A service highlighting the riches of the daily press.
Paper Monitor ran into an old friend on the way home from a work party last night... Punorama. (Long-time readers may wish to add an exclamation mark to the end of that sentence.)
So, in honour of one's former Monitor stable mate, here is a salute to the punners of Fleet Street.
First up, the Sun:
- "BEER WIGGO" = Bradley Wiggins and his night of celebrations after winning Sports Personality of the Year
- "SWIGGO" = ditto
- "queasy rider" = ditto
- "Trident tested" = Russell Brand carrying a three-pronged spade-like implement
- "Get me snout" = fox with head stuck in a car wheel
Next, the Daily Star:
- "KNIGHT ON THE TILES" = Wiggins, granted a premature New Year gong by the paper
- "BRADLEY'S SWIGGIN'!" = take a guess
- "VAT'S NOT FAIR" = campaign to waive sales tax on the Hillsborough Christmas single
And the Daily Mirror:
- "Bradley Swiggins" = can you tell what it is?
- "Dreaming of a light Christmas" = the streets well-bedecked with boughs of festive decorations
- "BIG BRUMS" = Birmingham has largest average waistline in the UK
Think you can do better? Send your puns, using the letters form on the right.