The next series of The Archers' spin-off Ambridge Extra starts on Tuesday 3 July. And this time it will take listeners a long, long way from Ambridge.
The first bit is set in South Africa, where Phoebe Aldridge has spent the best part of a year living with her mother Kate. Phoebe's had a pretty good time in Johannesburg up to now. But when Kate's around, nothing runs smoothly for ever.
As well as Kate and Phoebe you'll meet:
- Lucas: Kate's husband, a radio journalist whose career aspirations start to cause friction at home.
- Delia: Kate's mother-in-law makes and sells ceramics, and keeps a close eye on her son's family.
- Michael: Kate's father-in-law. Retired headteacher, now lecturing in education.
- Johan: A university colleague of Michael's, and an adviser to the women's crisis centre where Kate works.
- Mandisa: (pictured above) Phoebe's school friend.
- Milton: Mandisa's sister's boyfriend, who turns Phoebe's head.
You can hear Ambridge Extra on BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2.15pm.
Omnibus edition: Sundays at 11.15am and 7.15pm
(and for night owls on Mondays at 2.15am)
You can also get it on BBC iPlayer, or as a free download (podcast).
View a selection of cast photos, in and out of studio.
Sharp-eyed listeners might notice that Johan is played by William Gaminara. In the 1990s, William played Dr Richard Locke, Usha's boyfriend who had an affair with Shula. He's probably now best known for his role as Professor Leo Dalton in Silent Witness.
Later in the series
We'll return to Ambridge briefly before embarking on a bit of a road trip. And the final part of the series will follow Kenton and Jolene on their visit to New Zealand. But more of that in due course.
NB: An earlier version of this blog post incorrectly listed Milton as Mandisa's brother. Please accept my apologies for the error.
Keri Davies is an Archers (and Ambridge Extra) scriptwriter and web producer.