For a game where the Lions were expecting to win comfortably it was a pretty flattering scoreline. It's not a good sign when competent performances seem outstanding.
15. Lee Byrne - 8 - Competent as always in the kicking game, made some good breaks and showed great vision for his admittedly fortunate try. Kearney will need to impress to take away his test place.
14. Tommy Bowe - 7 - Showed great ability under the high ball, showed good support and made a couple of decent runs. An all-round solid performance at the back despite not getting any decent ball from Earls.
13. Keith Earls - 2 - Fumbled the ball 5 times in the opening twenty minutes, and kicked the ball straight out in frustration after knocking the ball back giving the Royals the field position which set up their first try. Appears to lack some mental toughness.
12. Jamie Roberts - 7 - One of the few bright spots of a dismal first half. Ran straight, ran hard and made breaks. Didn't get much support and faded in the 2nd half but a pretty solid performance.
11. Shane Williams - 5 - Didn't play particularly badly but fumbled a few times and seemed to have lost his sense of geography entirely at times. Worrying.
10. Ronan O'Gara - 7 - Place-kicking was as reliable as ever. Coped well with poor ball. It will be interesting to see how he plays with better service from scrum half.
9. Mike Blair - 4 - Shambolic first half, with poor distribution and lack of communication at the back of the scrum and ruck. Pretorius showed him up big time.
8. David Wallace - 3 - Partially responsible for losing ball at the scrum, made unforced errors and didn't get the Lions moving forward.
7. Martyn Williams - 4 - Anonymous for most of the game.
6. Joe Worsley - 3 - Anonymous for pretty much all of the game.
5. Paul O'Connell - 5 - Captaining qualities will be questioned after this performance, but came good towards the end. Didn't lead by example to the same extent as he does Munster. Needed to have a quiet word to calm Earls down early in the 1st half.
4. Simon Shaw - 4 - Guilty of trying to do too much by giving away silly penalties, but otherwise solid.
3. Adam Jones - 5 - Looked strong in the scrum early on but that disappeared in the second half.
2. Matthew Rees - 3 - Throwing was off and didn't look his usual self in the loose.
1. Andrew Sheridan - 4 - Same as Adam Jones but his lack of discipline in defence allowed Barnes to score untouched from the rolling maul.