BBC BLOGS - Blether with Brian
« Previous | Main | Next »

Blog blockage

Brian Taylor | 12:15 UK time, Monday, 23 June 2008

Bit of a blog blockage over the next day or so. I'm in Germany delivering a couple of lectures on Politics and Identity.

I'm speaking as a guest of the Deutsch Britifche Gesellschaft. It used to be known as the Deustche Englische Gesellschaft. How things change.

Comments

or register to comment.

  • 1. At 12:44pm on 23 Jun 2008, crazyislander wrote:

    Don't mention the war!

    Complain about this comment

  • 2. At 12:49pm on 23 Jun 2008, minuend wrote:

    I'm sure this Anglophile association in Germany will appreciate you waving the Union Jack on the behalf of the BBC, but I'm not sure your Scottishisms will be appreciated or understood.

    If you limit your conversation to the Royal Family, Last Night at the Proms, English tea parties, Wimbledon and Scotland being a county of England you will get on okay with your hosts.

    Complain about this comment

  • 3. At 1:01pm on 23 Jun 2008, crazyislander wrote:

    Ay, ye'll dae fine wi' the Royal Family. They are after all, Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg/Saxe-Coburg-Gotha wi' a drap o' Battenberg thrown in!

    Complain about this comment

  • 4. At 1:47pm on 23 Jun 2008, Sanddorn wrote:

    Brian, will the texts of your lectures be available anywhere?

    Complain about this comment

  • 5. At 1:58pm on 23 Jun 2008, Ken_Fitlike wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 6. At 2:43pm on 23 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    Brian

    I believe that Germany is itself a union of small states who these days retain some devolved powers as individual Landers but, as yet, with the possible exception of right-wing Bavaria, nobody is suggesting a break-up of that Union.

    Please let's have blog in which the poor subsidised Ost-Deustche can become a parody of Scotland/England (delete according to prejudice)

    Complain about this comment

  • 7. At 3:59pm on 23 Jun 2008, patbyrne wrote:

    The Deutsch-Britische Gesellschaft's website explains that the organisation changed its name from "Deutsch-Englische Gesellschaft" in 2001 to take account of the new constitutional realities in the UK. Oh, right. So England has now changed its name to Britain. Where does that leave Scotland? Or did it simply take them that long to realise that there's more to Britain than England. Anyway, I hope you clarify matters, Brian, when you talk to them abour Politics and Identity.

    Complain about this comment

  • 8. At 4:23pm on 23 Jun 2008, minceandmealie wrote:

    Actually Anglophone, I remember Germany foprmed a union with a smaller, German-speaking neighbour with which it had a common land border, many social and economic ties and so on. This was in the late 1930s. Tha union didn't last all that long, and I haven't heard of anyone in Austria asking for it to be re-established....

    Complain about this comment

  • 9. At 4:49pm on 23 Jun 2008, Green Soap wrote:

    Congratulations to the Deutsch-Britische Gesellschaft for changing its name. Its good to see that overseas bodies now realise the make up of the UK is not just England.

    Funnily enough, there's a large publicly funded organisation in Britain, that contains the word British in its title, thats only now just realised it needs to live up to its name.

    Complain about this comment

  • 10. At 4:59pm on 23 Jun 2008, Fit Like wrote:

    minceandmealie

    You also missed the fact that that Germany's leader at that point originally came from that neighbouring country.

    The similarities abound...

    Complain about this comment

  • 11. At 5:04pm on 23 Jun 2008, Dunroamin wrote:

    5. Another online poll for the nationalists to swamp, producing a ridiculously inaccurate result?

    What is the point?

    Complain about this comment

  • 12. At 5:23pm on 23 Jun 2008, Dougie MacDuibh wrote:

    #11

    As we are forever hearing about how much we allegedly gain from being part of the UK, is it beyond reason that the entity we are a part of is internationally recognised as 'Britain' or 'the UK', instead of England?

    Or, by implication, are people like yourself perfectly happy at being English by default?

    Your question, above, speaks volumes.

    If it falls to nationalists alone - and it evidently does - to stand up for Scotland, and her very identity, on the world stage, then more power to nationalism!

    Alba gu Brath!

    Complain about this comment

  • 13. At 6:57pm on 23 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Oh come one! Have we now become so (anlgo-) xenophobic that we now try and blame the English because the GERMANS mis-named a German society? Isn't that like a bit like a Canadian becoming upset with America, just because a Spaniard mistook him for an American?

    Minceandmealie refers to Anschluss - a bit extreme as a paradox, if not totally irrevelant, but nonetheless par for THIS course. However, he fails to mention that the vast majority of Austrians totally supported it - at the time - and would doubtless have continued to do so if the hostilities had a different outcome. So OF COURSE they wouldn't ask for it to be re-established after they'd LOST, would they?- duh!

    However, seeing Minceandmealie chooses to bring them into this subject(?!), the Nazis - in common with numerous other "non-Brits" before and since- frequently misused the terms "England and/or "the English", when actually MEANING the U.K. or Britain, or even the British Isles. Even we can hardly blame our neighbours down south for others' such geographical mistakes.

    Unless he really thinks the Wermacht meant it literally when they sang "Marching on England" or "Bombs over England" - THEIR song titles, not mine. Personally, I don't think Adolf had any intention of coming to a grinding halt at Hadrian's Wall, ask the folk at Clydebank......

    Complain about this comment

  • 14. At 8:25pm on 23 Jun 2008, brigadierjohn wrote:

    Well, so much for "Scotland in Europe" then? Talk about stereotyping! Is the above really the limit of our understanding of Germany today?
    Come on, you Nats. Get it all off your wee hairy chests - anything derogatory to say about the French? The Italians them, surely?
    We're not racists! We don't hate the English! We're internationalists! Oh yeah?
    You're a bunch of rather nasty xenophobes.

    Complain about this comment

  • 15. At 8:45pm on 23 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    John:

    A bit un-called for John. "You Nats..." The vast majority of Nationalists do not use this Blog and I am sure that they will also be offended by your out burst.

    You don't like Nationalism, the SNP and everything that they represent. We understand but to attack something personally by implying us all is out of order.

    Some Nats do not know anything about German History but guess what, either do some Unionists.

    It proves we are human does it not? We are the same are we not?

    Complain about this comment

  • 16. At 9:01pm on 23 Jun 2008, European_Unionist wrote:

    On the subject of the various musings about the German use of the word England and Englisch, it is worth remembering that these are, after all, German words and that the Germans cannot reasonably be expected to assign to them the precise meanings that we in Scotland assign to similar words in English . . . unless we make it easy for them. The pre-devolution constitutional arrangements made it very difficult for the average German to see Scotland as a country, not least because those arrangements allowed Scotland less of a constitutional profile within the UK than Bavaria had in Germany. Distinct though the Bavarians are, they are Germans, whereas we Scots are, of course, not English.

    Genuinely confusing for Germans it undoubtedly was. So confusing that, for instance, during the Second World War rather tuneful morale-boosting little ditties that were brought out in connection with the proposed invasion of Britain were, for example, "England Wird Fallen" and "Wir Fahren gegen England" or rather "Wir Fahren gegen Engeland", as that scanned better. I am afraid that the German high command had no inclination to stop at the Anglo-Scottish border and that in both cases "Grossbritannien" would have ruined the scansion altogether in any case.

    Changed days now, indeed, and they will change further for us and for our nomenclature in all European languages if we further reform our constitutional status so that Scotland can be present at the councils of the European Union as the member state that it deserves to be. An EU country which is not an EU member state will never be fully accepted in Europe as a country, I fear. Alas, one must be a realist, you see.

    Gute Reise und Hals und Beinbruch, Mr Taylor!

    Complain about this comment

  • 17. At 9:04pm on 23 Jun 2008, brigadierjohn wrote:

    Thomas: I'm sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities, but I read the blogs and those I referred to are undoubtedly nasty and xenophobic.
    Tell me, this (List D?) school of yours - do they ever teach English Interpretation? The secret is reading the text. Go back and read my second sentence. The words "the above" mean it was a reference to previous posts... not the whole of the SNP.
    And Thomas, do you really excuse ignorance by saying "Well, other people are ignorant too?" Human we may all be, but the same we are not!

    Complain about this comment

  • 18. At 9:18pm on 23 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    John:

    I have no problem with what you said. (I did understand) It is how you said it.

    That is all.

    but German History is quite interesting. I live in a City that the Germans planned to invade. If they did not run into problems then Aberdeen would of fallen under Nazi Rule.

    I wouldn't reccomend bringing that up as a conversation starter if you are in Germany though.

    Complain about this comment

  • 19. At 9:34pm on 23 Jun 2008, AMoffat3 wrote:

    I hope you get over your blockage - and enjoy yourself in Germany!

    Complain about this comment

  • 20. At 11:48pm on 23 Jun 2008, U9461192 wrote:

    I live in a City that the Germans planned to invade.

    I'd be more impressed if you lived in a city in the UK that the Germans didn't plan to invade. I thought they had big plans for all of us.

    Oh, I forget, it's all about Scotland.

    Complain about this comment

  • 21. At 00:15am on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    U9461192:

    You have no reason to post, why bother? I made no Party Political point and yet you have to resort to some type of comment that implies I care for Scotland and Scotland alone?

    Nazi Germany did have several invasion plans for the United Kingdom. One of them was an invasion from the North East, in Aberdeen.

    but you don't see what I am typing. All you see is a Nationalist typing and you have to make some point that implies that I am all about Scotland and do not think about anyone else.

    You alone would be reason enough for why I would vote for Independence.

    Complain about this comment

  • 22. At 01:44am on 24 Jun 2008, RupertM wrote:

    I believe in Scottish Nationalism. I yearn for an Independent Scotland. This is a major part of my identity.

    As the months roll on and an independent Scottish state becomes seemingly inevitable; I grow more fearful of losing my identity.

    What will happen to the starry eyed boy, told he is Scottish NOT English, when there is no United Kingdom? Will he not feel pride; only cold fact?

    I foresee myself ambling, lost in a state of confusion through Edinburgh while the independence street parties commence. How shall I define myself Then? What will fill the gap in my soul?

    Perhaps i will take up yoga.

    Complain about this comment

  • 23. At 03:06am on 24 Jun 2008, dennisjunior1 wrote:

    Brian:

    What is the place in English where you were talking to.

    Complain about this comment

  • 24. At 10:49am on 24 Jun 2008, darwinsmonkey wrote:

    Isn’t it interesting how so many Internet arguments on almost any topic end up with discussions of the Nazis and Hitler? I believe that this phenomenon is known as ‘Goodwin's Law’.

    Complain about this comment

  • 25. At 10:53am on 24 Jun 2008, makinghistory wrote:

    As a regular traveller in France, Belgium and Germany - and as a Scot who has recently returned home after many years in England -I have long been fascinated by this whole identity thing.

    My years in England made me very aware of just how very different the Scottish and English world views tend to be. Scots are more natural internationalists, looking forward to a future where Scotland becomes more like Norway, Denmark or Ireland. England suffers from a post-imperial hangover where WW2 still casts an unhealthy shadow over attitudes to European neighbours.

    On the other hand many Scots are deluded in the beleif that the English are engaged in some great rivalry with Scotland. To the majority of the English their 'rivals' are France and Germany. Scotland is largely an irrelevance about which their persists a high degree of ignorance.

    When 'Les Angles' invade continental Europe for the summer hols they almost universally identify themselves as 'English'. If you hear anyone calling themselves British they will almost certainly be Scottish or Welsh.

    The old SNP slogan 'Stop the World - Scotland wants to get on' seems as apt today as ever.

    Complain about this comment

  • 26. At 11:17am on 24 Jun 2008, bluelaw wrote:

    I grew up in the SE of England. Most English people affect to not care about Scotland but they very much do either loving it as a holiday destination or resenting it for its strong sense of identity and for having a cohesiveness England lacks.

    Complain about this comment

  • 27. At 12:20pm on 24 Jun 2008, Bangingonabout wrote:

    Bluelaw:

    When pressed a lot of English people fall back on their county of origin (ie a Yorkshireman rather than an Englishman) in order to get their sense of identity.

    However, most English people I know actually ADMIRE Scotland for its strong sense of identity.

    But you seem intent on propagating this myth that most English people somehow "have it in" for Scotland in order to justify your sense of injustice - interpreting any comment as a slight against Scotland.

    English person: "Bit rainy up there."
    Bluelaw: "What have you got against Scottish Weather"

    Complain about this comment

  • 28. At 12:41pm on 24 Jun 2008, brigadierjohn wrote:

    RupertM: #22 - A satirist fallen among thieves. I love it! But take a look at #23. If there was a Nobel Prize for illiteracy....

    Complain about this comment

  • 29. At 12:44pm on 24 Jun 2008, bluelaw wrote:

    I completely refute any suggestion that I as a Scots Nat am anti-English. Tomorrow night for example I will be watching the football with a very dear Southern English friend and two girls originally from the Midlands. I just speak as I find which reflects my Scottishness IMO.

    I think most English people are conditioned to think they are the best in a relatively benign manner of course but it's true that many think that whatever anyone else has to offer can never better what they have and this constant unknowing belief in their superiority is given constant vent. Of course if you're German or French or Dutch this attitude is largely irrelevant because not only are they geographically somewhat distant in many many areas they are much more successful than England and unlike Scotland such attitudes cannot directly affect them as they can Scotland through Westminster, the BBC etc etc. That IMHO is why Scots are much more sensitive about these things. Of course yet again the only logical way to address this is to become independent not only to have a more equitable relationship with England but to have IMO a truer sense of ourselves and move away from having to feel defensive about our country. We really deserve to be as confident in ourselves as any other group. To think otherwise is actually very arrogant and egotistical if you think about it.

    Complain about this comment

  • 30. At 12:46pm on 24 Jun 2008, U9461192 wrote:

    You have no reason to post, why bother? I made no Party Political point and yet you have to resort to some type of comment that implies I care for Scotland and Scotland alone?

    Hmmm. I wonder what would give anybody that impression. Oh, here we go....

    Nazi Germany did have several invasion plans for the United Kingdom. One of them was an invasion from the North East, in Aberdeen.

    QED

    but you don't see what I am typing. All you see is a Nationalist typing and you have to make some point that implies that I am all about Scotland and do not think about anyone else.

    Implies? It's a self-evident fact. Every whine you have is about how Scotland is hard done by or Scotland is neglected or Scotland this... Scotland that...blah blah

    You alone would be reason enough for why I would vote for Independence.

    Bwahahahah. Like you need a 'reason'. You've got the 'Braveheart' video. What more reason do you want.

    Complain about this comment

  • 31. At 12:55pm on 24 Jun 2008, bluelaw wrote:

    It's not whining or whingeing. Scotland is hard done by. The figures are there. It's a fact.

    Complain about this comment

  • 32. At 1:02pm on 24 Jun 2008, U9461192 wrote:

    I just speak as I find which reflects my Scottishness IMO.

    You can be sure if an Englishman spoke as he found you'd interpret him as being an arrogant, self-opinionated Sassanach.

    I think most English people are conditioned to think they are the best in a relatively benign manner of course but it's true that many think that whatever anyone else has to offer can never better what they have and this constant unknowing belief in their superiority is given constant vent.

    Only in your paranoid head. So, your 'argument' about the 'superior attitude' of the English is that they only show it in a relatively benign manner. A kind of 'English Cringe' is it? We're great but we don't like to shout about it?

    You have serious 'issues' my dear boy if all you can feel any time you talk to the English are these benign waves of superiority. I think psychologists would interpret it as benign waves of inferiority on your part. Probably the fault of the English though. I'm guessing you'll have a cure for that. I'm guessing it'll involve independence.

    Wow. You want to get to know some French people if you want to see what a (sorely mistaken) belief in your nation's superiority looks like. Or indeed many Scots people who seem to have no kind of 'cringe' at all about telling you how marvellous they are and how fantastic Scotland is. And how you wish you had a strong sense of national identity like us Scots.

    Aye, whatever you say my beetroot-faced friend.

    Although they wouldn't want to live there. Obviously. Because the English have made it unbearable.

    That IMHO is why Scots are much more sensitive about these things.

    You say 'toma-toe', I say 'toma-tow'
    You say 'sensitive', I say 'touchy'

    Complain about this comment

  • 33. At 1:12pm on 24 Jun 2008, U9461192 wrote:

    It's not whining or whingeing. Scotland is hard done by. The figures are there. It's a fact.

    I wouldn't trust any figures this Labour government produces. One way or the other. Just as the SNP has been producing its own figures for years to counteract the 'official' figures.

    I'd have thought the obvious conclusion to draw if the UK government now produces figures to show Scotland in the black is because Scotland is so seriously in the red it's time to jettison. Indeed, since apparently it's the civil service compiling the figures without reference to ministers I'd say it's just more evidence that the establishment has turned completely against Labour and is determined to sink it for good. Even if that means getting shot of Scotland so that the UK is no longer stuck with a block-vote of over-represented socialists.

    In any case it's still whining.

    Nyaaaah, they're taking all our oil money. Nyaaaaah.

    See? Whining.

    Complain about this comment

  • 34. At 1:14pm on 24 Jun 2008, U9461192 wrote:

    I believe in Scottish Nationalism. I yearn for an Independent Scotland. This is a major part of my identity.

    You want to get out more.

    Complain about this comment

  • 35. At 1:34pm on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    U9461192:

    "Implies? It's a self-evident fact. Every whine you have is about how Scotland is hard done by or Scotland is neglected or Scotland this... Scotland that...blah blah."

    Do you actually understand the English language?

    Please show where, when I spoke about the Nazi invasion plans in the North East, did I whine about how hard done Scotland is?

    You know what...as soon as Scotland is Independent I shall start campaigning to join the European Union.

    Yes...I think I will do that.

    Complain about this comment

  • 36. At 1:52pm on 24 Jun 2008, bluelaw wrote:

    The supposedly arrogant French and Germans are never as ready to decry Scotland and the Scots the way many English people are. But you're still our friends. We still love you, kind of ;-)

    Complain about this comment

  • 37. At 2:02pm on 24 Jun 2008, darwinsmonkey wrote:

    Thomas Porter

    Please show where, when I spoke about the Nazi invasion plans in the North East, did I whine about how hard done Scotland is?

    What exactly is your point? Why are you obsessed with a war that ended over 60 years ago? Are you disappointed that the Nazis did not liberate you from the evil Union? Well I suppose they were trying in their own way to create a European Union of sorts.

    Complain about this comment

  • 38. At 2:03pm on 24 Jun 2008, U9461192 wrote:

    Do you actually understand the English language?

    Oh steady on. I think you might want to learn to walk before you can run with the English language backchat old chap. I've been cutting you a lot of slack and taking into account the undoubtedly poor standard of teaching you've been getting at school to date.

    Please show where, when I spoke about the Nazi invasion plans in the North East, did I whine about how hard done Scotland is?

    There goes your comprehension again. You might want to read the entire paragraph rather then the first sentence.

    You know what...as soon as Scotland is Independent I shall start campaigning to join the European Union.

    Yes...I think I will do that.


    Knock yourself out. I think the plan is for Scotland to be in the EU by default anyway but if you want to make doubly sure then go right ahead. You're confusing me with somebody who cares.

    Complain about this comment

  • 39. At 2:09pm on 24 Jun 2008, U9461192 wrote:

    The supposedly arrogant French and Germans are never as ready to decry Scotland and the Scots the way many English people are

    Look to your history again Bluelaw. The French are always going to be massaging the Scottish egos. It's how they kept you as a second front for so long during their quest for world domination.

    And yet again it is why they massage your egos. Break the union, divide the UK, assume control of Europe. It's been their plan since day one. They've been cross since Trafalgar. I guess it's just that 'Trainspotting' ambition y'all have to be ruled by somebody other than the English eh? ;-)

    As I said on another thread (I think) our Norman rulers are more powerful than your Norman rulers.

    Complain about this comment

  • 40. At 3:46pm on 24 Jun 2008, dycered33 wrote:

    "I'd have thought the obvious conclusion to draw if the UK government now produces figures to show Scotland in the black is because Scotland is so seriously in the red it's time to jettison. "


    If that is so true them give the Scottish parliment fiscal autonomy through devolved powers..............

    It could be done this week

    Complain about this comment

  • 41. At 3:46pm on 24 Jun 2008, bighullabaloo wrote:

    U9461192 -
    Have you got any idea how abusive you sound?

    It's not Scotland that's in crisis but a country whose inhabitants, more and more suspiciously, never seem to tire of telling Scots what whinging, "chip on the shoulder" scroungers they all are.

    Take a moment to consider that the sort of people who use such abusive language are invariably bullies with a guilty conscience!

    Complain about this comment

  • 42. At 3:46pm on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    darwinsmonkey:

    Can I ask why you are answering to a question that was directed at U9461192?

    Can I also ask why you feel that I am obsessed with WW2 since that was my first time bringing it up?

    Again, what I first wrote had no Party Political point but since I am a Nationalist then every Unionist has to get on my back.

    I think you need a better hobby then picking arguments with a 16 year old Nationalist.

    U9461192:

    If you really did not care then I don't know why you bother to qoute what I say then comment on it.

    You must care. If you can spare the time to do so.


    Complain about this comment

  • 43. At 4:04pm on 24 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Thomas Porter

    Well pal, you've lost me! Proposed Nazi invasion from the north east?! Pray tell, why did you say that? What on earth has that got to do with the subject? Anyway, I'd always thought the entire UK was the plan.

    P.S. - They also planned to bomb New York. Just as relevant as your comment.....

    Complain about this comment

  • 44. At 4:24pm on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    Planejock:

    Long story short.

    To show Nats can understand Germany and their History. (an earlier comment implied we didn't)

    and yes to conqour the whole of the UK was their plan but they had to start somewhere...

    Which brings me back to the basic issue that some Nats do know Germanys background. Not all of course but some.

    Complain about this comment

  • 45. At 4:28pm on 24 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Thomas Porter

    It's no use retreating to your age (aah, bless...!) as a fallback position, you chose this as a rostrum, you weren't forced in. Be a Braveheart.

    Two sayings spring to mind,

    a). Little children that play with fire get their fingers burned.

    and

    b). If you cannot stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

    Complain about this comment

  • 46. At 4:36pm on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    Planejock:

    Of course. I just don't appreciate the negativity when it is towards a stranger and over the internet.

    Just because I am a Nationalist does not mean everything must be created to be Party Political which what was what darwinsmonkey was doing.

    "Are you disappointed that the Nazis did not liberate you from the evil Union?"

    Turning whatever I say into a Party Politics matter...

    Complain about this comment

  • 47. At 4:39pm on 24 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Thos Porter.

    Still totally irrelevant. Did anyone suggest we Nats DIDN'T understand the Germans and their history?
    Go back to Brian's subject. It's about a German society being re-named. In the 21st Century. At your rate we'll all be re-fighting Bannockburn.

    Complain about this comment

  • 48. At 4:48pm on 24 Jun 2008, Richard_the_Rogue wrote:

    Y'know, I was just wistfully reminiscing about the good old days, when Brian's blog was a pleasure to read and partake in. There was sometimes heated and passionate discussion, but usually with a modicum of data or evidence of some kind to back up the various stances of the contributors.

    Ahhh....

    Changed days....

    Oh well, at least now we know how far we can push the moderators.

    Pity nobody paid any attention to Crazyislander.

    Complain about this comment

  • 49. At 5:31pm on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    Planejock:

    "Did anyone suggest we Nats DIDN'T understand the Germans and their history?"

    Yeah.

    Complain about this comment

  • 50. At 5:40pm on 24 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Thos. Porter

    My point made, methinks. Thanks for all the detail. You're not doing our cause much good here, time you left the kitchen now?

    Complain about this comment

  • 51. At 5:48pm on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    Planejock:

    I'm not going to hold your hand and show you what I was replying back to.

    Feel free to read the entire blog then maybe you will find what I first replied back to.

    Complain about this comment

  • 52. At 6:00pm on 24 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Thos. Porter

    Brian's Blog Subject:
    ".... I'm speaking as a guest of the Deutsch Britifche Gesellschaft. It used to be known as the Deustche Englische Gesellschaft. How things change".

    Some things might change Brian, but others of us are still at Bannockburn.

    Complain about this comment

  • 53. At 6:41pm on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    Planejock:

    Yes because I mentioned Bannockburn did I?

    Quite difficult commenting on what someone else has wrote when you have not made the effort to read it all first isn't it?

    I think you have lost it now.

    Complain about this comment

  • 54. At 6:51pm on 24 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Thos. Porter:

    You seem REALLY reluctant to get back to the actual SUBJECT, nothing to contribute?

    I already have, but to quote you, twice, and not withstanding your tautology:

    "I'm not going to hold your hand and show you what I was replying back to."

    and

    "Feel free to read the entire blog then maybe you will find what I first replied back to."

    Touche!

    Complain about this comment

  • 55. At 7:03pm on 24 Jun 2008, Trimm Trab wrote:

    Not Brians blog aswell.

    Everywhere online is full of uber nats and uber unionsts that think they are better and right.

    Both probably make up 1% of the population but ruin 100% of online discussions with garbage.

    You opinions (like mine) are worthless and most of them meaningless. How about and informend discussion? Or does the ability to do that vanish when you become super pro or anti Union?

    You know most of us dont care whether Scotland is independant or not. We just get on with our lives.

    Complain about this comment

  • 56. At 7:10pm on 24 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    #36 Bluelaw - The supposedly arrogant French and Germans are never as ready to decry Scotland and the Scots the way many English people are. But you're still our friends. We still love you, kind of ;-)

    Bluelaw...you're back. Trust me...I work abroad too and most Germans are blissfully unaware of the distinction between Scotland and England in the same way that Brits are unaware of the distinction between Bavaria and the rest of Germany. And maybe just a wee shock about the Auld Alliance...they weren't allies because they liked you.

    Liked your piece on the English suffering from a unique post imperial angst (an empire that clearly had no Scots involved at all). Ask around your colleagues and you will find that virtually every European country had an empire of some description or another in the past 200 years. Surely we should all be suffering from post-imperial angst. Or are they just teaching you guys about Robert the Bruce and ignoring European History at school these days?

    Complain about this comment

  • 57. At 7:11pm on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    Planejock:

    "You seem REALLY reluctant to get back to the actual SUBJECT, nothing to contribute?"

    I have said all I wanted to.

    but I would of thought the subject could of been..."How things change..."

    We know why Deustche Englische Gesellschaft was changed to Deutsch Britifche Gesellschaft. (not much of a subject)

    Brian, could of left the last words ..."How things change..." for us to speak about how things have and can change.

    Did you look at what Brian had wrote in that way?

    Complain about this comment

  • 58. At 7:19pm on 24 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    #55 Trimtrab

    Apologies, you're right. It would be great to stick to the subject but every blog is infested with the same single issue obssessives. I wish that I didn't have to blog here at all but there isn't a dedicated blog for English affairs and I get get riled by by the narcissistic ramblings of the self-convinced and before you know it's started again.

    errr....I have no views on the Deutsch Britifche Gesellschaft, but I hope that Brian has a nice time.

    Thomas Porter...I just wrote something really patronising and unkind about you on the previous blog!!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 59. At 7:19pm on 24 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    Thomas Porter...had you going!!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 60. At 7:26pm on 24 Jun 2008, brigadierjohn wrote:

    Brian is in Germany talking about "politics and identity." Would anyone here be ashamed if they were in the lecture hall and Brian chose to describe the Scots identity by quoting from this blog?
    Educated Germans would be horrified, although not very surprised, to see themselves depicted as Nazis today. (There are still a few of them over there, but we have plenty too).
    Calling Germans "Nazis" is a bit like calling the Scots "porridge-swilling drunks." Or picking on BNP football thugs as an example of Englishmen.
    I take a fair old kicking here from time to time, probably well-deserved for my provocations and wind-ups. But that's between ourselves. Our fellow Europeans are generally well-disposed to the Scots (I exclude the women who have been vomitted over by self-exposing Tartan Army soldiers), so ignorant rudeness serves us not at all.
    Maybe we can blame the English for our bad manners? At least The Oil Fund will finance a few charm schools.

    Complain about this comment

  • 61. At 7:29pm on 24 Jun 2008, bluelaw wrote:

    Don't be absurd. The Germans are all to aware of the differences between Scotland and England.

    Complain about this comment

  • 62. At 8:08pm on 24 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    Bluelaw:

    Don't be to sure about that.

    When I was in Germany I was not classed as Scottish, English or British but as German.

    I don't know how I was mistaken as German but I had my English compliamented and asked where I went for school because of my 'good' English, the school must be great.

    Just goes to show that Europe may be full of different Nationalities but at the end of the day we are not that much different.

    Complain about this comment

  • 63. At 9:10pm on 24 Jun 2008, portcharlotte wrote:

    Inevitably most of the discussion has related to Germans and to their understanding of the distinction between Scotland, England Britain or the UK.

    However failing to see these distinctions with the clarity of us Scots is very widespread. That its a problem is only viewed by us Scots.

    Another example would be most of the USA who refer to to Britain/UK as England, the Queen of Great Britain and Nortnern Ireland as the Queen of England and the British Government as the Government of England, and have been known to ask is Scotland in England.
    And there are many more examples.

    Closer to home and more irritating is the English who have broadly the same mindset.
    In recent major World Cup and European Cup Football Competitions ( excepting thie current one) the BBC usually sent an army of reporters to Sauchiehall Street to ask 'Will you be supporting England'. We've written this off as either a) the English gloating at the Scots absence from the competition or b) English insecurity seeking re-assurance. But the fact is it is driven by a bewilderment that the Scots wouldn't support their home nation England.

    But there is evidence of progress in 1966 when England won the football world cup the English supporters waved the Union Flag believing it to be theirs. Now English supporters wave the cross of St George but this progress is slow and at times imperceptible.

    The bottom line is we have a marketing problem we claim to be an independent nation bound in a Union but most of the instruments of Government and Media lie in the hands of the UK Government whose MPs, Ministers ( with some notable exceptions) and Civil Servants are predominately English with English perceptions and attitudes. Thus instinctively the Britain=England perception is promoted.
    And this has been true for at least 300 years.

    One solution is as the SNP advocate to pursue indepence and advocate our own identity.

    At the risk of sparking another debate this may take sometime so what do we do in the meantime. We need a game plan to promote Scotland at all levels of society and in all countries in the World. It will take a massive effort that would make even Saatchi and Saatchi pale at the task.

    So perhaps the SNP approach is the only workable solution. How many Scots knew of Croatia untill the fall of Yugoslavia and how many English know of Croatia now after the qualifying for the current European Championship.

    Complain about this comment

  • 64. At 10:42pm on 24 Jun 2008, devonbrit wrote:

    For such a short blog 63 comments to date have been generated some amusing,others both irate and irrational, some downright abusive and none i can find very constructive.
    It is depressing when peoples ,whose ties have been so close over such a long time and enjoy the same freedoms,wind each other up by bringing into the discussion the war ,Braveheart etc.
    The ''Deutsch-Englische Gesellschaft" issue seems to have generated such passion over what is a trivial matter in the scheme of things.
    Of course the blog in this instance has developed into one of nationalism and as ever certain contributors have soon displayed all the old ugly prejudices so easily associated with it.


    Complain about this comment

  • 65. At 11:06pm on 24 Jun 2008, SuperJulianR wrote:

    Brian, I do hope you explain to the Germans that, while Germany is one country, 'Grossbritannien' is FOUR separate countries incorporated (for the time being) into one state.

    Complain about this comment

  • 66. At 00:10am on 25 Jun 2008, pattymkirkwood wrote:

    brigadierjohn:

    "Come on, you Nats. Get it all off your wee hairy chests - anything derogatory to say about the French? The Italians them, surely?
    We're not racists! We don't hate the English! We're internationalists! Oh yeah?
    You're a bunch of rather nasty xenophobes."

    I must say that sounded rather like stereotyping to me!

    Branding everyone on one side in such a crass way is really beneath contempt. I don't judge every unionist on Gordon Brown's NF-style slogans: "British jobs for British workers", or ridiculous ideas floated by various junior ministers: like a "British-ness day". Including "the above" in a rant like that as some sort of all purpose get-out clause is no excuse.


    Incidentally, I wish to echo Sanddorn's (#4) early post: if a link could be provided to the text of Brian’s upcoming lectures on politics and identity I would appreciate it.

    Complain about this comment

  • 67. At 01:46am on 25 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Thos. Porter

    Aah well, you did say Brian was inviting us to open the matter out a little. On the other hand, I did try to steer you back towards safer ground, being the subject. No however, you then insist on boasting about the standard of your English. Oh dear, yet another can of beans, what have you gone and done now?!

    Your #62. Complimented you on your English?! Perhaps spoken, but written - hardly!

    Your #57. "....could of...." ? Do you mean the mean the correct form, "could HAVE"? (When quoting the spoken word, often "could've" - which many think as being "could of", but actuallly isn't.) And don't kid on it's a typo, you said "could of" twice in the same post!

    Your #18. "Would of", same ruling as above - correct "would have", or "would've". Incidentally, you did seem rather proud that the Nazis wanted to occupy Aberdeen...

    Your 57#. "...Brian had wrote..."
    Correct form, "...Brian wrote..." OR "...Brian had written..." .

    Etc, etc, etc!

    I wholly accept that blogs aren't intended to scale dizzy linguistic heights and nor should they, it's the freedom of opinion that counts. So I've done my best to ignore your numerous misspellings, tortology and nouns with inappropriate capital letters.

    But when you start to boast about the standard of your English, that's the limit!

    Anyway, I've baited you enough for now - just too easy.

    Complain about this comment

  • 68. At 03:26am on 25 Jun 2008, cruiskeen wrote:

    Well Brian,

    When your finished giving lectures over there; how-about coming back over here and debating the purpose of your blog, "blether with Brian".

    I thought the idea was; you pick the topic, we give our opinion, and you reply?.

    What's the lecture about; `profit and how to keep it`?.



    Complain about this comment

  • 69. At 05:13am on 25 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Thos. Porter
    I withdraw my #67, shouldn't have posted it.
    Btw, I misspelt tautology!

    Complain about this comment

  • 70. At 11:48am on 25 Jun 2008, brigadierjohn wrote:

    Pattymkirkwood: #66 I replied to your point 'way back in #17, in an answer to Tireless Thomas. Also, I notice you didn't choose to address my main point, about the nasty xenophobic posts from SNP people. Perhaps you think it's OK constantly to abuse Germans about their history?
    Is there an SNP "Blog School" somewhere? I get the impression that it's motto might be: If You Can't Answer the Point, Attack the Person.
    Gordon Brown and the NF? Then you criticise ME!
    Is there anything you can say without resort to sloganising? I thought young Thomas was the SNP's "Comical Ali" but I may have to revise that opinion.

    Complain about this comment

  • 71. At 12:13pm on 25 Jun 2008, inmykip wrote:

    #70, BrigadierJohn aren't you being somewhat hypocritical, accusing pro-independence bloggers of various wrongdoings? I've no doubt you are correct some (NOT ALL, do try not to generalise BrigadierJohn) pro-independence posters have done as you accuse, but I have read many of your posts in here and I can assure you BrigadierJohn, you are every bit as bad as those you accuse.

    Complain about this comment

  • 72. At 12:39pm on 25 Jun 2008, bingowings87 wrote:

    #65, how about doing your research first....

    Great Britain is a geographic, not a political entity. It comprises 2 nations and a principality.

    Complain about this comment

  • 73. At 12:40pm on 25 Jun 2008, pattymkirkwood wrote:

    "Attack the person"? That is rich when you just called most, if not all, pro-independence contributors to this blog "xenophobic": on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.

    On Gordon Brown and the National Front;

    The slogan "British jobs for British workers" has a long history in the politics of the UK. It was first used by the National Front and is now a favourite of the British National Party (even more so since Brown borrowed it).

    You don’t have a "main point" you merely repeat the slur: claiming your opponents are "xenophobes" with "wee hairy chests"! And yes, I dare to criticise you; precisely because you deliberately tarred all those supporting independence as xenophobes. This is rather like me comparing all unionists to Norway's Vidkun Quisling (which I am emphatically not doing) - even though I believe them to be (unknowingly) serving the interests of a nation other than their own.

    We have had polite discussions in the past notably on the terminology surrounding posting on the blogosphere - the term "mobbing" was of particular interest to us both. I hope we will be able to have similarly civilised exchanges in the future. But you have most definitely crossed a line here in needlessly branding your opponents "xenophobic".

    You just carry on throwing about that word if it makes you happy brigadier. However, may I suggest that when even Lord Foulkes had to apologise for using it in the past: your current line of attack is leaving you in very poor company indeed.

    Complain about this comment

  • 74. At 12:43pm on 25 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    I'm starting to wonder if Brian is just having a laugh...leaving an ambiguous blog, popping off on his hols and watching the various rats run predictably around the maze?

    Seeing as Brian is talking about the whole Anglo-German thing (I say Anglo partly to annoy Thomas but mostly because it's easier to say than Britanno-German). I suspect that we don't really understand the issue of German identity. As a country it is after all only about 150 years old and comprised of dozens of mini-statelets and principalities unified under Bismark. It has been through its ultra-nationalistic phase, to the detriment to the rest of Europe and has emerged as a mature(ish) democracy in which overt nationalism is seen as "bad form". I have a number of German friends and they tend to identify more with their home region than the wider country. It's their roots, their culture...and neatly sidesteps any arkward leagcy issues.

    I have never yet however met any Germans who thought that it would be a good idea to break up the country into smaller bits. I think that they are much too intelligent and level headed for that. They don't get excited about...Prussia whacking Saxony or vice versa at some point in the past. They have far too many immediate issues to solve such as unemployment, stubborn disparities between East and West, energy security etc etc.

    If only we could devote our energies to sorting out the problems of the UK rather than indulge in this tedious debate with the dead-bat of nationalist logic. Why can't we be more like the Germans?

    Is that sufficiently topical for everyone?

    Complain about this comment

  • 75. At 12:55pm on 25 Jun 2008, Dougie MacDuibh wrote:

    Brigadier

    Becoming familiar as we are with your particular prejudices, you are evidently capable of some level of constructive contribution - but only on those occasions where you steer clear of making offensive personal attacks on other posters.

    Not for the first time, you are have been guilty of rank hypocrisy in your charges, specifically against pro-independence bloggers.

    Personally, I can (mostly) respect, whilst opposing, your political stance as a Scottish unionist.

    However, I feel the closest we've seen to 'xenophobia' in these threads is coming from those whose attacks refer to Scots in the third person, threaten to 'up-sticks' and leave in the event of independence, and throw up abhorrent spectres and apocalyptic scenarios against independence and those who would support it.

    Concurrently, those people also paint a less than attractive picture of the union we are supposed to embrace, to the point where one is often forced to doubt whether they share any common perspective with the people or the best interests of Scotland.

    Against that background, some coherent, positive, even credible points in favour of the union - as opposed to relentless and mindless 'nat-bashing' - might come as a welcome change.

    Until then, those of us in favour Scotland's independence have the right to our opinion without being conveniently labelled as nasty and xenophobic.

    Complain about this comment

  • 76. At 1:10pm on 25 Jun 2008, Dougie MacDuibh wrote:

    Anglophone

    Have just read your above post with interest.

    Now I have a sincere question.

    Can you honestly say that projected comparisons between the UK and Germany are reliable?

    Whilst the principalities of Germany also have their own historic identities, I would venture that there is a far greater balance of power and equality across the German federation, which contrbutes to the sense of a mutually beneficial union.

    In the case of the UK, the historical union was between two entities.

    The balance of power is anything but equal.

    The UK is not federated, but highly-over centralised.

    Not much room there for comparison, or encouragement for the UK's 'Celtic fringe' - is there???

    Complain about this comment

  • 77. At 2:18pm on 25 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    76 Dougie Dubh

    Thanks for getting things back on to a reasoned response. I see the point you are making, but I have to disagree. There are considerable disparities in power between Lander depending upon their populations (it's basically the US model) and the number of deputies they return. There is also a very large disparity in economic power between the West and the old East Germany (which didn't do terribly well as an independent country within Comecon).

    Nationalists in Germany are largely restricted to a vocal minority of particularly unpleasant skinhead types rather people romantic yearnings for an "independent Bavaria in Europe".

    It's a big mistake to think that continental European countries are prosperous, homogeneous and populated solely by tri-lingual philosophers.

    Complain about this comment

  • 78. At 2:26pm on 25 Jun 2008, Tom wrote:

    Planejock:

    Yes you overreacted quite abit. I never said anything about my written English.

    but my with my Scottish accent I found it amusing that I was mistaken for someone who had lived in Germany.

    Perhaps that shows the differences between German regions? Each have their own accents and I happened to pass from someone in another region.

    Anglophone:

    You can talk about England and reffer to Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland at the same time for all I cared to be honest.

    "I have never yet however met any Germans who thought that it would be a good idea to break up the country into smaller bits. I think that they are much too intelligent and level headed for that."

    A small attack against the Nationalists here but do you agree with Unions in theory?

    Then you will agree with the centralisation of Europe? You would agree that all our powers should be handed over to Brussels and our countries to become regions of Europe?

    If our Union is great then the EU must be taken to similar levels and work in similar ways.

    Complain about this comment

  • 79. At 2:39pm on 25 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    78 TP

    You came out fighting! No i don't like nationalist (witha small "n") I support the European Union as a high level concept but I'm dismayed by what is happening.

    I think that you are confusing national unions with supra-national unions which tend to have a chequered success record (Yugoslavia, Soviet Union etc). I think that the two things are completely different.

    If the European could genuinely become democratic and accountable then I would not in principle oppose a greater pooling of sovereignity and economic management. We are however I think a very long way from achieving that. The most recent attempt at streamlining could also be interpreted as steamrollering smaller countries into towing the line.

    Complain about this comment

  • 80. At 2:54pm on 25 Jun 2008, gardinera wrote:

    I don't know about a philosopher, but I can get by in a few languages, am a Scot and live in Freistaat Bayern...

    Bavaria is rather 'different' from the other Länder. That would be agreed upon by all sides here. In the past there were very serious moves and votes in place concerning Bavaria (and one may still note that there is the CDU/CSU split persona on the right of the political spectrum).

    Germans do indeed make little distinction usually between England and Britain; and indeed in the UK little distinction was made for a long time by anyone who had a say in the matter! So gentle educational correction when someone else gets it wrong, more direct correction if the person is from the UK.

    Unions generally are there for reasons. Reasons come, reasons go, reasons change.

    At the moment we have a raft of data which point towards the common sense (for Scotland) of a change of course towards a broader based Union (EU, market stability, access to markets, general principles of democracy, general principles of funding etc etc) rather than the current narrower one (UK, market flexibility, more dynamic positioning, maybe-too-close-link to the US).
    In the other direction there is the reasonable caution of change for the sake of it and the devil you don't know quite as well...

    There is the old pithy comment
    - said the farmer to the pig 'You can tell the quality of a man by the company he chooses'; and with that the pig rose up and walked away...

    'all our powers' - like invisibility and doing other things spiders can? Or do you mean aligning measurement units to some degree and having basic human rights laws...? Do you really think we need the extension of the possibility of holding without trial? Or are you talking about the Sun fantasist rubbish about banana curvature ;-)

    Complain about this comment

  • 81. At 3:07pm on 25 Jun 2008, brigadierjohn wrote:

    Oh dear. Tears on my keyboard, pain in my heart...
    Well folks, I tried to make a serious point in post #60, but no one accepted the challenge. And still, no one has suggested that it might be wrong to equate Germans with Nazis. But let it pass.

    Pattymkirkwood: If it makes you happy, please substitute "people who are thoughtless in describing foreigners" for "xenophobes." But it is truly annoying when fellow Scots do exactly what we accuse others of doing. How often have tou raged at the TV when an item on Scotland gratuitously includes kilts, bagpipes and whisky without any reason?

    DougieDubh: I'm not sure it's prejudice. I'm open to argument and persuasion. I support the Union because I have not yet seen an alternative that strikes me as a better deal. My excessive outbursts (I plead guilty) come when I believe impressionable people are being misled by over-optimistic predictions, historical selectivity and appeals to selfishness. Lack of reliable information means very few people, myself among them, are equipped to make huge judgements about Scotland's future. I'm sorry - our future.

    InMyKip: So I'm a hypocrite. Political debate and hypocrisy go together, sadly. I wish I was a philosopher. I drink too many units of wine. I'm telling you not to drink too many units of wine. A hypocrite. Yup.

    Complain about this comment

  • 82. At 3:13pm on 25 Jun 2008, gardinera wrote:

    Seems to me that you are confusing nation-states (e.g. France, Denmark) and non-nation-states (e.g. UK, Germany) acting in union (the EU) and non-nation-states (Yugoslavia, Soviet Union, UK, Germany).

    Now where there is a Federal setup (Germany) is different from the UK, where there is a funny wee setup, partially due to its split crown/parliament timing. Add devolution to that.
    Spain would probably be closest, with Catalonia as the analogous part to Scotland (in many ways).

    I wonder if anyone knows how the Scottish office in Brussels gets on with the other regional offices like the Catalonians and the Bavarians. Could we not encourage beer, brez'n, tapas nights with a wee dram to finish it off (sounds blinking good to me!)? Intercultural understanding usually comes on leaps and bounds when kilts/computers and lederhosen/laptops get together.

    My chest is hairy but not wee. Strange, but the last few comments have been quite interesting and noone has been using shouty voices. 's nice.

    Thomas; I have to admit that I'm glad someone said something, about the 'of' issue though. It's been bugging for a while...

    Complain about this comment

  • 83. At 3:14pm on 25 Jun 2008, gardinera wrote:

    My keyboard, which can do Umlauts (drat, can't even write the plural without saying Umlaeute, which is just UGLY) has defeated the BBC computer system. How European...

    Complain about this comment

  • 84. At 3:32pm on 25 Jun 2008, gardinera wrote:

    Briggie

    It is wrong to equate the two terms. It is equally misleading to fall for the 'we were all hypnotised and there were only 5 of them really' that is sometimes put out.

    Xenophobes etc etc. Its just a pity the name calling isnt moderated out. It spoils a decent natter. I remember discussing the devolution vote with some other Scots. They found it mental that I thought a 'yes' vote was daft, but I was the only one that had actually read the contract!

    Only some data is even half reliable in this situation Briggie; common sense would have one realise that the same wool should not be pulled over eyes as in the 70s though. Even the Germans are starting drilling on wee farms in Niedersachsen for the few drops they still have there.
    After the hard data you have to judge a little on what is deliberately being moved around and 'pushed' to one side or the other of a balance sheet. In the present case there is little evidence in favour of this being done to shed independent finances in a good light. Which has a reason (and it aint a sentimental one!).

    Going beyond the financial (as the instant one looks in ones own sporran one is not only selfish but nationalist, as I gather many english do not own a sporran...) there are many very sensible reasons for the rest of the UK to agree that Scotland should be separate; the EU voting rules if they go through being one...




    Complain about this comment

  • 85. At 3:40pm on 25 Jun 2008, minceandmealie wrote:

    Anglophone
    I'm quite sure it is true that you have never met a German who thought it would be a good idea to break their country into smaller bits. I haven't met any Englishmen who wished to break their country into smaller bits either.

    But, to return to my slightly tongue-in-cheek post way back at #8, have you met any Austrians who regretted the end of their union with Germany and wished to resume it?

    What with all those common historical links, shared language, common border, many born in one country living in the other or visiting on holiday, you would think that a union would make as much sense for those two countries as it is said to do for Scotland and England...pehaps we can look forward to Douglas Alexander or Des Browne advising the Austrians of their folly sometime soon.....

    Complain about this comment

  • 86. At 3:42pm on 25 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    Various Posts - Gardinera

    Sorry - it must be my advancing years but I have read your posts several times and I've not been able to understand a single one.

    What are you smoking? I wrote a slightly caveated piece on supporting the EU and I'm suddenly a Sun-reader. I'm still troubled by your definition of nation and non-nation states. Not meaning to sound too fuddy-duddy but I find that a bit of proof reading never does any harm.

    But most of all I'm troubled by the fact that my very reasoned reply to Dougi-Dubh's challenge doesn't get posted. It's not full of insults or invective so maybe it's too long. Is there a word limit?

    Complain about this comment

  • 87. At 4:10pm on 25 Jun 2008, gardinera wrote:

    OK, time to rise to a challenge.

    I don't smoke (anything). Sometimes posts arrive while I'm typing, sometimes I reply to multiple points in one post.

    Thomas talked about 'giving all our powers away to the EU'.

    Apart from alignment of legal issues this 'giving away of powers' is a Europhobe red herring. Apparently super-hero humour died a death there.

    A nation state is a fundemental entity which you can look up in any half decent book on international relations. Basically France is a nation state, Germany is a federal republic, Italy is... I dont know if theyve decided yet....
    The EU is not a state of any kind.

    The UK is an interesting mix of consitiutional monarchy, multination-union state, devolved powers and some other factors.

    So; a challenge for someone else to rise to for Anglophone - is there a single term for what the UK is?


    Complain about this comment

  • 88. At 4:18pm on 25 Jun 2008, inmykip wrote:

    #81 yes Brig when it comes to whining you certainly do partake in far too many units but well done anyway Brig. at least you know what you are, unlike many (but not all) of your Unionist brothers and sisters in here.

    Keep up with the old hypocriscy though, I'm sure given time you'll make a great Union politician, you might even give Wendy Alexander a run for her money, it might not do your credibility much good but like Wendy I'm sure you'll brass neck it till the end.

    Complain about this comment

  • 89. At 4:39pm on 25 Jun 2008, inmykip wrote:

    #87 a guddle.

    Complain about this comment

  • 90. At 4:52pm on 25 Jun 2008, Planejock wrote:

    Thomas Porter:

    #78. Agreed. Could we put it down to the fact that due to a raging toothache I was more than slightly short-tempered, being unable to sleep? (See the times of my posts). I was out of line and do apologise.

    Complain about this comment

  • 91. At 4:55pm on 25 Jun 2008, inmykip wrote:

    #87 a stramash.

    Complain about this comment

  • 92. At 5:06pm on 25 Jun 2008, inmykip wrote:

    #90 nice to see some common decency in here.

    Complain about this comment

  • 93. At 5:27pm on 25 Jun 2008, brigadierjohn wrote:

    InMyKip: Just a suggestion of losing the plot there? How many units?
    I'm too honest to be a politician. The PC mob would crucify me for telling it like it is.
    I could never stand up and parrot a party line over and over again, when I knew it was a damned lie. And I don't believe that a lie repeated often enough becomes the truth.
    As for standing as a Unionist... you just don't get it, do you. How often have I said it - the moment I see something better, I'll vote for it.

    Complain about this comment

  • 94. At 5:54pm on 25 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    87 - How about "A Slugfest"

    Complain about this comment

  • 95. At 6:13pm on 25 Jun 2008, Anglophone wrote:

    87 Gardinera

    Sorry to interrupt the script but I maybe slightly more up to speed on the constitution (small "c") of the EU than you think. Sorry but I don't read either the Sun or the Daily Mail so you should think of some other pigeon-holes. You're right, the EU is not a nation state but I think that it may have some pretensions in that direction.

    That aside, I'm a little puzzled by your definition of nation states and federal states as most of the nation states you mention were in their history divided up into seperate entities before they evolved as "country". What you mean is that a federal state has a degree of devolved powers (invisibility, ability to fly etc.) managed by local legislatures e.g. Germany, USA etc. Wheras the UK is a funny mixture of both, though failing to neatly classify something, is not grounds for it abolition and replacement with something that you can.

    As you are a keen student of international relations I'm surprised that you didn't use Metternich's description of Italy..."it's not a country! It's a geographical expression". I think that Nats should be careful that the EU doesn't view Scotland the same way.

    PS: I did like and I did get the super-hero gag. It's nice to meet someone on these blogs who can attach a little humour.

    Complain about this comment

  • 96. At 6:28pm on 25 Jun 2008, ballochian wrote:

    "would of "

    Thomas, please, please... that's the second time I've seen you write that!!!!!

    Grrrrrrrr!!!!

    Complain about this comment

  • 97. At 7:10pm on 25 Jun 2008, inmykip wrote:

    #93 I really must apologise Brig. I've obviously mis-interpreted many of your previous postings, especially those ranting ones you've submitted against independence and the personalised attacks on its supporters. I really don't know what I was thinking off, I should have seen they were actually full of well balanced and reasoned arguments. Looks like you are correct again Brig, I am losing the plot...........

    Complain about this comment

  • 98. At 7:22pm on 25 Jun 2008, inmykip wrote:

    #87 toast

    Complain about this comment

  • 99. At 7:25pm on 25 Jun 2008, inmykip wrote:

    #87 disequilibrate

    Complain about this comment

  • 100. At 10:37pm on 25 Jun 2008, brigadierjohn wrote:

    InMyKip: At least you had the sense to go off and watch the football. Good, wasn't it?
    As to the blogs, I'm just trying to draw out what you really think. You know, behind the reasonable facade?

    Complain about this comment

  • 101. At 10:39pm on 25 Jun 2008, brigadierjohn wrote:

    #87 - Misrepresented

    Complain about this comment

  • 102. At 11:50am on 26 Jun 2008, Fit Like wrote:

    #87 - A bureach (assuming that's how to spell it. My written Gaelic really isn't up to scratch).

    Complain about this comment

  • 103. At 12:50pm on 26 Jun 2008, Dougie MacDuibh wrote:

    #87

    - Over-represented

    - Anachronistic

    - Dilapidated

    Complain about this comment

  • 104. At 10:13pm on 28 Dec 2008, dennisjunior1 wrote:

    Brian:

    Question: I'm speaking as a guest of the Deutsch Britifche Gesellschaft. It used to be known as the Deustche Englische Gesellschaft. How things change.

    [What is this service or organisation]....

    **I hope that you had an enjoyable visit and gave many good pieces of advise**

    ~Dennis Junior~

    Complain about this comment

View these comments in RSS

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.