The Lord Leycester Hospital is a medieval treasure in the heart of Warwick. Its toffee-coloured timber frame entices visitors, who are not disappointed by the equally striking interior.
The building is so eye-catching and rich with history that it has been used in a number of television films, including Pride and Prejudice, Tom Jones and Moll Flanders.
To enjoy a virtual tour of the Lord Leycester Hospital, just click on each of the images on this page. A new window will open containing a 360 degree tour for you to explore.
Click on the image above to start the tour of the Lord Leycester Hospital
The site we now call the Lord Leycester Hospital was created as a home to the Guild of the Holy Trinity and St George which was formed in 1383 to help with education and charity.
In 1571 permission was give to Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leycester, to turn the site into a hospital for soldiers injured during the service of Queen Elizabeth I.
It was then that most of the buildings we see today were built on the site. The cluster of historic buildings include a medieval hospital, a chapel, reception rooms, living quarters, meeting rooms and a banqueting hall.
Click on the image above to to look around the great dining hall
The arch from the hospital that encroaches on the main road is a striking feature of the site. This is evidence of the town's West Gate. Warwick was once a walled town with three main entrances, North Gate, East Gate, and West Gate. The West Gate remains part of the Lord Leycester Hospital today.
Click on the image above to have a virtual tour of the hospital's chapel
The site was restored in the 1950s and 60s and the hospital was opened after its restoration by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, on 3 November 1966.
Today, eight ex-servicemen and their wives live in modernised flats and in return give their services towards the running of the hospital. The site is now a self-supporting charity relying largely on income from visitors.
The Lord Leycester Hospital has a couple of additional attractions that are well worth a visit.
The Master's Garden
The Master's Garden is well worth seeing, as it is perfectly designed to compliment the historic buildings in a very small space.
The garden has recently been restored and brings a fresh attraction to the site.
Museum of the Queen's Own Hussars
The hospital also houses the Museum of the Queen's Own Hussars which is a remarkable collection of militaria in an intimate and quirky museum.
The hospital's tea room is also gathering a reputation as one of the best places in Warwick for lunch or afternoon tea. It gets the website team's personal vote for excellent cake, at least!
The Lord Leycester Hospital, including The Queen's Own Hussars Museum,
is open all year round at the following times:
Mondays - closed apart from bank holidays
Tuesdays - Saturdays
Summer 10am - 5pm
Winter 10am - 4pm
The Master's Garden is open from Easter to the end of September
Tuesdays - Saturdays and bank holiday Mondays, 10am - 4.30pm.
Prices are approximate and can change, but as a guide, admission
is about £3 for adults and £2 for children.
Contact the Lord Leycester Hospital on 01926 491422.