It's the Top 5 Freeeeeakiest Kids' Movies Ever!
1. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971)/Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (2005) When Johnny Depp (right) commits to a character he doesn't do it by halves. His weird Willy was bob-haired and tooth-obsessed, all smiles and ADD. Back in the 70s, Gene Wilder played him much more downbeat, sad and plain scary. Neither should really be hanging out with small children. Beautifully disturbing.
2. Labyrinth (1986) Evil goblin Muppets mingle with a fright-wigged rockstar (David Bowie) and a teenage girl (Jennifer Connolly) who's lost her baby brother. In a maze. This U certificate nightmare is an 80s Alice In Wonderland and a forerunner to the grown-up horror classic, Pan's Labyrinth.
3. Coraline (2009) The darkest, weirdest, most out-there mainstream animation ever. Henry Selick, director of Nightmare Before Christmas, is no stranger to Gothic chills. But when little Coraline discovers an alternate world of button-eyed freaks, he excels himself.
4. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) Half of it is cute. Then Professor Potts decides to tell his kids a story... about The Child Catcher. Enter a long-nosed weirdo who lures littl'uns with his lollipops. Just writing that sentence freaks me out.
5. Speed Racer (2008) A Manga-influenced, Technicolor trip of a movie. Emile Hirsch drives some fast cars but I'll be honest, that's all I understood. Matrix directors The Wachowski Brothers push the CGI into eye-popping over-drive whilst respected thesps such as Susan Sarandon and John Goodman look on helplessly.