Pitching to Radio
Find out how to pitch to and be commissioned by BBC Radio.
To pitch to a BBC Network Radio Station your independent production company must sign up to the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database.
If you wish to pitch to a non-Network Radio station please see the links below:
Pitching to the World Service
Pitching to BBC Wales
Pitching to BBC Radio Cymru
As a member of the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database you'll be able to pitch to BBC radio networks, hear about commissioning rounds and receive further relevant information.
The requirements for entry on the database are:
- Being a registered corporate entity.
- Have experience of delivering whole programmes to Network Radio, or have access to people who have experience of delivering whole programmes to Network Radio.
- Enlisted on the Data Protection Act register (or good reason why not) and be willing to complete relevant training if needed.
- You will need to agree to the BBC Radio technical specifications, the Health and Safety requirements and the BBC's General Terms and the Terms and Conditions for Proteus.
For further help, read the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database FAQ document.
If you are not a member of an independent production company please see Ideas from the Public for more information.
Independent companies who do not have a Proteus account and who wish to submit programme ideas, must first be registered on the BBC Radio Independent Production Company Database (see above).
Existing users: log on to Proteus now
Proteus is a system which is owned and developed by the BBC. It is a "one stop shop" for all programme-related information for BBC Radio.
It is used by internal BBC radio departments and independent productions companies to:
- create and submit programme ideas
- complete programme descriptions and compliance
- create running orders (including contributors and music items)
- submit music reporting
Users in the BBC networks access the system to commission radio programme ideas, create programme schedules, support play-out and generate reports. The system is also used by BBC finance areas to track programme costs and support financial forecasting.
A login may take up to a week to be assigned if you meet the criteria to be added to the Radio Independant company database, so please let us know in good time if you require a login ahead of a commissioning round. You will need to agree to the Proteus Terms and Conditions of usage before a login can be issued.
- Issues with Proteus may be a result of the web browser being used. Ensure Proteus is opened in Internet Explorer 8 or Google Chrome.
- Use the Forgotten Password button on the login screen to re-set the password.
- Proteus will automatically shut commissioning rounds on the published deadline date/time. Proposals in progress will not be submitted after the deadline.
Can't find what you need? Search here.
Latest Radio News
The BBC today confirms the line up of some of its best-loved programmes that will be coming live from Sheffield during the World Snooker Championships (18 April to 4 May), in addition to BBC Sport’s comprehensive coverage across TV, Red Button and online.
BBC Tamil TV news bulletins of regional and international news will be broadcast by Thanthi TV in Tamil Nadu, India, thanks to a partnership between BBC World Service and Thanthi TV.
The BBC has announced the launch of the BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year competition – the first of its kind hosted by a global broadcaster.
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here