BBC BLOGS - World Cup Motty

Motty's day 15 preview

John Motson | 23:48 UK time, Thursday, 24 June 2010

On Friday we see the final World Cup group games, including the two sides rated by many to be the best at the tournament: Brazil and Spain.

Commentating legend John Motson looks ahead to four potentially fascinating encounters as the teams in Groups G and H look to qualify for the last 16.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

Motty's day 15 preview (UK only)

Comments

• 1. At 01:09am on 25 Jun 2010, ItsElton wrote:

I Predict a R.I.O.T. Ronaldo's Incredible Overhead Thunderbolt.
    This group already a done deal. Should be some good games though.

• 2. At 02:59am on 25 Jun 2010, toki1971 wrote:

It's not over 'til the fat lady sings......

A Brazil win and Drogba goalfest and u never know!

• 3. At 03:55am on 25 Jun 2010, Herts_Philby wrote:

I think following Brazil through group G tomorrow afternoon will be Portugal, it is likely that Ivory Coast will still beat North Korea but of course not by overturning a 9-goal swing in the process, so the three points wouldn't be enough for them unfortunately. I think it will be a shame if/when Ivory Coast go out, they have been one of the better African teams in this tournament so far and they have on paper one of the strongest teams outside of Europe, so it's fair to argue that they shouldn't find themselves hanging onto this World Cup tournament like they are; they should have beaten Portugal, the played better and didn't take their chances.

I think Chile will beat Spain and win their group, and I can't see Switzerland not beating Honduras or at least getting a draw there but Switzerland must surely go out there and play to win this final group game to be sure of staying in with a chance of going through. I think Spain have a lot of quality in their starting XI in this tournament, but they have struggled to produce consistent, convincing performances so far and they were beaten by a solid and upbeat Swiss side in their opening game which has put the latter in a great commanding position to leapfrog them in the group and send them packing. Spain are overrated in my opinion, I don't think their team or their style of football is as great as many think it is and it was overcome by the Swiss so one would argue that Chile will definitely have a go and attack Spain more vigorously throughout tomorrow's clash.

For me, it's Chile to beat Spain and Switzerland to beat Honduras, like Motty says I can see one-goal margins in both scorelines at most come full-time, but if Spain are not at their best then I could envisage Chile winning by a couple. I don't think Spain have been good enough to stay in the tournament, Switzerland beat a big team in their first game and probably deserve it more, but it's another very open group and the tensions will be high out there tomorrow afternoon.

• 4. At 07:24am on 25 Jun 2010, Mustangy wrote:

Herts_Philby: So you think " Chile will beat Spain and win their group, and can't see Switzerland not beating Honduras or at least getting a draw there"
    Maybe you should wear your glasses today...
    I'll tell you what I can see... I can see Spain easily drawing or beating Chile and Honduras trying hard to gain their first point before they exit... Who said Switzerland will score ??

Spain only need to get the same result as Switzerland or better to get through... Not such an impossible task...

• 5. At 09:33am on 25 Jun 2010, douginnznz wrote:

We are half way through already but the comp has been overshadowed by the conditions. The ball is a 'beachball' the grounds hard and played at altitude. This makes one touch football very hard, hence the rapid exit of the majority of european teams. Two touches gives lesser teams a chance to close the gap on attackers.
    Some may say you should be able to adapt, but I think its spoiled the beauty of the game. The old ball was fine.

• 6. At 10:03am on 25 Jun 2010, Antonio wrote:

Dear John, I do like your daily blog but... will you ever guess a result?

• 7. At 10:13am on 25 Jun 2010, NeilG42 wrote:

I can see the Ivory Cost making it, yes it's a 9 goal deficit but, North Korea will be more concerned about what's going to happen to them when they get home rather than on the game, which means goal fest time, Brazil will easily beat Portugal, so 9 goals isn't that much, it's actually only 4-5 goals if you think about it, Portugal let in 3 or 4 and the Ivory cost score 6 or more (both are real possibilities) then it's done. As for the other group too tight to call.

• 8. At 10:39am on 25 Jun 2010, Andrew Wilson wrote:

Motty has got it right, I feel, about Group G. Portugal's hammering of N Korea has killed off any tension in the final matches. Scores like that don't happen very often (even when weaker teams are involved). Arguably the torrential first half downpour helped them, as it must have made the pitch heavy in the second half and the Koreans - who rely largely on stamina and workrate - were visibly tiring.
    The greater excitement is in Group H, where the permutations and goal difference issues make for a fascinating evening ahead. I think Spain will win by the odd-goal, but Switzerland could labour to beat Honduras.

• 9. At 11:48am on 25 Jun 2010, Notasquick wrote:

Group G: Portugal head group
    North Korea v Ivory Coast 1-3 (Drogba hatrick)
    Portugal v Brazil 2-1

Group H: Chile knockout Spain
    Chile v Spain 2-1
    Switzerland v Honduras 2-0

• 10. At 12:43pm on 25 Jun 2010, Kang Dae Sung wrote:

i cant see Portugal conceeding more than 1 to be honest, they have kept a clean sheet in the last 8 matches (bar the friendly versus the Cameroons) and only conceeded 1 goal in 14 matches.

they only struggled because they could not score, that was their issue.

• 11. At 1:27pm on 25 Jun 2010, sinspaw wrote:

funny the lot of you writting off portugal. scared of another meeting are you, englishmen? keep an eye out for the game, maybe brazil won't have that easy of a time 'trashing' us.

• 12. At 1:58pm on 25 Jun 2010, Sam wrote:

Portugal 1 Brazil 2

North Korea 1 Ivory Coast 3

Chile 1 Spain 1

Switzerland 1 Honduras 0

• 13. At 5:59pm on 25 Jun 2010, Herts_Philby wrote:

Mustangy #4: I disagree with you regarding Chile vs Spain in Group H tonight, I don't think Spain will beat Chile but I can see them drawing if they manage to keep Chile off the ball. This is not going to be easy, when Chile get the ball in midfield they will instinctively seek to push forward with it and shoot at goal. This is somewhat opposite to the Spanish team's style and something they do not like as it does not allow them to keep possession and slow the game down, and they have not really faced in the tournament so far.

I think Switzerland should beat Honduras who have not looked good enough to be at the World Cup so far, but they are not the sort of team to be underestimated of course. So maybe Honduras could squeeze a draw out of their game tonight, maybe, but I think Switzerland's defence is too strong and their composure on the ball will allow them to control the game in midfield too much for Honduras to be a danger.

You may have your opinion, but for me, it's Chile to beat Spain and win Group H with Switzerland to get at least a draw against Honduras meaning the Swiss would go through behind Chile.

Notasquick #9: I agree with you about Group H games tonight, I think Chile will beat Spain and Switzerland should overcome Honduras. Reasons explained above.

• 14. At 5:14pm on 26 Jun 2010, hackneyed wrote:

motty
    just watched the s.korea/uruguay game the attendance was really terrible given the stature of the game.the itv commentator gave these stats
    the ground holds nearly 50,000
    the attendance was about 30,000 ( prior to rain then about 10k left)
    unsold tickets for the game 5,000

this leaves a mystery balance of 15000 tickets with no bums on seats?
    could this be explained by touts looking to cash in on the french missing out or perhaps corporate tickets not attracted by the two sides.
    it was disiappointing to see so many empty seats at the game.
    given that many english fans would have bought tickets thinking england were going to top the group is there any sort of clearing system for fans who have tickets for the wrong grounds or are they at the mercy of the touts?