Seabird call quiz answers
Did you try our seabird call quiz? Well done tootsietim, Katherine_Birkett and grebelet for getting pretty close. Here are the answers.
- Herring gulls' mewing calls are a seaside staple.
- It was quite tricky to distinguish the long call of a lesser black backed gull.
- Did you recognise the piping 'kleep kleep' of oystercatchers in flight?
- Common terns make a distinctive 'kee-yah' sound.
- If the sound of waves lapping and dunlins performing their display song isn't enough to get you down to the coast I don't know what is!
If you missed their trip to the estuary last week, you can catch up with bird experts Brett Westwood and Stephen Moss's guide to coastal birds online. This Sunday's episode listens to the birds of Britain's sandy shores so tune in to Radio 4 at 2.45pm.
If you've mostly only experienced gulls in the city you might not be their biggest fan. Here's a clip from Bill Oddie Goes Wild that might help you see things a little differently: