Launching the BBC iPlayer Radio mobile app on Android
Key features of the BBC iPlayer Radio app
Today is an exciting day for me and my team as we are launching the BBC iPlayer Radio app for Android devices. It will bring all the same great features that are in the iOS version together with some further enhancements which utilise the specific navigational paradigms of the Android platform. Features include:
- A touchscreen dial that beautifully shows the breadth of our radio, allowing easy access to all 57 BBC radio stations and their live streams.
- An alarm clock to let you wake up to your favourite BBC Radio station.
- Access to catch-up content, video and audio clips, podcasts, and for music shows, the details of the tracklist.
- The ability to set programme alerts to tell you when specific favourite shows are on.
- The option to favourite tracks and share them with friends via email and Twitter.
The app is available now in the Google Play store and via the Amazon app store. This app is also available on Android tablets (not just smartphones), including the very popular Amazon Kindle Fire HD. We are using the HLS audio format which is supported by Android version 3.0 and above. For a more detailed explanation of what devices will support the BBC iPlayer Radio app, see James Simcock’s post on the BBC Internet Blog.
We hope that android users will love the app as much as iOS users do. Since we launched BBC iPlayer Radio last October, the iOS app has been downloaded over 1.8 million times and we are seeing significant growth in usage on mobile and tablet. Let us know what you think of this release so that we can keep improving the service.