Pitching to Radio
Find out how to pitch to and be commissioned by BBC Radio.
To pitch to a BBC Network Radio Station your independent production company must sign up to the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database.
If you wish to pitch to a non-Network Radio station please see the links below:
Pitching to the World Service
Pitching to BBC Wales
Pitching to BBC Radio Cymru
As a member of the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database you'll be able to pitch to BBC radio networks, hear about commissioning rounds and receive further relevant information.
The requirements for entry on the database are:
- Being a registered corporate entity.
- Have experience of delivering whole programmes to Network Radio, or have access to people who have experience of delivering whole programmes to Network Radio.
- Enlisted on the Data Protection Act register (or good reason why not) and be willing to complete relevant training if needed.
- You will need to agree to the BBC Radio technical specifications, the Health and Safety requirements and the BBC's General Terms and the Terms and Conditions for Proteus.
For further help, read the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database FAQ document.
If you are not a member of an independent production company please see Ideas from the Public for more information.
Independent companies who do not have a Proteus account and who wish to submit programme ideas, must first be registered on the BBC Radio Independent Production Company Database (see above).
Existing users: log on to Proteus now
Proteus is a system which is owned and developed by the BBC. It is a "one stop shop" for all programme-related information for BBC Radio.
It is used by internal BBC radio departments and independent productions companies to:
- create and submit programme ideas
- complete programme descriptions and compliance
- create running orders (including contributors and music items)
- submit music reporting
Users in the BBC networks access the system to commission radio programme ideas, create programme schedules, support play-out and generate reports. The system is also used by BBC finance areas to track programme costs and support financial forecasting.
A login may take up to a week to be assigned if you meet the criteria to be added to the Radio Independant company database, so please let us know in good time if you require a login ahead of a commissioning round. You will need to agree to the Proteus Terms and Conditions of usage before a login can be issued.
- Issues with Proteus may be a result of the web browser being used. Ensure Proteus is opened in Internet Explorer 8 or Google Chrome.
- Use the Forgotten Password button on the login screen to re-set the password.
- Proteus will automatically shut commissioning rounds on the published deadline date/time. Proposals in progress will not be submitted after the deadline.
Can't find what you need? Search here.
Latest Radio News
Today the BBC and Hay Festival unveiled the line-up for this year’s BBC tent at Hay Festival 2015 (Thursday 21 to Sunday 31 May). Part of a major three year global partnership with Hay, announced last year by Director General Tony Hall, the BBC Tent and venues across the site will host a series of free events and live recordings of the organisation’s flagship shows. There will also be coverage of the festival’s greatest writers, thinkers and performers across its programmes on radio, television and online.
BBC World Service awarded a George Foster Peabody Award - special Ebola Service honoured for public service
BBC World Service has been honored with a George Foster Peabody award for public service for its Ebola Service it was announced today.
BBC Proms 2015: Sir Mark Elder joins TV presenter line-up for world’s largest broadcast classical music festival
• Conductor Sir Mark Elder (pictured) curates BBC Four Sunday symphony series with Katie Derham as part of regular Proms broadcasts on Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays on BBC Four • Every Prom broadcast live on BBC Radio 3 and online in HD sound • Six of the BBC’s national radio stations - Radio 1, 1Xtra, 2, 4, 6 Music and the Asian Network - also broadcast Proms • All Proms from the Royal Albert Hall available to listen online in surround sound
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here