Tim Bentinck's Christmas listening
Monday 21 December 2009, 17:26
Tim plays David Archer in Radio 4's long-running drama serial The Archers. He's not been in Ambridge for that long but he's a pillar of the series nevertheless. I gave him a copy of the Radio Times' 'legendary double issue' and asked him to get scribbling: he's ringed all the Radio 4 programmes (and quite a few from other networks) that he's planning to listen to over Christmas and New Year. And it's a fascinating selection.
See all of his selections (and his annotations) in his own fair hand on Flickr. And if you'd like to join in and tell the world your Radio 4 choices from the double issue, get your own copy out, ring the programmes you're going to listen to and upload pics to your favourite picture sharing site (Facebook, Flickr, Twitpic... there are many). Or just tell the world in a comment here on the blog, on Twitter or on Facebook. Whatever you do, tag it #MyXmasOn4.
Highlights from Tim Bentinck's Radio 4 choices are:
- Here we Come. John Waite meets Davy Jones from The Monkees, 19 December at 1030. Tim says: "My idols, 1966."
- Brain of Britain, 19 December at 2300. Tim says, mysteriously: "Maybe I'll be a Question Again!"
- I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, 20 December 2009 at 1200. "Maybe I'll be on Mornington Crescent Again!"
- Joan Armatrading's Favourite Choirs, London Bulgarian Choir, 20 December 2009 at 1445. "Love Joan."
- The New Art of Diplomacy, 20 December 2009 at 1700. "Job for Will?"
- The Infinite Monkey Cage, 21 December 2009 at 1630. "Sounds good."
- Word of Mouth, 22 December 2009 at 1600. "Research."
- Take Two, Walter Becker and Donald Fagen, 23 December 2009 at 2330. "Steely Dan!"
- The News at Bedtime, Jack and his genetically-modified beanstalk, Christmas Eve at 1815. "Sounds good."
- What Scientists Believe, Zoologist Andrew Gosler, Christmas Eve at 2100. "Fascinating."
- A Funny Sort of Sound, Julian Clary on comedy musical acts, Christmas Day at 1100. "Research."
- The Film Programme, Googie Withers, Christmas Day at 1630. "Googie!"
- Front Row, Alan Bennett, Christmas Day at 1915. "Must listen!"
- The Saturday Play, Educating Rita, Boxing Day at 1430. "Just played Frank on stage. Can Nighy better me!!!"
- The Unbelievable Truth - New Year's Special, 28 December at 1830. "Cos it's Fry..."
- Woman's Hour Drama: My Mad Grandad, 28 December 2009 at 1945. "Great cast."
- Things We Forgot to Remember, William of Orange and The Glorious Revolution, 28 December at 2000. "My ancestor."
- Afternoon Play: Fireworks at the Villa Lucia, New Year's Eve at 1415. "Sounds good - with Kerry (Shale) too."
- Spitting in Russian, New Year's Day at 1100. "Cool."
Christmas listening choices from more Radio 4 people tomorrow.
Steve Bowbrick is editor of the Radio 4 blog
Share this page
- From the diabolical airport lounge of climate change diplomacy
Monday 21 December 2009, 09:35
- Upshares - a new high
Tuesday 22 December 2009, 10:40