« Previous | Main | Next »

Because we are

Eddie Mair | 09:17 UK time, Wednesday, 7 February 2007

unable to accept blog comments, post a newsletter and who knows, perhaps even get the transmitters to work for the programme tonight, some loyal froggers have found refuge here.

As ever, thank you for whatever patience you have left. And please be assured, however annoyed you are - and you are right to be - we are too.

Comments

  1. At 09:38 AM on 07 Feb 2007, HelenSparkles wrote:

    Tell me it isn't so, a few days away in Spain & I come back to this?

  2. At 09:40 AM on 07 Feb 2007, Fifi wrote:

    To quote Jonnie from another thread:

    "Meet the gang coz the boys are here
    The boys to entertain you..."

    Yes, you really are invited to join the motley bunch in the liferaft. It's cosy, and the furnishings are a little basic, but we'll fix it up with a few more scatter cushions and I'm sure you will feel at home.

    Please note, most recent comments appear at the TOP (unlike here).

    And if you hit your Refresh (F5) button, you'll only end up repeating yourself. I speak from bewildered and embarrassing experience!

    Fifi ;oD

  3. At 09:49 AM on 07 Feb 2007, gossipmistress wrote:

    How come Marc the blog Prince made it to dry land on the previous thread, while we're all still in the lifeboat?

    Is this the beginning of life under the new chairman - BBC employees saved first??!

  4. At 10:13 AM on 07 Feb 2007, RJD wrote:

    Just a hopeful try.

  5. At 10:15 AM on 07 Feb 2007, admin annie wrote:

    JUst wondering if this might sneak through the bloggage...

  6. At 10:39 AM on 07 Feb 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    Given the vagaries of the system, this may get through. Alternatively, it may not.

    As the Bard put it so succinctly:

    To be, or not to be: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
    No more; and by a sleep to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
    Must give us pause: there's the respect
    That makes calamity of so long life;
    For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
    The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
    The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
    The insolence of office and the spurns
    That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
    When he himself might his quietus make
    With a bare bodkin?

  7. At 11:12 AM on 07 Feb 2007, Belinda wrote:

    Ahh Hamlet, 3.1. Be still my beating frogging heart.

  8. At 11:18 AM on 07 Feb 2007, Fearless Fred wrote:

    Hmmmm a little movement on the lilypad, I see. I hope this means that the icy patch of last week and yesterday have given way to a little thaw...

  9. At 01:05 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Gillian wrote:

    Big Sister (9) My think is always a bit limited in its capacity, but I'm glad it's still going.

  10. At 01:19 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    Gillian: ;o)

  11. At 01:30 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Gillian wrote:

    Big Sister (10?) Here we go again! Lol!

  12. At 02:56 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Karen wrote:

    Before anyone starts complaining about communication with the BBC being a little faulty think on this.

    I popped into work briefly this morning (in Ipswich - I'm on leave and hungover - it's complicated). I received an URGENT email from the Chief Medical Officer dated today.

    Apparently we have an outbreak of avian influenza H5N1 here in Suffolk. Nothing to panic about apparently. I didn't read the rest of it - I was laughing too much at the pointlessness of it being labelled Urgent and arriving 5 days after Today broke the news.

  13. At 02:56 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    I think therefore I am.

  14. At 03:03 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    Well, I've learned something. The system doesn't like Nietzche.

  15. At 04:09 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Fearless Fred wrote:

    Big Sis, maybe you should've gone with the indecisive version:

    I think I am therefore I might be

  16. At 04:40 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Humph wrote:

    Nietzche Big Sis? Unless you changed the quote in order to get your posting accepted, I think you will find the problem is with Descartes

    Aristotle, Aristotle was a b*gg*r for the bottle.
    Hobbes was fond of his dram,
    And Ren Descartes was a drunken far*.
    'I drink, therefore I am.'

    (M. Python)

    H.

  17. At 05:31 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Fifi wrote:

    ' I drink, therefore I ham. '

    P O'Toole?

    Fifi

  18. At 05:40 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Fifi wrote:

    ' I drink, therefore I ham. '

    P O'Toole?

    Fifi

  19. At 05:41 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    Humph: No, the quote that failed was "One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly" (a reference to the problems on the Blog). The Descartes to which you refer was my comment on the exchange between myself and Gillian - the first part of which mysteriously disappeared.

    Let's see if Nietzche gets through this time!

  20. At 05:52 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    Fred: As ever, your wisdom is huge.

    Humph: The Descartes went through. The Nietzche didn't. It was a comment on the Blog, which may explain why. I'll see if I can sneak it through now ....."One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly".

    I'll bet it gets knocked out again!

  21. At 06:09 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Fifi wrote:

    Oh, rats, I'm repeating myself.

    That's because I kept getting the Comment Submission Error, the Malicious Postings alert, and the Service Not Available screen.

    Perhaps we're not entirely out of the woods yet......

    ;o)

    Fifi

  22. At 06:38 PM on 07 Feb 2007, RJD wrote:

    Fifi (17 & 18)

    haha haha

    That was funny both times!

  23. At 06:57 PM on 07 Feb 2007, gossipmistress wrote:

    Fifi tee hee!

  24. At 07:01 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Aperitif wrote:

    In the spirit of things:

    "I may abhor what you say but I suppose that you ought to be allowed to say it. Don't expect me to die defending you though, you nutter." Anon.

    My favourite take on Voltaire.

  25. At 10:09 PM on 07 Feb 2007, Humph wrote:

    Hi Big Sis (19)

    Thank you for that. Mine (16) did have an "unless" but I am willing to be corrected. Personally, I prefer M. Python to Descartes. But then I prefer P O'Toole and FFred to M. Python ;-)

    H.

  26. At 09:37 AM on 08 Feb 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    'Salright, Humph. It was niggling me that the whole thing no longer made sense.

    As if this Blog ever made sense? ;o)

    Hi Appy, where've you been hiding?

  27. At 03:09 PM on 08 Feb 2007, Aperitif wrote:

    Hello Big Sis. Birmingham. But it seems I picked the right time to be away.

  28. At 07:05 PM on 08 Feb 2007, Big Sister wrote:

    Hi Appy. Birmingham? Well, there's been a lot happening there, I hear. And now you're talking of Northumberland. A much nicer prospect imho.

This post is closed to new comments.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.