recently i was thinking is winning the world cup a too much of a high expectation, considering these reasons.....
1) besides croatia- who have we actually beaten, that can be considered a good team? we lost to spain, lost to brazil. both times thoroughly outplayed and any argument that cappello has since improved the side is flawed beacuse the same thing can be said about brazil and spain.
2) england is a small country with high expectations. realistically reaching semi finals should be considered a succes in my opionion.
3) Not enough world class players. Every england player is hyped by the british media. we have a thing that the premier league is the best league in the world and so english players playing in it should all be world class and better than those playing in other leagues. players from other countries are much better than we think they are (thanks to the media). we have 1 or 2 world class players in our team, you cant win a world cup relying on two players.
4) we rely on too many individuals. take for example rooney. ''if rooney gets injured we cant win the world cup'' is exactly the kind of thinking that will never win us the world cup. if spain lose torres, xavi or even iniesta- they will still be favourites. if brazil lose robinho or kaka they will still have players who can come in and step up to the task. these teams win beacuse they play as a TEAM! not rely on individuals. although to an extent you have to have players who can change games but not as far as we do with england.
5) not enough hard work. the players DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT MENTALITY to win the wc. most of them are overpayed, over hyped players who have lost the understanding of hard work. you go to countries like brazil, argentian, spain and players work tremendously hard, have the right mentality, would die for the shirt they wear and are not driven by money but are driven success.
the combination of these reasons is why i belive england wont win the WC unless drastic changes take place.