from 1090, this is another castle built upon the ruins of a Roman
Constructed by William Rufus when the land was annexed from the
Scots, it stood as defence to the English lands until 1136. Then
both Brough Castle and Appleby Castle were taken by the Scots, and
held until 1157, when they were retaken by the English.
during 1173/4 the castle was besieged by the Scottish king, William
the Lion. After valiant efforts by the six knights and their followers,
the castle was surrendered. Then much of it was destroyed by the
Scottish army, except for the outer walls and the base of the keep.
Keep at Brough Castle
restoration work was carried out on the castle, between 1179 and
1190, by Theobold de Valoines. However it wasn't until 1203, when
the castle was given over to Robert de Vipont by John I, that any
major works were carried out.
refortified the castle and built the gatehouse too, as well as repairing
the keep and curtain walls. He also added a hall across the courtyard.
1269 the castle passed into the Clifford family. They added a tower,
known as Cliffords Tower and a new hall.
Castle remained the preferred home of the Cliffords until 1521,
when it was destroyed by a great fire during the Christmas feasts.
remained in a state of disrepair until 1661 when Lady Anne Clifford
took an interest, as she did with Brougham and Appleby, and started
restoration works on the castle. In 1663 a plaque was erected in
the castle to commemorate Lady Anne's efforts in the restoration.
her death in 1679, the castle passed to her grandson, Thomas Tufton.
He started the demolition of the castle, taking stone to repair
the castle at Appleby, and soon after this the roofs and fittings
were sold off and the stone used to repair local buildings. Even
Lady Anne's commemorative plaque was taken and used beneath the
watermill at Brough.
castle was passed to the Ministry of Works in 1920, and it was only
just saved it from total collapse. The castle is now cared for by
view from Brough Castle, looking east.
Entrance to Brough Castle is free and the castle is open all the
By Road: 8 miles SE of Appleby S of A66 (OS Map 91; ref NY
By Train: Kirkby Stephen 6 miles
By Bus: Grand Prix service 564 Kendal - Brough (passing Kirkby
Stephen and Oxenholme stations); Stagecoach Cumbria/Grand Prix service
563 Penrith - Brough (passing Penrith).