World (Cup) Quiz - almost no sporting knowledge required
Web Producer, The Archers
The Bull is hosting a quiz inspired by the football World Cup. Here’s our version, just for fun. You don’t have to know anything about sport to take part (well, all right, two of the questions have a sporting angle).
The answer to each question is one of the qualifying countries in the competition. If you want to make it a little easier, we’ve listed the countries underneath the questions.
1. The Atomium is to
be found in...?
2. Which country was formerly known as the Gold Coast?
3. The singer and education activist Shakira comes from...?
4. Ayatollah Ali Khameni is the Supreme Leader of...?
5. Part of former Yugoslavia, which country joined the EU in 2013?
6. In which country will you find the Foustanella, a pleated skirt worn by men?
7. Mount McKinley is the highest peak in which country?
8. Which country is bordered by Colombia, Peru and the Pacific?
9. The Duma is the main legislative body of...?
10. Which country is known for areas of low-lying land called polders?
11. Which country comprises four main islands, and over 6000 smaller ones?
12. Caipirinha is the national cocktail of...?
13. Which is the only country to have won the Rugby World Cup and the Football World Cup?
14. Which country gained its independence from France in 1962?
15. Which country borders the south-west shore of Lake Chad?
16. The book and film Under the Volcano is set in...?
17. Which country had two capitals between 1949 and 1990?
18. The Naira is the currency of...?
19. Cristina Fernández de Kirchner is the president of...?
20. The westernmost country of mainland Europe is...?
21. Which country’s football team is nicknamed Les Éléphants?
22. Which country was formed by a process of unification called the Risorgimento?
23. Which country boasts tourist attractions known as the Big Things – including the Big Banana, the Big Guitar and the Big Gumboot?
24. In which country will you find the towns of Molsheim, Giessen and Colmar?
25. Montevideo is the capital of...?
26. Which country has both a Caribbean and a (much smaller) Pacific coastline?
27. Sofia is the queen of...?
28. Which county’s name translates as ‘rich coast’?
29. Which country spawned the authors Pablo Neruda, Ariel Dorfman and Isabel Allende?
30. Which country is made up of 26 cantons?
31. Which country is divided from its northern neighbour in the area of the 38th parallel?
32. Sarajevo is the capital of...?
Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil
Cameroon, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Ecuador, England
France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Honduras, Iran, Italy, Ivory Coast
Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Nigeria, Portugal, Russia, South Korea
Spain, Switzerland, United States, Uruguay
Keri Davies is an Archers scriptwriter and web producer (and he does like a quiz).
How's your knowledge of The Archers? Try The Archers Quiz