Pitching to Radio
Find out how to pitch to and be commissioned by BBC Radio.
To pitch to a BBC Network Radio Station or the World Service your independent production company must sign up to the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database.
If you wish to pitch to a non-Network Radio station please see the links below:
Pitching to BBC Wales
Pitching to BBC Radio Cymru
As a member of the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database you'll be able to pitch to BBC radio networks, hear about commissioning rounds and receive further relevant information.
The requirements for entry on the database are:
- Being a registered corporate entity.
- Have experience of delivering whole programmes to Network Radio, or have access to people who have experience of delivering whole programmes to Network Radio.
- Enlisted on the Data Protection Act register (or good reason why not) and be willing to complete relevant training if needed.
- You will need to agree to the BBC Radio technical specifications, the Health and Safety requirements and the BBC's General Terms and the Terms and Conditions for Proteus.
If you meet the criteria to join the database please complete the Independent Production Company Registration Form and email to RadioCommissioningEnquiries@bbc.co.uk. If you are applying because you have an interest in proposing ideas the BBC World Service please email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further help, read the BBC Radio Independent Production Company database FAQ document.
If you are not a member of an independent production company please see Ideas from the Public for more information.
Independent companies who do not have a Proteus account and who wish to submit programme ideas, must first be registered on the BBC Radio Independent Production Company Database (see above).
Existing users: log on to Proteus now
Proteus is a system which is owned and developed by the BBC. It is a "one stop shop" for all programme-related information for BBC Radio.
It is used by internal BBC radio departments and independent productions companies to:
- create and submit programme ideas
- complete programme descriptions and compliance
- create running orders (including contributors and music items)
- submit music reporting
Users in the BBC networks access the system to commission radio programme ideas, create programme schedules, support play-out and generate reports. The system is also used by BBC finance areas to track programme costs and support financial forecasting.
A login may take up to a week to be assigned if you meet the criteria to be added to the Radio Independant company database, so please let us know in good time if you require a login ahead of a commissioning round. You will need to agree to the Proteus Terms and Conditions of usage before a login can be issued.
- Issues with Proteus may be a result of the web browser being used. Ensure Proteus is opened in Internet Explorer 8 or Google Chrome.
- Use the Forgotten Password button on the login screen to re-set the password.
- Proteus will automatically shut commissioning rounds on the published deadline date/time. Proposals in progress will not be submitted after the deadline.
Can't find what you need? Search here.
Latest Radio News
Radio 4 has announced the appointment of its first Poet in Residence, Daljit Nagra, as Andrew Marr and some of Britain’s most loved poets mark National Poetry Day on the network with We British: An Epic In Poetry – telling the story of Britain through its poetry, from the earliest verses ever written on the British Isles to some of the latest.
Independent commentary and analysis of current affairs from BBC Ukrainian (BBC Україна) is now available directly to viewers of one of Ukraine’s leading TV channels, ICTV.
BBC Bitesize is commissioning nine, three minute animated films to support students in developing their revision skills and the skills required to successfully understand and respond to examination questions.
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here