Woodville High Street - in the 1930s?
"About a mile S.E. from Hartshorn is the prosperous hamlet of WOODEN BOX, where there are many pottery works, the inhabitants are almost exclusively employed." (Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835)
That description of this South Derbyshire village is now somewhat outdated - Woodville was one of many mining communities in the South Derbyshire coalfields, which developed during the second half of the Nineteenth Century.
But once the seams were exhausted, some of the local shallow pits turned their attentions to extracting clays - which led to the development of Woodville as a manufacturer of earthenware goods.
And more recently, the development of the National Forest has brought other industries and tourism to the area.
The name "Wooden Box" derived from the old toll booth which used to be on the road from Burton on Trent to Ashby de la Zouch (now the A511).
Woodville's population is around 5,000.
last updated: 16/09/2008 at 14:06
Have Your Say