Discover Bridgend on foot
Rhiannon Dafydd from Reach, co-ordinating the weekend said:
"The Discovery Walks Weekend is a great chance for everyone to get out and about and almost certainly learn something new. There's a huge range of walks available, something to suit everybody and it won't cost a penny to take part."
- Wear suitable clothing for your walk as they will be outdoors. For some good advice visit www.bridgendramblers.co.uk/clothing.html
Friday 18th September
- Newton Beach to Merthyr Mawr Circular 6-mile circular walk from Newton beach to Merthyr Mawr. Meet at Newton beach, Porthcawl, 10am.
- Nordic Walking - Garw Valley Forestry A 2½ hour walk in the scenic forestry with Nordic Walking poles (poles provided, please bring packed lunch). Meet at Garw Valley Leisure Centre, 10am.
- Social Strollers - with Jowan and Linda Meet at Garw Valley Leisure Centre, 2pm.
- Bat Walk - Bryngarw Country Park Experience the twilight world of some of our most mysterious and elusive mammals with specialist equipment and expert knowledge on hand. Meet at Visitor Centre, 7.15pm. Dependant on conditions.
- Wild Food Forage - Merthyr Mawr Forest. Our ancestors lived off the land day to day, find out how to identify edible and poisonous berries, fungi and plants in the wild! Meet at Merthyr Mawr Estate Forest sand dune car park, 10am.
- Old Industries New Parks 4-mile Circular Walk, discover how the former industrial area around Tondu is becoming rich in wildlife and natural beauty. Meet at Parc Slip Nature Reserve, 10am.
- Llynfi Valley Walk A 5-mile circular walk through the scenic Llynfi valley. Meet at Maesteg Train Station, 2pm.
- Pen-y-Fai to Laleston Circular Walk A pleasant walk using some paths you may not know, plus a little lane walking and a number of stiles. Meet at the Pheasant Pub, 10am.
- Bridge to Your Heart Sponsored Walk British Heart Foundation - Join the 1 mile walk which should take 1 hour at a leisurely pace or the 2 mile walk which includes some stiles, steps and slight inclines. No entry fee but sponsorship please. Contact Catherine Webb on 01656 754465 to book a place. Starts 10.30am.
- Ghost Walk & Talk Porthcawl Paranormal team's stories of ghost hunting around Porthcawl and fascinating history and legends. Donations welcomed for Velindre Cancer Hospital. Meet at the Farmer's Arms in Nottage, 5pm.
- Kenfig Reserve Nature Ramble - A 2hr ramble exploring the many different and interesting features to be found at Kenfig, the largest remaining element of a sand dune system that once stretched from the Gower to Ogmore by Sea. Meet outside the Reserve Centre, 6pm.
For more information on the Discovery Walks Weekend contact:
Rhiannon Dafydd on 01656 815082, email firstname.lastname@example.org or book online at www.milestoneactivities.co.uk