Weeknotes #7 (26/03/10)
Monday begins with some of the engineers and I going through the Microblogging ingest chain with Glen. The foundations are now in place but it's complex and there are still some big unknowns; storage is the main concern and needs further investigation.
Sam's back from a successful meeting in Brussels. He was presenting our work package update at the annual review meeting for P2P-Next, the EU research project we are working on. Any temporary breaks in the drilling next door are now seamlessly filled with hammering; seems everyone in the building is suffering.
We've moved our stand-ups to the main project board, which works better and stops us getting bogged down in too much detail. Glen and I learn about the new hosting infrastructure in Centre House and decide it makes sense to try and move our servers across. Tris heads off to W12 gathering project ideas and selling some of our older projects.
Chris B has got music clips into Coventry using HTML5 audio, Chris N is just trying to work through some proxy issues to get the links to live. Theo's working most of the day on designs for Coventry - he prints them out, sticks them on the wall and declares them done. We'll see...
Chris J and Dominic come in to present the Resolver project to the team and some of the software engineers from Audio & Music. Tris and I leave convinced that there are opportunities for wider Resolver applications. We've agreed a plan to get the latest version of URIplay installed on our servers. This is good news as our instance has some bugs.
Thursday: Tris and Theo are working on a screen cast for Mythology; Theo spends some time in the voice booth (well, a meeting room) recording the voiceover followed by lots of editing in the afternoon. There should be a blog post sometime next week when all will be revealed. Duncan's making progress on his spike for Microblogging, he's got his scheduler working with Seans application filter. The ingest chain has been running for 40hrs now and has consumed approximately 10m messages. The engineers get an in-depth look at the Scala code driving it. We've got a few visitors next week so we run through Vickys slides and make sure our demos are running OK. Chris N has a workaround for the music clips in Coventry so we don't need to fiddle with proxies. We've also decided on some project tracking software; we'll trial it first and maybe later write up how we get on with it.
In summary: This phase of Coventry is nearly done and Mythology and Resolver have been wrapped up, but there's quite a lot of planning work that needs to happen over the next couple of weeks. More people in the office this week, nearly up to full strength. Drilling has been replaced by hammering and sadly our bookcase is still nowhere to be seen.