« Previous | Main | Next »

How do you deal with noisy neighbours?

The One Show Team | 17:15 UK time, Tuesday, 19 May 2009

A recent polled claims that more than a third of us Britons are affected by noisy neighbours.

Matt Allwright was on the show to give us some advice on how to get the volume turned down. His tips include...

1) Try and solve the problem with your neighbour in a friendly way, without involving the local authority in the first instance. Often or not, your neighbours won't know they are causing a nuisance and will probably be more considerate in future.

Never approach your neighbour when the noise is actually happening. You are more likely to be angry and have an argument with them.

2) If talking to your neighbour directly doesn't work, then the next step is to try mediation. Most local authorities will be able to provide a free mediation service between yourself and your neighbour, where a neutral party will come round and look to negotiate a peaceful settlement.

3) If all reasonable steps have been taken to sort the matter out privately, the next option is to contact the Environmental Health department in your local authority. By law, the local authorities have a duty to deal with any noise that they consider to be what's known as a 'statutory nuisance'. 

4) If the local authority decide not to intervene, or for whatever reason you do not wish to involve them, you can take your case to a Magistrate's Court (Sheriff's Court in Scotland).  You must have already taken steps to deal with the matter privately before you can bring it to court.

More information at Direct.gov.uk.

How do you deal with noisy neighbours? Share your hints and tips here.


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.