Open University Commissioning
Watch a showreel of Open University co-funded commissions
The BBC and the Open University (OU) wish to combine the best of both organisations’ resources and talents to reach the widest possible audience with innovative, exciting and inspiring content. They work in partnership to co-produce programmes from in-house and independent suppliers, totalling around 25 learning journey projects a year across all BBC TV channels and radio stations.
A Learning Journey is the educational journey that enhances and enriches the broadcast experience that the viewer takes after watching/listening to the programme.
The OU, through its nominated academic/s, will provide regular input into the production process including reasonable attendance at production team meetings.
All Learning Journey projects shall include a request made to the audience to continue the Learning Journey by accessing free complementary materials produced by The OU. The call-to-action will be collaboratively agreed in advance of the online edit. See the OU production page for more information.
Programme makers should refer to the relevant BBC Factual Commissioning team or the key contact for the Open University.
Find out more about how to deliver to the Open University.
Priority subject areas 2014 - 2015
The OU is interested in factual commissioning in the areas of:
- Arts and History
- Business and Management
- Education and Languages
- Health and Social Care
- Technology including Maths and Computing
- Science and Nature
The OU is interested in supporting proposals which:
- Inspire people to find out more about subjects or topics by visiting OU’s Open Learn, the Open Educational Resources portal for free learning.
- Provide the stimulus for further study at The Open University.
- Are intellectually challenging and focus on priority subject areas.
- Explore new ways of delivering content and interactivity for the audience, via mobile, online and on demand services.
- Stimulate 'local' audiences and provide outreach in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and English Regions.
- Connect to the OU's teaching and provide material for modules.
Overview of recent projects
Commissioning (for Learning Journey projects)
The Head of Broadcast Commissioning at The Open University meets regularly with Factual Commissioners to identify future projects.
Working with the OU
Find out more about delivering to the Open University.
Terms of trade
The process is the same for independent productions and the agreement with the independent will incorporate the OU rights and requirements.
Find out more about the Open University production and delivery requirements including credit and publicity guidance.
Can't find what you need? Search here.
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here