Igloo in Llandinam
Thursday 7 January 2010, 16:35
I've been inundated with snow pictures over the last few days - beautiful landscapes from all over Wales and once this snow melts, I'll go through them all and place the best ones into our world famous 'snow gallery
This picture came in from a local eskimo who goes by the name of Rhys Mullan...
Rhys, Nathan and Eleri from Llandinam, Mid Wales spent most of the day building this igloo which
includes a fireplace, chimney and garden statue:
Well done guys! I salute you for your efforts. You have far too much time on your hands ;)
I like to try and make this blog educational whenever possible so here are my top 5 igloo facts:
- The word igloo comes from the Inuit word for 'house'.
- Igloos were originally built as temporary hunting lodges.
- Skilled eskimos can build an igloo in an hour.
- A full grown man can stand in an igloo without collapsing it.
- A properly built igloo can withstand hurricane force winds on the open snow.
I managed to make a snow penguin last year but most people thought it was a sparrow so I've officially retired from the snow sculpting scene
Other news...Rosemary Wilson, from Abercamlo Farm, near Llandrindod Wells called to say that the temperature where she lives fell to just below -20 this morning. She has had no water as their well is completely frozen!
If you've got a quirky snow photo or fact, then send it to me here at firstname.lastname@example.org
and I'll feature it in the blog. Try and think outside the box.
Take care out thereGull
Share this page
- Lostprophets The Betrayed track by track guide
Thursday 7 January 2010, 11:47
- Ones to watch: Hail! The Planes
Thursday 7 January 2010, 17:00