Pitching to Radio
Find out how to pitch to and be commissioned by BBC Radio.
To pitch to a BBC Network Radio Station your independent production company must sign up to the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database.
If you wish to pitch to a non-Network Radio station please see the links below:
Pitching to the World Service
Pitching to BBC Wales
Pitching to BBC Radio Cymru
As a member of the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database you'll be able to pitch to BBC radio networks, hear about commissioning rounds and receive further relevant information.
The requirements for entry on the database are:
- Being a registered corporate entity.
- Have experience of delivering whole programmes to Network Radio, or have access to people who have experience of delivering whole programmes to Network Radio.
- Enlisted on the Data Protection Act register (or good reason why not) and be willing to complete relevant training if needed.
- You will need to agree to the BBC Radio technical specifications, the Health and Safety requirements and the BBC's General Terms and the Terms and Conditions for Proteus.
For further help, read the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database FAQ document.
If you are not a member of an independent production company please see Ideas from the Public for more information.
Independent companies who do not have a Proteus account and who wish to submit programme ideas, must first be registered on the BBC Radio Independent Production Company Database (see above).
Existing users: log on to Proteus now
Proteus is a system which is owned and developed by the BBC. It is a "one stop shop" for all programme-related information for BBC Radio.
It is used by internal BBC radio departments and independent productions companies to:
- create and submit programme ideas
- complete programme descriptions and compliance
- create running orders (including contributors and music items)
- submit music reporting
Users in the BBC networks access the system to commission radio programme ideas, create programme schedules, support play-out and generate reports. The system is also used by BBC finance areas to track programme costs and support financial forecasting.
A login may take up to a week to be assigned if you meet the criteria to be added to the Radio Independant company database, so please let us know in good time if you require a login ahead of a commissioning round. You will need to agree to the Proteus Terms and Conditions of usage before a login can be issued.
- Issues with Proteus may be a result of the web browser being used. Ensure Proteus is opened in Internet Explorer 8 or Google Chrome.
- Use the Forgotten Password button on the login screen to re-set the password.
- Proteus will automatically shut commissioning rounds on the published deadline date/time. Proposals in progress will not be submitted after the deadline.
Can't find what you need? Search here.
Latest Radio News
BBC Russian service’s iconic presenter Seva Novgorodsev will sign off from his programme, BBSeva, for the last time on Friday 4 September 2015, culminating his 38-year broadcasting career with the BBC.
Woman’s Hour Takeover week returns on BBC Radio 4 from Monday 14 - Friday 18 September as once again five remarkable women take over the programme.
The Official Top 50 best-selling UK Singles of Elvis and The Beatles were revealed today in a chart countdown across the day on BBC Radio 2, as part of a weekend of special programming to mark the 50th anniversary of one of the most momentous meetings in music between the rock and roll titans.
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here