« Previous | Main | Next »

Monkey menace

Sequin | 15:06 UK time, Monday, 22 October 2007

If you see one of these in Delhi do not approach. Marilyn, one of our producers, says she was nearly attacked by this one in Delhi. And we're hearing on the programme tonight how a senior government official died after falling from a balcony after being pursued by a gang of Rhesus macaques.

monkey_pm.jpg


Comments

  1. At 03:57 PM on 22 Oct 2007, Ed Iglehart wrote:

    I couldn't resist this!
    http://www.ironictimes.com/images08/toughguys.jpg

    Monkeys?
    xx
    ed
    Humor in the Court:
    Q: What is the meaning of sperm being present?
    A: It indicates intercourse.
    Q: Male sperm?
    A. That is the only kind I know.
    Mon Oct 22 15:52:30 BST 2007

  2. At 04:11 PM on 22 Oct 2007, Ed Iglehart wrote:

    Monkeys and goats, and are these cats bouncing or drowning?

    WORLD NEWS
    Rice Pledges to Devote Remaining
    Time to Israeli-Palestinian Problem
    Having successfully dealt with Iraq.
    Libya Elected to UN Security Council
    To provide balance against rogue states, U.S. and Britain.
    Kurds, Turks Prepare for Battle
    Winner takes on winner of Syria-Lebanon, survivor going to regional final against winner of Israel-Iran or Pakistan-India, whichever ends first.
    (from the Ironic Times)
    xx
    ed

  3. At 04:20 PM on 22 Oct 2007, Ed Iglehart wrote:

    Monkeys and goats, and are these cats bouncing or drowning?

    WORLD NEWS
    Rice Pledges to Devote Remaining
    Time to Israeli-Palestinian Problem
    Having successfully dealt with Iraq.
    Libya Elected to UN Security Council
    To provide balance against rogue states, U.S. and Britain.
    Kurds, Turks Prepare for Battle
    Winner takes on winner of Syria-Lebanon, survivor going to regional final against winner of Israel-Iran or Pakistan-India, whichever ends first.
    (from the Ironic Times)
    xx
    ed

  4. At 04:32 PM on 22 Oct 2007, Vyle Hernia wrote:

    Just failed to post the FB.

    The gent whom MK interviewed on WATO made some interesting points about African leaders and corruption.

  5. At 04:35 PM on 22 Oct 2007, Fearless Fred wrote:

    It is worrying how the monkeys not just in India but other places too seem to learning from our violent tendencies and attacking people. I realise it may not be "PC", but a cull of the monkeys may be called for. If they are so many that they are now entering populated areas, the only solution may be to reduce the numbers...

    grrrr 502

  6. At 05:07 PM on 22 Oct 2007, Prof. S. R. Pedant wrote:

    "one of our producers, says she was nearly attacked by this one in Delhi"

    I'm struggling with the concept of being "nearly attacked".
    Am I unique in this respect?

  7. At 05:44 PM on 22 Oct 2007, Prof. S. R. Pedant wrote:

    "one of our producers, says she was nearly attacked by this one in Delhi"

    I'm struggling with the concept of being "nearly attacked".
    Am I unique in this respect?


    Connection timeout - error message 10060.
    "10060" - there's inflation for you.

  8. At 07:31 PM on 22 Oct 2007, Ed Iglehart wrote:

    Ffred,
    "If they are so many that they are now entering populated areas, the only solution may be to reduce the numbers..."

    Ed abbey said that if humans persisted in entering Grizzly bear territory, we would have to accept the fact that they would occasionally harvest a human or two....

    Maybe the monkeys aren't 'entering populated areas' so much as populated areas are expanding into monkey territory? For the first time in history more than half the humans in the world live in cities.

    xx
    ed

  9. At 07:40 PM on 22 Oct 2007, Ed Iglehart wrote:

    Ffred,
    "If they are so many that they are now entering populated areas, the only solution may be to reduce the numbers..."

    Ed abbey said that if humans persisted in entering Grizzly bear territory, we would have to accept the fact that they would occasionally harvest a human or two....

    Maybe the monkeys aren't 'entering populated areas' so much as populated areas are expanding into monkey territory? For the first time in history more than half the humans in the world live in cities.

    xx
    ed

  10. At 09:22 AM on 23 Oct 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    Fearless: Way back in the years I spent as a child in South Africa, we had similar problems with grey monkeys (I'm not sure of the species, but they are extremely common in southern Africa) when we lived on the edge of the bush. These monkeys were known to attack without obvious provocation - I say "obvious" in the sense that it was not obvious to humans. And I think therein lies the problem: we don't always understand what might trigger an attack from an animal. In the case of monkeys, they are quite predatory when food is concerned, and it was often thought that this might have been the trigger for attacks.

    Monkey bites are no laughing matter, and can not only be painful but lead to complications. I'd certainly never mess with one, and I'm a confirmed animal lover.

  11. At 10:11 AM on 23 Oct 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    Sixth attempt

    (First was attempted at 8.45 a.m. Second attempt 9.15 a.m.Third Attempt 9.40 a.m. Fourth attempt 9.55 a.m. Fifth attempt 10 a.m)


    Fearless: Way back in the years I spent as a child in South Africa, we had similar problems with grey monkeys (I'm not sure of the species, but they are extremely common in southern Africa) when we lived on the edge of the bush. These monkeys were known to attack without obvious provocation - I say "obvious" in the sense that it was not obvious to humans. And I think therein lies the problem: we don't always understand what might trigger an attack from an animal. In the case of monkeys, they are quite predatory when food is concerned, and it was often thought that this might have been the trigger for attacks.

    Monkey bites are no laughing matter, and can not only be painful but lead to complications. I'd certainly never mess with one, and I'm a confirmed animal lover.

This post is closed to new comments.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.