BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page was last updated in October 2007We've left it here for reference.More information
Listen to Radio Five Live Sports Extra - BBC Radio Player

Test Match Special

The blog from the boundary

New man at the helm

• Blog Editor
  • 22 Jun 07, 09:49 AM

This week marked the retirement of Peter Baxter, the long-serving producer of Test Match Special.

He has been replaced by Adam Mountford, who makes the step up after five years as Peter's number two.

We asked Adam about his love of cricket and his plans for the programme. Here's what he had to say:

Q. You have now taken over as Test Match Special producer, how excited are you at being given the opportunity?

Adam MountfordI feel honoured and privileged to have been given this chance. It is a programme that I have loved since the age of nine and I still can't really believe I am going to have the opportunity to join such a talented team of people.

Q. Peter Baxter will be a hard act to follow after 34 years - how would you sum up his contribution to the programme?

I was only one when Peter first became the producer of Test Match Special and it is a remarkable achievement for him to have brought the programme through to its half-century. I particularly admire Peter's achievements in making it possible to broadcast cricket all over the World. When he first toured some countries getting a single phone line was a miracle at times so how he managed to broadcast whole Test matches is amazing. I wish Peter all the best in his retirement - but I hope he keeps his phone on as I will be asking lots of questions!

Q. When did you first become aware of Test Match Special?

My first memories of TMS are listening at the age of nine to Henry Blofeld describing the end of the 1981 Headingley Test … "Bright's bowled , the middle stump's out of the ground, England have won". I quickly became a huge fan of the programme especially enjoying coverage of overseas tours. I remember in the days before I had an alarm clock radio I would keep the radio on all night listening to an annoying beeping noise just so that I wouldn't miss a ball when the TMS commentary started. I particularly recall the 1983/1984 Pakistan series listening to TMS favourite Vic Marks battling with three successive half-centuries. I remember being late for school because I was listening to the end of the Lahore Test match as England almost pulled off an amazing victory thanks to five wickets from Norman Cowans.

Q. How would you define the programme's appeal?

TMS is a unique radio programme and it is very difficult to explain why. What I love is the mix between humour, thrilling commentary on big moments and strong journalism when required. Like a game of cricket itself the programme ebbs and flows with conversation going to places you would never imagine possible. There is also an incredibly talented group of broadcasters who each offer something different. I am so excited to now have the chance to work with the team.

Q. How do you see the programme evolving over the next few years?

Test Match Special has evolved over its 50-year history and of course it will continue to do so. But if you are worrying that a new producer means massive changes let me reassure you I am not planning a revolution! I have been a huge fan of the programme since the age of nine and like Peter Baxter has done for more than 30 years I will fight to preserve all that is great about TMS.

The programme has always embraced new technology and I want to develop this. Anyone who has pressed the red button on digital television or listened online will have seen how impressive it is to be able to listen to brilliant TMS commentary alongside up to the second scorecards, wagon wheels and other information. We are investigating ways to develop this service more.

The genial tone of TMS is the vital part of the programme but it shouldn't be forgotten that it does not shy away from strong journalism when required. Test Match Special was honoured at the last Sony Radio Awards for its coverage of "Oval Gate" and the Jonathan Agnew and Geoffrey Boycott TMS podcast often sets the agenda on a range of issues.

Of course, the most important people on the programme are the voices you love and I am fortunate to be inheriting an extremely talented team. There is simply no need for massive changes - all you'll hear is a light sprinkling of a couple of new voices over the next few months with the likes of Ashley Giles and Dominic Cork joining us for the forthcoming NatWest one-day series, whilst Alison Mitchell and Phil Tufnell will be part of the team at next week's Twenty20 internationals.

Q. What is your first cricketing memory?

Bob WillisThe 1981 Ashes series was what got me hooked on cricket. The only problem was that I had decided to support Australia! My older brother was backing England and obviously I couldn't do what he did so I went for Kim Hughes and the Aussies. Until one afternoon in Leeds it looked like I had made the right decision until Sir Ian turned the series on its head. I was one of the few English kids upset that Bob Willis took his 8-43 to win the match.

Did you play the game at school or for a club?

Unfortunately, my school didn't have a cricket pitch so I grew up mainly playing indoor cricket. However, I did play down at Walsall cricket club with limited success. When I went to university, I played for the Standard club in the Coventry League which was great fun. Sadly, these days I only really turn out for the annual BBC under-35 v over-35 match. Last year I was controversially run out by our captain - and fully intend to return the favour later in the summer.

Q. Which current player do you most admire?

I would say probably Australian Adam Gilchrist. He helped change the way that Test cricket is played with his incredible strike rate and positive attitude. He also plays the game the right way - I will never forget when he walked during the 2003 World Cup semi-final in Port Elizabeth even though the umpire had given him not out. To be such a good sportsman in such a huge match was incredible. I was thrilled that at least the disastrous 2007 West Indies World Cup was won by some magic Gilchrist batting. He is also seems a very nice bloke and is very helpful to the media.

Q. Which do you prefer, a Test match, a one-day international or a Twenty20 game?

For me cricket is a bit like going out for dinner. Sometimes what you want is a really nice three course meal with your friends where the conversation ebbs and flows - that is like a Test Match. But sometimes what you want is a really quick sandwich which you still enjoy but in a different way - that for me is like a Twenty20 match.

Test Cricket will always be my first love , but I do love the excitement of Twenty20 matches played in front of capacity crowds. If anything my least favourite is one day internationals - there are too many of them played and they are too instantly forgettable. You don't seem to get enough decent matches for whatever reason and they can be rather predictable.

Q. Where is your favourite cricket venue?

Like many others I would say New Road Worcester. I spent many summer afternoons there watching Graeme Hick score hundreds and wondering why he didn't do it at Test level. It is such a beautiful ground and there is something magical about being so close to the action.

Please note Name and E-mail are required.

Comments are moderated, and will not appear on this weblog until the author has approved them.

Contact details

Comments

1. At 11:50 AM on 22 Jun 2007, martin shirley wrote:

Dear Mr Mountford

best wishes for TMS in future

the only change I would request would be to say 'thank you and goodbye' to Henry Blofeld ; he has struggled more and more to do his best, with his increasing difficulty in identifying fielders for example, and his ever-more-frequent resorting to describing things which have nothing to do with the cricket

the rest of the team are fine, and Viv Richards has been a revelation : such genial authority !

Martin Shirley

2. At 12:27 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Martin Cotterill wrote:

Hi Mr Mountford

Can I exend my best wishes for your future with the beloved institution that is TMS.

Like you, I have been listening since I was a child and love the many varied voices and views of those involved.

However, unlike Mr Shirley, I adore Blowers commentry. When you go to a match with friends you don't only comment on the game but what is happening around the ground, both inside and out and like Henry, I don't always recognise the fielders immediately.

I look forward to seeing how you develop the technology used on the website and on digital TV and radio being a lover of such 'toys'.

Keep up the good work of Peter and 'my dear old thing', take it forward.

3. At 12:28 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Martin Cotterill wrote:

Hi Mr Mountford

Keep up the good work of Peter and 'my dear old thing', take it forward.

4. At 12:33 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Steve mason wrote:

I agree with Martin. While I appreciate that one person's delightful institution is another person's ear irritation, Blofeld makes it very difficult to follow the game. I realise that beyond that it comes down to personal taste, but surely we should be allowed to know what is going on? He seems to be popular among people who listen for company rather than for the cricket.

TMS seems to be currently in excellent health. The coverage of the West Indies series was very good. What can go wrong?!

Hope you enjoy a job that, from the outside, seems as if it must be a joy.

5. At 12:37 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Rob Stewardson wrote:

Completely disagree about Blofeld. Brings something different to the team and is always enjoyable to listen to. His tangents between balls and overs are just as enjoyable as his epic knowledge of the game.

6. At 12:39 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Chris T wrote:

As a counterpoint to Martin's comments, may i whole-heartedly endorse Henry Blofeld as a member of the TMS team. Not only are his descriptions marvellously evocative, his analysis is first-rate when called upon. The conversation between him and Boycs about wicket-keeping during the last test is a case in point. All the TMS team provide something slightly different and i feel it would be poorer if any of that diversity was lost.

Congrats on your new appointment Mr Mountford. look after her. you have one of the most important jobs in cricket today.

7. At 01:03 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Martin Mills wrote:

I applaud the way TMS has adapted to new technology and listening online whilst at work is fantastic. However when I leave to drive home I am then unable to listen as most modern cars do not have LW Radios anymore. Are there any plans to transmit on a medium wave frequency as I know you already do in the London area?

8. At 01:08 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Andrew Hinton wrote:

I personally can't stand Blofeld, and find his inability to identify fielders which is the key component of his job embarassing.

Question for Adam, how do you test out your summarisers and get feedback from the public on who they enjoy. Very surprised to see ashley giles on the list as he has come across on SKY as a nice person but dull, he also to close to the players to say anything controversial.

9. At 01:10 PM on 22 Jun 2007, d.r. way wrote:

Leave Henry alone-- he lightens the dullest passages. I am worried about the tendency for the team to be made up of ex county cricketers.
    It would be good to hear from a commentator who has sat through days of cricket watching from square leg. However thrilling the cricket may be when you have a seat behind the bowler's arm--it's a bit different when you are square on. A little bit more effort to understand the problems of the paying spectators perhaps.Good luck.

10. At 01:10 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Martin Mills wrote:

11. At 01:16 PM on 22 Jun 2007, James wrote:

Good luck in your new role. My only request is that you do not attach too many 'celebrity' cricketers to your team. Have you thought about including anyone who has not graced the international game to give an amateur view to proceedings?

12. At 01:50 PM on 22 Jun 2007, James Oxenholme wrote:

Mr Mountford,

May I scho others' congratulations and wish you well in the years to come. From your answers (above) it would appear TMS will be safe in yours hands.

I feel I must defend Blowers against his critics. Yes, he does make errors in identifying fielders, sometimes but all the best commentators make errors (one thinks of Murry Walker, for example). But when I am at cricket matches, I make errors too - and Henry, possibly above anyone else on TMS, makes me feel I am at a cricket ground, watching the match and chatting to a friend. When the action is fast, I want to hear of the cricket mainly but, as we know, tests ebb and flow and Henry's wonderful ability to multi-task different conversations, humour and friendliness is a wonderful tonic for those times.

Recently, I have tried listening to local radio cricket commentaries again but most are very poor in comparisson to TMS precisely because they are commentaries and nothing else.

Thank you.

13. At 01:51 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Euan MacGregor wrote:

Hello,

So ... Blowers might miss the odd fielder - so what. He brings excitement, knowledge, humour and experience to TMS. It's just a shame we don't have more of him.

Viv Richards has been splendid though. It's just a shame the Windies don't have players of his calibre now.

Best of luck in your new job ... Can we have more and longer podcasts please?

14. At 01:58 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Lesley Dutton wrote:

To Martin Mills, you can get TMS on Radio 4 198 medium wave. Hope this helps.
    TMS good luck for the future, life would be very boring without you.

15. At 03:04 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Neil o' Reilly wrote:

May I wish peter baxter good health in his retirement, and welcome Mr Mountford to the TMS
    Team.
    Please do not change any of the current team, as
    I find their differant slants to the wonderfull gane of cricket most appealing.
    I certainly welcome "Tuffers" to the team for the
    20/20 series, and hope that his stay will be extended to future 1 day and test matches in the
    future.
    Keep up the good work
    Neil (A Middlesex supporter) exiled in Dorset.

16. At 03:22 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Christopher Ferguson wrote:

I must insist on Mr. Blofeld's lasting appeal. His wonderful accent combined with Sir Viv's non-standard English has made for a wonderful exhibition of our language.
    I might say, without wishing to be too critical, that Mr. Mann might learn something about individuality by listening to these two and Mr. Boycott.

17. At 03:23 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Andrew M wrote:

The one thing I'd stop is Aggers moaning about people singing / enjoying themselves at cricket.

He interviewed the Chief Exec / Chairman of Durham during the last test and spent most of the time asking why they can't stop people drinking / dressing up when Lords can.

Different grounds have different atmospheres and people know this.

18. At 03:28 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Andrew M wrote:

Lesley :
    198 is long wave.
    It is a major problem that most modern cars / radios don't have long wave.
    I guess digital radio will overcome this as that has TMS on 5 Sport Extra.

19. At 03:58 PM on 22 Jun 2007, James Harpin wrote:

I don't normally post on these things, but Blowers must stay! I really do think he is fantastic, his quirky commentary and conversational and elaborate style far out weigh the fact that he might not be the fastest to identify fielders. I mean its hardly crucial knowing which fielder the ball is going to everytime, besides if you care that much just remember where they're standing when he does the field settings (which he does more than any other commentator).

Keep up the good work Blowers!!!

20. At 05:15 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Charlie wrote:

"I guess digital radio will overcome this as that has TMS on 5 Sport Extra."

I'm not sure what you mean by overcome. Most cars don't have digital either and digital is poorly suited to listening on hte move anyway due to the all or nothing nature of the reception.

We must hope that the BBC hangs onto TMS on longwave as long as possible and doesn't sacrifice it to their digital-is-perfect agenda.

21. At 05:24 PM on 22 Jun 2007, keith wrote:

can anybody explain me why hoggard doesnt play in odi,s
    What,s problem with him

22. At 06:04 PM on 22 Jun 2007, peter moger wrote:

Blowers is a national institution, sack him at your peril! Can we refine the the online website coverage by erradicating the nonsense that Dirs seems to think is funny. What chummy from New Malden does in the office when he is bored is of absolutely no interest to cricket lovers. Can the online commentary be kept to cricketing matters. Yes, Blowers does bring in the odd bus and inquisitive pigeon, but that only adds to the eccentric nature of cricket (a game that can last five days...try telling Americans about that). The endless parade of shallow comments, completely unconected with cricket in Mr Dirs' column devalues the otherwise excellent coverage of TMS. Sack Dirs, elevate Blowers to the peerage!

On a serious note, the pathetic online comments are really beneath serious reporting. They are not even funny, are not related to cricket and make a nonsense of BBC online reporting! Entertainment does not have to be based on the Lowest Common Denomenator...TMS has proved that for many a year! Ooh , lets make a plastic cup snake, cos we are bored....ooh err!

Regards
    Peter Moger

23. At 08:12 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Charles Evans wrote:

I would appreciate it if someone could explain what happened to Donna (the West Indies commentator) who has commentated during previous England vs. West-Indies series? Has she become bogged down with court work this year (from what I recall, she was a lawyer, in her 'day job') or has something else prevented her attendance?

Looking forward to the addition of Alison Mitchell to the team. I was impressed by the way that she coped with the breaking news of the whole awful Bob-Woolmer business during the world cup, which she got dropped into the middle of because she had been covering the Pakistan/Ireland group match.

As to the Blofeld debate, I think his voice and style of commentary adds something to the team, even if he does occasionally get a little muddled- as others have commented already, even spectators in the stands sometimes have difficulty working out what has just happened, unless they have the benefit of sufficiently high-powered binoculars to make out cap/shirt details in a test-match (and Hoggard, for example, doesn't happen to have borrowed one of his mate, Harmison's shirts). I am personally a fan of Blowers, and wondered where he had got to during a couple of the Ashes tests, although I can appreciate that people who want nothing other than the cold, hard, facts, regarding the game might find him distracting.

Great summer so far (especially the 'view from the boundary' interview with Piers Morgan, during the 3rd test); keep it up TMS!

Charles Evans.

24. At 08:21 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Glynne Williams wrote:

Many many thanks to Peter Baxter: you have done a wonderful job. TMS is just the most brilliant radio - the BBC at its peerless best. It has evolved beautifully and is pure joy to listen to.

Blowers' commentating is never less than amazing - where other than in TMs during a less active moment on the field would you hear a learned analysis of the origins of the word 'mincing' for example!!!???? And Sir Viv is an absolute natural - the most fabulous voice for a start, like dark honey, and full of interesting anecdote and comment. He makes a wonderful foil to the others and sheds further light on this wonderful game of cricket.

Very best wishes Adam Mountford - you've got a gem of a programme which shines most brightly.

25. At 08:59 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Frank Chardell wrote:

I feel i must defend Ben Dirs here. HE IS A LEGEND. If you want the cricket go to cricinfo, if you want the crcket, opinions, and humorous email Ben Dirs is your man.

It is like Blowers and Mann, blowers is head and shoulders above because it is something you ca listen to for hours on end.

26. At 09:54 PM on 22 Jun 2007, jo clark wrote:

When we are lucky enough to listen to TMS and it is the shipping forecast..it is...when we listen..Andy Rushton (apologies for any mispellings). he is also there when the "line" goes down. Is he always there back in the studio listening to the ball by ball commentary?
    When the line goes down he carries on. He is so good. Always he tells us what we may have missed.
    You have probably answered this before but...we missed the reply.
    Thank you for such a fantastic ...well...cricket!
    Jo

27. At 10:08 PM on 22 Jun 2007, jo clark wrote:

How sad it is to read goodbye to Henry. What is wrong with the world today that we can't allow a slower....but often so much more interesting...commentary on the BBC site which keeps os many of us entertain for so many hours. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ON THE TELEVISION!!!!!
    Each person is special to TMS and as they recruit new ones then then develop. They cannot do the job immediately. It is a learning curve to which most adapt within a certain time.
    Henry is TMS. We love his asides and to us he is a major part of TMS.

28. At 10:14 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Sam wrote:

I'm pleased to read that TMS seems to be in safe hands for the future - best wishes to Adam as you try to carry on Peter Baxter's excellent work.

Only minor point is that I will say I'm not overly looking forward to Ashley Giles joining the commentary team - always found him a very dull man from his TV and newspaper work.

29. At 10:18 PM on 22 Jun 2007, Mick Burgin wrote:

Blowers is Mr radio cricket as far as I am concerned. I have listened to him for many-a-year and could not imagine getting through a test match without his witty remarks as he sets the scene. Cricket is a game loved by eccentrics like myself ......... keep up the good work to the TMS team.

30. At 02:24 AM on 23 Jun 2007, I K wrote:

Hi Adam Mountford,

I would just like to request one thing!

Do you have any openings/ vacancies on your team?
    I live in the US (California) Cricket is absolutely thriving here and I would like to propose to you that I become your correspondent from Stateside!
    All the things you described in the article above apply to me and if you do have an opening..no mater what it is I am the man to do it! So if your hiring do email me please!
    TMS was my gateway into cricket until the mid 90's where I listened to it at school, through exams and even at work! Believe me I am qualified enough; I just need the chance!
    For cricket fans all across the world:
    Cricket is a passion and TMS has been its beating heart!

Anyhow Good luck in your new role and may TMS continue to thrive and evolve to maintain its status as a premiere cricket broadcaster!

31. At 07:11 AM on 23 Jun 2007, cricket fan wrote:

Well done Paul, he deserves a chance.

One unrelated topic, Did anyone see the Twenty / 20 game last night, it was brilliant and superb entertainment, well done ' the foxes'

The crown control at the end was unacceptable and clubs must do more to prevent people running on to the wicket at the end of a match, it was sad to see and brings health and safety issues for players and fans into question, not only that it looks like a crowd of yobs rather than happy cricket fans. This behaviour could easily spread into all forms of cricket if it is not stopped.

32. At 07:58 AM on 23 Jun 2007, Bill wrote:

Would it be possible to have Alec Stewart on TMS on a more regulas basis?
    He is excellent on 5Live and just as good when he has been on TMS. As a fairly recently retired player he gives a wondeful insight into the current game ans obviously speaks from a position of strength. Stewart and Boycott are the two best ex players on air.

33. At 01:15 PM on 23 Jun 2007, Phil Herd wrote:

My I say how much i am looking forward to the arrival of Mr mountford. I remember the production skills on the sony bronze winning ashes series on five live extra. I am sure TMS will only benefit.

34. At 04:59 PM on 23 Jun 2007, K.G.VENKATESH wrote:

All the best

35. At 06:43 AM on 24 Jun 2007, ColinJMWalker wrote:

Henry Blofeld is the best thing on TMS, when it is raining and there is no cricket his knowledge of the game and his stories cheer you up while you are waiting for the restart. I am also very disappointed when he is not commentating in test and other matches. I live in Dubai and listening to Henry and the rest of the TMS crew reminds me I am still an englishman. I want more of Henry not less and as others say leave him out at your peril. Good luck with the job, you have an hard act to follow in Peter.

36. At 05:41 PM on 24 Jun 2007, Markymark wrote:

Congratulations Adam, and good luck, and best wiches in retirement to Peter Baxter, whom I shall miss! (Is it possible to sjhip him in for the odd brief commentary stint?? Some of my fondest childhood cricket memories were Peter commentating on everseas tests!)

I have to admit I am torn on Blowers. He is a little eccentric, and this is both his blessing and his curse. At times it leads to wonderful unique broadcasting. But at times it can seem like an anacronism. So I don't know what you would do about him.

However what I don't want to see is TMS becoming yet another bland dull sports broadcasting institution. At the moment it is generally lively and interesting, and not afraid to at least acknowledge controversy. The only cricket broadcasters recently to have touched it were Channel 4. Long may it continue.

37. At 05:56 PM on 24 Jun 2007, Jonathan West wrote:

Adam - Good luck in your new job.

How about getting Donna Symonds back as a full-time commentator - she was superb to listen to a few seasons back.

And Jeremy Coney is another astute voice we could hear again, and no reason to limit them to "their" teams series v England.

38. At 07:02 PM on 24 Jun 2007, Tim Hooper wrote:

Could the TMSsound commentry be syncronised with the Sky TV broadcast so we can watch the TV with the sound off and listen to TMS?

39. At 04:07 PM on 25 Jun 2007, Sam Stevenson wrote:

Adam,

best wishes for the next 50 years.
    Keep Blowers, get Viv in on a more regular basis if possible, he has been superb this summer. I enjoy listening to Boycs but on occasion it seems as if he is being opinionated for the sake of it - although, as a professional Yorkshireman, he probably enjoys this!

Can you please do something about online rights for overseas test matches? I'm sure that no station, for example here in Poland, is paying anything for the radio rights here so the BBC must be able to get them cheap.

And in response to Tim Hooper, sky broadcasts invariably have a delay on them from live; I believe it's possible to synchronize using sky+ or delaying the online stream if listening through the computer. Yes, it's annoying - it was much easier when BBC had the television rights

Regards

40. At 02:36 PM on 26 Jun 2007, Nagaraja rao wrote:

Adam Gilchrist is the best cricketier in the world today. A fantastic batsman and a safe wicket keeper,Adam is an asset to any team.

Adam is a good team player,bats at any position he is asked to, contributes to the total,stays away from controversey,never comments unlike other self spokepersons. What more you want from a player.

Following in the footsteps of Tallon and Langley ,Adam is as safe a wicket keeper as one can get.

I admire Adam Gilchrist and he is my cricketing idol.

Nagaraja Rao, Toronto, Canada

41. At 11:59 AM on 27 Jun 2007, Roger Hyde wrote:

Best wishes to the legend Peter Baxter in his retirement, I look forward to reading his thoughts in whatever book he Publishes.

Good Luck as well to Adam as he takes over, I look forward the way he will take the program forward in a digital age.

For my part I like Blowers also I wouldn't mind getting Foxy Fowler back to.

I hope you enjoy your job as then we will surely enjoy your output.

42. At 03:52 PM on 27 Jun 2007, Grabyrdy wrote:

Just been reading an old book by Johnners about commentators - wanted to keep the humour, and the idiosyncracies, and the "radio voices". hear hear. That means Blowers, and Vic Marks.

43. At 08:41 AM on 29 Jun 2007, Richard Colley wrote:

Congratulations Adam - keep up the good work.
    PLEASE dont change too much!

In terms of analouge radios in cars with 198 LW:

Some cars do have 198LW but its not listed at LW frequency but on AM or MW.

If you have AM / LW you need to scan low enough down.

Even if you don't think you have it. Try scanning a low as you can on AM / MW and you never know!, you maybe presently surprised!

44. At 02:33 PM on 01 Jul 2007, Jo Fitz-Henry wrote:

All the best to you Peter in your retirement - you've done a sterling job with TMS and you were always so kind and friendly when I brought a cake up to the TMS commentary box at Trent Bridge - you had so much to do before a broadcast, but always had time for a quick word. Thank you for all the splendid broadcasts over the years.
    All the best to you Adam in your new role - I'll bring an inaugural cake for the ODI at Trent Bridge next Saturday!
    Jo
    Nottingham.
    PS Blowers must stay!

45. At 06:24 PM on 01 Jul 2007, Derek Young wrote:

Dear Mr Mountford,

"Blowers" is easily the best commentator you have. He is interesting, he does not have an over-inflated ego and most importantly, he actually tells us what is going on, to a far far greater degree than the other do.

After each ball, he will tell us how many runs came from it, at the end of each over he tells us the full score, including which over that has just ended - but NONE of the others are so consistant.

The best thing you could do is to tell your commentators what is required as a minimum after each ball and each over - us listeners are totally reliant upon the commentary, if you don't say the wcore (all elements), we can't know the score.

See what you can do.

Thanks

46. At 05:37 PM on 02 Jul 2007, Jainie wrote:

Daniel Radcliffe, aka Harry Potter. Supposedly the most famous teenager in the world, supposedly the richest teenager in the UK has discovered the joys of cricket. In am interview he's stated that later this year he's going to his first England match. an TMS have him as a guest for ' a view from the boundry'?

47. At 07:35 PM on 04 Jul 2007, Allen Maslen wrote:

Hello Adam,
    You might remember me as BBC Radio Coventry & Warwickshire's wandering garden minstrel. Or not, it was a long time ago!

I just wanted to say how delighted I am at your appointment as producer of the greatest show on radio. You must be chuffed to bits. Congratulations and good luck.

48. At 02:43 PM on 05 Jul 2007, Roy Jones wrote:

Adding to the Blowers debate, why has either he or CMJ (or both, in the case of Old Trafford), been absent from the test match commentaries?

On this, the 50th birthday of TMS, it is regretted that those who have served for such a major part of that history to create the unique appeal of the programme should now be excluded. Where is the sense of loyalty?

Since the passing of Johnners, the core commentary team has been - and should remain for all home tests – Aggers, Blowers & CMJ, each with their own style. On the occasions when the visiting test side is accompanied by their own national commentator – as distinct from summarisers - they should make up the fourth member of the team. However, that seems to be limited to only West Indies and Australia, so on every other occasion the fourth slot can be filled by the other commentators, such as Simon Mann, on a rotating basis.

Please don’t deny your listeners of these icons. Like John Arlott, Johnners, and others before them, they will be sorely missed when eventually their innings come to a close, so let us have as much of them as we can, while we can.

49. At 12:46 PM on 07 Jul 2007, Andy Smith wrote:

Hi guys,
    I'm a southerner but I learned about 'nesh' (still dont' know how you spell it) from my then girlfriend, now wife, Paula, who is from Telford Shropshire. In her county it nearly always means soft, wimpish.
    Later we moved to Derby (East Midlands) and the onyl times I heard it used there it meant the same thing. Hope that helps?

God bless,

Andy

Contact details

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy