Minister says police to carry out review of safety at public events in Scotland
Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said Police Scotland would carry out a review of safety at public events in Scotland, following the deaths of three people at the Jim Clark rally.
The minister said the Scottish government would also commission a review of motor sport event safety in the country in light of the tragedy.
Mr MacAskill insisted lessons would be learned following the accident during a ministerial statement on 3 June 2014.
Iain Provan, 64, Elizabeth Allan, 63 and Len Stern, 71, were killed in what was the second of two crashes during the Jim Clark Rally in the Scottish Borders on Saturday afternoon.
Two other injured men, both 61, are still in hospital - one in a stable condition and one in a critical but stable condition in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
"We have had discussions with Police Scotland about the need to review spectator safety more generally," Mr MacAskill said.
Mr MacAskill said the review will happen over the next four weeks, ahead of major events including the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles.
He said "I know that the whole chamber will wish to join me in expressing condolences to the families and friends of those who were killed or injured".
A full police investigation, under the direction of the Crown Office, is now under way into the circumstances and a Police Scotland Major Investigation Team is in place.
Ettrick, Roxburgh and Berwickshire MSP John Lamont also expressed condolences to the families of the victims, but urged caution against a "knee jerk reaction" that might lead to premature decisions about the long established rally.
Mr MacAskill said the rally had been run for 44 years without any previous tragedy and he would "ensure we don't rush to judgement, but we do have to ensure lessons are learnt".