There are 11 rooms on four floors
Exploring the Georgian House
Another of Bristol's often-overlooked museums can be found just off of Park Street, in the centre of the city, and is of particular interest for those finding out more about the city's links with slavery.
The Georgian House Museum was formerly a private residence, built in 1790 by John Pinney (1740-1818) who earned his fortune from sugar plantations on the Caribbean island of Nevis.
It was also home to his personal valet - and slave - a man of African-Caribbean origin named Pero.
Pero was probably born on Nevis and was sold to plantation owner John Pinney when he was only 12, along with two younger sisters.
He soon learnt the trade of a valet, even how to pull teeth, something barbers traditionally did in those days before dentists. He could read and had an eye for business, trading whenever he could in small goods on the plantation.
Pero's Bridge was named after a slave
When John Pinney returned to live with his family in Bristol in 1783, he brought Pero with him, but left Pero's sisters behind.
Pero was eventually freed by his owner after years working at the Georgian House and died in 1798, aged 45, in Ashton, Bristol.
In 1999 the part he played in the city's past was acknowledged when a footbridge at the Harbourside was named Pero's Bridge in remembrance.
Now owned by the city council, the house is displayed as it might have looked in the 18th century and provides an insight into life above and below stairs.
There are 11 rooms spread over four floors. These include: the basement, where you can see the kitchen, housekeeper's room, pantry and John Pinney's cold water plunge pool; formal rooms including John Pinney's office, two dining rooms, a library and two drawing rooms and the second floor bedroom.
The museum's located just off Park St
There's also a small exhibition on the Pinney's involvement in the sugar trade and Pero.
Ironically a portrait of ardent abolitionist, playwright and religious writer Hannah More can also be found in the House.
On 1 August 2007, Emancipation Day, a new interpretation at the Georgian House is being launched as part of the commemoration of 200 years after the Abolition of the Slave Trade Act.
Visitors will be able to learn more about how the profits from commercial trading and the transatlantic slave trade helped to shape the city of Bristol we know today. This will be a permanent feature of the house.
You can find the Georgian House Museum at 7 Great George Street
When is it open?
Saturday - Wednesday: 10am - 5pm
Cost of entry?
Entry to all Bristol City Council museums is free.
Access is limited because of the age and layout of the house. There are three flights of stairs, no lift and no toilet.
last updated: 11/03/2008 at 11:40