of fear and hatred. That can not unite a divided country namely the "real America" and the "fake America". Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:07:12 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=72#comment234 216. At 11:55pm on 02 Nov 2008, SirDaav wrote:It's obvious it's because she's female - all the lipstick on pig jokes, Obama likes to take the somewhat higher road--------------------------------Actually Obama made that "lipstick on pig" comment and he explained that he used the same phrase JMC used hew days earlier. Obama also said that "Even if I made that comment about Palin, logically speaking, she would be lipstick and McCains failed policies would be the pig".Among the posts I read here(I did not read all) the only person that is making a decision based on "it's because she's female" is you SirDaav. Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:03:35 GMT+1 Desertann http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=71#comment233 The thing about Obama's aunt, is that it is a non-issue now. But can anyone believe that this story will go away? How will it be viewed if she gets special treatment, and allowed to stay in the US, while other illegal immigrants are rounded up and sent back to wherever they came from. (In Arizona, where I'm from, rounding up illegals is Sheriff Arpaio and his posse's favorite form of dealing with this problem). Certainly, now that she has been exposed, she cannot continue to live here illegally as she has done for many years. Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:03:05 GMT+1 john-In-Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=71#comment232 219. At 00:08am on 03 Nov 2008, niwus00 wrote:And they accuse Democrats of being hypnotised and drinking the Kool-Aid...... Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:02:17 GMT+1 john-In-Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=71#comment231 216. At 11:55pm on 02 Nov 2008, SirDaav wrote:"All these nasty Palin comments, she's so stupid, she has no experience...She has more time in executive government than Obama. That's why he hired Joe "Amex" Biden.It's obvious it's because she's female - all the lipstick on pig jokes, all the Hillary jokes about being a bitch. But when Obama did the same things he was being 'strong.' Women have to work so much harder - even harder than a black guy - to become accepted as a leader."1. It's not 'obvious' that it's because she's female. Any more than it's 'obvious' that those who oppose Obama are racist. As far as I know her ratings among independent voters, including women, are poor. 2. I didn't hear said 'bitch' jokes. [There was one 'lipstick on a pig' remark, which Mccain hypocritically zeroed in on - even after it was shown he had used the same expression.] I did read that at a McCain rally, when it looked like HRC would be the candidate, someone asked him 'how are you going to beat the bitch?' He didn't argue with the sentiment, as I recall Mon 03 Nov 2008 01:00:19 GMT+1 niwus00 http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=70#comment230 #221I don't defend the quality of these organizations, but the fact is the vast majority of the MSM is not only in the tank for Obama, but many times will either turn a blind eye or simply refuse to cover a possibly damaging story on a high-rising DEM. Remember John Edwards? He dropped out of the running because of an affair. Do you remember who broke the story? THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER!! Seriously - home to such outrageous crap as "my grand-mother gave birth to an alien". But that's what its come to because the likes of CNN, ABC, and MSNBC refuse do their jobs! Mon 03 Nov 2008 00:59:52 GMT+1 pkkmres http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=70#comment229 216. At 11:55pm on 02 Nov 2008, SirDaav wrote:All these nasty Palin comments, she's so stupid, she has no experience...She has more time in executive government than Obama. That's why he hired Joe "Amex" Biden.--------------------------I am with you on Palin's experience. Despite Obama having 10 years in Ill Senate, and 2 years in US senate, if some one says that Palin has more experience as 2 years as Alaska governor then I agree.However there is a weakness in the argument. You probably need to know little bit about Alaska and it helps if you have been there and traveled around the state.The state benefits from oil revenue and has billions of $ surplus. Which means there are no tough decision to take, which usually arise from deciding where to spend the scant money available. You can visit the state and ask any resident, they will tell you how each individual get around $2000 from the govt each year. This is supposed to be for using the state's resources.Majority of 660,000 people in this state(less than any medium US city) stay around Anchorage-Matsu valley. There are less than 10 paved highways in the entire state. Having traveled around the state I can say that from administration point of view, there are few(if any) challenges. Now is that my problem with Palin? Experience?. No. Lets assume that she has been governor of a "real state"(in her words) which actually requires some tough decisions to take. And that she has more executive experience than Obama, which she does.Does that make her any better candidate? No. She lacks basic intelligence and reasoning skills, but she is really ambitious. I can see Russia(to that effect) so I have foreign policy experience(foreign policy is a federal issue, not state; a senator is better equipped). She lacks basic intelligence and reasoning skills, but she is really ambitious. And it also shows her lack of curiosity. She started talking about bail out and went into health care, job creation in Couric interview. No clue at all. She is ambitious despite all the deficiencies. A mistake here and there anyone can make but look at the trend and the nature of mistakes. But she is running for VP not P. The problem is JMC is 72 and has melanoma, apart from him having crazy ideas.Now SirDaav you say "It's funny how these democrat supporters think sexism is OK ". I am not a democrat but from your post it looks like the sole reason you switched to Palin is that you got to vote for a female. Now that makes you sexist. You probably need to sit down and think what Hillary Clinton has in common with Palin. If you can not find any reason other than that she has a uterus, you can conclusively prove to yourself that you are sexist. Mon 03 Nov 2008 00:56:20 GMT+1 john-In-Dublin http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=70#comment228 213. At 11:47pm on 02 Nov 2008, TheHandOfHistory wrote:"I just want to congratulate john-in-dublin on being the first comment.Well done John."This is not just my victory - this is a victory for all of us.I'd just like to thank the Academy, my lawyer, my agent, my butler, my chauffeur - and of course all the little people out there who have given me their support over the years - for making this all possible;-pDeeply Humble John Mon 03 Nov 2008 00:53:19 GMT+1 oldnat http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=69#comment227 Enough of all this human election stuff!Hideouts give red squirrels a chance of surviving the grey invasion Mon 03 Nov 2008 00:48:20 GMT+1 everyoneiscrazy http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=69#comment226 "It's funny how these democrat supporters think sexism is OK "We don't.No body ever made the lipstick on a pig jibe about Palin. She said herself what is the difference between a hockey mom and a rothweiller - lipstick.She uses her feminism and looks (i wouldn't kick her out of the bed for eating crisps) constantly through flirting and winking yet when she is criticised sexism is brought up. Most of her "executive" experience is mayor of a town with approx 6000 people and a $12m budget."Women have to work so much harder - even harder than a black guy - to become accepted as a leader"Riiiiiiiight. It is a widely held view that if Clinton and been picked she would have a lot less issues than Obama does. Now if it was a black woman i could see your point, racism is much more widespreas then sexism in America.We think she is stupid as she has shown herself to be ignorant on a huge number of issues. If she were a man she would get the same amount of stick. Republican must also think sexism is ok as they most likely chose her to pick up Clinton votes that were sore with Obama.Actually, if she were a man, she'd be George W Bush. Mon 03 Nov 2008 00:43:44 GMT+1 David Cunard http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/11/the_wiser_view.html?page=69#comment225 #210. nessie1945 "Interesting to hear Schwarzenegger's comments on Obama: "...scrawny...skinny...." That's IT?"Pretty nervy, considering that he looks like this! As former California Governor Jerry Brown said, "Less is more", which applies to Mr Obama as well. Mon 03 Nov 2008 00:41:34 GMT+1