Print this page
What is my "Delivery Date"?
- The delivery date will be specified in your commissioning documents and will form part of the contract. If in doubt, please check with your commissioning contact. The delivery date will usually be determined by the programme's Topicality Status
- Any variation to the contracted delivery date must be formally agreed (by writing or email).
What do we mean by "Topicality Status"?
- The "Topicality Status" of a programme is determined by the editorial nature of its content. A "topical" status will be awarded only to those programmes which relate directly to live or current events and therefore require some last-minute production.
- The Topicality Status will be specified in your commissioning documents or contract. If in doubt, please check with your Business Affairs Manager.
|Topicality Status||Code||Programme Types||Delivering to:|
|Non-topical programmes||N|| ||A specified date only|
|Late Commissions||X||Non-topical programmes:rapid turnaround from commission to delivery||A specified date and time|
|Week Topical Programmes||5|
- a programme with 'week specific' elements within its content
- people of the week chat shows
|A specified date 5 days before transmission|
|Day Before Topical Programmes||1|
- a programme with a 'news' element within it
- weekly review programmes
- spin-offs linked to live shows
|A specified date and time up to 24 hours before transmission|
|On Day Topical Programmes||0|
- a news programme (but not other factual documentary series unless another criterion is met)
- highlights programmes connected to earlier sport or other live event
|A specified date and time up to 2 hours before transmission|
|Quick Turnaround Programmes||Q||Programmes which, because of essential last-minute preparation and/or location of the editing/recording facility, cannot deliver the tape to Playout, e.g.sports or events highlights edited and transmitted from OB facilities||A specified date and time|
|Live Programmes||L||Live feeds||A specified date and time|
- These Topicality Status classifications are used throughout BBC TV and Radio.
- Any variation to the contracted Topicality Status must be formally agreed (by writing or email) with your Business Affairs Manager.
- Strands will be commissioned with their appropriate least topical status, and production departments will need to agree any necessary changes to this status for individual programmes as above.
- Live and Quick turnround programmes are subject to special requirements - check here for details.
What do we mean by "Compliance"?
Editorial compliance - every programme made for the BBC must adhere to the BBC Editorial Guidelines and Credit & Branding Guidelines.
Technical Compliance - every programme made for the BBC must comply with the Technical Specification to ensure it passes Technical Review.
What happens if things change before the delivery date?
Any changes/exceptions requested by the channel or the production to the commission (say changes to the delivery date, duration or Topicality Status) MUST be confirmed in writing or by e-mail between the commissioning executive (or their nominated representative)and the production department/company. Only changes confirmed in this way will be recognised as affecting contractual delivery dates or other criteria.
What happens if things change after the delivery date?
- If things change (e.g. for legal or editorial reasons) after the delivery date then they may have an impact on the channel schedule. TV Planning & Scheduling plan and schedule all non-CBBC programmes on BBC ONE, BBC TWO, BBC THREE and BBC FOUR. CBBC plan and schedule all CBBC services including CBEEBIES and the CBBC channel. Playout manage the transmission of the programmes on all these channels. BBC Scotland Commissioning & Scheduling plan and schedule BBC Scotland.
- Any change MUST be agreed between the relevant scheduler and the production department/company. This agreement must be confirmed in writing or by e-mail.
- All duration changes/exceptions for network transmission made less than three weeks before the relevant transmission week must be made in consultation with Playout Planning.
- Note that changes to the duration, delivery date and Topicality Status are not directly negotiable with Playout Planning or Playout.